Author Topic: FF7 High-Res and Music Question  (Read 6412 times)

SilentDreams769

FF7 High-Res and Music Question
« on: 2009-06-16 00:21:30 »
Okay I'm a long time fan of the FF games, but new to this whole PC tweaking bit. I do have to say it's absolutely fantastic but I had a few questions I'm hoping someone could help with.
I'm not great with computers, although I know a fair share. But this is all new to me and I have no idea where to start really. I downloaded the high-res patch and did what it said, but my FF7 is still in the normal screen resolution.
I know it's supposed to be for 1280x960 or something close to that, the thing is I don't have a 1280x960 screen. I have a 1366x768 screen. Is this the reason my high res patch won't work? Cuz I don't have the right resolution?? If it's not could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, about the FF7 music patch about switching the midis with mp3s, I'm really confused about this. I saw the stickied thread but do you need to have the actual MP3's on your computer for the ff7 music patch to work? Or will the patch convert them? If not, where can I find the ingame mp3s?

I'm sorry if these are noob questions, but when it comes to this stuff, I really am a noob. Thanks in advance.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 High-Res and Music Question
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-16 08:01:20 »
You don't need the high-res patch any more; Aail's custom graphics driver will let you play the game in whatever resolution you want.

And you do need the mp3s on your computer for ff7music to work. mp3s of the OST are all over the internet, but I suppose that I should encourage you to buy them...

The Great Sephiroth

• I have been chosen to be the leader of this Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-17 17:27:18 »
Aail's custom graphics driver :? What is that :? Can you explain or post a link. I would like to play FF7 in 1440x900 :-)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-18 20:32:51 »
Aali's Custom Graphics Driver is an improved graphic driver for Final Fantasy VII that uses OpenGL, created by none other than "Aali", a celebrated member of this forum. This driver improves the game in many ways such by improving 3D rendering, fixing excessively fast part of the game on modern computers, handling Video playback, and much more. You can find it here:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

Although, I don't exactly know how it allows resolution change.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-18 20:39:50 »
resolution change by the cfg file found in the folder.   See that lnk for more info

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-18 20:44:53 »
I assume you are referring to ff7_opengl.cfg? It can be opened by drag and drop into Notepad.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-18 21:32:04 »
just double click it and when it says it doesn't know how to open it choose to open it from a program fro ma list, then choose notepad, and you'll be set.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-18 21:44:05 »
Yes, that's possible too. Drag and drop, double-click, Open With..., Notepad's File->Open..., etc. they are all possible.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-18 21:46:01 »
Oh, i had no idea on the drag and drop. New thing to use  :-D

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-06-19 09:00:45 »
Aail's custom graphics driver :? What is that :? Can you explain or post a link. I would like to play FF7 in 1440x900 :-)
After having installed Aali's driver and having opened the ff7_opengl.cfg file, search for this section:
Code: [Select]
window_size_x = 1280
window_size_y = 960
preserve_aspect = true
fullscreen = true
Change window_size_x and windows_size_y to the screen resolution that you like. In this example, I have changed mine to 1280x960.

Oh, i had no idea on the drag and drop. New thing to use  :-D
Drag and drop was around for 18 years now and you had no idea? Is that a joke? If it is then :LOL: If it is not, then get this: Most Microsoft and Adobe products work with drag and drop. Usually, dragging and dropping a file into the window or icon of a program like Notepad, Paint, Word, Photoshop, etc. opens the files. Since I nearly always have a Word or Notepad open, I usually just drag and drop .cfg file, rather than (1) right-clicking the file, (2) clicking Open With..., (3) Clicking "Let me select[~snip~]", (4) searching for Notepad, (5) clicking OK; Oooooooh, that's a lot of clicking!!!

And by the way, Word acts very cool when it comes to drag and drop! If you drag a file to its title bar, it opens that file. If you drag and drop it into the document text area, it Word makes the file an attachment! Cool, isn't it? Especially for bloggers...
« Last Edit: 2009-06-19 09:06:59 by FleetCommand »