Author Topic: World map?  (Read 6810 times)

Hermoor

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Hermoor's Youtube
World map?
« on: 2009-06-18 04:36:51 »
Hey, I just wonder if this is possible. Almost everything else has or is being done at the moment. Editing the field backgrounds, getting better music, hi res models. If you can edit the battle models and the field models editing the world map should be possible too right? The world map could look much much better. To be honest, it looks like crap!

If someone could get it out of the game somehow, we could make some changes. For example, give the mountains much better shape. Editing all the towns to look better. Fixing grass textures, mountain textures etc...fixing the sky box texture. This wouldn't take a long time to change...we could at least make it look as good as in Final Fantasy VIII.

The question is how easy is it to get it out and then re insert it.

Re: World map?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-18 07:21:48 »
I think you can with 3D RIpper and 3ds max i am not sure.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-18 10:13:00 »
AFAIK not much is known about how the world map works at all; the world map section on the wiki is far smaller than the sections with information on field and battles (for example).

Unfortunately, this means there are several other problems as well as not being able to improve graphics; we can't mess around with encounters, scripting and dialogue either. I hope that someone tells me I'm wrong about this... :-P

Terid__K

« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-18 10:28:10 »
World Map looks fine if you disable linear filtering. A bit pixelated, but very acceptable for a game this old.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-18 15:00:15 »
AFAIK not much is known about how the world map works at all; the world map section on the wiki is far smaller than the sections with information on field and battles (for example).

Unfortunately, this means there are several other problems as well as not being able to improve graphics; we can't mess around with encounters, scripting and dialogue either. I hope that someone tells me I'm wrong about this... :-P

I think NFITC1 and secondadvent are searching for the encounter command, and maybe already found it.  Dialogue can easily be edited with loveless and one other program (maybe meteor?)  I'm sure scripting isn't too far off in the future.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-18 16:41:54 »
I'd like to see a better looking world map but I'm of the opinion that there are other parts of the game that need improving beyond that of the world map.

Do you have a screenshot of the improved rocket town?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-18 17:32:59 »
I think NFITC1 and secondadvent are searching for the encounter command, and maybe already found it.  Dialogue can easily be edited with loveless and one other program (maybe meteor?)  I'm sure scripting isn't too far off in the future.

Wait, don't they only edit the flevel file? So they wouldn't be able to edit anything on the world map.

I'd like to see a better looking world map but I'm of the opinion that there are other parts of the game that need improving beyond that of the world map.

There may be other parts of the game that need more graphical updates, but I can't think of much else that needs more research and reverse engineering.

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-18 18:37:59 »
i also saw the new rocket for the world map of rocket town, i believe the model was from crisis core...ill try and find it and post a link

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-18 18:44:57 »

Wait, don't they only edit the flevel file? So they wouldn't be able to edit anything on the world map.

You may be right, I've practically given up trying to follow what those two are doing, it's too over my head

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-06-18 18:44:56 »
Someone should look into how to mod the world map. I think I saw somewhere someone that had replaced the rocket town with a better model. Maybe someone has already figured it out.  :-P

its from the Ultima espio and neocloudstrife Crisis core model project
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8283.0

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-06-18 19:08:17 »
The problem with that is, the rocket is supposed to be beaten up and worn out....it doesnt look like the rocket at all.  Still it is a good example and mod.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-18 19:20:34 by Seifer Almasy »

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-06-18 19:37:39 »
i fell the same way seifer, i look at it as a proof of concept thing, but i assume if they can do that for rocket town they should be able to do it for every town right? and i dont know about changing the actual model for the whole map cuz for one it would be a gigantic model i assume but maybe they whole thing can be retextured

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-06-18 19:53:37 »
That isn't really editing the world map as such, it's editing a model that appears on the world map, which is different (like how editing a field model from the char.lgp is different from editing a background from the flevel.lgp).

AFAIK, the models that appear on the world map are in a different file (world_us.lgp) from the world map itself.

I'm not completely sure about this and I hope it's one of those times when I'm talking complete nonsense, but I think it's true.

As for making models to replace the world map, it might be possible, or the game might hate them and refuse to work. I remember that the use of 3D models was once proposed as a solution to the low-res field screen backgrounds, but I don't think anyone tried it out.