Author Topic: Menu Reconstruction [WIP]  (Read 78610 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Menu Reconstruction [WIP]
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-14 13:28:28 »
No longer applicable
« Last Edit: 2010-07-20 04:47:58 by seif »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-14 15:26:43 »
Wow nice progress seif!

As for the menu design, I just thought of something we hadn't really considered: left alignment
Just like FFXII and FFXIII. Makes more sense really since English is left to right.

Here is an example, I think it looks pretty good:

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-14 15:36:34 »
That is actually impossible to do....the menu text on the right (left on your pic) isn't allowed to move as it animates to the other menus.  They are all linked.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-06-14 16:17:23 »
That is actually impossible to do....the menu text on the right (left on your pic) isn't allowed to move as it animates to the other menus.  They are all linked.

Ahh I see what you mean, didn't notice that animation. :P

Well anyway, ignoring the fact that the boxes are on the left (imagine them on the right), how do you like the design?
Makes the page a nice neat rectangle with no boxes going off the edges, and no black gaps. (So it's more like every other page in the menu).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-14 16:21:31 »
Not bad :)  though personally I think having parts lower or higher up with spaces works reasonably well too :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-06-14 17:14:54 »
Wow nice progress seif!

As for the menu design, I just thought of something we hadn't really considered: left alignment
Just like FFXII and FFXIII. Makes more sense really since English is left to right.

Definitely a fan of this.   Maybe one day.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-06-16 16:12:13 »
Whilst looking at the Japanese menu, I noticed that there may be an alternative which looks more or less like the old PC version but slightly better so I will get onto that and then we will see what the preference is.

The Japanese menu's are all nice and tidy as you would expect...

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-06-16 19:38:49 »
I suggest to put the area box to the right edge of the screen

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-06-16 19:53:19 »
I suggest to put the area box to the right edge of the screen

The above is an idea by someone else (and can't work inside the game) ....the area box is to the right.  See top post.  I will be amending that one too.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-17 14:47:26 »
Having spent a lot of time now arranging and rearranging and looking at the Japanese PSX game, I can tell you that there simply is no way to make this look as good.  I am guessing that the reason it doesn't fit as well as the PSX is because of 640*480 grid as opposed to 320*240.

Whatever the reason there is always going to be an issue here with at least something.  I like to think that my attempt is pretty damn good  :-D

So here it is....pretty much done.

I may move Time box and Area box up a little so it matches the next level bar (as the PSX does)

Ok and a final revision:

What do you think?  Gemini notes that the Right menu looks ugly.  Not sure what I can do about that without breaking the animation but I guess Kranmer and I can look into it.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-17 16:11:08 by seif »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-06-17 23:14:09 »
Wow nice progress seif!

I just tried making a left handed menu quickly, It was edited on the fly and i didn't use any measurements so things may look off or just too close together but since this was just a test that shouldn't matter to much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54kAV4h9AU
you may notice i removed the box that they are in, this is because if i had left the box alone you would end up with a box in the middle of each menu (the box is in each menu so if i move it over to the left you end up with a small box on the left, usually in the middle of avatar's or text).
« Last Edit: 2010-06-17 23:18:21 by kranmer »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-06-18 11:03:47 »
Without the box just doesnt look right.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-06-18 13:16:50 »
Without the box just doesn't look right.

I know it doesn't look quite right, but here is what sub menu's look like if you leave it in

It may be possible to extend the other boxes to make it look like the original but it wouldn't be quite the same.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-06-18 13:41:12 »
Wow nice progress seif!

I just tried making a left handed menu quickly, It was edited on the fly and i didn't use any measurements so things may look off or just too close together but since this was just a test that shouldn't matter to much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54kAV4h9AU
you may notice i removed the box that they are in, this is because if i had left the box alone you would end up with a box in the middle of each menu (the box is in each menu so if i move it over to the left you end up with a small box on the left, usually in the middle of avatar's or text).
I can't believe its possible!! I for one don't have any problem with it but can you move the area box where "midgar area" is shown to the right?? So that it will be seperated with time and gil. I know its just an experiment but it's just a suggestion. Nice work man!! :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-06-18 13:55:25 »
The menu on the left just isn't an option like that, plus it doesn't look any better imho....

If someone wants to make a modification to the patch I make I am ok with it though :)  But left hand menu just doesn't look as good, plus it doesn't animate....It seems to me to be breaking animation and the way it was designed for the sake of it.  Still, pretty cool that you managed that Kranmer :)

Is it possible to move that box down a bit from my original so that it doesn't look so hopelessly out of place?

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-06-18 16:10:43 »
Ok and a final revision:

What do you think?  Gemini notes that the Right menu looks ugly.  Not sure what I can do about that without breaking the animation but I guess Kranmer and I can look into it.

Wow coming along really well, this is the best one so far!

Shuffle

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-06-18 17:21:47 »
Is it possible to add some background picture to the menu?

lorddolor1989

• only thing a man needs is the love of a woman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-06-18 20:11:20 »
Is it possible to add some background picture to the menu?
I am with Shuffle

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-06-18 21:40:56 »
I am sure it is possible to hack a pic in if you know how to program...sadly not my dept with this game :(

As for the above, I think that is pretty much as good as it is going to get.  We can't move that menu anywhere without breaking the animation.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-06-18 21:56:49 »
Gotta admit, I really like the final version

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-06-19 01:35:48 »
It is the other menus which are giving us most hassle.  The whole thing needed reconstructing...every single menu has large amounts of issues as you will see when I document the full before and after :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-06-20 03:59:56 »
Won't be long now....as you can see I am off bed again at 5 AM.  It is time consuming and stupid.  There are multiple text values for the same window but different action too.

If you go into magic menu for example, the description text values are different for Magic, Summon and E Skill despite being in exactly the same place.

There are still  a few things I am unhappy about too, but that can be left til the end and people have looked over this.  Whatever, it is still  amassive improvement.

AngeBleu

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-06-20 10:22:41 »
Wow nice progress seif!

How did you make that Krammer ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54kAV4h9AU

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-06-20 10:33:25 »
Won't be long now....as you can see I am off bed again at 5 AM.  It is time consuming and stupid.  There are multiple text values for the same window but different action too.

If you go into magic menu for example, the description text values are different for Magic, Summon and E Skill despite being in exactly the same place.

There are still  a few things I am unhappy about too, but that can be left til the end and people have looked over this.  Whatever, it is still  amassive improvement.

Oh I'm sure it's still a great improvement.
Will the removal of the useless attack / defend status effects be a part of this release, or is that still separate?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-06-20 11:49:28 »
Wow nice progress seif!

How did you make that Krammer ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54kAV4h9AU

I did it using a dissembler (any dissembler would probably work but for the above i used ollydbg) and changing the opcodes while the game was running which allow me to move the stuff around.