Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4839875 times)

PokeFaize

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8775 on: 2019-12-01 02:23:07 »
Well that was something. I got Ribbons on everyone, and slapped Hades/Transform=Added Effect & Barrier/Titan=Elemental on Cid's & Red's weapons, which let me actually fight a very unique looking Nemesis. He still did a crapton of damage with Ultra Spark and could still oneshot with Ethereal Cannon, which made the fight not very fun.

I take it the Hero's Medal alters the Final Battle? If so, I should probably save in a different slot so I can experience the normal NT final boss.

EDIT:
I used the unnamed instakill Item on Carmine Weapon, and it didn't kill it, but rather broke its AI? Then I hit it a few times, and it died after Cid missed with a Tornado... about 3-4 minutes had passed since I had used it at the start of the battle before the instant death kicked in. Is it a heavily delayed instakill?
« Last Edit: 2019-12-01 02:41:41 by PokeFaize »

Torus

• View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: 2019-12-01 08:59:22 »
Been playing some more, and noticed the game doesn't warn you about the 5th Fort Condor battle (the one in the narrow window between the campfire scene and killing the Gi Nattak boss), nor does it offer you a teleport to the Fort. It's a pretty crucial time for the teleport ability too, because if you broke down your buggy, this battle becomes completely unavailable.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I GUESS. I was absolutely not expecting the Fort Condor guy in the sealed cave hahahaha. You got me.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-01 09:09:35 by Torus »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: 2019-12-01 11:29:00 »
Well that was something. I got Ribbons on everyone, and slapped Hades/Transform=Added Effect & Barrier/Titan=Elemental on Cid's & Red's weapons, which let me actually fight a very unique looking Nemesis. He still did a crapton of damage with Ultra Spark and could still oneshot with Ethereal Cannon, which made the fight not very fun.

I take it the Hero's Medal alters the Final Battle? If so, I should probably save in a different slot so I can experience the normal NT final boss.

EDIT:
I used the unnamed instakill Item on Carmine Weapon, and it didn't kill it, but rather broke its AI? Then I hit it a few times, and it died after Cid missed with a Tornado... about 3-4 minutes had passed since I had used it at the start of the battle before the instant death kicked in. Is it a heavily delayed instakill?

It used to but not anymore. It doesn't really do anything anymore, like the mark of omega in FF8.

Carmine not dying in one hit might be due to the eyes.

Been playing some more, and noticed the game doesn't warn you about the 5th Fort Condor battle (the one in the narrow window between the campfire scene and killing the Gi Nattak boss), nor does it offer you a teleport to the Fort. It's a pretty crucial time for the teleport ability too, because if you broke down your buggy, this battle becomes completely unavailable.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I GUESS. I was absolutely not expecting the Fort Condor guy in the sealed cave hahahaha. You got me.

He is everywhere and nowhere. Always watching.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: 2019-12-01 17:23:44 »
Now that I have Pandora's Box (that was a fun boss battle), I should probably ask:
Which Materias grant the Hidden Element when paired with the Elemental Materia? and does Shield block Hidden Element?

And does winning all Fort Condor battles still net you a "free" Masamune?

EDIT:
That Zack boss battle is super frickin YIKES! holy frick it's so bad. Cloud dies in like 2 hits if he doesn't have Wall up, Lucky Stars makes all of Zack's physical attacks instantly kill Cloud, and having over Sense's HP Limit?? Sorry, but that's just WAY too much for a 1v1. I hope Zack gets a huge nerf in the final version (unless I'm completely missing how to deal with the Zack fight).
« Last Edit: 2019-12-01 17:56:04 by PokeFaize »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: 2019-12-01 19:44:48 »
Now that I have Pandora's Box (that was a fun boss battle), I should probably ask:
Which Materias grant the Hidden Element when paired with the Elemental Materia? and does Shield block Hidden Element?

And does winning all Fort Condor battles still net you a "free" Masamune?

EDIT:
That Zack boss battle is super frickin YIKES! holy frick it's so bad. Cloud dies in like 2 hits if he doesn't have Wall up, Lucky Stars makes all of Zack's physical attacks instantly kill Cloud, and having over Sense's HP Limit?? Sorry, but that's just WAY too much for a 1v1. I hope Zack gets a huge nerf in the final version (unless I'm completely missing how to deal with the Zack fight).

Most Materia that don't have an element associated give Hidden; this is because Materia can't be non-elemental. Magic Materia with no element attached will do the trick; the element they give, if any, is listed in gold text on the Materia when equipping. If no text, assume it gives Hidden.

Fort Condor gives a Masamune if all battles are won through the minigame; if the enemy reaches the shed, it's not considered a proper victory by the game (which is no why item is given after the minigame if it resolves in this way in default game). Battles that are settled through funds are considered victories though, and Fort Condor starts with enough funds to cover the unreachable battles that remain.

The Zack battle is fairly high-end and will need a good amount of kit to resolve cleanly. There are different ways of doing it, but in 1v1 fights counter materia tend to be the best option. Magic Counter on a healing spell and counter-attack/command counter will ease things. Shield is generally a good thing to bring along, perhaps paired with Sneak Attack; it won't block every attack but it will stop most of them. Dispel should also be taken in to remove the Lucky Stars effect ASAP as this grants auto-criticals. Slow-Haste can help as well (the amount it helps depends on ATB setting). He attacks on a fixed cycle, but will use a one-time special ability when his HP hits a certain threshold.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: 2019-12-01 21:12:22 »
I had tried slapping a ton of Counter Materias on Cloud with a x4 Cut and Barrier Materia, and the Life(/Force?) Stealer, and Zack still beat Cloud into dust. I dunno if I'll bother with beating Zack with how excessively powerful he is for a 1v1, and Cloud is, more often than not, dead weight when I'm forced to use him, compared to just about any other character. (Pretty pretty please consider letting us throw Cloud in the trash upon leaving Midgar in the final version of NT)

With everything (but the Zack Flashback) completed, I finally took on Sephiroth. Oddly enough, Pinnacle Sephiroth only wanted me to put together one team instead of 3. Very nice fight, keeping me on my toes the whole time. Keter Sephiroth is honestly laughable, much like Safer Sephiroth. A crippling weakness to Holy and low defense (Cid and Red were almost always hitting for 9999 with x4 Cut, and Long Range on Cid and Red proved useful here), and he was down pretty quickly. Cloud being the forced dead weight he always is in my run just slowed down the fight. Had I been able to use Aerith instead of Cloud, Aerith W-Casting Quad-Holy would've obliterated Kater Sephiroth even faster (yes, I could've done this with Cloud, but Cloud can't heal the gang's MP to full with a Slash All on the party)

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: 2019-12-02 07:45:19 »
Hey all,

Having a great time with this mod. It's exactly what I needed after 22 years of playing the same game.

Is there any way to re spec characters if you change your mind?

Thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: 2019-12-02 08:26:51 »
Hey all,

Having a great time with this mod. It's exactly what I needed after 22 years of playing the same game.

Is there any way to re spec characters if you change your mind?

Thanks

Not currently; it can be done manually using a save editor by setting the Source values to 0 and then adding them back on. Each rank gives +5 to all stats, then you add on your rank choice to it. There's a set of new opcodes for field scripting that I'm going to implement with the final build that allows respecs in-game and which removes the need for sources in the first place.

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: 2019-12-02 10:36:31 »
Not currently; it can be done manually using a save editor by setting the Source values to 0 and then adding them back on. Each rank gives +5 to all stats, then you add on your rank choice to it. There's a set of new opcodes for field scripting that I'm going to implement with the final build that allows respecs in-game and which removes the need for sources in the first place.

Ok thanks for that. It's no big deal I just wondered.

Having a really good time with this so far. The touch up of the script in particular is really well done. You've managed to make ambiguous or weird sounding lines/plot points seem much clearer without sacrificing the feel of the original script. Great work.

Do you have an ETA on your final build?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: 2019-12-02 10:56:50 »
Ok thanks for that. It's no big deal I just wondered.

Having a really good time with this so far. The touch up of the script in particular is really well done. You've managed to make ambiguous or weird sounding lines/plot points seem much clearer without sacrificing the feel of the original script. Great work.

Do you have an ETA on your final build?

Nothing concrete, but I want to get it released at least a month before the remake comes out.

Hoboayoyo

• View Profile
FF7 NT bug round up.
« Reply #8785 on: 2019-12-02 21:12:21 »
Please let me know if there is an easier way to report these.
-Fav ff mod, brave new world made me sad :(
 - Arrange mode only
Visual issue.
On this screen on Mt corel, cloud becomes giant when the rest of the characters are on screen. I think when you progress and come back cloud is normal size. http://ff7.opatil.com/img/map/41-03.png
Limit breaks
Yufi's clear tranquil does nothing with mp, restores HP which is still really helpful.
Areith: Breath of earth does not heal, only does it's esuna effect.

Boss:
Only fought 1 demon wall and seemed pretty normal, I think im supposed to fight 2 at once?

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: 2019-12-02 23:08:42 »
Another question.

What are the requirements for learning limits for each character?

Would be handy to know the numbers.

Thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: 2019-12-02 23:30:56 »
Another question.

What are the requirements for learning limits for each character?

Would be handy to know the numbers.

Thanks

The kills are total, so for Cloud to learn 3-1 he needs 180 kills total and not 90 kills for 2-1 followed by 180 kills.

Spoiler: show
Cloud
1-2: 8 uses
2-1: 90 kills
2-2: 7 uses
3-1: 180 kills
3-2: 6 uses

Barret
1-2: 9 uses
2-1: 60 kills
2-2: 8 uses
3-1: 110 kills

Tifa
1-2: 9 uses
2-1: 60 kills
3-1: 110 kills

Aeris
2-1: 50 kills
2-2: 6 uses
3-1: 100 kills
3-2: 5 uses

Red XIII

Yuffie

Cait Sith
1-2: 4 uses (Transform)
2-1: 30 kills

Vincent
2-1: 6 kills
3-1: 12 kills

Cid
1-2: 7 uses
2-1: 30 kills
2-2: 6 uses
3-1: 60 kills
3-2: 5 uses

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 NT bug round up.
« Reply #8788 on: 2019-12-03 14:53:49 »
Please let me know if there is an easier way to report these.
-Fav ff mod, brave new world made me sad :(
 - Arrange mode only
Visual issue.
On this screen on Mt corel, cloud becomes giant when the rest of the characters are on screen. I think when you progress and come back cloud is normal size. http://ff7.opatil.com/img/map/41-03.png
Limit breaks
Yufi's clear tranquil does nothing with mp, restores HP which is still really helpful.
Areith: Breath of earth does not heal, only does it's esuna effect.

Boss:
Only fought 1 demon wall and seemed pretty normal, I think im supposed to fight 2 at once?

The giant Cloud bug is specific to the PC version, and isn't mod-specific. Cause is unknown but it seems to occur in specific places; Bugenhagen's Observatory is another confirmed location where it can occur. The size of the model is likely being set so high it overflows, resulting in a giant upside down model (battle models also do this if they grow in size too much).

Your Limit Breaks are default ones, which means the .exe part of the mod hasn't been applied. If using the installer, this will likely be a patching/file security issue of some sort. If using 7h, then hext hasn't been configured properly (or it is an older version of NT IRO, like 1.4).

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: 2019-12-03 22:24:36 »
Thanks for the info!

And am I being stupid or is there a hidden character to unlock? The SP status menu seems to suggest that there is.

Apologies as I'm probably asking for a massive spoiler.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8790 on: 2019-12-03 22:45:39 »
Thanks for the info!

And am I being stupid or is there a hidden character to unlock? The SP status menu seems to suggest that there is.

Apologies as I'm probably asking for a massive spoiler.

I'm afraid not, that was me being stupid and copy-pasting debug text/script over to a hundred or whatever it is fields that have Save Points in them and not thinking ahead to what a huge pain it would be to remove it from every single one.

Hoboayoyo

• View Profile
Re: FF7 NT bug round up.
« Reply #8791 on: 2019-12-04 15:15:07 »
Ah, will check that out, thanks.

tjlg1377

• View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: 2019-12-05 17:58:06 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Playing through New Threat in Arrange Mode. Excellent job. Really enjoying it. Thanks so much for the hard work you've put in.

New to Qhimm so I hope this post isn't breaking any protocols but encountered a soft lock in my play through and was wondering if you could help me out.

So again, I'm playing in Arrange Mode. Leaving Shinra HQ with Aeris, Barret and Red XIII. When starting the battle with ?Thousand Gunner? in the elevator, the battle screen loads with Thousand Gunner and his two chopper gunner supports on either side. Thousand Gunner shoots the elevator glass. The camera re-adjusts to the standard battle view and the two chopper gunner support enemies then kind of re-enter the battle frame by flying down from above. At that point the soft lock occurs. All battle gauges are frozen and no amount of time or button mashing seems to rectify the issue.

I've tried using both elevators (left and right), shuffling character order and materia and still can't seem to get it to budge. I am playing through 7th heaven via a steam Final Fantasy 7.exe with the following mods in the following load order:

Dynamic Cloud Weapons
Battle Models - Weapons
Field Models - Objects
Animations
Battle Models Characters
Battle Models Enemies
Field Models Main Characters
Field Models Non Player Characters
New Threat
Gameplay Tweaks and Cheats (Only using Always Run and Save/PHS anywhere)
Menu Avatars and Backdrops
Minigames Collection
Spell Textures
Word Models Vehicles

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: 2019-12-05 18:06:10 by tjlg1377 »

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: 2019-12-05 19:02:36 »
Something I wanna note real quick is that early to mid game, Mage Character builds are very starved of Materia slots if they stick to Magic+ weapons and armor, while physical and tank builds are drowning in Materia slots with no real purpose for most of them, aside from throwing in Command and Summon Materia to improve their Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity.

Also the Elemental and Added Effect materia have pretty harsh penalties, especially for early game where people will be the most experimental with their builds.

I also find it odd that Magic Materia would lower your Spirit Stat instead of Strength when, typically, Mages are notorious for having high Magic Defense. Even at endgame, Spirit in general is super easy to end up dropping to 0, while getting Strength anywhere close to or even below the character's innate Strength value is more difficult than trying to take on Zack.

Would you consider tweaking these problems for the final version?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: 2019-12-05 22:01:19 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Playing through New Threat in Arrange Mode. Excellent job. Really enjoying it. Thanks so much for the hard work you've put in.

New to Qhimm so I hope this post isn't breaking any protocols but encountered a soft lock in my play through and was wondering if you could help me out.

So again, I'm playing in Arrange Mode. Leaving Shinra HQ with Aeris, Barret and Red XIII. When starting the battle with ?Thousand Gunner? in the elevator, the battle screen loads with Thousand Gunner and his two chopper gunner supports on either side. Thousand Gunner shoots the elevator glass. The camera re-adjusts to the standard battle view and the two chopper gunner support enemies then kind of re-enter the battle frame by flying down from above. At that point the soft lock occurs. All battle gauges are frozen and no amount of time or button mashing seems to rectify the issue.

I've tried using both elevators (left and right), shuffling character order and materia and still can't seem to get it to budge. I am playing through 7th heaven via a steam Final Fantasy 7.exe with the following mods in the following load order:

Dynamic Cloud Weapons
Battle Models - Weapons
Field Models - Objects
Animations
Battle Models Characters
Battle Models Enemies
Field Models Main Characters
Field Models Non Player Characters
New Threat
Gameplay Tweaks and Cheats (Only using Always Run and Save/PHS anywhere)
Menu Avatars and Backdrops
Minigames Collection
Spell Textures
Word Models Vehicles

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Have you ever had 60fps mod installed or in use at any point? It seems to leave alterations behind when uninstalled as there was a user recently with the same issue; the Gunners battle would specifically freeze at that point (it's probably something to do with frame interpolation).

Something I wanna note real quick is that early to mid game, Mage Character builds are very starved of Materia slots if they stick to Magic+ weapons and armor, while physical and tank builds are drowning in Materia slots with no real purpose for most of them, aside from throwing in Command and Summon Materia to improve their Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity.

Also the Elemental and Added Effect materia have pretty harsh penalties, especially for early game where people will be the most experimental with their builds.

I also find it odd that Magic Materia would lower your Spirit Stat instead of Strength when, typically, Mages are notorious for having high Magic Defense. Even at endgame, Spirit in general is super easy to end up dropping to 0, while getting Strength anywhere close to or even below the character's innate Strength value is more difficult than trying to take on Zack.

Would you consider tweaking these problems for the final version?

I went more with defensive penalties over offence penalties because when you load up on Magic materia it can badly affect characters built for strength. Spells like Revive and buff/status magic are a good fit for strength-builds/tanks so they can take some of the MP/slots burden from the casters, but strength penalties make that less attractive. There's also hybrid builds that can use both, say spell + added cut, that benefit from not having strength penalties to deal with.

As for the slots, I knew that casters would want for them so I had the other type of gear have slightly better slots to make it less of an easy decision; the magic buff comes at a cost of less versatility in their slots in most cases. Strength-based characters can use their extra slots for utility Materia, like Sense or Barrier+All for instance.

Elemental and Added Effect offer a really good defensive buff if used properly against special attacks, so the defence loss helps account for it. I think it's the way to go with it, but I'm thinking of tweaking the elemental damage reduction itself in the final, which means I'll be adjusting the penalties on the Materia accordingly. I might make the Added Effect one different from the Elemental one.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: 2019-12-06 06:18:56 »
I went more with defensive penalties over offence penalties because when you load up on Magic materia it can badly affect characters built for strength. Spells like Revive and buff/status magic are a good fit for strength-builds/tanks so they can take some of the MP/slots burden from the casters, but strength penalties make that less attractive. There's also hybrid builds that can use both, say spell + added cut, that benefit from not having strength penalties to deal with.
I personally found the Enemy Skill Materia to be the best option for Hybrids since it gave a ton of options for a mere single Materia Slot, and didn't ruin their defenses. Though I do see your point for them. As for Strength/Tank builds, I find the Status Effect Materia and Summon Materia work perfectly fine for Elemental Materia pairing and providing solid buffs to their important stats.

As for the slots, I knew that casters would want for them so I had the other type of gear have slightly better slots to make it less of an easy decision; the magic buff comes at a cost of less versatility in their slots in most cases. Strength-based characters can use their extra slots for utility Materia, like Sense or Barrier+All for instance.
early to mid game, there's not a whole lot of Materia that physical characters really want, so a Physical Aerith can easily do an Elemental=Status/Summon Materia, Added Effect=Status Materia, and Time/Barrier=All and have plenty of room to spare, while a Magical Cloud with the Mythril Saber and Silver Armlet has just enough for Recover=All, 3-4 Attack Spells, and 1-2 Command Materia depending on how many Magic Materia you give him.

Elemental and Added Effect offer a really good defensive buff if used properly against special attacks, so the defence loss helps account for it. I think it's the way to go with it, but I'm thinking of tweaking the elemental damage reduction itself in the final, which means I'll be adjusting the penalties on the Materia accordingly. I might make the Added Effect one different from the Elemental one.
At endgame, you're better off using Shield, so using Elemental defensively is kinda moot. Not to mention using Elemental defensively is fairly tricky outside of boss battles, since there's rarely, if any, locations where monsters primarily use one element.
Meanwhile Added Effect has strong usage both offensively and defensively with Contain and Hades being a thing. Though both of those are fairly late game, so Added Effect isn't very useful defensively until then. Lagomorph and Seal Materia keep it useful offensively, though.

Torus

• View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: 2019-12-06 16:04:18 »
Are there any plans to update the documentation for the mod? I've had a big headache today because I was trying to learn the now non-existent Magnitude8 from the Gaea Dragon as per the documentation... Only to realize it was changed to Time Flare after googling it... Only to realize an hour later it was, yet again, changed to Dragon Force and not even available from Gaea Dragon as it was immune to Manipulation. Not fun times. :p
« Last Edit: 2019-12-06 16:19:08 by Torus »

tjlg1377

• View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: 2019-12-06 16:47:51 »
Have you ever had 60fps mod installed or in use at any point? It seems to leave alterations behind when uninstalled as there was a user recently with the same issue; the Gunners battle would specifically freeze at that point (it's probably something to do with frame interpolation)

Hey; thanks for getting back to me.

I have not. I do however configure the animations mod with Faster battle animations, enemy deaths and summons.

I removed all mods besides New Threat and was able to progress through the battle. Switched all the mods I listed back on for the bike chase and have encountered no problems since.

OhGodAnOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: 2019-12-07 21:06:02 »
Hey! New to this forum, made an account just to post here;

Great mod! Definitely spruces up the game and gives it enough freshness to last a while :D
Downloaded it and started my first play-trough, currently I am before Gongaga but after the Desert Prison, sitting in the battle square and trying to get myself some of those sweet accessories.. but there is a problem that I ran into, The game either bugged out and keeps giving me slots that are impossible to win or the mod is trying to prevent me from getting too powerful too early.

To elaborate a bit more, each time I enter the Arena, the first series of slots will all be the "Break Magic Materia", next one will all be "Break Accessory" after which will come all "Disable Items", then all "Poison", then all "Minimize" etc.
My question is, is this mean to be some sort of a block to stop people from abusing Reflect Ring&Cursed Ring too early? Is this A bug?
My game is the Steam version, NT was installed directly with no other mods, on a fresh copy of the game.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: 2019-12-07 22:05:57 »
Are there any plans to update the documentation for the mod? I've had a big headache today because I was trying to learn the now non-existent Magnitude8 from the Gaea Dragon as per the documentation... Only to realize it was changed to Time Flare after googling it... Only to realize an hour later it was, yet again, changed to Dragon Force and not even available from Gaea Dragon as it was immune to Manipulation. Not fun times. :p

I think there's a link to a more up to date version on the front page; the files in the download itself are old though.

Hey! New to this forum, made an account just to post here;

Great mod! Definitely spruces up the game and gives it enough freshness to last a while :D
Downloaded it and started my first play-trough, currently I am before Gongaga but after the Desert Prison, sitting in the battle square and trying to get myself some of those sweet accessories.. but there is a problem that I ran into, The game either bugged out and keeps giving me slots that are impossible to win or the mod is trying to prevent me from getting too powerful too early.

To elaborate a bit more, each time I enter the Arena, the first series of slots will all be the "Break Magic Materia", next one will all be "Break Accessory" after which will come all "Disable Items", then all "Poison", then all "Minimize" etc.
My question is, is this mean to be some sort of a block to stop people from abusing Reflect Ring&Cursed Ring too early? Is this A bug?
My game is the Steam version, NT was installed directly with no other mods, on a fresh copy of the game.

The reels come in 'sets' that are supposed to be randomly chosen but the RNG in some cases can repeat if the game is reloaded from a save file (as it's a hard reload). Are you closing the client and then reloading the save when you see that particular reel set? Try going in, then escaping, then going in again. That should get you past that reel set.