Author Topic: Menu Small Artifacts Under Text and Bars [SOLVED]  (Read 2157 times)

AssailantLF

• View Profile

This is a pretty minor issue, but it happens no matter how many times I reinstall, with or without any mods. The only thing that makes them go away is playing at 640x480, or using Reunion R03's menu overhaul. R05c's menu changes show more or less the same artifacts.

All other instances of text (as far as I've noticed) outside the pause/save/load menu and end-battle results screen look fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know how to possibly fix it?

edit: So, apparently this issue is caused by an incorrect/invalid internal resolution, as determined by Aali's driver. My advice to others who run into this: Try different resolutions at factors of 320 x 240, like 1280 x 960, or 2560 x 1920 (both of the latter resolutions work for me).
« Last Edit: 2019-06-11 22:45:02 by AssailantLF »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: Menu Small Artifacts Under Text and Bars
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-26 14:35:30 »
Workshop -> Aali Settings --- Is Texture Cache enabled? Check the [gamedir]\mods\Textures\cache folder to see if anything is left over from a previous install.

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-26 14:41:47 »
Texture cache was disabled and there was no ...\Textures\cache folder, and enabling the option doesn't seem to affect it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-26 15:02:33 »
Didn't ask you to enable it. Texture Cache will save previously loaded texture mods into the cache folder for supposedly faster load times thereafter. But if you disable the mods, the cache folder still remains and loads those textures. I had an issue in the past with menu artifacts because of that reason, and deleting the cache folder resolved it.

Not sure what the problem is if you're running on a fresh install without any mods. 7H won't launch the game without at least one mod active.

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-26 15:18:24 »
Didn't ask you to enable it. Texture Cache will save previously loaded texture mods into the cache folder for supposedly faster load times thereafter. But if you disable the mods, the cache folder still remains and loads those textures. I had an issue in the past with menu artifacts because of that reason, and deleting the cache folder resolved it.

Not sure what the problem is if you're running on a fresh install without any mods. 7H won't launch the game without at least one mod active.

On running with no mods, I guess that wasn't entirely accurate. I ran the game with just the Tweaks and Cheats mod (with all cheats disabled), or with just a simple texture swap.

I figured one of those was practically indifferent from running without mods. Also is there any reason for that limitation, like a bug? Why not just allow the launcher to run with no mods?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-26 15:31:21 »
Wish I could tell you why, but I didn't write the code. I only provided further ideas and testing after Iros created the base tool. 7H will forever be a beta product, at least until someone else comes along and rewrites it without quitting before finishing.

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-26 16:00:14 »
It's no problem, I'm pretty happy with R03c. I mostly made this thread in case others had the issue. Thanks for your time and care

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-29 20:39:05 »
Hey, I solved the problem after a bit of thinking and tinkering!

It turns out that it had to do with the internal resolution, which kinda makes sense since playing at 640x480 was fine. First I doubled it to 7680 x 4320, and to my surprise it worked, except that my laptop wasn't powerful enough to run the game smoothly like that.

So, I tried a variety of 16:9 resolutions above and below the default. Some still had the artifacts, some made different artifacts (on the main menu), some caused the field textures to have big horizontal lines, most distorted my HD field textures to look a bit jagged rather than smooth, but finally I found that 2560 x 1440 is a happy middle ground that (so far) has no artifacts or distortions or slowdown.

Now I can play Reunion R05c with HD textures  8)