Author Topic: crash on clicking 'launch game'  (Read 3015 times)

mWonko

• View Profile
crash on clicking 'launch game'
« on: 2019-05-26 06:29:24 »
I've been at this for about 2 hours, and could use some help. I'm totally stumped. No matter what mods I activate, no matter how many, regardless of whether I run 7th Heaven as an admin or not, I get the picture below when I click Launch Game:

I've reinstalled, rebooted, tried moving the GC and 7th heaven in various places, uninstalled, ran a regcleaner, tried again, and no matter what I get that error. Based on the DL page this is usually caused by a problem in Workshop>General Settings, but I can't fathom what it might be. I've copy/pasted what I've got in there:

FF7 Exe: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\FF7.exe (I've tried with this and both of the other .exe files for the big mods)
Movies Path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies
Textures Path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\mods\Textures
Library Path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\mods\7th Heaven

Obviously, E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common is where the game is installed.

I do have 'music' and 'direct' in extra folders, and every time I try to launch the game another set of them appears.

I did notice that mods/Textures is empty, but not sure if that's relevant or not. The game launches and runs fine with a new install. Any help would be appreciated. This is all coming from a clean install of the game from Steam.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-26 06:40:20 by mWonko »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: crash on clicking 'launch game'
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-26 14:47:01 »
On your ff7 exe files, try setting "Run at 640x480"

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-26 18:59:05 »
On your ff7 exe files, try setting "Run at 640x480"

Well, that at least got me into the game (up to the new game/continue screen), though I'm getting some post-processing error at launch. I'm gonna re-DL and set up all the mods and try again after a meeting at 3, will post an update after that. Thanks for the suggestion!

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-26 20:29:10 »
Just turn off post-processing completely.  Some of them sometimes work reasonably well, but more often than not they cause more trouble than they're worth ;)

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-26 21:40:05 »
OK, it's working pretty well! Thanks for that.

One other thing driving me nuts... I'm using a wired 360 controller, and to say the game is not designed for that is an understatement. I'd like to use a mod that makes the game more friendly with the controller like what's described here (below the 'reunion' stuff): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659 but I don't want to jack up any of the mods currently running. Any specific steps to use or is there a preferred mod or something?

Also for the love of god I need to get the dpad enabled. Right now only the left analog stick works and navigating menus with that is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered...
« Last Edit: 2019-05-26 22:31:53 by mWonko »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-27 14:13:41 »

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-27 22:03:27 »
Oh my god thank you, antimicro is working fantastically. I can even still use the stick for travel and go to the d-pad so I don't keep pushing Aeris to the front row when I'm trying to cast a friggin' spell.

I think I'm just about all set! I'm trying to run down an audio crackling issue, but that's outside the scope of this forum since it happens even on youtube videos - I'm probably a couple days from just nuking and paving Windows, I haven't reinstalled my OS in years anyway. Just sucks having all the beautiful music marred by Windows getting inexplicable lag.

You are awesome LordUrQuan, please stay that way. All in all I probably spent a day or two fiddling with different things (especially gamepad mappers that weren't working) and presto chango 10 minutes following your advice and each problem I had was fixed!

Now *smooth* place all the time, and after now never going back to outside. Never!!

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-28 18:10:24 »
Now *smooth* place all the time, and after now never going back to outside. Never!!
Jumping *peppers*!! This is *smiley* time! It is funny enough. Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*!!!

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-05-28 20:43:24 »
One curiosity: every time I launch the game through 7th Heaven, direct and music gets added to Extra Folders. I've been going in to clean it up so there's only one of each, but I'm wondering if this might present a problem down the line or if there's something I can change to make that stop.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-05-28 21:54:31 »
One curiosity: every time I launch the game through 7th Heaven, direct and music gets added to Extra Folders. I've been going in to clean it up so there's only one of each, but I'm wondering if this might present a problem down the line or if there's something I can change to make that stop.
It's a known bug.  The only thing that happens (that we know of, so far) is that the more times those folders get added, the longer scene loads/transitions take, so it's best to clean out the duplicates to keep your load times down.

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-05-30 00:30:04 »
Another thing that's bugging me: In combat, the spell and summon menus have tons of blank spots between spells, like it's loading the whole list and just hiding the stuff you don't have equipped. Which means that if you have two materia equipped you may have to scroll down 15 times to access one of them. Any fix for that?

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-05-30 01:19:27 »
Another thing that's bugging me: In combat, the spell and summon menus have tons of blank spots between spells, like it's loading the whole list and just hiding the stuff you don't have equipped. Which means that if you have two materia equipped you may have to scroll down 15 times to access one of them. Any fix for that?

You're using Menu Overhaul, it's designed to be like that. You'll see soon enough once you start leveling materia.

mWonko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-05-30 03:24:43 »
lol yeah I just came back to correct that, thanks. I liked it going horizontal, but this is OK