Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remix - A compilation of FF7 Mods [1.0-2.5.1]  (Read 1241291 times)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Sounds like you guys have scene look up table problems... you can fix this using Hojo Enemy Editor, download it, open up \data\battle\scene.bin with it, then click file...update kernel file, then select \data\kernel\kernel.bin. That should fix the problem.

Chaos Breaker

• View Profile
I haven't touched anything with this game or modding it in a while so all my knowledge is lost and I'm in need of some help.  
My main problem is lag, and lots of it.  The new opening movies, as awesome as they are, give me trouble. The whole start up one is laggy as hell, and the first one when you start a new game doesn't play at all and is just a white screen with laggy audio.  And once the game starts there's so much lag it's painful.  I'm running an XP system that should handle all this with no problem save for maybe a codec issue for the movies.  Video card's a modest GeForce2 MX/MX 400, but it's held up fine when I've modded things in the past.

Other gripes I have are that the music mod doesn't seem to work and I'm stuck with the default audio, and all the backgrounds are pixelated and not nice looking.  Any help here would be most appreciated.

EDIT:  Ok...  And just by looking at it I broke it more.  I just get a black screen when I start it up, nothing happens, no sound, have to end program cause it freezes like this.  Good times.  HALP!
« Last Edit: 2010-02-28 21:52:44 by Chaos Breaker »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
I am going to say you need to update your graphics card. That thing is way old

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
An old GF2 Mx 400 might have been enough to run it's original release, but with this mod using much higher resolution textures, polygon counts and various other things it'll struggle like a mouse lifting an elephant.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
By the sounds of how you haven't modded for a while, I'm going to have to say, things have probably changed a lot since you last modded it. And in that time, people have come with a lot more resource heavy mods than you computer has power for. So all I can say is, try updating and upgrading. You could always try reinstalling first, and check your game every time you install a new mod. That way you could find out what's messing up, and just avoid it, and maybe even tell someone something may be wrong with their mod.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
I haven't touched anything with this game or modding it in a while so all my knowledge is lost and I'm in need of some help.  
My main problem is lag, and lots of it.  The new opening movies, as awesome as they are, give me trouble. The whole start up one is laggy as hell, and the first one when you start a new game doesn't play at all and is just a white screen with laggy audio.  And once the game starts there's so much lag it's painful.  I'm running an XP system that should handle all this with no problem save for maybe a codec issue for the movies.  Video card's a modest GeForce2 MX/MX 400, but it's held up fine when I've modded things in the past.

Other gripes I have are that the music mod doesn't seem to work and I'm stuck with the default audio, and all the backgrounds are pixelated and not nice looking.  Any help here would be most appreciated.

EDIT:  Ok...  And just by looking at it I broke it more.  I just get a black screen when I start it up, nothing happens, no sound, have to end program cause it freezes like this.  Good times.  HALP!

Yeah, the FMV's lagging is a red flag of your graphics card not being able to handle rendering the game using OpenGL. As for the music mod, that should work just fine if you run the game via the shortcuts made and not via the executable directly. Also, the game freezing upon startup can be caused by a lot of things, but 9 times out of 10, the cause will either be located in APP.log, in the FF7Music console which should be visible by alt+tabbing, and/or mentioned in the BUG_REPORT.txt file and in the first thread.

Chaos Breaker

• View Profile
Aye, I've messed with the config a bit and made it run in a smaller window so it'll cut down on the lag so I can at least have a look at the latest stuff.  After dicking around with that I realized that the music was working fine and I just jumped the gun there.  Though the APP.log thing is weird, cause the couple of times it worked full screen I'd get some error message about not finding a suitable one or something like that, but it would still work fine.  Now I'm not even getting that so I dunno. 

Sad that I'm not up to snuff to enjoy this, looks fun.  Curious though, are the new battle models their own mod somewhere, and if so, could anyone direct me to them?  They were quite swanky looking and I could at least use them on my other computer where I have some other things working.

Also, where did the new movies come from?  I haven't been looking into FF7 stuff in a while so those are quite new to me.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Aye, I've messed with the config a bit and made it run in a smaller window so it'll cut down on the lag so I can at least have a look at the latest stuff.  After dicking around with that I realized that the music was working fine and I just jumped the gun there.  Though the APP.log thing is weird, cause the couple of times it worked full screen I'd get some error message about not finding a suitable one or something like that, but it would still work fine.  Now I'm not even getting that so I dunno. 

Sad that I'm not up to snuff to enjoy this, looks fun.  Curious though, are the new battle models their own mod somewhere, and if so, could anyone direct me to them?  They were quite swanky looking and I could at least use them on my other computer where I have some other things working.

Also, where did the new movies come from?  I haven't been looking into FF7 stuff in a while so those are quite new to me.
Everything can be found by searching for them using the names i gave in the rundown on the first page. Oh, and tweaking FF7Config is what made it stop working, if you want to change the resolution or make the game run windowed, you're gonna have to use the OpenGL settings to do so (there should be a shortcut to "OpenGL Config File" in your start menu). Opening FF7Config will overwrite the OpenGL driver's registry entries, so you're gonna have to reinstall them by running the "FF7OpenGL.reg" file in your ff7 directory. If you want to fix the laggy FMV's, changing your resolution isn't going to work, you're going to want to replace \movies\opening.avi with the stock one off of your install CD. Oh yeah and regarding the pixely-ness you mentioned earlier: to fix that, turn on the "linear_filtering" option in the FF7 Config File. You have an old graphics card, yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't change settings to make the game run properly. Just set the game to run in 640x480 and replace the opening.avi file with the stock one, and you shouldn't run into any more problems.

Chaos Breaker

• View Profile
Yeah, I meant the OpenGL file not FF7Config, my bad.  Come to think of it though maybe that's what I did to break it before...  Oh well, something to keep in mind when I get to this again later  :)

Corruption

• View Profile
Downloaded this yesterday and tested it out [Meaning the upgrader]

It fixed a few issues that I was having like lines under names and stuff caused by the version before hand.

Thanks very much for the fix, even if it was unintended.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
There is a texture missing from leviathan summon.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
There is a texture missing from leviathan summon.

Hm, is that so..? Can you show me an APP.log from after you use leviathan, then quit the game? That should tell me the name of the missing texture...

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Code: [Select]
-=-=[START OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
ERROR: libpng error: Read Error
ERROR: COULD NOT LOAD TEXTURE DATA FILE clf_lg.TEX
ERROR: COULD NOT LOAD TEXTURE DATA FILE clf_lg.tim
stop_sound
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4
set music volume: 127
stop_sound
-=-=[END OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 170
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Limit/limit/jo_b03_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/eskill/jo_b04_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
ERROR: INVALID VERSION IN POLYGON FILE STAGE67.P11
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_08.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
GLITCH: missing external texture: summons/leviathan/water_1_00.png
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/summons/leviathan/wave_1_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/summons/leviathan/wave_2_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/summons/leviathan/wavehit_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/summons/leviathan/water_00.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_07.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_13.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_09.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_02.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
INFO: 24-bit PNG loaded (C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/textures/Spells/seffect/seffect1_14.png); this is slow, please convert to 32-bit
[BATTLE] End of current battle

Kranmer

• View Profile
Just tried this patch for the first time and i must say i am impressed, keep up the good work,
1 small susgestion though, the movies are still in TM2 codec and using PCM audio, if you converted them to divx or xvid video and mp3 audio or any other format that works with Aali's driver you could proberly knock around 300-400mb off your installer if you wanted to.
(this is because the PCM audio takes up huge amount of data, for example the ending2.avi has 22MB of audio in PCM format which could easily be converted to a MP3 that only takes up 3mb and simler things with the video).

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Just tried this patch for the first time and i must say i am impressed, keep up the good work,
1 small susgestion though, the movies are still in TM2 codec and using PCM audio, if you converted them to divx or xvid video and mp3 audio or any other format that works with Aali's driver you could proberly knock around 300-400mb off your installer if you wanted to.
(this is because the PCM audio takes up huge amount of data, for example the ending2.avi has 22MB of audio in PCM format which could easily be converted to a MP3 that only takes up 3mb and simler things with the video).
Thanks for the compliments! ;)
That's a good point, I'll see what I can do to reduce the filesize in the next version. Shouldn't be difficult to re-encode the videos so long as I can keep the framerates the same...

@eXistenZe Thanks for the app.log, it looks like it can't find \textures\Summons\leviathan\water_1_00.png. I think it's supposed to be the same as "water_00.png", so just make a copy of that and rename it properly to fix the issue. I'll be sure to fix this when I come out with v2.5.2.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Hum... Crash at the begining of fraps battle. Nothing at app.log.

Dragonshadow

• View Profile
Holy shit this is still alive

Hiiiiiii Tite

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Hey there, Dragonshadow!

25 pages strong and counting! And v2.5.2 is over the horizon.

Dragonshadow

• View Profile
I see I've become the main host for your stuff hahaha
Nice progress :o

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
Hey guys, back again

Win7 RC shouted at me so I had to get the full version. Having to reinstall all the files once again, but this time I'm having repeated issues with anything involving the FF7OpenGL.reg files, and being told "The system cannot find the path specified". Can anyone think of a simple remedy to this?

I'm sure there's a mountain of issues just waiting for me around the corner, but I I'd best deal with this one step at a time.

I also have the 2.4 remix, are there any notable changes from this? If so, are there any patches from 2.4 to 2.5.1? Or is it best just downloading the whole thing again?

Thanks in advance.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Hey guys, back again

Win7 RC shouted at me so I had to get the full version. Having to reinstall all the files once again, but this time I'm having repeated issues with anything involving the FF7OpenGL.reg files, and being told "The system cannot find the path specified". Can anyone think of a simple remedy to this?

I'm sure there's a mountain of issues just waiting for me around the corner, but I I'd best deal with this one step at a time.

I also have the 2.4 remix, are there any notable changes from this? If so, are there any patches from 2.4 to 2.5.1? Or is it best just downloading the whole thing again?

Thanks in advance.
Hey there, the only thing i can say about the registry files is to make sure that user account control is off, but when it comes to win7, i really don't know very much.

There are incremental upgraders from version to version, but to go from 2.4 to 2.5.1, it's really best to just download the main installer. There have been a ton of noticeable changes since 2.4 (refer back in the thread to see what they actually are) and I'd definitely recommend getting the latest one and keeping an eye out for later versions (Millenia seems to be working on new weapon models!).

Sed7

• No New Topic
    • View Profile
Managed to download the newer one, trying to install that now.

the UAC is turned off to the best of my abilities, it seems that occassionally when I run the postinstall.bats etc, the reg files disappear randomly. With any luck this new remix will remedy some of thsoe issues!

EDIT:

Ok, I can run the game pretty well now, can't say for sure what I did, only that 88x600 works fine, and that's more than good enough!

Some quick Q's though, seem's the menu avatars have gone back to the original concept drawings as opposed to the AC models, is that normal? Also some of the field models seem to occassionally have transparent faces, but this appears to be random. Sometimes look fine, sometimes transparent (can still see eyes/lips etc, but they seem to be underneith a layer of the skin tone, if that makes sense?), again, is this expected?

Thanks in advance :D
« Last Edit: 2010-03-05 15:44:42 by Sed7 »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Managed to download the newer one, trying to install that now.

the UAC is turned off to the best of my abilities, it seems that occassionally when I run the postinstall.bats etc, the reg files disappear randomly. With any luck this new remix will remedy some of thsoe issues!

EDIT:

Ok, I can run the game pretty well now, can't say for sure what I did, only that 88x600 works fine, and that's more than good enough!

Some quick Q's though, seem's the menu avatars have gone back to the original concept drawings as opposed to the AC models, is that normal? Also some of the field models seem to occassionally have transparent faces, but this appears to be random. Sometimes look fine, sometimes transparent (can still see eyes/lips etc, but they seem to be underneith a layer of the skin tone, if that makes sense?), again, is this expected?

Thanks in advance :D

The advent avatars were never included...the patch gives you the redone original style avatars from the Team Avalanche Overhaul.
As for the transparent faces, I've been working on that...I've fixed the main characters, and I'll get around to fixing the NPC's when I have the time...

vareal

• View Profile
I see there's a patch folder in the directory, and it says there's applied patches and one of them is the 9999 limit break; but I just really can't get it to work, by installing it the two different ways or what. Hmmm... maybe I'm just not meant to have it. Other than that, awesome mod! Thanks to everyone who makes this awesome stuff awesome and possible!

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Well if you try to install it on an ff7.exe that's already been patched with it, you'll end up with a 0kb file (h_ff7.exe already has the 9999 limit break patch installed). You can tell whether or not you have it already by looking at whether your limit and time gauges are different gauges or one compact gauge. With the latest version of the patch, there *should* be two batch files... "installYAMPnormalmode.bat" and "installYAMPhardcoremode.bat". You want to put both of the 9999limitbreak patch files into the "patch" folder, then run "installYAMPnormalmode.bat" to get the normal game to have the 9999limitbreak patch.