Author Topic: [FF7PC/PSX] FFVII Lost Wing (1.1)  (Read 185604 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: [REL/FF7] FFVII Lost Wing (PSX/PC)
« Reply #75 on: 2011-10-29 02:46:19 »
Cool.  Keep in mind, the modified files will only get you so far.  If you want to use Young Cloud and Sephiroth, you're going to have to use codes.  However, all the required info is in this thread.  Let me know if you have any questions.

2ply

« Reply #76 on: 2011-12-15 23:09:16 »
 This mod sounds pretty good, really interested in it, but i'm having a problem. Wondering if I did something wrong when applying it to the .bin's or something.

I'm running it on a PSP if that matters too. It shouldn't though since it runs same as a PSX game would, just had to convert the .bin over to an EBOOT file.

But for some reason whenever I goto open any menu tabs other than equipment it causes the system to lock up completely until it crashes (with a strange pop sound too, that worries me).  :?

Edit: It does the same thing for both new games and previous save files too.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-15 23:37:54 by 2ply »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-12-15 23:12:58 »
Err...

The PSP has the bad habit of not emulating correctly PSX games... It did the exact same thing to me, but with Rebirth. I talked with Bosola, and he doesn't seem to know anything...

2ply

« Reply #78 on: 2011-12-16 00:00:21 »
Err...

The PSP has the bad habit of not emulating correctly PSX games... It did the exact same thing to me, but with Rebirth. I talked with Bosola, and he doesn't seem to know anything...

Seems a bit strange everything works up until opening something in the menu while playing though, maybe the PSP just reads the coding or whatever differently, idk. Probably not anything that can be done without modding the PSP itself lol.

Thanks for the reply :-) Guess i'll just stick to the vanilla game.

EDIT: out of curiousity, have you gotten any FF7 PSX mods to work with the PSP?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-12-16 00:02:56 »
Well, I had gotten Lost Wings and AV Mod Beta to work a bit, but since my PSP got stolen short after, there's nothing I can really say...

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-12-16 00:29:53 »
I haven't tried any VII PSX mods on PSP.

My mods are only tested on ePSXe playstation emulator.  I have no evidence that they will work with any other emulator, the Playstation machine, PSP, or anything else.

Keep in mind, this mod involves hundreds if not thousands of changes to the original game.  I'm surprised that ePSXe runs it half the time, and even it doesn't like many changes that I tried to make.

Perhaps a less modified mod would work?  I would try making half a dozen small changes to the kernel.bin in Wallmarket to the Clean Unmodified kernel.bin and plug it back into an iso, and convert that to an EBOOT and see if it works then.  If the PSP can handle a few changes, there is the potential for a PSP compatible FFVII PSX mod.  I would imagine a kernel.bin that only had some alterations to weapon stats, magic strength, and character stats would work fine.  It is probably unlikely that mods involving new/reconfigured spell animations, restructred materia, and anything heavier would work on a PSP.

If you know how to test this, go ahead and do so then let us know.  If not, I'll bet vgr could do this in like 5 minutes if he was willing.

=========================================

EDIT:  Didn't know your PSP was stolen >_<

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-12-16 00:34:33 »
Yeah, although the PSP does support some mods, sometimes it doesn't like them...

Yeah, it's been a while since it got stolen, and I've lost hope on getting it back. I have a PS3, but I can't play Crisis Core/Dissidia Duodecim on it... Those were great games... I have FF7/FF8/FF9 though, but I can't play modded (well, if anyone knows how on an OFW, tell me).

2ply

« Reply #82 on: 2011-12-16 00:35:44 »
I haven't tried any VII PSX mods on PSP.

My mods are only tested on ePSXe playstation emulator.  I have no evidence that they will work with any other emulator, the Playstation machine, PSP, or anything else.

Keep in mind, this mod involves hundreds if not thousands of changes to the original game.  I'm surprised that ePSXe runs it half the time, and even it doesn't like many changes that I tried to make.

Perhaps a less modified mod would work?  I would try making half a dozen small changes to the kernel.bin in Wallmarket to the Clean Unmodified kernel.bin and plug it back into an iso, and convert that to an EBOOT and see if it works then.  If the PSP can handle a few changes, there is the potential for a PSP compatible FFVII PSX mod.  I would imagine a kernel.bin that only had some alterations to weapon stats, magic strength, and character stats would work fine.  It is probably unlikely that mods involving new/reconfigured spell animations, restructred materia, and anything heavier would work on a PSP.

If you know how to test this, go ahead and do so then let us know.  If not, I'll bet vgr could do this in like 5 minutes if he was willing.

=========================================

EDIT:  Didn't know your PSP was stolen >_<

Hmm, I may look into going about trying some of that. I'm the embodiment of a newb with this sort of stuff atm though lol, but lots of time on my hands right now so I might be able to get a grasp of it.

Would you be ok with me using this mod as sort of a base file or something to mess around with?

Edit: and yes that sucks about your PSP Vgr.

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-12-16 01:04:18 »
Cool.  Keep in mind, the modified files will only get you so far.  If you want to use Young Cloud and Sephiroth, you're going to have to use codes.  However, all the required info is in this thread.  Let me know if you have any questions.

If we're playing it on the PC version, do you know of a way to play as sephiroth or young cloud?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-12-16 01:05:12 »
Kranmer's trainer.

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-12-16 02:50:52 »
Kranmer's trainer.

Thanks man, ill check it out

2ply

« Reply #86 on: 2011-12-16 15:50:04 »
Hmm, I may look into going about trying some of that. I'm the embodiment of a newb with this sort of stuff atm though lol, but lots of time on my hands right now so I might be able to get a grasp of it.
Well, just incase anyone else comes around wondering about the same thing as me..

After messing around with things lastnight and having a lot of issues (with both PC and PSP lol), i've come the conclusion that the best and easiest thing to do would probably be just figuring out how to use CWcheats on the PSP to create custom cheats from scratch.

There are already some user made cheats that enable a lot of what you'd probably want to do anyways (break 9999, sephiroth, young cloud, new materia, etc) plus it seems like there is not much of a limit to what you can do with FF7 on the PSP if done this way.

You may not be able to alter gameplay elements like in this mod, but it doesn't seem like you can either way (with the PSP) without it crashing.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-16 15:51:47 by 2ply »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-12-16 18:16:14 »
WHat did you try?  Using cheats sounds like a good alternative.  I started out applying massive numbers of gs codes to the psx version, until I discovered that I could mod it.  If the mods aren't working then I guess using cheats is the natural alternative.  I suspect that there is a way to make some rudimentary mods for psx version run on PSP, it's just that no one has tried to design a mod with this in mind.  I'm interested in the idea.

2ply

« Reply #88 on: 2011-12-17 03:52:56 »
WHat did you try?  Using cheats sounds like a good alternative.  I started out applying massive numbers of gs codes to the psx version, until I discovered that I could mod it.  If the mods aren't working then I guess using cheats is the natural alternative.  I suspect that there is a way to make some rudimentary mods for psx version run on PSP, it's just that no one has tried to design a mod with this in mind.  I'm interested in the idea.

I didn't get to try much of anything of my own actually lol, suspect Win7 is the problem though.

Spent awhile finding and fooling around with the stuff but then hit a road block with the programs after the fact.. wasn't able to create a new kernel.bin with wallmarket (access denied even though it isn't, set as admin, UAC off 100%, etc) or even so much as open armips (generic error message).

Probably for the best though lol, would not be happy after putting tons of work into something and only to have it to crash on the PSP (it's intended use). Just way too much trial and error involved for someone new like myself.

I'm finding some pretty interesting things being done with gameshark codes in other games however, and it seems as if the same level of attention hasn't been given to FF7.

Specifically some custom jobs/characters using a mix of enemy sprites/other info and playable character info, like this for FF:Tactics for example:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/13666

Since you're a lot more experienced with both GScodes and moding in general, i'm curious what your take is on attempting something similar with FF7. Would it even be possible?

(PS. sorry for sort of highjacking your thread, wasn't intended. You just seem to be the only active person I can find that is involved in this sort of thing atm)
« Last Edit: 2011-12-17 03:56:50 by 2ply »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-12-17 05:20:21 »
Well I don't know right now, because the limits of what the PSP will allow are unclear.  Maybe tomorrow I will make a small kernel patch that you can test to see if the PSP will play it.  If it does, then there is the possibility of creating mods for PSP users.

As far as using codes goes...there is probably some algorithm or formula you can apply to Gameshark PSX codes to change them into (whatever cheat system the PSP uses).  If this is the case, then you would have thousands of codes at your disposal, which essentially equates to a modded game. 

2ply

« Reply #90 on: 2011-12-17 16:18:17 »
Well I don't know right now, because the limits of what the PSP will allow are unclear.  Maybe tomorrow I will make a small kernel patch that you can test to see if the PSP will play it.  If it does, then there is the possibility of creating mods for PSP users.

As far as using codes goes...there is probably some algorithm or formula you can apply to Gameshark PSX codes to change them into (whatever cheat system the PSP uses).  If this is the case, then you would have thousands of codes at your disposal, which essentially equates to a modded game.

If you want to try a smaller PSP mod i'll test it for you if you need someone to.

I still have a bit of researching to do to understand making my own gameshark codes, I have read some sort of mathmatics to it all (not that I was looking for it at that momment lol), but the codes all work exactly the same on the PSP as they do on the PSX apparently :-D

As to what the PSP uses for cheats (if it helps), there's a plugin called 'CWCheat' that comes with a lot of preloaded one's, but to add new codes you just open a program called 'CWCheat Database Editor', add them manually, and it saves it to a text file that the plugin reads.

My best guess atm is that in order to fully mod the game to run crash free on PSP, a lot of it will probably need to be cheat codes with minor changes to the actual CD.

It just seems to like reading codes better than trying to read the eboot made from an altered cd image.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-12-17 16:34:08 »
Well good luck with that.  In case you are in need of some codes, here are the two sites I use for codes.

http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/antigsc/?codes&dev=gs&system=psx&game=ff7/ff7inbat

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=1&gid=1

The codes found here will enable you to basically modify 95% of anything you would want to change.

2ply

« Reply #92 on: 2011-12-19 17:29:22 »
 Thanks for the links LostWings  ;D They should help tremendously.

renegadeofunk

« Reply #93 on: 2011-12-21 03:30:33 »
Hi LostWing, I just found these boards and did the whole BootLeg install.  After researching the various difficulty mods, I decided I like yours the best.  I know I won't enjoy the super hardcore one and the others don't seem to change much besides flat difficulty percentages (items or enemies).  I played just up to the end of the first reactor raid and I'm loving how new the game feels! 

Some things seemed weird to me at first, like how every time I opened the menu it seemed Cloud had 100-200 more hit points, lol.  Won't I hit the 9999 barrier pretty fast since I have like 1200 now at level 9?  Or is there a 9999 breaker patch included in Bootleg?  I also noticed that the trooper enemies were totally resistant to my physical attacks, but I'm assuming that's an intended change to make things interesting.  And one other tiny thing, potions say they heal 300, and they do but only in battle (not on the menu).

But beside that, I'm excited to play more of it.  One of your posts seemed to indicate that the mod might not be "done" all the way (i.e. untested for bugs and such towards the end of the game).  Should I just keep on trucking and not worry about that?

Thanks again for a great mod!

Edit:  Another thing I just realized - enemies still hit me for like 25-40 a pop, which means I'm basically invincible to them with my 1200+ HP.  Is that just easiness for the beginning of the game and they'll scale up?
« Last Edit: 2011-12-21 06:37:26 by renegadeofunk »

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-12-21 09:56:19 »
Hi LostWing, I just found these boards and did the whole BootLeg install.  After researching the various difficulty mods, I decided I like yours the best.  I know I won't enjoy the super hardcore one and the others don't seem to change much besides flat difficulty percentages (items or enemies).  I played just up to the end of the first reactor raid and I'm loving how new the game feels! 

Some things seemed weird to me at first, like how every time I opened the menu it seemed Cloud had 100-200 more hit points, lol.  Won't I hit the 9999 barrier pretty fast since I have like 1200 now at level 9?  Or is there a 9999 breaker patch included in Bootleg?  I also noticed that the trooper enemies were totally resistant to my physical attacks, but I'm assuming that's an intended change to make things interesting.  And one other tiny thing, potions say they heal 300, and they do but only in battle (not on the menu).

But beside that, I'm excited to play more of it.  One of your posts seemed to indicate that the mod might not be "done" all the way (i.e. untested for bugs and such towards the end of the game).  Should I just keep on trucking and not worry about that?

Thanks again for a great mod!

Edit:  Another thing I just realized - enemies still hit me for like 25-40 a pop, which means I'm basically invincible to them with my 1200+ HP.  Is that just easiness for the beginning of the game and they'll scale up?

Im up to about the 65th floor in shinra, and let me tell you, the difficulty definitely scales up a bit. lol. As for cloud having more hitpoints, I think you might be noticing the effect of the accessory "cats bell" maybe? Im freaking loving this version as well dude. 

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2011-12-21 12:42:00 »
Ok, we're talking about Bootleg here? Let me clear up your questions.

1. Don't use the 9999LimitBreak patch with Lost Wings, or else it'll get very unbalanced.
2. If you are wondering why some things are like this, play the PSX version, because that's the original. I ported it to PC, but I did a job as good as Eidos when they ported the game for PC. In other words, it has some bugs the PSX version doesn't have.
3. About the potions working only in fights, that's because, to change it in the menu, you need to modify the exe, which Lost Wings did not do.
4. About the enemies hitting less than you can handle by a lot, I never noticed that, or it never happened to me. Try on the PSX version.

renegadeofunk

« Reply #96 on: 2011-12-21 18:13:34 »
Thanks for the info, guys!  I think I'll keep playing on the PC version just because I want to check out all the other cool mods you guys have made.  I think the small damage thing probably only happens in the beginning.  I noticed a similar thing where Barrett had like 300ish health when he first joins me, but then seems to go up to 700+ really fast, so maybe its just something to do with initial scaling?  If you guys are still interested in working on the mod, I'll report back with anything else I find.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2011-12-22 06:28:10 »
Hey thanks for your interest in the mod, and I am glad you are enjoying it.

Basically I made it so that instead of waiting until ~Cosmo Canyon to make enemies a threat, I started things off fairly easy and getting your party into a stable place, and then boosted the enemies starting near the Train Graveyard.  As you make your way through Mid gar, the difficulty/balance will level off a bit.  After you leave Midgar, you and your enemies will develop at a gradual pace - allowing you to deal massive damage when you're strategy is optimal, and allowing enemies to pose a real threat if it is not.  Some of the bosses can be a threat, and some rare random encounters too; but if you maintain your equipment and materia allocation regularly and remember not to neglect different characters' strengths, you will always have the advantage.  For some extra challenge, keep your level low, and diversify your party.  I've allowed for the exploitation of particular stats.  If you want to make Cloud super strong and cast lucky strike on him, go ahead, if you want to make Aeris have super high mag, and use the most powerful spells, that is fine.  If you want things to be interesting, then you will play around with the characters, new spells, and new equipment until you find a combination that makes you feel good when you play.  That is why FFVII Lost Wing was made; to allow the player to utilize his/her characters the way he/she wants to.  If you grind and strive for optimization, this won't be very difficult, but if you go with the flow, and play for your own tastes, this will be a fun and moderately challenging mod.

taterz

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-12-27 05:49:07 »
does this mod break the game from the end of the first disc onward? because that was when i noticed bosses had extremely insane HP levels and double attacks. from that jenova fight, she had a double turn every round (which was faster than my dudes hasted), and the only way to kill her was to spam drain about 20 times (which deals 9999 damage). drain has been the only way to fight anything, because the bosses kill me in a single hit and always attack multiple times.

i'm currently stuck on the turks trio in midgar. out of curiosity, i turned on the break damage limit. according to the site, it lets you hit for the 65,535 damage on each attack. drain was hitting as "miss" and gaining me "recovery" HP. i had to use it at least 10 times just to kill the bastards. is there something i'm missing or is it just incomplete? i was liking the new spell variety until these three showed up and just instantly took out all 3 of me in a single, triple hit combo of 9999 unavoidable damage.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2011-12-27 11:50:39 »
This mod should not be used with the Break Damage Limit Patch.