Author Topic: How do I edit damage formulas? [FFVIII]  (Read 41065 times)

evilmog6

• View Profile
Re: How do I edit damage formulas? [FFVIII]
« Reply #75 on: 2016-06-25 17:21:01 »
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but this thread did lead me to the pre-beta "Doomtrain" tool and there are discussions about editing weapons in here... so, my question should be simple: why does editing Squall's hit rating appear to do nothing? Even if I lower his currently modded weapon's hit rating to 0, it shows up as 0 in the junction menu, and junk shop menu, but in battle he still has a 100% success rate hitting things regardless of the enemy's evade. Other character's weapons seem to actually be impacted by changing the value, but not Squall. Why is this and how can I solve it? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere and my search fu was weak.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2016-06-25 17:33:27 »
Is it possible to disable the test seed ?
by test seed you mean the option to take quiz for raising SeeD rank?
Try in script: 103 SARALYON:
SARALYON
EDIT: I meant SALARYOFF to actually disable the payment and maybe also disable quiz.

How can I edit prices in shops ?
Open price.bin and the strucure is:
#Price_Entry:
Code: [Select]
ushort Price
ushort Unknown?
The only variables unknown takes are:
0x0a00 (10)
0x0100 (1)
0x0500 (5)

I don't know yet what does it mean.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-25 17:42:25 by Maki »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2016-06-25 17:40:58 »
Thanks Maki, I'll search and tell you if I find something.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but this thread did lead me to the pre-beta "Doomtrain" tool and there are discussions about editing weapons in here... so, my question should be simple: why does editing Squall's hit rating appear to do nothing? Even if I lower his currently modded weapon's hit rating to 0, it shows up as 0 in the junction menu, and junk shop menu, but in battle he still has a 100% success rate hitting things regardless of the enemy's evade. Other character's weapons seem to actually be impacted by changing the value, but not Squall. Why is this and how can I solve it? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere and my search fu was weak.

I think this is because of the gunblade. This is the player who determines the accurracy of the attack by using the trigger button.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2016-06-25 17:43:31 »
I think due to the attack type for Squall's weapon being different from other weapons (10 instead of 1, I think), the damage formula for that attack type might ignore hit (I can't actually check right now). Changing the attack type to the same as the other weapons might fix that.
I think the gunblade trigger only determines if it crits or not.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-25 17:45:56 by JWP »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2016-06-25 17:47:37 »
Ah, mexico, I made a mistake. Not SARALYON, but SARALYOFF. :D
There's also: 104 SARALYDISPOFF
The SARALYON is fired after passing SeeD test, so maybe...

evilmog6 - I checked the code, the binary operations on file are fine, so the software is not a problem.

evilmog6

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2016-06-25 18:22:52 »
@Maki I wasn't suggesting there was a problem with Doomtrain if that's what you mean :) Maybe an addition that can toggle Squall's weapon to not behave this way would be a cool feature addition to the tool, but I didn't mean to make it sound like anything was wrong with it in this regard, its FF8 itself that is coded this way it seems.

@JWP and on that note, I tried what you said to change the attack type byte from 0A to 01. I am not really good with the hex stuff so I am mostly eagerly using the tools you guys magically make, but I can sometimes sort out some of your posts and I am pretty sure I found the right byte according to the post on the weapon section, and that value made sense since it was "10"... it didn't seem to change the behavior in the game though, even 0% hit in the menu with 01 in that byte and squall can't miss. Not sure if I messed up my edit, or if that just isn't enough to fix it. I edited the 6th byte in from the offset, the byte just before the byte that seems to definitely change attack power so I think its the right one...

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2016-06-25 23:10:12 »
Ah, mexico, I made a mistake. Not SARALYON, but SARALYOFF. :D
There's also: 104 SARALYDISPOFF
The SARALYON is fired after passing SeeD test, so maybe...

OK... so I opened the script with Deling but I understand nothing... Where am I supposed to find the line 103 SALARYON ? Sorry, I realise now how it will be hard for me to do this mod. ^^'

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2016-06-27 01:26:46 »
Thanks to myst6re, I found it. Finally, that was easy. ^^

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2016-08-06 07:19:46 »

*       Section 5 - Weapon Data        *

Structure:
struct Weapon {
WORD name_offset;
BYTE renzokuken_finishers; //0x01 = Rough Divide, 0x02 = Fated Circle, 0x04 = Blasting Zone, 0x08 = Lion Heart
BYTE unk;
BYTE character_id;
BYTE attack_type;
BYTE attack_power;
BYTE hit_bonus;
BYTE str_bonus;
BYTE weapon_tier;
BYTE unk[2];
}

i tried changing the renzokuken finisher to 0x08 for the Lionheart Gunblade weapon data and it just make all limitbreak finisher to be just Lionheart only for an encounter battles with one enemy, but if more than one enemy in a battles, the game crash if i select renzokuken rather than normal attack. Sorry for my bad english.