Author Topic: Q-Gears Topic/Reply Restrictions  (Read 3714 times)

stevenw9

• View Profile
Q-Gears Topic/Reply Restrictions
« on: 2006-10-08 14:57:15 »
Since this section is as closely related to the topic, I am posting it here. I noticed that in the read me thing it says do not complain about errors unless you are a developer or willing to put in time for the Q-Gears project. Well, I believe that errors are a VERY important step to developing an engine. If the creator does not find the error, yet someone else does it really -needs- to be reported. However, I also believe it should only be reported ONCE. Perhaps we can get a Q-Gears Bugs topic? I think that would relieve some of the much built up stress going around the forums and also encourage others to pinpoint the issue and possibly correct it. =/

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Q-Gears Topic/Reply Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-10 05:11:20 »
The issue is that the engine, as it stands right now, is pre-alpha. We are not at a stage to produce code for the world to test. Most of what you see is an experiment. Heck, we haven't even decided on a proper directory structure, and will most likely change in the future. At a moment's notice, an SVN update can take out whole sections of code as a failed experiment.

It's a framework, a wire outline of a program that will be something, sometime. We have no timeframe, nor know if somethig will even come of this. If Akari quit tomarrow, I'm out a coder and you do *NOT* want to see what kind of C++ I write. I think my coding ability is illegal in 9 states.

Feel free to experiment. If you want to hack, I suggest Tech-related. That's where we tear things apart and step all over them. I'm the project leader, but I'm more at home in disassembly/documentation.

This whole project was started as an experiment. My plan was to set up a sourceforge page, write some code for giggles for the summer, and see if anything happens. I am a month shy of getting my bacholars in business, and have been using this forum as a place to experiment with online HR management. After the summer was over, I discovered that this thing sort of exploded on me. Now I'm Benevolent Dictator of the Q-gears project, and trying, in my spare time mind you, to be one. One of the hats I wear is to keep this and the tech-related forums from turning into a cesspool. This is where these Topic/Reply Restrictions come in. We have places here where you can run around and yell, but there are places where it's inappropriate. Here is such a place.

I hope this answers some of your questions....
« Last Edit: 2006-10-10 05:16:46 by halkun »

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-10-11 00:56:57 »
I ment for something as small as your tests not opening up in certain OS's/Configurations and that stuff. Every bit of information can be important to the final product in the long (depending on your sense of long) run. I find it better to learn about an issue earlier rather then later. Am I wrong on any of this?  :?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-10-11 05:13:34 »
I ment for something as small as your tests not opening up in certain OS's/Configurations and that stuff. Every bit of information can be important to the final product in the long (depending on your sense of long) run. I find it better to learn about an issue earlier rather then later. Am I wrong on any of this?  :?
hmmm I'm not sure about other people but ummm I think it's kind of covered.  Things are in the naceant period of 'Ok what do we want and OH DANG it WORKS!' If that makes sense.  In other words there currently is no controlled testing.  It's run and see what happens, erstwhile I've got work to do in playing catchup with Akari!

Cyb

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-10-12 06:14:02 »
So if I understand this, it's like. Okay lets do this, OH CRAP THAT WORKED WHOOHOO! kinda thing. lol, if that's the case then I now understand. ^_^