Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704377 times)

Xelane

• View Profile
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #575 on: 2009-07-29 18:59:40 »
that is why they use letters and numbers.

i dont know what 247 translates into when you turn it into hex value but i do know it is pretty high up (like f1, f2 ,f3,etc) so try those and then gauge how close you are from that.

like if you get the animation for final heaven, then you know youre in the limit break area, you would go up as tifa is one of the earlier limit breaks you get.

i actually did get the animation for fury brand once by accident, was experimenting with animations for time/space spells and got it by accident.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 2009-07-29 18:59:55 »
Er, in Wallmarket you enter the animation ID in hexadecimal  :roll:

So 247 would be f7

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 2009-07-29 19:06:00 »
See what I mean? I'm a moron!

I did not know this. I don't know much about anything when it comes to hex.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 2009-07-29 19:14:59 »
Neither did i until a month ago.

live and learn =) have fun with your new....spell?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 2009-07-29 19:15:29 »
See what I mean? I'm a moron!

I shan't say anything  :-D

I did not know this. I don't know much about anything when it comes to hex.

Well there's a converter here. If you're going to do a lot of messing around with WallMarket, bookmark it  :wink:

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #580 on: 2009-07-29 19:39:49 »
I'm going to suppress the urge to post what I was just about to post because the helpfile is actually technically incorrect in a number of places early on.

For future reference, any text box that is the same color as your balloon help are using hexadecimal values.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 2009-08-03 12:36:32 »
im getting this error

it only just started to happen so im not sure whats going on any help much appreciated

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 2009-08-03 15:31:23 »
do you have zlib1.dll? It could be some kind of system update that screwed up the resources, maybe?
« Last Edit: 2009-08-03 15:47:28 by titeguy3 »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 2009-08-03 15:58:23 »
You are getting that error because you don't have the needed
.NET runtime installed, or if you really have it, the program is
corrupted and you may even have a virus...

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #584 on: 2009-08-03 18:16:46 »
In short, reinstall .NET runtime, run a virus scan and redownload wallmarket, should fix the problem.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #585 on: 2009-08-03 21:14:43 »
I plan on releasing a new version with these fixes before Monday of next week. Does anyone have anything more to add that they'd like to see?

Let's pretend I didn't say that, shall we? Copy-pasting didn't work at all although I'm not sure why because they run almost identically. Oh well, I think it'll work out now. I fixed the things I said weren't working (I hope anyway. I hate writing code for the AI editing) and added two new features:
1. Now if it finds kernel2.bin in the same directory that you opened KERNEL.BIN from it'll start up in PC editing mode. I've been meaning to do this for a while because I've been annoyed at changing text only to realize that I'm in PSX mode. Ugh. I thought of a "Keep text changes on mode switch" option, but that didn't seem to be as useful since I still had to switch AND remember to turn it on when I wanted to switch.
2. I'm currently testing an option that will allow people to legally share their KERNEL.BIN & scene.bin mods without having to share the entire KERNEL.BIN and scene.bin files. I never liked seeing people do that. I've got to account for shortened/expanded text segments and I can copy it to PrC and release them together.
3. Altnough not really a feature, I'm going to make a helpfile for PrC before it's released. It will mostly be similar to WM's (which will be updated too to solve some errata), but it is different enough to need its own now.

Work picked up a few days ago and I didn't get to work on this to get it out when I said I was going to. Regardless, they both still work (sorta) so no rush, right? :) (heh, I used the word "work" three different times in three different ways in those two sentences! :D Cool, huh? 8) )

EDIT: I was playing with 0002h again earlier today and I think I've come to a conclusion for what it does. It is "use multi-target animation on multiple targets". Only the game ignores this and lets the animation handle it. Seriously, changing this property does NOTHING to anything. Disassembling the executable has led me to conclude that it never gets checked. In fact, the Blade Beam property doesn't either. I took it off the Blade Beam attack and gave a few other attacks that property and none of the attacks did anything different. So I'm forced to conclude that "0002h" will be re-labeled "Dummy1" and "Blade Beam?" will be re-labeled as "Dummy2". The unused will stay the same because they are just that. However, since there is data in these dummy fields I can't label them as unused, can I? :)

The oddest thing is, Pandora's Box made the invisible Grangalan Jr/Jrs visible after the attack was over. I initially thought this happened when I turned the 0002h off, but even when it was on it was doing this too. Weird. Probably some gimped up property existing in the animation of the attack. It actually freezes enemy animation while it performs, that might be a symptom of the same effect. I dunno. Regardless, I'm closing the case on the 0002h and will only reopen it if someone can show me proof that it actually does something.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-07 21:59:52 by NFITC1 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: 2009-08-09 03:49:57 »
any news on the progress :) ?

Did you manage to solve the text entry problem?  And do we know how to stop the character limit of kernel2.bin?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 2009-08-16 15:06:26 »
About weapon model IDs...

During the course of my daily wheelings and dealings, I've found that only the last byte of this tab seems to do anything. When trying to change the model ID of Cloud's weapons to make him use the Masamune, I found that he always used the Buster Sword, because the game only takes into account the last byte (00 for both Buster Sword and Masamune). The help file does say something about the indexes being character specific, but I think that unless it turns out that I'm wrong about this, it should be noted more clearly that the game seems to ignore changes to the first byte. I apologise if this has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread (I apologise even more if this has already been mentioned by me somewhere in this thread).

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #588 on: 2009-08-16 15:59:57 »
Yeah, the "Model ID" is mislabeled. It's actually two values mixed together because it was initially like that when I created the interface and I never went back and changed it. Yes, only the last byte does anything to the weapon. The middle byte does nothing, but the first byte changes the hit/miss/critical sound effects. I don't know what the significance of this is and I'm trying to figure out how to change it to make the interface not seem too cluttered. I've known this for a long time but I haven't given it much thought.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 2009-08-16 16:18:11 »
But there are already bytes that determine the sound effects :?

I'll have to try listening the next time I try this out (didn't have the headphones on last time), but I'm curious as to why there would be something else determining the sound effects. And why all of the characters would have the same bytes for each of their weapons. And why some characters would share the same values (what do Cait Sith's megaphones have in common with the Masamune?)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #590 on: 2009-08-17 00:22:11 »
Don't ask me, I'm just writing the tool.  :|

I just remember changing it at one point to see what it did and it changed all three sound effects drastically.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 2009-08-17 00:24:37 »
I wasn't asking you specifically :-D

I was just confused by the situation and asking aloud :roll:

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: 2009-08-17 04:03:50 »
I wasn't asking you specifically :-D

I was just confused by the situation and asking aloud :roll:

What do you mean by sound effects? Where do you tried to change it? In weapon data there are 3 bytes that change appropriate sounds. They started during damage taking effect... i don't understand what you don't understand =)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #593 on: 2009-08-17 05:32:17 »
He's talking about the "Model ID" label in WM. It currently contains three bytes because when I originally created the interface that's what the wiki said was the size of Model ID.
When I change the left-most byte in this three-byte value, that changes the hit/miss/critical sounds.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: 2009-08-17 07:22:29 »
He's talking about the "Model ID" label in WM. It currently contains three bytes because when I originally created the interface that's what the wiki said was the size of Model ID.
When I change the left-most byte in this three-byte value, that changes the hit/miss/critical sounds.

Damn. Someone flip the fields. Now it's clear. This byte used to access to high sounds id.
if bit 0x01 is on then normal sound id = normal sound id + 0x100
if bit 0x02 is on then critical sound id = critical sound id + 0x100
if bit 0x01 is on or bit 0x02 is on then miss sound id = miss sound id + 0x100
« Last Edit: 2009-08-17 07:26:37 by Akari »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #595 on: 2009-08-17 12:42:25 »
Damn. Someone flip the fields. Now it's clear. This byte used to access to high sounds id.

This should all be fixed in the next WM. It also seems like that third bit is important somehow, but it's always off. Used values in this byte seem to be 0, 1, and 3, but the bit 0x03 is always off.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: 2009-08-17 13:05:09 »

This should all be fixed in the next WM. It also seems like that third bit is important somehow, but it's always off. Used values in this byte seem to be 0, 1, and 3, but the bit 0x03 is always off.

0xF8 - 000 - none
0xF9 - 001 - normal, miss
0xFB - 011 - normal, critical, miss

There is no check for 0x04 bit so it doesn't matter. At least in battle. Maybe it checked somewhere else.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-17 14:49:48 by Akari »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #597 on: 2009-09-04 15:40:48 »
I just compiled what I believe will be the final version of WallMarket. WM1.3 has the ability to save individual changes made to the KERNEL.BIN/kernel2.bin files into a smaller file that will be completely legal to distribute. WM1.3 will also, of course, be able to load this changes file and make those same changes back. I have successfully run a test or two on a few things, but I don't believe that I can catch everything. I need some testers again.
Nearly everything is the same as it was before with the small exception of the Weapons tab now properly separating out the sound shift from the weapon model ID and fixing the level 3 Materia AP issue.
A few other things have been fixed. The AI editing is now more like Proud Clod's. Allowing you to enter strings directly and updating jumps dynamically (although this would also need to be double-checked).

So send me a PM or an email and I'll get this latest version to you to test with instructions on WHAT to test. :)

PS - The sooner I get this tested and fixed the sooner I can release both WM1.3 and PrC1.3. I know everyone wants that dynamic jump updating. ;)

PPS - I'm going to be out of town this weekend so get your requests in soon!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 2009-09-04 18:01:21 »
There's something I've realised about text-strings in AI that I thought I should bring up.

It seems to use variables for character names. You can see this in the Guard Scorpion script; before certain lines where a character's name is displayed, there are sequences like EA 00 00 00, where the third byte is a the ID of the character whose name is supposed to appear (i.e. 00 for  Cloud, 01 for Barret etc.). Is there any way to put these variables into scripts with Proud Clod and Wall Market? At the moment, I only know how to put in names letter by letter, but what if the player changes a character name?

I realise this might seem strange after I was bitching and whining a while ago about having to write strings in bytes and wanting to just put the letters in, but there you go... :roll:

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #599 on: 2009-09-04 18:29:15 »
Darn you Kudistos for bringing that up! I hate you!!! DX

It's a good point, though. I'll make it so you can put a hex value inside curly brackets and it'll force that raw value into the string. That's simple enough. I'm doing that in several other places already.

Pffeh, fine. I don't hate you....yet. This is why I need testers. :)