Author Topic: What is the polycount that final fantasy vii can handle?  (Read 3989 times)

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
Hi guys. I am currently working a re-designing a couple of characters from ff-vii and i would like to know what are the limits of the triangles etc that i shouldn't exceed so that my characters can actually be playable?? I know people have already answered this question somewhere. But i've been through most of the forum and i can't remember were it was.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-29 00:59:23 by kicker »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: What is the polycount that final fantasy vii can handle?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-29 12:35:44 »
I cannot remember exactly but it was something like 65535 per p file i think. This would be the maximum the game engine could handle. The practical limit would be much lower. Most of the Team avalanche models are around 5-6000 tri's. I am sure you could easily get away with 5x that if you wish.

kicker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-29 14:36:12 »
Thanks for the tip. This will make it much easier for me to work on my project. :) Is that limit the same for his limit breaks as well? Since his limit breaks makes him change into monsters should i play around 5-6000 tri's for them as well? or Is the limit lower than that?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-29 15:08:12 »
I couldnt really say for sure. I believe it is considered a new model so it should be fine. But you are kind of charting untested waters here. Aali may be able to give you more information though.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-29 19:27:39 »
The hard limit is 65535 *vertices* per *group*, where a single .p file can contain more groups than you will ever need.

I can tell you that you'll most likely run into performance problems with worldmap/field models before they become a problem in battle. Beyond that, you tell me how far you can push it before it goes down the shitter.

kicker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-29 21:09:36 »
haha. I hope i'll be able to make till the world model. I'll first start with the battle models even though it will be hell for me. I'm quite new to modeling/texturing. I want to see how will it turn out with the skeleton of the model. A lot of people tried to mod vincent but they had difficulties. Cross your fingers for me and thanks for all the help  :-D  :-D i will push it till you can't flush it out anymore Aali :P