Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007751 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03d)
« Reply #2000 on: 2015-09-25 22:46:21 »
Ok so here are the final changes:

Enemy moves

Mad gouge > Frenzy (literally disordered [chaotic] stabs)
Aspire >  Siphon (very likely Aspirate or Aspirare.)

Items

Mute Mask > Mask (it's literally "Silent Mask", but the idea is the mask stops the person saying the spell, which inflicts Silence. It's also probably meant to be literally "Mask of Silence")

Enemies

Curvinue > Curubik (a liberty here so that there's at least a semblance of the original meaning intact. We don't know what the "nu" part is about and Curubinu will come across as meaningless babble rather than a name inspired by Rubik's Cube)

Jumping > Jumper

Jejujemi > Jejugemi (I am going to go by the assumption that jejunum is possible and that the second part is inspired by Gemini or Gems [given the colour of this creature] ).

Acrofies > unchanged (I looked at kana again and this is a "fies" sound (it uses zu, not su).  Unless -ophis sounds like "ofies" ? or the Greek original works with the kana.  Checking with Luksy.

Bagnadrana > Bugnadrana (Yeah, can't believe I didn't spot this before.  Just look at the enemy, it is clearly a bug and a dragon.  It may even be wise to name this Bugdra)

Grim Guard > unchanged (whilst I like the idea this came from Grimm, we need evidence it is not just Grim)

Zorokarter > Zorokartir  (this appears to be the most common in English)

Thanks for the input White Wind and Shasta McNasty.  A few more loose ends sorted.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-26 19:25:05 by DLPB »

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: 2015-09-26 22:11:28 »
Glad to help.  Can't wait to try the new translation.  I'm on pins and needles over here waiting for the Steam patch to come out, haha.  Are you planning to wait until January to release it (after your proofreader's had a go at it) or do you think you'll be releasing a Steam patch in between then and now?

Also, by the way...

Those entries (All entries not in red or green ) are finalized now regardless.  If they drive you mad, I have nothing against you fixing them up for your own game :)  There has to come a time to draw a line under it all because we could go round forever with this.

...are you referring to the TouphScript editor when you say that we can change them for our own game?  Is that something that's easy to use if you have no programming know-how?  I might want to make some adjustments to spell names and such before I start my game to fit my own preferences if that's an option, but I have next to no programming experience or knowledge whatsoever.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: 2015-09-26 22:13:54 »
Yeah, ts is extremely easy to work with in regards to changing text.  Though that will also need an update to work with R04+ properly. In any case, there should be a release before the end of October for sure.  Proof reading will be on-going but I really do want a finalized retranslation by January 1.  The proof reading is out of my hands and, so far, only Hian has agreed.  And he's also busy.

If any of you guys can start threads on other forums for someone who is competent with Japanese, English, and FF7; I would be very grateful.  At this point in time, we do need a dedicated Japanese proof read.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-28 00:28:20 by DLPB »

NeuroticNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: 2015-09-30 20:41:09 »
This does not seem to want to play nice with the 7th heaven mod. I installed all the mods first and then just ran the program to install the "Because"  mod nothing else and went I went to launch the game it gets to a scene that involves text and then just freezes and crash. Any idea what is going on?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: 2015-09-30 20:51:49 »
x
« Last Edit: 2015-12-01 11:32:34 by DLPB »

NeuroticNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: 2015-09-30 23:32:19 »
I'm not debating it does not but why does it work up until I install your Reunion mod and then the same aforementioned mod crashes the game but yet when I uninstall it, everything goes back to normal and works 100%. Furthermore I am not asking you if it will work I'm flat out telling you based on what I have experienced. Don't worry I will find out what is wrong and report back so other users don't run into the problem. Thank you.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: 2015-09-30 23:35:26 »
x
« Last Edit: 2015-12-01 11:32:43 by DLPB »

NeuroticNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: 2015-09-30 23:50:26 »
I already skimmed through the pages before I posted my question, but I'm only seeing references to "script fixes" Maybe I will just uninstall the 7H mods and try running just reunion and backtrack from there. Sorry for mucking up your forums, but where else should I post this. Is there a "troubleshooting" category where I can talk amongst others with this problem?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: 2015-09-30 23:51:43 »

NeuroticNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: 2015-10-01 00:01:45 »
Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: 2015-10-01 03:38:05 »
The one thing that disagrees with this is that these are spoken spells.  We're supposed to imagine that the words are being spoken - which gives a leeway to the spell names. I can believe that someone would say "Rise" or "Arise" at a person compared to "Raise".   But if you take it the other way that these are just names, Raise works better.  But then mixing "Raise" with "Arise" also presents problems.

I see where you're coming from and I don't necessarily disagree.

I do think even spoken Raise makes sense. Not so much in a "This grammatically makes sense." But, more of a stylistic/aesthetic way of "This makes sense in the way wacky stuff in Anime makes sense." Like Sailor Moon shouting "Moon Prism Power Makeup!" in order to transform. It's a totally nonsensical sentence, but that's just the aesthetic that comes along with shouting out the name of your abilities/spells/things.

Anyways, I only mention it because I feel that in a world where people are calling Meteor "The Ultimate Destructive Magic" (which sounds goofy as heck), they'd probably go around saying "Raise!" when casting a resurrection spell. Personally, I feel weird about renaming franchise spells to something different from their modern nomenclature, if only because from a gameplay standpoint it may be a little confusing to people familiar with the Final Fantasy franchise. I think renaming the old names of spells to modern nomenclature was a good choice though for sure, it just feels odd to me doing it the other way around.

Just my two cents as someone who went through the game with the retranslation patch.

Shasta McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: 2015-10-03 19:52:55 »
Got one more.  If things are finalized-finalized and you don't want to hear about these anymore, then let me know and I'll stop posting them.  But I'm pretty sure this is right.

Dejon (デジョン): I believe this is actually supposed to be "Deadzone."  If you look at what the spell does in each game (especially Final Fantasy I, where it originated, and off course Final Fantasy VII, where it removes an enemy from battle and flags it as dead), look at the katakana and take into account the 4-character limit, it adds up.  It's supposed to be a contraction, in the same way "Meruton" from other Final Fantasy games is actually a 4-character contraction of "Meltdown," "Gurabide" is actually a 4-character contraction of "Gravity," etc.  I suppose it could also be "De-Zone," but then "Meruton" could be "Melton," which it probably wasn't meant to be (both De-Zone and Melton are more vague and more nonword-ish than Deadzone and Meltdown).  The 4-character limit could easily have forced the Japanese to contract "Deadzone" into 4 characters in such a manner, just as it did with "Meltdown."

Also, if you look at the "Life Deadzone" (ライフデジョン) ability from other games (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sacrifice_(Ability)), it makes for an interesting play on words, which I believe was intentional.

I'm so sure of this I just added it into the Final Fantasy wiki, lol.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-03 20:38:39 by Shasta McNasty »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: 2015-10-03 22:33:56 »
It's wrong.  The kana spells "Di-sion / Dejon"  And was created when FFs had a limit of 4 characters (hence Di-sion and not the full Dimension).  All times this move is seen originally (and overwhelmingly elsewhere) it is a dimension shift ability and is better translated to "Warp".  The "Di-sion Hammer" for example is an enemy that warps about the screen.   It isn't sending anything to a "zone" , it's just teleporting things.

デジョン: Dejon (FF1)

ディメンション: Dimension (it can also use ジ)

デッド・ゾーン: Dead Zone (like the film)

The kana isn't comparable at all.  Di-sion can match, but deadzone is nowhere close.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-04 17:22:16 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: 2015-10-04 21:47:02 »
Attention!

It turns out that my edit to the Midgardsormr background (sichi) did indeed end up making people teleport back to the cave later in the game.  This is because the game is crap allows you to enter the field on a chocobo and then my fix allows you to head north.  Without returning to the world map, the game remembers the status of you riding the chocobo.  I am not sure why only certain parts of the game are affected by this but, for now, if you don't want this error, make sure that you dismount from the chocobo BEFORE entering the cave.

The easiest fix would be to stop you entering the cave on a chocobo, but we have no script editor for world map.

Thanks tonysonico for the info.

Edit:

Seems a way to solve this would be to set var [1][124] (to no chocobo on map).  I'll find out what to set this to t remove the chocobo from the world map.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-04 22:21:05 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: 2015-10-04 23:57:43 »
var [1][126] seems to be the one being set when normal chocobo is being ridden.  0 = no chocobo, 1 = chocobo on world map, 2 = chocobo being ridden.  (so when riding chocobo, value is 3 [1+2]).  In other words, bit0 is the flag to place it on the map, and bit1 is telling the game if you are riding it.  If you ride into an area like highwind or that cave, it will remain ON.

Setting value to 0 (and hence all bits to 0) removes chocobo from world map.  This may also fix the teleport issue.

edit.

Confirmed.  This fixes the issue.  When [1][126] is set to 3, the jump back to world map places you on the chocobo.  If the last place that was at is the cave, that's where you'll go.  If no chocobo location is set, you'll end up in the sea at world map coord 0,0.  This depends on the field you return from.  Some jumps back to field will only display the chocobo riding tutorial (and leave the chocobo and character separated), while others will place the character on the chocobo.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-05 03:08:06 by DLPB »

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: 2015-10-05 05:28:08 »

It turns out that my edit to the Midgardsormr background (sichi) did indeed end up making people teleport back to the cave later in the game. 

Glad I wasn't crazy. It was still probably the funniest bug I had ever encountered. "Hey, thanks for the Materia suckers. Now I'm going to strand you in the middle of nowhere without any way to get back to me or my Materia!" Classic Yuffie.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: 2015-10-05 11:03:27 »
Did you manage to fix that by unchecking the "riding chocobo" option in black chocobo?  If so, that will be setting [1][126] to 0.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: 2015-10-08 02:14:34 »
Attention!

Sigh.  With regret I must inform you that it was also my installer that was crashing 7th heaven modded games (at least this seems to be the case) by adding incorrectly named files to flevel.lgp (because inno installer changes file names when it shouldn't). This will be corrected in R03e.  I have added this bug to bug tracker.

« Last Edit: 2015-10-08 03:12:29 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2018 on: 2015-10-08 02:52:37 »
Are these bad files a part of the script fixes option, ReTranslation, or both?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: 2015-10-08 03:11:17 »
Are these bad files a part of the script fixes option, ReTranslation, or both?

Just script fixes with R03d.

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: 2015-10-09 18:31:58 »
Sorry to be out of touch for a long time. Life happened.

Getting into the .txt files, now. The old man in the cave is more hostile in Japanse, and also sounds more like a geezer. How do you feel about additional foul language in the dialog? (only to match the original characterization of course)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: 2015-10-09 18:59:48 »
I think the foul language is fine as it is and I am very reluctant to alter that.  It can easily go too far (but feel free to point out any alternate harsh words or even swear words that you feel fit a given situ, because I am not totally closed on it).  As for the cave, do you mean the one who sleeps?

I've created a small document on google drive for people who want to go through the maps and have their say on it.  All input by a Japanese speaker is greatly needed and appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-09 19:02:24 by DLPB »

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: 2015-10-09 19:56:16 »
I think the foul language is fine as it is and I am very reluctant to alter that.  It can easily go too far (but feel free to point out any alternate harsh words or even swear words that you feel fit a given situ, because I am not totally closed on it).  As for the cave, do you mean the one who sleeps?
Yeah, him. Specifically this line:
Code: [Select]
「ふん、じゃがワシが
 起きたとき会ったのも
 なにかの縁じゃわい。
 ほれ!」
Which I interpret as:
“Sh*t.
  Me bein' awake and you here...
  Must be some kinda fate.”{NEW}
“Here!”
"ふん" is a fecal swear, but this case could also just be a sound. Although he doesn't curse elsewhere, his dialect is rough and I'm tempted to belive it's some thing like "Well sh*t..." or "Sh*t son," like an old miner might say.

I've created a small document on google drive for people who want to go through the maps and have their say on it.  All input by a Japanese speaker is greatly needed and appreciated.
I should probably update, if you've made changes since what I downloaded before. Sounds like you have.

edit: "Me bein' 'wake" is how I imagine his voice, but two apostrophes next to each other looks terrible.
edit: Just to avoid making the wrong impression: I know it would be impractical to post here about every particular adjustment. Until I have something to send back to you I'm only going to ask general questions--like how you feel about extra foul language--using examples as I come by them.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-09 20:14:29 by quequotion »

Jahiliyyah

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: 2015-10-09 20:21:23 »
Yeah, him. Specifically this line:
「ふん、じゃがワシが
 起きたとき会ったのも
 なにかの縁じゃわい。
 ほれ!」
Which I interpret as:
“Sh*t.
  Me bein' awake and you here...
  Must be some kinda fate.”{NEW}
“Here!”
"ふん" is a fecal swear, but this case could also just be a sound. Although he doesn't curse elsewhere, his dialect is rough and I'm tempted to belive it's some thing like "Well sh*t..." or "Sh*t son," like an old miner might say.
I should probably update, if you've made changes since what I downloaded before. Sounds like you have.

edit: "Me bein' 'wake" is how I imagine his voice, but two apostrophes next to each other looks terrible.
edit: Just to avoid making the wrong impression: I know it would be impractical to post here about every particular adjustment. Until I have something to send back to you I'm only going to ask general questions--like how you feel about extra foul language--using examples as I come by them.

That's how it's usually translated. That or crap.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: 2015-10-10 14:37:55 »
@quequotion

Check your private messages :)