Author Topic: How do I disable the keyboard in FF7?  (Read 8440 times)

TrevHolland

How do I disable the keyboard in FF7?
« on: 2012-08-17 05:24:03 »
I apologize if this is floating around somewhere, but I did a search for "keyboard" and "disable keyboard" and a couple other things that were a long shot. I didn't find what I was looking for.

I have FF7 with all sorts of fun mods thanks to Bootleg.  One of the best things is that I can play in windowed mode.  This lets me keep IRC and Facebook and crap visible while I play. The problem is when I click out of FF7 and into something else and start typing. FF7 doesn't let go of the keyboard so my typing makes me start opening menus and crap. I use a controller to play FF7, so I have no reason for the game to even recognize my keyboard. (And I'm not using xpadder or anything...just a plain ol' usb PC controller)

tldr: how do I disable the keyboard in FF7?

Thanks!

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: How do I disable the keyboard in FF7?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-17 09:07:40 »
well i don't think there is any existing patch to disable your keyboard in FF7 but it can be done easily, i have made a small patch for you
http://www.mediafire.com/?3sq982hz7njc5p8
the patch was made using DUP2, some virus scanners will detect it as a virus, it isn't a virus its a false positive, but if this still bothers you, you can use this patch
http://www.mediafire.com/?4k86mda26yjv4y4
it does the same thing but was created with DLPB's Hexteditor (so your virus scanner won't go off), to use this patch put it in the same folder as FF7.exe and run the Hexteditor and it will patch FF7.exe
(also make sure if you are on vista or win7 or win8 to run as admin when patching)

or if you know what you are doing you could just get a hex editor and edit these address's
0001E2DF
0001E2E0
0001E2E1
0001E2E2
0001E2E3
change each of the above address's to 90 and that will disable keyboard in FF7.

Also 1 more small note, this does disable the keyboard in FF7 but for some reason CTRL+Q still brings up the quit screen.
I hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-17 20:56:50 »
Alternatively, you can go to config, switch to 'default' key config, which means it will utilize only the numpad. unless you use numpad a lot, theres no danger of unintentionally doing stuff in ff7 while you alt-tab.
alternative 2, put numpad 0 as start, go into a battle, press start to pause it, alt-tab. I dont think I ever use numpad 0.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-17 21:34:06 »
This is actually a bug/misfeature in my driver. Use any of the above workarounds for now.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-17 21:35:12 »
with above workarounds, it's not really that bad a bug. every modern game has worse.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-18 00:35:07 »
Numpad 0 is the default CANCEL/RUN key.
Also, pausing during a battle expedites a memory leak in the OpenGL driver.
The game will eat up ram and crash much more quickly than usual.

TrevHolland

« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-18 04:50:27 »
Kranmer: Thanks for that! If I would have seen that post before all the others, I would have definitely used your patch. However, the other solutions are a little less invasive and easier to roll back if I do want keyboard use in game (not sure why I would...but you never know).  But thanks for the effort!  Hopefully someone else will come along needing something similar and your efforts won't be in vain.  :)

KuugenTheFox: I completely forgot the original key mapping was all numpad! I feel a bit noob-ish now.  Thanks...this solution will work out fine because I rarely use my numpad.

Aali: I don't consider this much of a bug at all. For all the amazing things your driver allows us, the keyboard thing isn't even an issue. :)

PitBrat: Good to know about the mem leak in battles. Also, thanks for the amazing work on Bootleg. For the amount of amazing shit it does and all the different mods it has to deal with, it's an amazing feat that there aren't many bugs at all.  And the bugs that are there are negligible. GREAT work!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-18 05:24:57 »
Numpad 0 is the default CANCEL/RUN key.
Also, pausing during a battle expedites a memory leak in the OpenGL driver.
The game will eat up ram and crash much more quickly than usual.

I've never, ever, ran into a memory leak rpoblem while playing
nor a crash because of it
people would have to play this on a TOASTER for that to happen.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding stuff. with OpenGL driver, do you mean Ali's Driver? Because whoever plays ff7 should be using that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-18 05:43:58 »
There is a memory link when pausing in battle.  I reported it to Aali a long time ago :)  if you set to show detailed information you can see the vertices and so forth continue to increase until eventually they crash the game. 

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-18 06:56:16 »
I've had a game paused, in battle, for like TEN HOURS and nothing much happened.
That's on a 4GB ram machine