Author Topic: Getting controller to work with Steam Link app  (Read 3006 times)

Poonaroon

• View Profile
Getting controller to work with Steam Link app
« on: 2020-06-02 21:01:34 »
I posted this on another forum but maybe someone here will know the answer:

I know about difficulties using a controller in Steam, but I mean using it with the Steam Link app and playing the game on a TV. Usually I have no trouble connecting the controller to the game on the computer, but when I try using a controller on a TV with the app it often doesn't work but sometimes does, and I don't know how to make sure it'll work. Is there some specific order you have to follow of starting Steam, starting the game, and connecting the controller?

I don't have problems with other games, it's just FF7, probably because of the launcher it uses. I have two controllers and I can connect one at the PC so the launcher will recognize controller commands, but when I try another controller at the TV there's usually no response. Sometimes this seems to cause the controller at the PC to disconnect, I have no idea why. It's not an issue of the TV not recognizing the controller.

Hs anyone else had this problem? Is there a mod to fix it?

Poonaroon

• View Profile
Re: Getting controller to work with Steam Link app
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-05 16:24:24 »
Maybe no one else has had this problem, but I think I figured it out and I’ll try to explain in case someone else needs to know:

On PC, start Steam and connect controller. Start FF7 launcher, make sure it registers joystick. Close launcher, disconnect controller. On TV, start Steam Link app and connect controller. Open launcher, start game.

karenjr95

• View Profile
Re: Getting controller to work with Steam Link app
« Reply #2 on: 2020-06-14 15:10:16 »
Okay, got it all to work yesterday, here is a quick tutorial:

I found a 3 step solution., hopefully folks find this thread and it helps out. Windows 10 and 7th Heaven 2.0

Step 1, provide Highest Priveledges (sic) to steam through the Task Scheduler, a quick google search will tell you how to execute with a shortcut as well. https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/run-uac-restricted-programs-without-the-uac-prompt/

Step 2, Go into 7th Heaven and create a profile.

Step 3, Add your non-steam 7th Heaven application to steam library and go to advanced launch options in steam. Then, type this in the box: "7th Heaven.exe" /PROFILE:[Name of your profile] /LAUNCH /QUIT

Then, hitting play will auto-load the launcher, with overlay permissions for steam. You should be able to find all other minute instructions here http://7thheaven.rocks/.