Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] FF8 Controller Buttons v2.0 (Compatible with FF8_Buttons Patch)  (Read 284881 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I found that ff8input.cfg file you were talking about.  I removed all the B1, B2 etc button assignments but they are still showing in game.
What color is B1, B2 etc?

I'm puzzled.  A screenshot would really help.  A lot.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13 02:56:29 by Mcindus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
 8)  Great mod.  I'll use it when I play FF8 again.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
8)  Great mod.  I'll use it when I play FF8 again.

Thank you very much.  I was just thinking exactly the same thing about the Reunion.  Actually... I was thinking more along the lines of "holy strawberries, your mod is amazing".

mudyh2o

• View Profile
I'm using ds4windows and i've tried everything in the guide and in the comments that you recommend to get the HID pack to work. no matter what i try everytime i go to customize controller in game i get the green b1-b10 letters. if i press a button on the keyboard (backspace, enter, etc...) the playstation icons will flash until i let the button go. it also does not let me save these settings.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I'm using ds4windows and i've tried everything in the guide and in the comments that you recommend to get the HID pack to work. no matter what i try everytime i go to customize controller in game i get the green b1-b10 letters. if i press a button on the keyboard (backspace, enter, etc...) the playstation icons will flash until i let the button go. it also does not let me save these settings.

Does Ds4windows map the keyboard inputs to the buttons?  If you're still getting B1, B2, etc, it's because the game is seeing the controller as the input option.  You can always wait until FFVIII boots and THEN plug in your controller and start DS4windows, but that fix kinda sucks. 
If you still see B1-B10, try the non-HID version (regular version).
If this STILL doesn't fix your problem, there's a longer fix for this issue below but I wouldn't do it until you try the other options.

Do this part ONLY if you're mapping keyboard inputs to a controller using a HID mapper.

In a file explorer go to:
\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VIII Steam
Edit the file called ff8input.cfg
Change the numbers below the Joystick section to all be 0s so that it looks like this

Joystick
1. "Select" 0
2. "Exit" 0
3. "Misc" 0
4. "Menu" 0
5. "Toggle" 0
6. "Trigger" 0
7. "RotLt" 0
8. "RotRt" 0
9. "Start" 0
10. "Select" 0
11. "Up" 0
12. "Down" 0
13. "Left" 0
14. "Right" 0

Save the file and then right click on it and open it's properties.  Make the file read only.  Now the game won't try to use its own settings for the controller nor show controller buttons (B1-10) in game.  Try not to open the Controller settings window after you make this fix or you may have to repeat it.

mudyh2o

• View Profile
Does Ds4windows map the keyboard inputs to the buttons?  If you're still getting B1, B2, etc, it's because the game is seeing the controller as the input option.  You can always wait until FFVIII boots and THEN plug in your controller and start DS4windows, but that fix kinda sucks. 

I tried this and it worked for the button images, however the left analog stick nolonger functions.

If you still see B1-B10, try the non-HID version (regular version).

when i try this option all the images are swapped (i.e. "x" shows as "r2" etc...)

In a file explorer go to:
\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VIII Steam
Edit the file called ff8input.cfg
Change the numbers below the Joystick section to all be 0s so that it looks like this

Joystick
1. "Select" 0
2. "Exit" 0
3. "Misc" 0
4. "Menu" 0
5. "Toggle" 0
6. "Trigger" 0
7. "RotLt" 0
8. "RotRt" 0
9. "Start" 0
10. "Select" 0
11. "Up" 0
12. "Down" 0
13. "Left" 0
14. "Right" 0

Save the file and then right click on it and open it's properties.  Make the file read only.  Now the game won't try to use its own settings for the controller nor show controller buttons (B1-10) in game.  Try not to open the Controller settings window after you make this fix or you may have to repeat it.

i also tried this method. the problem i'm having is lets say i finish a battle and the bottom of the screen says "press 'x' to confirm" it will show as "press 'B10' to confirm" but if i hold the "enter" key or "backspace" key on my keyboard the correct psx button shows up. I can try to do shadowplay to make a video if that helps.

Faey

• View Profile
I just started playing the steam version of FFVIII again today and grabbed this mod along with a few of your others.  It works great except that I'm getting X/O and Triangle/Square showing as the other (so X shows as O, O shows as X, etc.)  I'm using a generic brand PS3 controller, Tonberry Enhanced 2.02, and the Controller Buttons for PSX linked in the first post.  Also using SeeD Reborn 3.2, Horizon 2.1, LunarCry 1.2, and Tripod 1.1.  I restored the Sy folder back to the SeeD Reborn versions and the B1, B2, etc show correctly for their corresponding buttons.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Hey there...
Any way to make this work with sony ps3 controler and ScpServer?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Hey there...
Any way to make this work with sony ps3 controler and ScpServer?

This should work for any setup anyone has.  The regular version is if you didn't have to 'assign' your buttons (for example, if you're using a proper controller driver)  and the HID interface options are for people with controllers that don't, and have to bind the keyboard keys to the buttons on their pad.  If the issues you're having are caused by DirectInput/Xinput and ScpServer conflicts, then there is a big workaround found here -
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15905.msg224289#msg224289
just make sure that you make the file 'read only' because if you don't, every time you open controller settings, it will force the default settings back into the ff8input.cfg file.

I just started playing the steam version of FFVIII again today and grabbed this mod along with a few of your others.  It works great except that I'm getting X/O and Triangle/Square showing as the other (so X shows as O, O shows as X, etc.)  I'm using a generic brand PS3 controller, Tonberry Enhanced 2.02, and the Controller Buttons for PSX linked in the first post.  Also using SeeD Reborn 3.2, Horizon 2.1, LunarCry 1.2, and Tripod 1.1.  I restored the Sy folder back to the SeeD Reborn versions and the B1, B2, etc show correctly for their corresponding buttons.

Hm.  Not sure why your controller has the Buttons swapped.  Are you using the default controller driver for that generic controller?  Or are you using a program like Xpadder, JoyToKey, etc?
« Last Edit: 2015-05-03 18:01:11 by Mcindus »

eXistenZe

• View Profile
The HID version shows the B1-10 inputs.
The non-HID has the buttons swapped (shows triangle for confirmation for example).

I never assigned buttons in driver, windows or ff8.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora

The HID version shows the B1-10 inputs.
The non-HID has the buttons swapped (shows triangle for confirmation for example).

I never assigned buttons in driver, windows or ff8.

This seems like it might be a button layout issue for the PS3 controller.... it looks like the button number assignments are different for the PS1/PS2 controllers than for the PS3?  That's really stupid, sony.  Do you guys have a button 'number' layout?  Can you just describe for me EXACTLY what your issue is (which buttons are swapped), I will make a special PS3 version of the mod for you :)  (Is X swapped for O for both of you?)

eXistenZe

• View Profile
I forgot something... I use the x-box driver with scpserver like described here...
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Here's my game controler layout in windows properties: 1-X, 2-Circle, 3-Square, 4-Triangle, 5-L1, 6-L2, 7-Select, 8-Start, 9-Left thumb, 10-Right thumb.
Here are some pics from in game:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/de4lespnvdxk68x/AAAZiTH3Z5gWJTVht8BMb-Qya?dl=0

solidOz

• View Profile
I'm useing ScpServer, same link from eXistenZe. His button layout is the same way as mine too.

PS3 controller connected over USB

Circle -> Circle
Triangle -> Square
Square -> X
X -> Triangle

This is what I see when I access custom controlls in FF8. When I press Triangle the button gets assigned as Square.
I'm useing the default settings over the launcher.

If I don't touch the custom settings at all and leave it on normal I see "press Triangle" after a battle, even tho it should be X. It's pretty confusing.

I also have JoytoKey running, but the Dpad is the only thing I have mapped onto the Keyboard(Arrow Keys), the rest isn't mapped and default. This way I can use the Analogstick and the Dpad at the same time.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-04 10:08:23 by solidOz »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I forgot something... I use the x-box driver with scpserver like described here...
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

I'm useing ScpServer, same link from eXistenZe. His button layout is the same way as mine too.

Oh my this is funny... so I just had to use the Xbox button locations from my Xbox file and place the PSX buttons in -those- locations.  Anyway, look in the OP for the new file!  Thanks for your help, guys!
« Last Edit: 2015-05-04 19:03:06 by Mcindus »

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Better, but not perfect...
Check this...

Escape is locked by the program to b9 and b10 (the analog sticks).
And pause is also switched with POV...

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Check this...

Escape is locked by the program to b9 and b10 (the analog sticks).
And pause is also switched with POV...

OMW to work -- will fix the analog sticks vs l2/r2 when I get home.  That glitch where it shows an 'extra' X button is unavoidable unless you use the HID version.

solidOz

• View Profile
Oh my this is funny... so I just had to use the Xbox button locations from my Xbox file and place the PSX buttons in -those- locations.  Anyway, look in the OP for the new file!  Thanks for your help, guys!

we thank you <3  ;)

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora

How is that, now??

we thank you <3  ;)

You are welcome!  I hope this newest version is better!

eXistenZe

• View Profile
You fixed it already?
I'll try it when I get home...

kenichi

• View Profile
I dont understand; I install mod correctly and I start game its perfectly running but after 1-2 days I click game and launcher has stopped working. My FF8 is steam version. I downloaded controller buttons and hid interface; should I use both them or which one I choose?
« Last Edit: 2015-05-22 21:37:02 by irienaoki »

DarkMatta

• View Profile
Don't what has caused the issue, but I got to the part where Rinoa explains the train mission to you and parts of the wording is replaced with the assigned button symbol. I thought I took a screenshot but it looks like I didn't.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-29 21:50:56 by DarkMatta »

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
thank you! I'm using a PS3 controller, its perfect now :D
« Last Edit: 2015-07-18 22:47:53 by Fendera »

Kiaos

• View Profile
The buttons don't show up unless i press the button. otherwise it shows up as b1, b6 and such but when i press down then it switches.

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
The buttons don't show up unless i press the button. otherwise it shows up as b1, b6 and such but when i press down then it switches.

What Controller do you use? Did you set it as default in windows?

Kiaos

• View Profile
I'm trying to use photoshop to edit the png for FF8_ControllerButtons_PS3_Scp Im trying to remove right stick and left stick and replace them with R2 and L2 But I don't know the first thing about photoshop even though i bought it for my mom way back then.

Im using DS4Windows tool by Jays2Kings to emulate the 360 controller with my ps4 controller but the buttons are wrong with the FF8_CB_PSX so that doesnt work.

I'm using the standard default controller config that the FF8 steam settings uses when you hit default and using the mapper to swap the right stick and left stick with the L2 and R2 on my ps4 controller.

Can someone edit the FF8_ControllerButtons_PS3_Scp and pull the R2 and L2 images from FF8_CB_PSX file and put them where the Right and left sticks are or tell me how to use photoshop so i can do it myself.

I edited it myself its passable for me to play although the right image doesn't line up with the left image well. oh well someone else can modify it and do it themselves.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-03 04:56:25 by Kiaos »