Author Topic: Anti-potty. Anyone...?  (Read 10377 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« on: 2005-05-25 18:34:58 »
Anyone want to help me purge FF7 of its potty elements (Cid's mouth, Wall market.. etc.)?  If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it besides manually through COSMO, please tell.  Once you unzip f_level.lgp.. is the text encrypted? If so what is the key?

RPGillespie

PS. If you like the cussing, don't degrade my higher standard  :wink:

JPWest

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-25 19:28:09 »
What exactly is the problem with the slightly more adult langauge and areas?

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-25 21:09:57 »
Well... I don't enjoy reading cuss words every other sentence, and the "adult" themes are bad.  Who likes sex-related ghetto scenes?  Wall market is like prostetute-city, and me no like.

RPGillespie

JPWest

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-25 21:14:00 »
There's hardly any cussing... and the only prostitution going on in Wall Market is at the Honeybee (well... and the Dons mansion)

ice_cold513

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-25 21:21:56 »
Quote from: JPWest
There's hardly any cussing... and the only prostitution going on in Wall Market is at the Honeybee (well... and the Dons mansion)

Yep and that part of the game so if your going to do over that part. What you going to do make it a Cinema. Then why would that 1 guy wont go in there and then give's you the pass

ooo P.S Now iam there RPGillespie you use the text editers can thay change the Text Fonts

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-25 22:07:45 »
Howabout you just dont talk to cid? =P

Besides which fact is 99% of the swearing is censored anyway.  Just dont have cid in your party in the forgotten capital and you're golden.

Unless you don't like the word "damn", in which case i must laugh at your anal sensetivities.

JPWest

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-25 22:22:49 »
If the game translation is anything like how they deal with anime then there is supposed to be a hell of a lot more swearing...

Goku7

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-25 22:29:22 »
.....RPGillespie, you DO know that there is swearing (not spoken, though, all the dialogue is sub-titled in english with no voiceovers) in the ending FMV, and that the only way of editing it out would require movie-editing software?

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-26 19:13:13 »
I don't mind if there is only a little swearing at the end, but its the endless pages of hell, damn, dammit, etc. that annoys me, besides which, my cousin can't play games w/ swearing. Therefore, he can't play ff7.  If only I didn;t have to manually change every word in cosmo (search and replace tool doesn't work), for that would take days, weeks even. Sapphire almost works except it drains my memory when I convert txts back into levels, and 7mimic would have benn fine except its for PSX discs only.  What the gay.  Its going to be a long summer.  So, how hard exactly do you think it would be to fix the search and replace tool on COSMO?  (I would have to learn delphi since all I know is C++ and a little Java).  Any one have any ideas of how to mass change the text (ex.  replace all damn(s) whith darn(s))?

RPGillespie

P.S. I have already done wall market with cosmo since it is only 5-10 'levels' of flevel.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-26 19:21:56 »
You do realize there's a part where a woman gets STABBED THROUGH THE SPINE AND GUT AND DIES.  Are you gonna do anything about that?  What about the simulated battling and killing of lots and ltos of people and animals?

Or do your cousin's parents find the word "damn" more insulting than lots and lots of violence and death?  Because if that's the case, i think they need to rewire their priorities and give the kid up for adoption, because that doesn't sound like good parenting to me.

See, those Columbine kids?  They based their actions on a video game full of VIOLENCE, not one full of swearing.  If anything is going to break your cousin's little mind, and desesitize him and make him a horrible human being, it's the violence content.

Not "damn" *rolls eyes*

But here's an idea to help you anyway: Find a game script and find out where all the "damn"s and "hell"s are, and from there try to figure out where all the text files with those words would be.  If I recall correctly, all the texts are arranged by field-location, so it won't be that hard =)

Niai

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-27 01:13:56 »
I really don't see what there is censor. The little actual swearing that there was in the original game was taken out when it was ported to the PC, and I hardly think it is worth the time and effort taking out every minor cuss. Do what you will. I do feel for your cousin though. It does sound like he has rather overprotective parents.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-27 02:57:06 »
Well, if you don't consider damn and hell cusswords... well, then there is like no swearing.  Some people's parents however, do. So, I must find a way to do it.   I want to see if I can do it.  Its like a goal.  I've played through most of FF7, And I want to see If I can successfully hack a game other than an emulator rom.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-27 14:11:46 »
Quote from: EmperorSteele

...Because if that's the case, i think they need to rewire their priorities and give the kid up for adoption, because that doesn't sound like good parenting to me. (said in resonse to downgrading swearing but not violence)

Quote from: Niai

I do feel for your cousin though. It does sound like he has rather overprotective parents.

Well, well, well.

I was sure I heard RPGillespie say

If you like the cussing, don't degrade my higher standard

But I suppose no one else did. :x

Or, like so many people in this world, maybe they just thought, "downgrade RPGillespie? No!  He said not to.  But downgrade his cousin, even his cousin's parents?!?! HECK YES!"

I can tell now you're not buying this.

How would the cousin feel?  He apparently just wants to play a classic game without getting in trouble.  Can none of you feel for him?

I can tell you're still not buying this.

I guess I have only one more thing I can say. :erm:

I dislike violence and all, but there's no blood, there's no gore!
They might as well ban Zelda.  BUt they know, I get enough swearwords at school.  I don't need them in every aspect of my life.  But I am the one who is not going to sit through hours on end of "*bleep* it, *bleepity*, you &*#*ing (^*^*bleep*er!!!!!!!!"

I guess you guys don't mind cussing.-_-

I do.

I'll help you, RPGillespie.

Synergy Blades

Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-27 15:01:12 »
My oh my, you're going to have a tough time when the real world hits. My suggestion, get a thicker skin, and enjoy the game for what it is.

JPWest

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-27 15:21:23 »
It's been said before and I'll say it again, if you don't like the cussing then exclude Cid from your party whenever possible.  That way there will be ~5 cuss words in ~70 hours of play, good odds in my book.

The alternatives being you either don't play the game, or you quit being a pussy.

FYI markishness, the swearing in FF7 isn't even nearly as bad as you have indicated with your "*bleep* it, *bleepity*, you &*#*ing (^*^*bleep*er!!!!!!!!".  Also, in the US FF7 has a teen rating, the swearing in the game is nothing your average 13 year old hasn't hear before - so you are either not old enough to play the game or you need to grow up.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-27 16:03:13 »
*officially adds topic to personal "stay the hell away from" list*

Oops. Better not read that, son. 8)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-27 19:05:08 »
RPGLipsie: Well, like i said, just use a game-script (like over at gamefaqs) to find where all the profanity is, and then just use that to help find all the "swearing".  That way, isntead of going through EVERY text-box, you can start to guess where they all are, AND cross them off as you go along ^_^

*starts thinking*

See, there should be no such thing as "swearing", ie, no words banned from acceptable public use.  That would be just one less thing people could do wrong, and no one would care, and this wouldn't even be an issue.

As for you, mister cousin, you seem eloquent and intelligent enough.  So you should use your intelligence to realize that "hell" and "damn" are just words, and seeing them isn't going to doom you to either such fate (ie, being damned or going to Hell).

Also, within the context of ff7, there is no Hell, and there's no God to damn or have damn things, so within that context, the characters really aren't swearing at all (I'm assuming that you and your parent's disdain for such words is rooted within deep religious beleifs).

Now, I'm not saying that you should use such words if you don't want to; in fact, it is the mark of a highly respectable person who doesn't degrade themselves to using profanity to get their thoughts across to others.  However, being a wet blanket and overly sensitive to just seeing the words on a screen becomes laughable to people who don't give a darn.

You're also missing out on a lot of great things if the only entertainment you partake in has to be G-rated.  The best policy, i think, is to take things with an open mind, and NOT CARE about things like explicitives.  Not once in the history of mankind has there been a documented case of someone seeing/hearing such words, and all of a sudden they burst into flames, or were smite from above or had some other horirble thing happen to them, so your reservations are not that well founded at all.

btw, this IS such a great game, such a classic and masterpiece, because the storyline has beleivable, realistic charaters.  Cid smokes and swears, Barret is a rough-n-tough blue-colalr man with a mouth... that's how some people are.  To shield one's self from such things only makes one an unbearable tightwad later in life.  Learn to lossen up now, and you'll be fine.  Of course, there's still the issue of the parents, and i doubt having a logical discussion about profanity and how it's not the ultimate of sins is going to change their perspective...

So just play the game when they're not home.

ps: I'm not trying to make fun of anyone, but rather try to logically debate with you two as to why your beleifs seem silly to other members of this board.

ps: Qhimm, check out their IP adresses. If they're from like, idaho or some other ultra-religious red-state, let us know, because arguing with goody-two-shoe-ness of that level is actually kinda pointless.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-27 22:30:20 »
Quote from: emperorsteele

So just play the game when they're not home.

Yeah, like I don't.

Don't worry, I'm not so goody-goody that I don't see any swear words.
I enjoy many PG-13 movies and I'm used to it.
I was wrong to act all offended, sorry about acting like a little saint whose sole mission in life is to destroy all vulgar things. :wink: I'm at least a little bad. :wicked:

I hope I haven't trashed either mine or RPGillespie's reputation over this....

P.S.  Qhimm, don't abuse your authority by teasing forum members.  I realize I've made a fool of myself, no use rubbing it in.  Especially since everyone takes your posts seriously(you are the head honcho!).  How many people are actually going to take "goody-goody-two-shoes" Markishness seriously now?!  :roll:

P.S. Also, Qhimm, you don't need to check my IP address: I live in Colorado.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #18 on: 2005-05-27 23:24:03 »
I am kind of surprised people took this thread so badly.  Just seemed like a person that wanted to edit FF7 as many of us have done or tried to do to make it a game him and his family can enjoy.  Seems perfectly reasonable.  It doesnt seem too out of line to come onto the forums and look for people that are also interested in his idea to help out with the load.  In all honesty I would be glad to help him out if I had any idea how to do it or if I had more time.

P.S: Kinda off-topic, I am kind of interested in removing the censors and replacing the %@$!'s with the actual curse words.  How might I go about doing this? ;)

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #19 on: 2005-05-28 00:46:11 »
Quote from: Dreakon
I am kind of surprised people took this thread so badly. Just seemed like a person that wanted to edit FF7 as many of us have done or tried to do to make it a game him and his family can enjoy. Seems perfectly reasonable. It doesnt seem too out of line to come onto the forums and look for people that are also interested in his idea to help out with the load. In all honesty I would be glad to help him out if I had any idea how to do it or if I had more time.

Amen, brother, amen!  :D

Quote from: Dreakon
P.S: Kinda off-topic, I am kind of interested in removing the censors and replacing the %@$!'s with the actual curse words. How might I go about doing this?

Notice, the name of this topic is called "anti-potty, anyone?", not "Potty, anyone?" :lol: Although I totally agree that you should be able to ask fellow hackers for help with your hacking projects, and what you're trying to do is, in essence, what I am trying to do, except vice versa, you must note that what I am trying to destroy, you are trying to create.  So, I think you should put this under a different thread.  It really defeats the purpose when some asks, " how do you get rid of this", and you say, "I don't know, but how do you add more of it?"  Anyway, to answer your question, a search and replace tool wouldn't be much help here, seeing as how every cuss is represented by a different assortment of symbols. (a.k.a. *&*@, &^%$, @(*&, and #%&!.)  So searching and replacing wouldn't really help, unless you are willing to search for every possible combination of symbols.  No, sorry, but I think the only way to go about that would be to manually do it.

Goku7

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #20 on: 2005-05-28 01:07:03 »
Ah, but buy searching for only one of the symbols that also doesn't show up unless its a curse, then you get all possible combinations in your search.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #21 on: 2005-05-28 01:15:10 »
Quote from: Markishness
Notice, the name of this topic is called "anti-potty, anyone?", not "Potty, anyone?" :lol: Although I totally agree that you should be able to ask fellow hackers for help with your hacking projects, and what you're trying to do is, in essence, what I am trying to do, except vice versa, you must note that what I am trying to destroy, you are trying to create.  So, I think you should put this under a different thread.  It really defeats the purpose when some asks, " how do you get rid of this", and you say, "I don't know, but how do you add more of it?"  Anyway, to answer your question, a search and replace tool wouldn't be much help here, seeing as how every cuss is represented by a different assortment of symbols. (a.k.a. *&*@, &^%$, @(*&, and #%&!.)  So searching and replacing wouldn't really help, unless you are willing to search for every possible combination of symbols.  No, sorry, but I think the only way to go about that would be to manually do it.

Note my "kinda off-topic" sentence.

It's all just changing the in-game text, whether I am trying to make symbols words or you are trying to make words symbols.  In essence we are looking to do the same thing, the only difference is in our heads. ;)

Thank you though for answering my question.  Sorry for dragging my off topic post but what program could I use to manually do it?  Answer this and i'll be out of your hair.  Thank you. :)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #22 on: 2005-05-28 01:58:59 »
Am I related to that kid? ...Anyways thanks for all of your suggestions... heh, heh *goes to different topic*

RPGillespie

P.S. Dreakon:  Use ficedula's cosmo to do it.  Use a gamescript to find which levels they are in and edit them from there.

Synergy Blades

Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #23 on: 2005-05-28 06:24:23 »
I've heard rumors of uncooporative forum members getting their hard drives jacked up mysteriously. I'll do my best to not have to deserve that

And where did you hear such rubbish?

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Anti-potty. Anyone...?
« Reply #24 on: 2005-05-28 14:06:03 »
Well, I was looking for a forum to join, and I heard of this one.  But, the people who recommended it to me told me I'd better not act up on the forums...or else. :wicked:

I really don't know if there's any truth in these rumors, but I know that if anything were to happen to this computer, it wouldn't work well for me.  But, if those rumors were really not based on fact, it would be embarassing to have anyone see that I believed them.

I'll go and edit out the little tidbit you quoted from my post now. :)