Author Topic: The best linux for starters?  (Read 16605 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
The best linux for starters?
« on: 2007-11-02 18:55:01 »
This topic has probably been created about a million times, but what is the best linux for someone just starting out?

I want to switch to linux, but I'm not sure which one (so many choices!). People have told me to use Ubuntu, Slackware, and others, but I'm not really sure what the difference is between them. Is one faster than another? By the way, my system isn't exactly a powerhouse, so I want something that isn't too hardware demanding...

Any suggestions?

RPGillespie

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Re: The best linux for starters?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-11-02 23:56:16 »
I personally think Ubuntu is (currently) the best for a Linux beginner.

- Pretty good hardware computability out-of-the-box.
 - Good package manager, finding/installing software is easy.
 - Installer is a "Live CD" – You can boot from the CD and run the OS without having to install it, to get an idea of how it'll work with your machine.
 - It is very popular, they have a lot of interesting "how to's" on their wiki and it is easy to find support if you need it.

It does a lot of things for you, so you don't have to worry so much about the "underlying Linux" and you are more free to just experiment with the applications and with the system itself.  You can dig into the guts of it if you want.

Just my opinion.  :-)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-11-03 06:52:03 »
Definately Ubuntu.

Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2007-11-03 09:38:58 »
This topic has probably been created about a million times, but what is the best linux for someone just starting out?

One that isn't case sensitive, Mr l33t hacker?

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-11-03 18:27:03 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go with Ubuntu.

One that isn't case sensitive? I'm trying to fathom the joke, but my memory fails me. Does this have to do with something I said years ago?
« Last Edit: 2007-11-03 18:31:16 by RPGillespie »

Zophixan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-11-08 16:47:16 »
Hey guys, just to not start up another thread, just started using linux so still a bit of a noob, is there any linux program which will automatically download required dependancies when I try to install a package?

Jari

« Reply #6 on: 2007-11-08 21:52:17 »

One that isn't case sensitive? I'm trying to fathom the joke, but my memory fails me. Does this have to do with something I said years ago?

You attempt to break into systems so often that minor things like that slip from your memory? :-D

Here's a hint; most things in Linux are case sensitive, including for example usernames and passwords for Apache's authentication. Remember that next time you try to enter a system without permission. Especially if the said username is known for all, and all you have to do is copy and paste it successfully. Well, that and figure out the password of course, but that's a whole another story. :)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-11-09 00:49:50 »
You attempt to break into systems so often that minor things like that slip from your memory? :-D
Ohhhhh yeah, haha. That incident. What was it... 2, maybe 3 years ago? I've only ever attempted to "break into" one system--the one you generously provided both the address and username to (albeit apparently I noobed up the username). And we both know that I was only half-heartedly trying out of sheer boredom. And I do recall apologizing for that, so it's not like you can hold that against me forever.

[Edit] that rofl icon is really annoying :P

Jari

« Reply #8 on: 2007-11-09 01:58:15 »
Two years.

If you insist on putting it in quotes, would you prefer that I consult the police then? It's still within its statute of limitations and carries a fine or a maximum of one year in prison. Attempt is punishable.

If I were you, I'd count my blessings that I'm content with mocking your stupid ass about it, instead of suing it.

I've only ever attempted to "break into" one system--the one you generously provided both the address and username to (albeit apparently I noobed up the username).

...yes?

Anyway, dunno if you have noticed, but most of the systems that use authentication of some sort actually are very open about their address. Would be somewhat difficult to use them otherwise.

Oh, wait. You expect us to take your word for it being the only one? Just like that it was your "cousins" who did the admin impersonator stunt, but yet mysteriously they posted from the very same IP used by our l33t hacker here. Sure, they could have been visiting, but then again there's the chance that you made that up. Mmm... can't make up my mind, which would be more likely?

And we both know that I was only half-heartedly trying out of sheer boredom.

Shall I dig up and post the log, which shows your every attempt and that some of them were some time apart?

And I do recall apologizing for that, so it's not like you can hold that against me forever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Yes, I recall you "apologizing" for it, too. Year afterwards, after I had humiliated you in public about it. :-D About as sincere as can be expected from you, really.

Do you still remember what you said in the PM you sent me right after I had posted that I know who is trying to break in? You sure didn't apologize then. Noooo, you were trying to suck up and find out how I knew it was you. Not to mention that had I actually been bluffing, your PM would have worked as a nice confession.

I can and will hold it against you forever and ever, just like I do with everyone of your asshat stunts here.

Not only that, I can haul your ass into court for it, which I'd recommend you keep in mind.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-11-09 02:58:54 »
lol it never ends...

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-11-09 04:53:41 »
Look, I'm sorry for accessing your server to look at a private message you made. I realize now it was wrong of me to try to look at a message someone had made for someone else, and I regret what I did. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #11 on: 2007-11-09 08:39:47 »
I recommend Ubuntu. One year ago, I was in the same situation, and I went with Ubuntu, and it works well for me. I did not need to boot to windows partition for more than 3 months now, ubuntu has all the software I need. ( though, some of the software was better on Windows, but I still can find something as replacement. Well free software is sometimes a little worse than commercial software ).
There are even some good working games on unix ! Right now I'm playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, both of them work flawlessly.
One of many webs that show unix games: http://kahvipapu.com/blog/2007/06/16/linux-gaming-part-one-first-person-shooters/

Zophixan: on ubuntu there is graphic tool "Synaptic" (Synaptic package manager) which lists you all the available packages, and also displays the dependencies.
There is also command line tool "apt-get" which works in very similair way.

Jari

« Reply #12 on: 2007-11-09 09:47:27 »
RPGillespie: No.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-11-09 16:16:40 »
Now that AMD has opened up its drivers for Linux, is there a possiblility for serious PC gaming on Linux?  Gaming is the only reason I'm still on Windows.  My media server uses Ubuntu and I'd like to make the switch on my desktop as well.

Jari

« Reply #14 on: 2007-11-09 19:45:42 »
My opinion?

Not a chance. While web browsing != gaming, that should give an idea about the balance of power.

Linux gaming is deader than Mac gaming, and Mac gaming has been pushing up daisies for a long time.

Not to mention that the entire PC gaming is very much fringe by now, eating the scraps consoles leave behind. IMHO, there's simply not room for more than one major PC platform, unless the market share of the entire PC gaming multiplies several times over.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-11-09 20:05:29 »
Oh, well I never met for a separate platform.  If there was a way to emulate a Windows environment, but I guess a dual boot of Windows / Linux would work much like the Mac / Windows option.

Jari

« Reply #16 on: 2007-11-09 20:15:24 »
Well... it's kinda possible.The emulation, I mean. Some people seem to think that Wine is actually decent, but I get this feeling that they have never tried to use Photoshop with it. :|

If, and this is a big if, virtualization software like VMWare gets working and fast DirectX support that might be an usable solution. It's very, very impressive software as is, but does not have finished DX support yet.

Dual booting would of course be one option.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-11-10 07:40:56 »
Rule of thumb. If you want to play ANY games on your PC and you want linux on there, Dual booting is your ONLY option.

I tried WINE with WoW the other week, and fuck, it was terrible.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-11-11 20:59:43 »
Games that use openGL like Unreal Tournement can be natively run in Linux.
And don't get Ubuntu, try for PCLinuxOS first, its got immediate MP3 playback and video playback, something that Ubuntu lacks.

Jari

« Reply #19 on: 2007-11-11 21:24:36 »

Uhhh... no?

And don't get Ubuntu, try for PCLinuxOS first, its got immediate MP3 playback and video playback, something that Ubuntu lacks.

...because typing 'sudo apt-get install vlc' (plus possible plugins you might want) is such a hassle. :roll:

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007-11-12 07:05:35 »

Er...What?

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-11-17 12:49:30 »

Er...What?
i think he meant "openGL based games can be easily ported to linux". that's what i make out of it, since win/opengl -> lin/opengl is easier to do than win/directx -> lin/opengl, right?

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007-11-19 22:24:34 »

Er...What?
i think he meant "openGL based games can be easily ported to linux". that's what i make out of it, since win/opengl -> lin/opengl is easier to do than win/directx -> lin/opengl, right?

If he meant that, he shouldnt have said something completely different to what he meant.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007-11-20 02:20:39 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_2004

It came with extra discs, so I assumed I could install it in Linux and Mac. Haven't tried yet though, but I assume it does work.
Supposedly this guy did it with a few crashes to the desktop:
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/features/reviews/playing-unreal-tournament-2004-linux

Concerning media playback, VLC can play everything, but Its not good for organization.

I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating the fact that you can play media without any more tinkering on PCLOS, and I assume that because UT2004 claims Linux support, it does.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007-11-20 23:15:54 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_2004

It came with extra discs, so I assumed I could install it in Linux and Mac. Haven't tried yet though, but I assume it does work.

The bonus disc was a DVD tutorial for that generations unrealED.  I should know, I have it.