Author Topic: [FF7-Steam] Ideas to make Barret way slower than the rest of the party?  (Read 3990 times)

Eligor

• View Profile
I'm modding FF7 to make it more like it has job classes and I've made a bit like a Paladin. However, I want his ATB to fill much slower than the rest of the party.

The way a character's turn speed is calculated in FF7 makes it difficult to have one character significantly slower. I tried reducing his Dexterity but that doesn't help much.

I thought about maybe modding accessories to give dex bonuses and handing them out to everyone but Barret, or giving everyone source dexterity bonuses except Barret. But maybe this will make characters too fast in relation to the enemies as well and I don't want that.

So, any ideas to make Barret slower than everybody else?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
With sources you can make anyone have any speed the user desires. You could remove speed sources altogether (or all sources if you want a pure class mod) and change the way his Dex grows. You can essentially do all this in WallMarket. Remove Menu usage from sources and then they're worthless. Then change Barret's starting Dex and even growth curve. The Luck curves are generally low so you could swap his luck with his dex and give him a higher dodge/critical rate in compensation.

Eligor

• View Profile
I have changed Barret's Dex to 1 and his ATB still fills up almost as fast as everybody else's.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
At low levels the Dex isn't going to be really fast anyway. It takes a while before anyone gets fast.

...if you enter battle with Cloud at 31 Agi and Barret at 24 Agi,
then the Normal Speed would be:

Normal Speed = RU((31 + 24) / 2) + 50
                             = RU(55 / 2) + 50
                             = RU(27.5) + 50
                             = 28 + 50
                             = 78

Your party members get the following increase:

Turn Timer Increase = [(Total Dex + 50) * V-Timer Increase / Normal Speed]

While monsters get this per tick instead:

Turn Timer Increase = [Dex * V-Timer Increase / Normal Speed]

It actually takes more higher-dexterous party members for Barret to get noticeably slower and could be disadvantageous if there are too many lower dex allies. V-Timer is only dependent on the battle speed and haste/slow/stop.

For Barret to be half as fast as Cloud, if it were just the two of them, Cloud's Dex would have to be 52 and Barret's would have to be 1. Cloud won't reach this until 56 at the earliest without sources.

In conclusion, don't expect Barret to be extremely slower than anyone else, but he will be slower.

Eligor

• View Profile
Is it possible to set him to slow automatically? the same way Sprint Shoes sets a character to Haste

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
You could set his pre-battle script to make him slow and give him immunity to haste I suppose. I don't think anything bad would come of that.

Eligor

• View Profile
How do I do that?

Also, two more questions:
1- Any way to have a character's limit break always on? Or at least modify a command so that it uses Cait Sith's slot, or Cait Sith's dice instead of the standard move?

2- Any way to edit Vincent and Cait Sith's stats?

I guess that was three questions.