Author Topic: Linux n00b. Please gentle.  (Read 11543 times)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: Linux n00b. Please gentle.
« Reply #25 on: 2018-07-29 03:12:40 »
I always find these threads kind of ironic. Windows causes the very least amount of problems for me, but I actually enjoy solving the tons of quirks getting Linux set up correctly -- which it _does_. Maybe I'm just cool like that

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #26 on: 2018-07-30 13:21:29 »
I really wasn't going to even say anything in this thread until someone dragged me here ..

It's funny you would say that because with windows you have a longer post install, you get to do a half dozen reboots while you install all your drivers. Then some other ungodly amount of time to install all the other software that the machine needs. Windows has no package management so you get todo it all one at a time and then more update time. In the amount of time windows it takes to set up I can have a dozen Linux machines working. The post install for Linux is to use the machine since everything is FOSS it comes with most of the software for daily use out of the box and the hardware support on linux is superb no drivers to install most hardware will "just work" . Granted some hardware doesn't work out of the box or have drivers yet but its less common then needing to install drivers on windows.

tldr: Windows may work with less problems for you but I suspect you spend as much it not more time then setting up linux to that same point.

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2018-07-31 05:44:13 »
Eh? I guess it depends on the person installing and what they've been using all their life.

It only takes me a weekend to get Windows XP and all my favorite programs running on it.

It took me a month to get Linux up and running to a point I am satisfied with, but this is the first time in my life that I've ever used Linux.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2018-07-31 18:04:16 »
Stuff changes all the time in linux. It doesn't take long for an unmaintained program to become unuseable. I have heard only bad things when I ask how a deb is made, and I know from personal experience that cross compiling/linking/assembling can be a nightmare.

Make a guide so you van reference it in the future. That's what I do.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #29 on: 2018-07-31 20:37:55 »
I have heard only bad things when I ask how a deb is made
Debs are not really that 'hard' to make the documentation is intimidating but the process itself is not really all to bad. Arch Linux with its PKGBUILD system is really easy and the documentation is so short you will wonder where the rest of it is.

Currently package systems are a hot topic with several cross platform formats being talked about. There is Flatpak and Snap that allow for simple install of applications in a cross distro way by providing a common base system their packages are built from. Now to me that seams kinda silly since its creating a shadow system on your system. For example the flatpak of my current project needs several other flatpaks as dependencies. It ends up needing alot more space then just my application because it also needs to have bundles for all the run times it needs and such. If this is sounding similar to the current package system on your current linux that would be because it is. The main difference is that the flatpak come from flathub (or another flatpak "repo") not your distros servers. Snap is similar to flatpak. Then there is Appimage; Appimages are a self contained format that is akin to the mac os "App Bundle" where all of an applications dependencies are contained with in the appimage. Chances are that at some point in the future that unmaintained application deployed as a flatpak, snap or appimage will continue to work long after the libraries its using have been changed.

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2018-08-01 05:00:16 »
I am trying to see if my Windows XP x64 VirtualBox can run games in case a program doesn't work under WINE, but when I try to run a game in the VM it says DirectX 9.0c isn't installed.

But the download here won't work for Windows XP x64, I think only the 32-bit version.

How do I get games/emulators to run on this thing in case Linux and WINE fails me?

Or should I be using VMware Player instead?

UPDATE:

Okay, after scouring Google and YouTube, found the answer.

Machine --> Settings --> Display

Set Video Memory to 128 MB, then check BOTH Enable 2D Video AND 3D Acceleration.

Then download the latest VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO. Then:

Devices --> Insert Guest Additions CD Image...

Restart and keep hitting F8 after shutdown until reboot to get to the Safe Mode menu. Boot into Safe Mode, then run the Guest Additions CD Image in a virtual drive lying in "My Computer". During the install, remember to check "Direct3D Support" and continue installing, then restart into "normal" mode.

Direct3D should be available now. Just don't expect to play anything like Metal Gear Solid V though.
« Last Edit: 2018-08-01 08:57:40 by NERV Agent »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #31 on: 2018-08-01 13:07:57 »
Direct3D should be available now. Just don't expect to play anything like Metal Gear Solid V though.

Metal Gear Solid V uses DX11. You have NO chance of running it on Windows XP Since Xp doesn't support Dx11 at. It does however work in wine using dxvk (if your card has vulkan support) . MGSV AppDb

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2018-08-02 20:05:20 »
Great thing about vms: really easy to have multiple images, only limit is hard drive space and getting activation keys. You could try ReactOS, I suppose, or research how Windows 7 does activation to see if it's possible to circumvent it.

I have a list of things I want to make once I have a functionimg computer and experience with C. A universal application manager is one of them.

Hey NERV Agent, why dont you get one of these and load it up with 128gb x 16 ddr4?
https://raptorcs.com/content/TL2WK2/intro.html

I would humblebrag on /g/ so much if I had that...

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2018-08-02 23:50:32 »
You could just use the latest Windows 10 build...?

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2018-08-03 03:38:42 »
Great thing about vms: really easy to have multiple images, only limit is hard drive space and getting activation keys. You could try ReactOS, I suppose, or research how Windows 7 does activation to see if it's possible to circumvent it.

I have a list of things I want to make once I have a functionimg computer and experience with C. A universal application manager is one of them.

Hey NERV Agent, why dont you get one of these and load it up with 128gb x 16 ddr4?
https://raptorcs.com/content/TL2WK2/intro.html

I would humblebrag on /g/ so much if I had that...

From what I've seen of ReactOS so far, it's a hot mess that can't even run Doom. Let's hope that changes in the future.

As for the Raptor Computing Systems price tag, this is an appropriate reaction.