Author Topic: Sound effects problems in ff7....  (Read 7839 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Sound effects problems in ff7....
« on: 2010-05-24 22:06:21 »
This problem has been killing me for ages...searched EVERYWHERE(by hand, not with a search bar) and came up only with the links down below.

Here is a topic that seems LARGELY related to my problem however..I feel they explained it improperly..refer below the links for my explanation.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9538.0

Also these topics adress the exact same problem...
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9660.0
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8790.0

This is really confusing me...This happens with an unpatched game...patched to 1.02...then patched with aalis...then with ff7music...
The only fmv noise I seem to be missing is in the two small explosion fmvs(as you blow your way into midgar from 1st reactor,and the one where cloud falls at second reactor.

Now other than that...there is much more missing.As stated in this thread and the other threads I have provided, there is no sound when in the cave like area before blowing your way iunto midgar streets from reactor 1(no music, dripping sfx, or anything at all until you meet aries... oon top of the first train and when barret pounds his fist inside,or when you get to the bar in midgar and you make him mad dowstairs and he punches the bag really fast...no sound effect there

Also as stated above there is no sound for the Airbuster Techno-Soldier or the helicoptr right before the 2nd reactor explosion.

Edit: Ok I unintentionally lied, FF7music does work, but the volume is so loud you can barely hear the stuff..Plus I dont like the music in there.
I know you can play mp3's, but what about minipsf files attatched to a psflib(these are the sound files from the original psx game I own.They sound BEAUTIFUL and I really wish I could get them ingame with ff7 music cause that would be the GREATEST!
« Last Edit: 2010-05-25 00:18:30 by jeffdamann »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Sound effects problems in ff7....
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-25 00:28:03 »
FF7music plays psf files just fine

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-25 01:43:58 »
Yes I just now realized that....The plugins in his pack are from winamp. I happened to have winamp and the psf plugin. When playing my psf files through winamp through stock settings, the music sounds awesome, but when using ff7music, it just screwed it ALL up. In Under the rotting pizza where it has an instrument that sounds like an old japanese string instrument kinda sound in ff7 music but sounds more like synth strings in winamp and on psx...

So I decided to use the output plugin with my winamp, out_ds.dll, the result was the same problem. Why in the WORLD is ff7music distorting the music? It also makes it miss a lot of reverb and echo effects and so forth and sounds that are bright and deeply environmental that are in the psx version(And the resulting psf files from it when played through winamp)But as soon as you attemp to play through ff7music, you can kiss your sound quality goodbye

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-25 02:03:25 »
Dont know what to tell you. FF7music is a very old mod, and it was a great endeavor at the time, but you will find that many people would agree that a better alternative would be great.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-25 05:22:52 »
Isn't there a way to make ff7music recieve and output the information in the same way as winamp does? I know nothing of that sort of programming, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard would it?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-25 05:40:47 »
Beats me

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-26 00:52:18 »
The plugins in his pack are from winamp.
What pack are you referring to? Titeguy's Remix pack, which has graphics and sound updates all over the place, my FF7Music bundle/tutorial, or another one?

Have you tried using an older/newer version of in_psf.dll? My bundle comes with the latest version of Highly Experimental, v2.09, which has worked great in my limited testing, but using a different version may be the solution you need. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get older versions; the official site only has the latest version.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-26 06:01:45 »
I have a 1.09 version, but they both play the same in winamp, and as far as not liking the music, it was the fan made soundtrack.

As far as my issues go, just do a little test like I do, disable sound for ff7music(make sure your using the psf files)and load a windowed game, go to an area playing a song like under the rotting pizza, or aeris theme that have a lot of effects in them.

Leave the game here and then open winamp and load your psf files into it(I use a different directory, cause I didnt want to see if any conflicts are caused by 2 programs running the psflib at the same time)and play the same file as is playing in-game. Listen with a musicians ear, and then pause and raise ff7musics volume.

The difference is tremendous, I wonder what is causing the conflict.Would it be more beneficial to output in DS than in wave?I think thats the difference needed because thats how winamp outputs isnt it?Winamp makes it sound AMAZING!

Get back to me...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-27 23:11:52 »
The output won't make a difference. out_ds.dll and out_wave.dll BOTH came from Winamp. They sound exactly the same as each other, the only real differences are under the hood, particularly for people who for one reason or another would prefer not to use directsound.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-28 01:54:17 »
Well did you do the little experiment I told you about?Am I the only one with distorted music?IDK winamp plays it FINE and ff7 ingame plays it HORRIBLE lol so, do you have any ideas?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-29 04:56:42 »
Just did this experiment, they sounded EXACTLY the same.

What you could do, is check the input plugin settings in FF7Music and make sure that nothing's screwed up. In particular, make sure Resample Output is unchecked, as I suspect that may be the problem.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-01 06:21:40 »
Maybe it's my pc, I will try what you said tomorrow, if it such a simple fix, I thank you and apologize for the trouble, it really does sound slightly distorted on mine tho....

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-01 11:32:45 »
Resample output is unchecked if you mean in the experimental plugin. I have no idea what the issue could be, I wish you could hear it on my end. The music sounds wonderful through winamp, and horrible in ff7.

It seems to be missing ALL effects,all sounds being very dull and boring, the highs don't stand out anymore either, any high instrument. sounds very muffled and deep in the background.

For example, the sound that sounds CLEARLY like a finger snap in the turks song normally now sounds like a pencil hitting a table.In corel desert prison, the snake sounding effect now sounds like horrible cowbell.
Its like that in all songs and is really killing my wonderful experience...I sometimes sit and listen to the music in winamp just so I can hear it correctly.Maybe I'll figure this out, thanks for trhe help.