Author Topic: I hate asking for help but....  (Read 2764 times)

cloudhaacker

• View Profile
I hate asking for help but....
« on: 2019-05-27 23:36:11 »
Hi guys, I've been using this mod for years - it's always worked great and I love it. Last time I worked on it was when the Remako beta came out, and it was working great then. I'm no stranger to making this work. I usually get it all set up, and then zip my game and the mod install so it's ready to go when I am. I also have a clean install zipped in case I have to reinstall everything. I have all the mods zipped separately for fast installation. BTW, since load order is so important you can actually rename the mods with #'s in the front of the first 5-6 , then let the alphabetical take over. Anyway, I decided I was going to try the Echo-S mod & also update Remako to the version they've released. With Echo-S I was getting crashes and the game wouldn't start. I kept messing with stuff, even tried installing the newer version of The Reunion Because & Menu Overhaul mod, and followed an instruction for getting it to kinda work with the remako beta mod. Kinda had it working but preferred all my mods from 7th Heaven so wanted to go back to it. But it wouldn't start if I had the Menu Overhaul from the catalog activated - which never happened before. Then I started having issues with the Tweaks and Cheats config, if I had the skip cutscenes and sync Barret Opening checked the game wouldn't load. Now I can't get any of it to work. I have uninstalled, restored my premodded version, my fresh version, tried to remod it, ran the keys cleaner, CCleaner. I've tried using the different .exe files depending on what mods I had selected. Everytime now is just a fatal error - I'll post the screenshot of it. I don't know what's happened, but I miss my mods!! If anyone can shed some light on my issue, I would sure appreciate it!  https://imgur.com/tLadMsc

cloudhaacker

• View Profile
Re: I hate asking for help but....
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-28 05:16:59 »
I can say that I once more started over, redownloaded each mod and then tested each one. The mods I'm still having issues with are as follows:

Field Models Objects - Selecting Animations - 60 FPS Battles
Game won't start

Field Models Main Characters - Cloud - Selecting whtRaven
Sword doesn't appear on Clouds back anymore

Gameplay Tweaks & Cheats - Skip Cutscenes
Game doesn't load at all, the little black screen pops up in the left for a second then closes, no error

Menu Avatars & Backdrops - Set them all to Milo Leonhart but they're not displaying in game

The Reunion Beacause and Menu Overhaul - Menu Overhaul - Using ff7_mo.exe
I get the Oops! Something very bad happened error

I can live without the menu overhaul, although I'd like to try to use the Echo-S mod which needs it, but the Avatars and skip cutscenes and 60 fps battles and the sword on his back are all ones I would like to still have! Hopefully that helps narrow down my problem? lol

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-28 06:00:10 »
Have you tried running the game converter? Your post doesn't mention doing this.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-28 12:45:50 »
Ya... you cleaned your keys (and then some).  Definitely need to start by re-running the converter.

cloudhaacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-28 13:49:37 »
Oh yes, every time i try again its the first thing i do, run the converter, check my sound & midi, no to the laptop patch (I'm on a laptop, but have a numpad). And the converter is on a clean install, I've run the converter uninstall & I've overwrote as well. The only problem I usually have when unzipping is I have to rerun the converter and do the sound check again, and everything used to work fine. Now....no go....

cloudhaacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-28 22:40:29 »
Okay, another update: after some more looking around and messing with stuff, I realized I can't have an updated Cloud Field Model and Dynamic Weapons, so I fixed that - not a make or break I guess lol. I got the skip cutscenes to work once, then after a close and reopen the game it's back to not loading when skip cutscenes is checked. I realized that mod compatibility issues don't show when I rename mods lol so no more doing that. So I'm going to try once more to purge everything and reinstall, checking 1 at a time. After uninstalling and running the keys cleanup and ccleaner, is there anything else anywhere I need to clean? One thing was I didn't know about the folder in appdata, and mine was "compressed" because windows keeps doing that to me and I uncompressed it, that was the 1 time the skip cutscenes worked. So I want to start fresh one more time - I just want to make absolutely sure that I start as fresh as I can!! Thanks again for any help guys - this is my favorite FF game, and I love showing it off - so I'm sad! I can always play my original ps1 version even - but love it this way!

cloudhaacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-31 19:49:30 »
So I have figured out my problem. I'm going to start a new topic about it to help anyone else in that situation. My problem ended up being Windows Data Execution Prevention (D.E.P.) was shutting things down when certain mods were active. I had finally given up on working on this for a while, and was messing with getting some of my other games installed and Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't start either, and after a few hours digging into that, someone recommended checking Windows Event Log, and I found the error there, googled it and found out it was related to D.E.P., shut it off, and bam the game worked, so I thought, I wonder if that could have been FF7 problem, and sure enough! Now Ive got everything working and even added in the updated Remako mod and the Echo-S Demo, and everything seems to be working! (Granted, I'm at work and am remote controlling my pc at home to check but other than not knowing if the audio is working the game booted and I was able to play for a few minutes. I wonder if D.E.P. got an update or something? This was working fine a few months ago. So could a mod mark this as solved for me? Thanks!