Final Fantasy 9 > Support

[FF9 PC] Re-mastered music

(1/5) > >>

NetHead:
Hello fellow modders and maestros,

With the announcement of FF9 PC and Smartphone, I'm thinking we should start a project to update FF9's tracks. I'm down to do some of 'em. I'm hoping the more programmatically-talented among us will eventually find a way to replace the port's audio files.

(I'm also assuming that Square-Enix is using the original tracks.)

Covarr:
This might be a bit premature, since we don't know how the port is going to be handled. There is a strong chance that it will be emulated, in which case streaming music will be impossible without significant hacking.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but I'm fairly certain they don't have the original source code they'd need to do a proper port.

NetHead:
Yes. Also consider we won't have MIDIs for reference, which means we may have to rely on good ol' ear training. And many of the tracks sound quite fine already. Time will tell... Keeping my hopes up for a solid port!

Fischkopf:

--- Quote from: NetHead on 2016-01-01 02:22:21 ---Yes. Also consider we won't have MIDIs for reference, which means we may have to rely on good ol' ear training. And many of the tracks sound quite fine already. Time will tell... Keeping my hopes up for a solid port!

--- End quote ---

We don't have the MIDIs? As far as I know, FF IX uses the same format for it's music as the previous two games, which is the Playstation-native "psf" format. It's basically MIDI data+samples, you can get the whole soundtrack in it's native format from here which can be converted to .mid files using VGMTrans.

NetHead:
@Fisch,

Oh, brilliant! It's been a while since I've kept up with PSF developments. Figured that the nature of PSF meant that any utility would be game-specific and specialized. That's a nice surprise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version