Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704385 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #650 on: 2009-12-19 23:59:19 »
I've had some similar problems, creating green materia that don't grant spells until the second level - an attack ID is always listed at the first level, even if I try and erase it.

Anyway, for the time being, you might want to just replace the weapon descriptions with spaces, and make the materia point to spells that can't be chosen (atk ID 123 does just fine).

AngeBleu

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 2009-12-21 01:20:02 »
how does work "CharacterGrowth" ?
what does it serve ?

thanks in advance.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #652 on: 2009-12-21 21:49:37 »
So I'm using Wallmarket to edit the Kernel.bin file and I seem to have added too much to it.  Crashes the game when I run it, you know.  Added too many weapon descriptions I think.  Well, I've tried to go in and edit out the weapon descriptions, but it won't work for a lot of them.  I double click the weapon's name, erase the entirety of its description, and when I click okay it doesn't actually delete the description?  Even pressing 'Apply' beforehand does nothing, it'll flash for a split second and the text will come back.

And I can't edit the spells out on certain magic materia (in the materia type modifier).  I was trying to take spells out of one materia (poison), but it won't delete the numbers.  I can change it to something else and it'll stick, but deleting the value just reverses when I select something else and go back to it.

I'm not quite sure if it's a program bug or if it's something I've done?  I mean, maybe it's something to do with some variable that controls how many spells it's supposed to have, and you can add spells to it... but it isn't lowering that variable when you delete it?

Or maybe it's me, I don't know.

This was a pointer problem in WM. I fixed it and will likely upload it tomorrow after I check something else.

Bobeert

« Reply #653 on: 2009-12-23 04:05:01 »
Ah, alright, cool.  I was able to get around the weapon description thing by taking the original file's text part I'd made and overwriting mine with it.  Part 13 I believe.  Seems to have fixed the crashing.

And good to know you figured it out!  It's a great program and I really enjoy using it.  Cheers!

kotor89

« Reply #654 on: 2010-02-26 11:58:16 »
I have a problem here:
It seems like I can change the properties of Vincents and Tifas Limit attacks, but I can't change any other limit moves!
e.g Omnislash has all options greyed out, I cant select anything, same goes for the other (RED BOX) moves.
How is that? Any Solution?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #655 on: 2010-02-26 13:00:22 »
I have a problem here:
It seems like I can change the properties of Vincents and Tifas Limit attacks, but I can't change any other limit moves!
e.g Omnislash has all options greyed out, I cant select anything, same goes for the other (RED BOX) moves.
How is that? Any Solution?

The solution is to read the documentation. You can't edit those because they're not in the KERNEL.BIN.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #656 on: 2010-02-26 15:01:59 »
Yeah. You have to modify the FF7.exe / LIMITMENU.MNU file to change those. KudistosMegistos posted the data you needed to alter, and the location of the data in the PC's FF7.exe, at http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7928.msg95559#msg95559. Make sense of that data using the wiki's attack data page, which is right here: http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Attack_data.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #657 on: 2010-03-04 17:39:50 »
A few minuscule new features have been added to make the process easier to use. For example, using the current version of PrC, try making an attack with an index of 8000h and then searching for unused indexes. Go make a sandwich and come back and see if anything has happened. Maybe it has, but your screen ought to be covered with a single box that looks like it has no end. With the change I recently made that box will never be that large. It will display ranges of empty values rather than listing them 1-by-1. So instead of it saying "0100h, 0101h, 0102h," like it does now, it'll say "0101h - 0102h". Which comes in handy when there's a large range of values that are blank, say "03E2h - 7FFFh" :).

As for string editing in AI, I really haven't addressed that yet. There are so many things that could go wrong with editing AI as it is. I DID, however, add a cancel button to the AI editing. If you make a change that you don't like you can cancel and re-open the window to start editing from the base again.

Good news.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 2010-03-05 15:13:22 »
Hello, people. I need to ask a question that really bothers me and I'm losing ideas very fast.

The thing is, that, I deleted Vincent's Death Penalty weapon to release space in the Kernel.bin. I wasn't going to use Vincent at all.
But, now I want him in my party again, and when I tried to return the values in, WallMarket shows me an error message saying that an arithmetic function caused a leak- or something like that. What I'm trying to do is set the Shift sound to F9 as it's supposed to be, but everytime that error message comes and then it sets it to FF.
Also, when I switch weapon, Death Penalty's Weapon target section gets messed up...

I'm really starting to fear I've messed up something really badly.
Anyway, is that a problem in WallMarket or in me, and is there any way to fix this problem?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #659 on: 2010-03-05 19:14:16 »
Hello, people. I need to ask a question that really bothers me and I'm losing ideas very fast.

The thing is, that, I deleted Vincent's Death Penalty weapon to release space in the Kernel.bin. I wasn't going to use Vincent at all.
But, now I want him in my party again, and when I tried to return the values in, WallMarket shows me an error message saying that an arithmetic function caused a leak- or something like that. What I'm trying to do is set the Shift sound to F9 as it's supposed to be, but everytime that error message comes and then it sets it to FF.
Also, when I switch weapon, Death Penalty's Weapon target section gets messed up...

I'm really starting to fear I've messed up something really badly.
Anyway, is that a problem in WallMarket or in me, and is there any way to fix this problem?

The fix is to restore a backup and be patient. The sound shift thing is a known error and version 1.4 will have this issue fixed. It's the only thing that doesn't work right. For now, just edit the data manually by double-clicking on the weapon name in the list to the left. Use this as a guide for what bytes to modify.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #660 on: 2010-03-05 19:39:30 »
Backup, backup, backup. Modding, I always keep multiple backups of my files and ISOs. In my case, I actually have 'snapshots' of certain stages in development, so I can, say, bring out a KERNEL.BIN from a couple of weeks ago, working alongside a SCENE and a certain level file from three weeks before that, etc. etc. - but that's because I'm developing a mod. Nevertheless, the basic principle holds true: don't run the risk of crippling the only ISO you've got, especially if your disks aren't conveniently at hand.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 2010-03-05 21:02:31 »
For now, just edit the data manually by double-clicking on the weapon name in the list to the left.

Wow, I never knew one could do that with Wall Market; it's a nice feature, since I sometimes like modding things the old fashioned way. ;D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #662 on: 2010-03-06 02:06:37 »
For now, just edit the data manually by double-clicking on the weapon name in the list to the left.

Wow, I never knew one could do that with Wall Market; it's a nice feature, since I sometimes like modding things the old fashioned way. ;D

Yes you did. ;) I could have sworn there was another post like that, but it doesn't look like it's in the WallMarket or Proud Clod topic.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 2010-03-06 08:59:03 »

Yes you did. ;) I could have sworn there was another post like that, but it doesn't look like it's in the WallMarket or Proud Clod topic.

Did I? Hmph, I must have known at one point and then ceased to know ;D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #664 on: 2010-03-25 19:31:46 »
New version, Check it out!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 2010-03-25 21:40:18 »
Thanks for the new version NFITC1, Also i just read on your blog (i know its a older post but still thought you might be interested) you where trying to make the program less KB and i might be able to help make it alot smaller if you want it smaller.
(And when i mean smaller i mean i can make wallmarket.exe 233kb)
EDIT:- I have been looking at this some more and it looks like it may even be possible to embed the DLLs for "Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" so that the program can run without "Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" being installed.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-25 22:44:14 by kranmer »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #666 on: 2010-03-26 15:26:08 »
Thanks for the new version NFITC1, Also i just read on your blog (i know its a older post but still thought you might be interested) you where trying to make the program less KB and i might be able to help make it alot smaller if you want it smaller.
(And when i mean smaller i mean i can make wallmarket.exe 233kb)

I'm familiar with things like this. UPX being the one I've used although I believe the version I have is optimized for DOS programs. I don't care about compression making the thing smaller. That's not my goal. I want to remove a lot of debug info in the executable. I know there's a lot of extraneous code in it that handles errors like that and I want the compiler to not put that in.

EDIT:- I have been looking at this some more and it looks like it may even be possible to embed the DLLs for "Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" so that the program can run without "Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" being installed.

I would really like that. WM is only using one class in it and only for that graph. I'm surprised that it takes another set of things to do lines in .NET. It was native in VB6. Oh well. If you know how to do that please share!

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 2010-03-26 16:05:26 »
Great job as usual NFIT.

Is it possible to make the next version (if you make it) give more options for customizing materia?

i'd like to see a tab that let's you edit the values for what peice of materia holds what abilities.

If the current version can already do that, then i guess i'm just to dumb to figure out how.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 2010-03-26 16:30:42 »

I would really like that. WM is only using one class in it and only for that graph. I'm surprised that it takes another set of things to do lines in .NET. It was native in VB6. Oh well. If you know how to do that please share!

Well to embed the DLL you first need "ILMerge" (which is a free program from microsoft) then you can either find a GUI or use the command line to embed the DLL into the EXE,

Then basicly what you do is this,
1st - put "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll" into the same folder as WallMarket (this DLL should be in a sub folder in your WINDOWS folder and this is also the only DLL needed by WallMarket)
2nd - Run "ILMerge" and merge "WallMarket.exe" and "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll"
3rd - Now you should have a new EXE file just under 1MB, This EXE no longer needs "Microsoft VisualBasic PowerPacks" to be installed to work.

here is an example
http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjyizzwvjm
In the above example i have put 2 versions, one is uncompressed and done the exact way above,
The second is the uncompressed EXE packed with a zip compression EXE Packer.

Also ILMerge can also be used when compiling so that you dont have to do it this way
http://blog.tjitjing.com/index.php/2009/03/merge-multiple-exe-and-dll-into-one-single-file-in-net.html

EDIT- also if you just want to you can always just put "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll" into the same folder as WallMarket and this also makes it so you no longer need to install Microsoft VisualBasic PowerPacks (what i mean is you dont have to merge it into the EXE just being in the same folder is enough)
« Last Edit: 2010-03-26 18:02:48 by kranmer »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #669 on: 2010-03-26 20:08:33 »
Christ. All this tech talk makes my app look like a piece of crap, doesn't it?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 2010-03-27 01:26:34 »
Christ. All this tech talk makes my app look like a piece of crap, doesn't it?
Yes.  Yes it does.
But we're happy to have it anyways 8)

Kuroda Masahiro

• Stopped modding FF7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 2010-03-29 18:14:46 »
Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but is it at all possible to have a drop down list for the materia slot instead of having to click until you find the one you want?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #672 on: 2010-03-29 18:37:42 »
How would that be more convenient, though?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 2010-03-29 19:03:25 »
It would save time having to click, wait, click, wait, click, wait, click *crap!! I clicked one too many times, I'll have to click another four to get back to the one I want, sigh* click, wait...

I don't mind though, that's just happened to me a few times.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #674 on: 2010-03-29 19:32:31 »
Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but is it at all possible to have a drop down list for the materia slot instead of having to click until you find the one you want?

Hmm. I suppose it's possible. It wouldn't be a traditional drop-down, but I bet I can make it work. I'll add that to the list of "see if I can get to work". :)