Author Topic: What are the grunts?  (Read 17561 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
What are the grunts?
« on: 2009-09-24 18:02:08 »
Guys help me out with this... i'm trying to figure out what the grunt enemies are in FF7. You know the ones you fight in the bombing mission - blue guys that use beam cannon or particle beam or something like that.

ne ideas other than guys in blue spandex with claws n a gas mask?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: What are the grunts?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-24 18:52:40 »
because if i model one i'd like to know what i'm making other than just following a very vague humanoid shape

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-24 19:05:27 »
They seem to be what the Shinra guards in red coats and Russian style hats turn into when they fight :|

I don't think there's ever really an explanation as to what they are; in fact, there isn't much of an explanation at all about most of the random enemies (as is the case with the majority of RPGs).

Seeing as they are the battle form of the guards, it's probably best to treat them as actual humans standing in a weird position.

Does anything like the grunts ever appear in Crisis Core? I haven't played it for a while, so my memory of most of the enemies is a little hazy. If there are monsters like that in CC, it would probably be best to base your model on them and use slightly stronger colours.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-24 19:07:05 »
nop... the real confusing point is that these guys have claws on their feet and guns o.o

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-09-24 19:10:26 »
I always assumed they were overly makou treated humans. They're more like humanoid monsters than beast-like humans.

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-25 10:19:36 »
I thought they were some kind of attack robot for shinra

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-25 23:20:52 »
I thought they were some kind of attack robot for shinra

Yeah, I'd go for attack robot as well

They seem to be what the Shinra guards in red coats and Russian style hats turn into when they fight :|

Strange  :-o

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-26 10:26:03 »
As with most things in Steampunk/Cyberpunk/fantasy type games/movies/books, most likely Robots.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-09-26 15:20:55 »
wallmarket sense in game and use it, i think they sense tells you name, But i can't remember (i know scan does in every other game)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-09-26 16:14:37 »
They're called grunts lol, and unlike ff8 it doesnt tell you their life story.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-26 17:33:39 »
They actully look alot like Deepground Soldiers to me. After I played DoC thats what I called them.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-30 22:42:02 »
well, if your making a new model you could always model a more human looking soldier and scrap the original design.  I know they have a beam attack, so you could just add a gun to your model.  Just a suggestion because i have no idea what those things are. 

Maybe it's what a smurf turns into once he grows up and becomes a blood-thristy killing machine(we all know it's true)?

lee

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-09-30 23:53:10 »
well, if your making a new model you could always model a more human looking soldier and scrap the original design.  I know they have a beam attack, so you could just add a gun to your model.

Something like that's probably the best way to go. I think a gun-arm is a winning design feature for Grunts. The Senior Grunts have em.

chocofeather

« Reply #13 on: 2009-10-01 01:34:05 »
Well all I know is they ain't called grunts, not that it makes a huge difference as they are called combatants.

>

Mighty Grunt >強化戦闘員 > Reinforced Combatant
----

As for what they are, no clue.  Just a design by Nomura most likely.  Soldiers inside an armour.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-10-01 02:06:01 »
Soldiers inside an armour.

This is my best guess too.  Minus the "u"  :-P

chocofeather

« Reply #15 on: 2009-10-01 03:26:10 »

This is my best guess too.  Minus the "u"  :-P

:P humbug

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-10-01 09:39:10 »
maybe the hand layzarz are teh uber heavy and there trying to manual handel them correctly  cause thats what people look like trying to life a box thats too heavy for them

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-10-07 14:56:24 »

thats my guess also, but im gonna add the 'u' back in  :wink:

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-10-11 23:29:47 »

Armour is spelt with a 'u' just so you know, that's the proper English spelling, not the American English version  :roll:

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-10-12 03:03:26 »
maybe the hand layzarz are teh uber heavy and there trying to manual handel them correctly  cause thats what people look like trying to life a box thats too heavy for them

grammar + punctuation?
Why do you guys try to write your storylife in a single line?

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-10-12 04:05:31 »

grammar + punctuation?
Why do you guys try to write your storylife in a single line?

What are you, a grammar teacher or what? And it should be life's story not storylife.

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-10-12 04:15:37 »
Well, even so English is not my native language, it annoys me to read through these type of posts. And I always think to myself, if annoys me, that I'm not a native english speaker, how must native english speakers feel when reading through these?

Also... on a side note:

• Get to know things called 'grammar', 'punctuation' and 'capitalization'.

They are very helpful when it comes to writing text that even other people understand. Yes, I can hear your little keys clicking, typing "but they understand just fine if i type like this all the time lol what is wrong with you lol". No doubt they do, because they most likely are way smarter than you. You, however, are not in position to expect that others do your work for you.

Typing with care is not only about producing text that can be understood without taking time to guess if the "author" meant that you are a hairy assed monkey or you have hairy assed monkey (you're vs your), it's also about showing certain degree of respect towards the people who read your texts.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-12 04:19:14 by LeeHiOoO »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: 2009-10-17 17:18:54 »
nop... the real confusing point is that these guys have claws on their feet and guns o.o

Couldn't they be gadgets?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 2009-10-20 06:51:28 »
I always took the field models as my guide, and just assumed they were Shinra guards inside masks, with arm-mounted particle guns.