Author Topic: What has halkun been doing lately...  (Read 4339 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
What has halkun been doing lately...
« on: 2012-03-24 19:52:20 »
Oh, this and that... Hawking the wiki... and doing things with ponies :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4PM3K6eyQ

Mewsin (aka Zendar)

• i share everything i make (the Answer is yes)
    • View Profile
Re: What has halkun been doing lately...
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-25 05:39:07 »
OMG that enterprise model was you   ;D
i was one of the first 1 mil views that night

but yeah you make perfect sense on all points
but to comment on more then 1 hour of interview would take
me over 20 min of writing a post

to give my comment shorty

yes,you're right,made me lol,oh realy?,thank you for that piece of info,
OMG can it be more complicated to hold and work with IP,
Hmmm.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-25 17:13:43 »
lol, what is wrong with this forum and ponies :o

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-25 18:22:35 »
« Last Edit: 2012-03-25 18:24:07 by PitBrat »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-31 18:00:01 »
So... no Pineapple Chronicle?
I will still play that if it's ever made.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-01 16:43:52 »
So the first pony big pony picture that comes up after the discussion begins is halkun? (wings and a robe hmmm interesting).

As for cross cultural marketing.
History:
It's actually rather amusing that GM was one of the first BIG looser on this type of thing (no surprise).
The Chevy NOVA is a classic epic fail when it came to marketing. It wasn't in the US that it failed (obviously) but in central and South America. The word 'NO vuh" there in slang means "broken" or "doesn't work". Needless to say that meant they couldn't sell the car with that name (but they tried to, despite that).

So this kind of thing although weird sounding is rather important because, well you might know your product but you don't know how other cultures will perceive something.

halkun explain to these gents what the Japanese phrase equivalent for the English word "EXIT" in direct translation means, and I believe the idea of some of the oddness that can occur will be obvious. Many languages do not have direct and indirect articles for example ("the" and "a" have no existing usage in many languages). So when you read some translations from traditional Chinese into English you will notice that many 'the' and 'a' words are missing.  Just one such example of the difficulty of culture and language when trying to sell anything.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2012-04-03 06:58:46 »
So... no Pineapple Chronicle?
I will still play that if it's ever made.

big ambitions, small skills. It's still a cool idea though.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-04-05 00:31:45 »
big ambitions, small skills. It's still a cool idea though.
Well let me ask you this question, you wrote the PSX document eons ago and did lots of 'stuff' about the PSX.
Granted you probably had TIME then, however that's not what I'm pointing out, skills are acquirable, granted they take time.
That document was 'no small feat' in my view.
If you want to do it, I suggest starting with 'parts' IE small parts. The old saying "to climb a mountain one must make a single step", and the road to inspiration is to start. Start small.

I started the same project about 8 times and finally finished it a few years back. So ... start small and keep trying.

Cyb

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-04-14 19:42:57 »
Also agree with most of what was said during this very enjoyable interview.

The only thing I can honestly take issue with is the 'white knuckle' IP approach. More and more publishers and developers are selling these precious 'IP's' to other companies or smaller publishers for a quick buck.

I believe we are in the midst of a huge shift in the industry as a whole! (Music, Movies, Games, ect.) Where the corporate model just plain doesn't work! Who needs a music label when, you as a individual have soo many online alternatives to making more money then you could ever make under a label. Same apply's to books and ebooks.

(Corporations still make boatloads of money)

But never before has the person with a vision have so many options for his/her ideas. The OLD corporate model (that you are taking about) is rapidly failing. Having a hard time even producing some profit. (in any industry besides a few select retail outlets)

I mean, what is the point or purpose of a publisher at this point? What is the point of corporations at all? If you have a great idea (Lets say anime) do it! Sidestep those guys and upload your anime on one of thousands of outlets. If its good you will become more famous as an individual and probably have more money to boot.

Also, Japanese communication breakdown is probably the most prevalent out of any culture ever. But not with its own culture. But with other cultures. Let me explain, Ubisoft makes a title and it sells great in all territories including japan. However, every single game I can think of with heavy Japanese development has completely and utterly failed around the world. They are only in-touch with there core Japanese audience. Failing to evolve as a whole I think has put them in this position. Or failure to communicate in general with there international audience has lead to this.

I'd say the Western culture has a better adaptive approach and changes based on its consumers needs. As Japanese consumers are just loyal, having nothing really to do with communication within the corporation itself.  Famitsu is one example, often rating games very highly before they even play them.