Author Topic: Engine building. If we make it, will they come?  (Read 39920 times)

Cyberman

• View Profile
Engine building. If we make it, will they come?
« Reply #25 on: 2005-01-15 21:14:34 »
Now that I killed Mozilla for firefox, all I can say is WOW it's SO much faster and better.

Now a lot of discussion here. Perhaps IRC is best for everyone? I need to get wine working on my box because my IRC client uses it.

Halkun - I'm pretty sure if they used C++ they didn't use many objects.  Why do I say this? Or how could I say this? None of the bios level functions lend to C++ encapsulation. Sure the compilor might be C++ compatible but you can still use the entire C library of functions from within C++.  More importantly because it's a limitied platform, the problem with C++ is it's not memory conservation freindly ESPECIALY when you hit inhieratance and overiding functions of prior defined objects.

As for using OOP for dog barking well I would do something like this
Code: [Select]

class doggie
{
 private:
  int MyBarkCount;
 public:
  doggie() { MyBarkCount = 0; }
  void Bark(void) { MyBarkCount++;}// bark once
  void Bark(int Count) { MyBarkCount+=Count; }
};

// usage
// Dog.Bark();
// Dog.Bark(5);

I've never heard of C++ as strongly typed. I've heard it as 'Strictly Typed' :)

As for files you can use <stdio.h> just fine. It depends on how fancy/portable you want to be.  Using fstream has low overhead and works quite well for me. As matter of fact TV uses fstream.  It might be advantageous to use streams instead of normal files.  However that can be done later in a refinement phase.  Since we are probably going to be going toward a Kernel based system the Kernal code hands file access and streaming for everything else. So this makes it a lot more generic.

L. Spiro - I started my data gathering for FF7 about 2 years ago. I guess I'm just slow. ;)
Your engine is based for the PC version of FF7 right?  Windows based software I assume as well.  There are a few things one will need to do to get toward a more generic system with such code. However I don't think it's too big of a deal. Having had to read other peoples source code and knowing a bit about what's going on makes a big difference. All of my work has been done on the PSX version although I do have the PC version of FF7 it's just not as stable or fun to play as the PSX version too me :D

As far as 'global meeting' thing. I can pop on IRC or I can use MSN mess I prefer Yahoo's IM myself.  Let me know what you people want to attempt.  I'm flexible if I know in advance.  I'm quite time zone concious. Halkun I believe is in my TZ (GM-6) Qhimm L. Spiro GM+9 right? Most others are GM or GM+1?

Cyb

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005-01-16 02:40:17 »
Quote from: L. Spiro
P. S.:  I am testing the remake now but it will not work for me.
I open remake_config.exe to be greeted by the following message:
Access violation at address 004768F4 in module 'remake_config.exe'. Read of address 00000000.
After this, all of the text boxes are empty, devoid of all options, except a few, and I am not able to select any languages, so it will not allow me to save my changes.

I get the same thing but first I get another error saying:
Runtime Error 217 at 00013E20

Shame, it would've been pretty cool seeing a release of the remake. I didn't get that error at first either, just when I moved it into my Final Fantasy directory to see if fixed the original error...... just reinstalled the remake and I don't get that error........ wierd, still get:

"Access violation at address 004768F4 in module 'remake_config.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

though

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 2005-01-16 03:28:48 »
Hmm. Interesting. Seems that error can be caused because the EXE's are compressed ... although it's a bit bizarre, I always compress my EXE's and it doesn't usually happen.

If you download UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net/ then you can decompress the config tool with it ... or just edit the INI manually. Now I'll just have to work out why the config program doesn't like being compressed when nothing else cares... ;)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #28 on: 2005-01-16 03:41:46 »
Well if we're going IRC there's already the #qhimm.com channel on irc.esper.net... I don't know what further things we could do with improved access to the server itself, it seems that all we want to do is discuss and log anyway? That having been said, I remember something from last time we were having this discussion that halkun were the one with the most trouble connecting to the various places, so I guess his voice will carry the most weight this time on the decision.

ficedula: That compression tool seems kinda cool, does it handle DLLs and exported functions transparently too?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 2005-01-16 11:22:22 »
Qhimm: Yep, it handles everything transparently, more or less. Of course, obviously something screwed up this time, but it's the first time I've seen that happen ... all the downloads on my site are compressed with UPX.

(We use it at work, too - the main application is 14MB(!) compiled, and ZIP/RAR can only get it down to 5MB - UPX compresses it to 3.5MB with the added bonus that of course, it can just be run without unzipping first...)

I'll drop into the espernet channel today and see who's around. You've all got my contact details otherwise...

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #30 on: 2005-01-17 14:34:36 »
Well, I'm lost in all those engines here...  :o

However, if you're going to build up a programmer team - you can count on me, too. I've got my exams in 3 weeks, but after that I'll have a lot of free time - so much time for programming. I'll continue reading the following posts (but I think I won't post much...) and I'll try to keep myself up-to-date.

As for halkun's question:
Sourceforge: If we're going to make an open-source egine, then this will be the best solution, I think.

CVS: Yes.

Almighty_gir (respresenting for that "Creating own models" thingy):
We first should build a "naked" engine, which will need ALL of FF's game files to run, and will use just the original content.
But, I think it would be a nice idea, to let (when the engine reaches its first *final release*) the user decide (during installation or at the config menu) to use the original FF models or self-made (!) high-quality models.

As for the engine name: We should maybe think of a codename for the engine before thinking about its final name... maybe FinalFear or Jesse or whatever...

So, as I said in that other topic before:
Someone (maybe halkun) should make a little "diagram" of the engine framework, and which objects need to be created and what they have to do.
Once this is done, and we have a theoretical framework model for the engine, we can create a programmer team, and look who can program what, so (s)he can use his/her special skills.

Good luck. I hope this will be a successful project...

- Alhexx

- edit -
And I've got a question about the topic title?
Who will come???

J*** H*******

« Reply #31 on: 2005-01-17 15:03:07 »
Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #32 on: 2005-01-17 15:53:10 »
Whoa there, I'm still not convinced about the complete open source approach here... We need to be pretty sure what we're doing isn't legally offensive (new term I just invented meaning "will catch Square's evil eye") before we expose (i.e. globally distribute) source code largely based on reverse-engineering a copyrighted product. Are we that sure utilizing the original game data will prevent us from going the same way as Chrono Trigger: Resurrection? CT:R wasn't even built from the game data itself, and got shut down real quick once they got publicity. Are we planning to call this a mere "technical demonstration" or something, to keep us from ending up in the infringement pit?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005-01-17 16:55:51 »
Quote from: Qhimm
Whoa there, I'm still not convinced about the complete open source approach here... We need to be pretty sure what we're doing isn't legally offensive (new term I just invented meaning "will catch Square's evil eye") before we expose (i.e. globally distribute) source code largely based on reverse-engineering a copyrighted product. Are we that sure utilizing the original game data will prevent us from going the same way as Chrono Trigger: Resurrection? CT:R wasn't even built from the game data itself, and got shut down real quick once they got publicity. Are we planning to call this a mere "technical demonstration" or something, to keep us from ending up in the infringement pit?

As far as I know we are only runing SE's original content on it.  You'll have to specify where an infringment comes in?  Heck instead of FFEngine we could name it SF-Engine.  Some Fantasy Engine, just never mention Sqenixes trade marked names.  As for what to call it, engine that runs original content for some popular games. Shrug. That's what it's for.

Open source is a bit dangerous, creating a team is not.  I would consider keeping it closed and see if there are free CVS services that aren't open source only.

I don't mind open source, it's just that first there has to be something there that is carefully cleaned up to be open source.  Prior to alpha this means mostly messy code :)

Cyb

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005-01-17 18:52:19 »
By the way, if you're going to set up your own repository it may be worth evaluating Subversion. I used to use CVS at work and privately, but I changed to Subversion for private development.

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #35 on: 2005-01-18 00:59:05 »
My advice: Keep it quiet. CT:R was shut down extremely quickly once Square found out about it, and FF7 is - comparitively speaking - a much newer game than CT was, plus with Advent Children and the other spinoffs coming out, Square will likely be ever more anal about anyone using their intellectual property in whatever form.

So... keep it quiet and just beaver away at it in private :) And I'd be with Almighty_gir on this one, and offer to assist in a modelling capacity if/ when the time comes.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 2005-01-18 02:15:12 »
I like this discussion alot, and so I'll add my two cents in.

I really like the term "Naked Engine" as that discribes to a "t" what I'm looking for. Other concepts came up that I want to elaborate on.

One of the more misuderdstood aspects of Open Source isthat people use it to *respect* other ideas, not to steal them. (Much to the shagrin of what Microsoft and SCO might say otherwise). The fact of the matter is we do not wish to steal anything. However we come to the barrior that is "Intellectual Property" (IP)

Now I'm going to lay my personal opinions down on the whole subject, there is a point, but it's best I lay my cards down first.

I'm under the opinion that the concept of "owning thought" is Intellecually void. I personally think the words "Intellectual Property" was invented in order bend culture to give property rights to ideas. Property, I believe, are things you can possess. Like chairs, forks, land, a car, and the like. You can even possess thought.

The problem with possessing thought it you have to keep it in your brain. Once it comes out your mouth, (when it is expressed, if you will), you have pretty much gave it to someone else. Then comes the delmma. How can you say something was stolen when you were not devoid of that taken from you.

Trademarks, patents, and copyrights serve as a balance. They are also incredibly selfish. Don't worry though, it's a good thing in this case. Trademarks, (I named this), Copyrights, (I wrote this), and Patents(I built this.), ensure that the one who orignally came up with the idea doen't have to keep them in thier head. It's a layer of protection to make sure that the creator is the one properly reconized.

To go furthur I have to introduce a legal term, called a "Tort"

A "Tort" is a "Twisting" of the norm. (The word "Contort" comes from "tort") For example, I came up with an idea and expressed it. That is the norm. However, say I came up with an idea and someone overheard and expressed the same idea and said it was thiers. That's a "tort", or a twisting of "fairness" where I am harmed and the other has artifically gained.

Copyrights, patents, and trademarks protect against torts. There is a real reason for thier existance.

However, IP has been bent into something it's not, which is to say property. I understand what's yours is yours. Protected by copyright or what have you. But when I have recieved, for example, a game, and I decide to tinker with it, your idea is in my posession. I know it's your idea and I repect that you want to be the one who all fingers point to. However, I'm still going to rip the damn thing apart to see how it works.

Why? Not out of mallace, but out of awe. I get to see, just for a bit, what it must of been like to arcitecture something like that. You want us to see the cathedral, and I want to look into the walls and see the mice. That's just how I am. It's still yours, I know that. No tort has taken place. Especally when I do it all by myself in my little darkend cave.

The problem starts when expression starts to grow and it's not from the "original mind". This is where torts start to appear.

The 3D chono trigger was doomed at it outset. Why? Becuase, in the end, a question would be raised on who wrote it, who named it, and who expressed it. The 3D chono trigger fails many of these tests, reguardless of if they wanted money for their work or not.

Part 2, the Naked Engine
Square is not an engine maker, they are a game company.
On the same side of the coin, Honda isn't an engine maker, thay make cars.

Of course, both of these fail the logic test. They both *OF COURSE* make engines, and have to in order to make thier product. Square, however, is not reconized for thier engines, at least not on the same level as ID software is.

Engine building is an odd sort. It's mechanical with lots of pistons and cogs. They are rather unattractive, and it's not untill you place square's artwork into the mix does it become "Something square did"

Open source programmers tend to seperate "Art" from "Function" and tend to focus in "Function". It's intresting that when "Art" becomes involved, that's when you tend to see torts. It wasn't so much the engine in the 3D Chono Trigger that Square had a problem with....

It was expression of the art.

There is an art to engine building too. However, this art isn't visual, and if we use our own cogs and our own pistions would be *our* engine. A Naked engine, that when left in the wild, all by itself, would be useless.

Code: [Select]

C:\jessie.exe
JESSIE.EXE: No Media Found

You *NEED* Square's art, or make your own, but we arn't making a final fantasy were you get to revive Aries. That's why I oppose the idea of "hey, I can make new models for you.."

Models for what? For square's game? That's no better than making new content Ala the failed Chono Trigger experiment.

Now if you were to make your own end-to-end game set in space for example. I'm Sure square woudn't mind at all, reguardless of the engine.

You can't copyright *function*. You can patent it, and lucky for you guys in the EU, there is an explicit banning of software patents. Also, as far as I know, Square has no patents on thier engine in the U.S. Our expression of the engine is copyrighted, but fundementally differnt from Square's expression of it. The fuction is the same, but you can't copyright that.

Now I think I rambeled on enough. Keep in mind this is in no way legal advice, just on-the-table talk of how I see the world. Is this something I'm willing to go to court for (again?) well, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

What was I talking about again?

-Halkun

P.S. JESSIE == Jolly Enlightened Square Soft Interactive Engine. ^_^

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005-01-18 03:42:39 »
I think you had a few twinkies there Halkun :)

Anyhow onto the subject, IP was developed by lawyers for companies that wish to expand the enforcement of there rights.  These days the internet has made it easier for them to enforace there rights.  However it's a two edged sword.  the DMCA (which has many explitive laced varitatons) is not only anoying, it was invented by lawyers to give them something to do.  The idea of IP quite LITERRALLY comes from trial lawyers and has diddly to do with what they are actually trying to enforce. It's an intimidation word. IP came into being circa 1999 in a patent dispute between two well known companies.  Since it's coinage people like SCO have had expansivist ideas of 'protecting' things.
Software patents came about due to the US against called the NSA.  RSA encryption gave them a problem so instead of fixing the problem the turned to the patent office to save there diffcient thinking.  Now we all suffer from it world wide.  Sad isn't it?

JESSIE sounds Ok. SFE Some Fantasy Engine sounds OK too.  I suppose it could be also said a few other ways :)

Cyb

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #38 on: 2005-01-18 03:52:30 »
Quote from: halkun
There is an art to engine building too. However, this art isn't visual, and if we use our own cogs and our own pistions would be *our* engine. A Naked engine, that when left in the wild, all by itself, would be useless.

Our enginge... which we made very much by cracking open the original one and copying its function (while it's not a direct copy of the code, which would frag us under copyright any day, it will at places be a direct copy of the low-level functionality like battle mechanics or field script). We're not reproducing a copyrighted book here, but we're writing our own book with almost the exact same plot. I've seen people get sued for less, although I might wager a cent or two that "art" you mentioned might again have something to do with it... not for the legality, but for the readiness to sue.

You can't copyright *function*. You can patent it, and lucky for you guys in the EU, there is an explicit banning of software patents. Also, as far as I know, Square has no patents on thier engine in the U.S. Our expression of the engine is copyrighted, but fundementally differnt from Square's expression of it. The fuction is the same, but you can't copyright that.

Which is all well and good, except that we also have 30,000 granted software patents here. The only reason the software companies don't go on infringement spree is that the patents probably wouldn't hold up in a court (since the patent office is really breaking current regulations by granting patents on software processes). This could change very soon though, because all those big companies are lobbying politicians to revise the law, essentially explicitly allowing software patents and thus legitimizing all those patents already granted. There's already been some dirty doings in the politics of EU to try and sneak or push the new law proposal into effect, thus far fortunately they've been prevented though. Yeesh.

P.S. JESSIE == Jolly Enlightened Square Soft Interactive Engine. ^_^

Heh, stretching it a bit are we? ;) I actually started on a similar project quite long ago (basically FF7 + modern, non-crashing engine). I sort of abandoned it because I figured I'd never finish it on my own and wasn't sure what the legal status would be... *checks* and it was called "Tiphareth".

Ooh, ooh, let's get into a discussion on what the name should be, be unable to agree and have the entire project stall because of it! ^_^

EDIT: Just remembered another thing I wanted to toss into the discussion... what about the copy protection? By making a secondary engine to run the game, we have essentially circumvented the original copy protection scheme (even if we implement one in the new engine as well). Under the DMCA and other funny laws in various countries, this is quite a vulnerable spot for a project like this...

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #39 on: 2005-01-18 04:35:25 »
I’ve found that replacing critical words with “Something” works wonders.
Hence my project is “Something Something VII Online”.

L. Spiro

Locutus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005-01-18 12:49:17 »
About legal things.

I think that what square cares most  are money and  square's image.
So in building custom engine we must think that this engine should be used only  with oryginal, legal version of ff7. In ff7 there is only a cd check protection. So in my opinion our engine should have  cd check protection that would check if oryginal cd is in the drive.

I would'nt call engine as an engine but i would call it a "FF7 FRONTEND GRAPHIC INTERFACE" becouse it is using oryginal ff7 data - animation , story , graphic and only displays it with different way (different resolutions, different codecs, sound plugins)

New 3d models should be an option as ad in module (in this case cd check is   guaranting that user has got oryginal ff7 game and that Square earned money) models should be packed and protected so no one could extract them normaly and used in wrong way.
In creating new models we must think about Square's image. New models should be based on Squares concept art (can be found in net)  or ff7 AC  and should be of high quality. Of course models creators should state that they only created models and That Square has at least partialy rights to this models becouse of Squares ideas and concept arts.

While building this" engine" it is important to -

1 make sure that users have orygiinal ff7 so Square earned money
2 Make sure that story of ff7 is not altered in any way.
3 In creating graphic ensured that this graphic is of high quality  ant that it has the spirit of FF7 and this way it is not  altering Square's image as high quality games creators.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #41 on: 2005-01-18 13:01:04 »
The graphics will not be altered at all, and “in the spirit of” will do nothing to ease their tempers.

Chrono Trigger: Resurrection had fine graphics in the spirit of the original.
Yet graphics were 80% of why it got shut down, with story being the remaining.

If you change the graphics at all, then the better you make them, the worse it makes your situation.

The more professional they look, the more “threat” your product poses to their property.

L. Spiro

P. S.:  We have mentioned this many times.
It won’t be my project but they already stated, no new models.
No new art.
No new content.
You CAN’T create a legal product if you recreate their visuals.

This isn’t about remaking the game with flashy graphics.
This an engine that runs their existing content, possibly so far as to allow people to play through the game entirely on this engine, with the only additions being up-to-date code, higher resolutions, and faster framerates.

Locutus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005-01-18 18:37:34 »
Look if  graphic will not be altered then i see no point in creeating ff7 engine other that learning coding ( of course for people writing this engine)

I have geforce 4 and i can play ff7  with fsaa and only new engine will not make it better.

Any higher resolution or anything (without changing graphic, media content )will not make ff7 better. Why ? Becouse movies, backgrounds were created in shity 320x340 resolution and rising resolution even to 1280 x 1024 can't make it better.

And if you have problems with compatibility you can play ff7 on playstation or even on playstation emulator in 1280 x 1024 resolution.

I am sure that many ff7 fans will not be interested in engine without upgrading content at least i will not be interested. Since i have no programing skill so i will be not working on engine  - i only wanted to share my opinion.

This legal things are insane .  If you want to do something legaly then you can do nothing.
Square is to lazy to remake ff7, or it can see no profit in it.
And if you a  ff7 fan you can't remake ff7 for free becouse it is illegal . That is the world

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005-01-18 19:36:44 »
Quote from: Locutus
Look if  graphic will not be altered then i see no point in creeating ff7 engine other that learning coding ( of course for people writing this engine)

I might point out is your sole interest in the engine is different than others.  This is your perspective always keep in mind your perspective may not be shared by everyone.
I have geforce 4 and i can play ff7  with fsaa and only new engine will not make it better.
Mmmm better is highly subjective. I enjoy playing games that do not have cool graphics.  Perhaps we aren't interested in cool graphics?  I think the idea was running the content provided in a stable manner, with the way we want it to run.  New models etc. are additions to the basic work done.  I think you are putting De'Cart before De'Horse in this case.  It's something you can worry about once the content can be even run.
Any higher resolution or anything (without changing graphic, media content )will not make ff7 better. Why ? Becouse movies, backgrounds were created in shity 320x340 resolution and rising resolution even to 1280 x 1024 can't make it better.
First off it's actually 320x214 to be precise. Secondly you appear to be only interested in changing game esthetics which are actually the LAST part of developement. Again you are interested in something way way way down the road in possibilities.  I don't think you are interested in actually getting it to work.  That is actually the BIG challenge.
And if you have problems with compatibility you can play ff7 on playstation or even on playstation emulator in 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Whiich I do all the time.  What has this to do with the original idea?  It's not to play the game it's to be able to even run the game to begin with.  I think you are disolusioned about the purpose, most are intersted in learning how the engine works to begin with.  I love the game but the engine is pretty facinating too. :)
I am sure that many ff7 fans will not be interested in engine without upgrading content at least i will not be interested. Since i have no programing skill so i will be not working on engine  - i only wanted to share my opinion.
You are entitled to it, but I think you have recast Halkun's idea into what you want.  I'm sure other people want it, but to be honest it's probably not what the people working on it would want.  Does that make sense to you?  It has nothing to do with 'popularity', to be honest most people could care less about the project in the general population.  
This legal things are insane .  If you want to do something legaly then you can do nothing.
Square is to lazy to remake ff7, or it can see no profit in it.
And if you a  ff7 fan you can't remake ff7 for free becouse it is illegal . That is the world
It's always best to take yourself off there hit list first. Then you can work and acomplish something.  You can't finish what you never start, and you can't start tell you have a plan.  So this is called PLANING.  Sometimes things aren't practical.  Anything is possible just not practical.  Everyone has other projects and things they do to make a living as well.

Cyb

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005-01-18 21:53:46 »
You'd be better off decompiling it and updating it to take advantage of newer hardware etc that would be awsome i think. Course i know pulling that off succesfully wouldnt be easy.........

Locutus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005-01-18 22:10:24 »

I might point out is your sole interest in the engine is different than others.  This is your perspective always keep in mind your perspective may not be shared by everyone.

I never said that may point of view is shared by anyone . It is only MY point of view

Mmmm better is highly subjective. I enjoy playing games that do not have cool graphics.  Perhaps we aren't interested in cool graphics?  I think the idea was running the content provided in a stable manner, with the way we want it to run.  New models etc. are additions to the basic work done.  I think you are putting De'Cart before De'Horse in this case.  It's something you can worry about once the content can be even run.

I like games with outdated graphic if content is right, but Square made terrible work with ff7 and ff8 transfering it to pc almost exactly like they were on psx. In ff7 models have 1000-3000 polygons without almost no textures (there are few exceptions).
In ff8 models are only 1000 poly  with textures. Becouse of texture use and other things models have generaly less polygons then in ff7 and are blocky.Backgrounds in low resolutions. Only ff8 movies are good.
Square does not care about pc. Terrible ff7 translation into english.
Square should make ff7 and ff8 for pc first and then convert it to psx. Of course in Japan psx is more popular.
Square cares little about other markets then Japan. In Japan they will sell any game even without marketing and in high quantities.

And about models as addition - L .Sipro stated that this engine will newer has any (or hypoteticaly will never has) any new content becouse off legal issues.

First off it's actually 320x214 to be precise. Secondly you appear to be only interested in changing game esthetics which are actually the LAST part of developement. Again you are interested in something way way way down the road in possibilities.  I don't think you are interested in actually getting it to work.  That is actually the BIG challenge.

I had in mind resolution 320x240 (340 typo) .Movies are in 320 x 224 exactly.  I am not interested in getting it to work becouse for me ff7 works now (i know that it is selfish) , and knowing how this engine works is not important for me becouse i know too little about programing and has no practice and can't learn from this project . Of course i would like to help in programing engine but it would take too long for me to catch up with programing level of  many people on this board. So programing engine is not for me .

It's always best to take yourself off there hit list first. Then you can work and acomplish something.  You can't finish what you never start, and you can't start tell you have a plan.  So this is called PLANING.  Sometimes things aren't practical.  Anything is possible just not practical.  Everyone has other projects and things they do to make a living as well.
Cyb

Planing is important but i have seen people who were planing on such big scale that planing was more important than engine and they newer went beyond planing.

Of course everything above are only my opinions.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005-01-18 23:10:22 »
Quote from: Chesso
You'd be better off decompiling it and updating it to take advantage of newer hardware etc that would be awsome i think. Course i know pulling that off succesfully wouldnt be easy.........

Actually decompilation is a nontrivial task. I've done it when I had to convert an old controler based on a Z80 to a new system based on a PC104 module.  It took the better part of 5 weeks to convert 32K of ROM code it 53 C modules and 54 headers.  This was just decompilation working about 9 hours a day 5 days a week.  There is no way something as large as FF7 would be as easy as that.  Decompiling also hits on an ethics problem.  DMCA essentially torpedo's this idea.
Remake actually worked somewhat.  We know something about the original content (browse this forum).  We also know something about the scripting engine etc.  I believe it will take less time than attempting to decipher there original code. This is because we create the specs from the presented data, more importantly this is not Reverse engineering and doesn't consist of 'stealing there code' which is copyrighted.

I like games with outdated graphic if content is right, but Square made terrible work with ff7 and ff8 transfering it to pc almost exactly like they were on psx. In ff7 models have 1000-3000 polygons without almost no textures (there are few exceptions).
In ff8 models are only 1000 poly with textures. Becouse of texture use and other things models have generaly less polygons then in ff7 and are blocky.Backgrounds in low resolutions. Only ff8 movies are good.
Square does not care about pc. Terrible ff7 translation into english.
Square should make ff7 and ff8 for pc first and then convert it to psx. Of course in Japan psx is more popular.
Square cares little about other markets then Japan. In Japan they will sell any game even without marketing and in high quantities.

1) Square soft did not port FF7 OR FF8 to the PC  and yes FF7 was a really nasty port :)
2) Translation to English was actually fairly good.  It's hard to translate between langauges especially expressions, gestures even are a problem.
3) Starting with the PC first and porting to the PSX can have mixed results.  It's better to leave things open for later porting than code for one platform and then attempt to port to another.  It's a difficult situations irreguardless to make the game that way.
4) I know a LOT about the FF7 model information there polycounts I suppose I could give you exactly if I took the time to gather statics from them.  I could also give animation count texture size (if any) etc.  Been playing with them for well over a year now (scarey now that I think about it).
5) FF8 has several different model sets There are high res models and low res models for the field for example. Battle models I've no clue about but I know where they are located at least :)  The hi rez sets have 2 texture's that are 8 bit depth and palatized. All textures are 128x128 pixels. Vertex counts I can get as well as face count. They are stored a bit differently (ok a LOT differently) than in FF7. The have no lighting characteristics nor any vertex normals etc.  So yes they are limited, but in my view they are pretty good considering they were made quite a while ago.
6) Japan is a totally different world than the US.  Same as Europe and the US.  That's the way things are.  
I had in mind resolution 320x240 (340 typo) .Movies are in 320 x 224 exactly. I am not interested in getting it to work becouse for me ff7 works now (i know that it is selfish) , and knowing how this engine works is not important for me becouse i know too little about programing and has no practice and can't learn from this project . Of course i would like to help in programing engine but it would take too long for me to catch up with programing level of many people on this board. So programing engine is not for me .
214 was a typo I didn't notice for a while yes it's 224 for everything.  Ok so you basically have no interest in the project.  That's cool. :)

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 2005-01-19 03:47:52 »
Cyb: Squaresoft *DID* port FF7 to PC.

The porting process was done by a contract team, but under Square's control. Edios at no time had the source code, they simply distributed the program.

Actually, what Square did was "up-port" the code. At the time, Square's sharefolders were chomping at the bit because of the exclusive contract with Sony. They wanted the company to diversify and Square started to rewrite thier old games to more portable and device-independant code. FF7 was kind of in a quasi-state as it was written with a moderen language, but was still tied to it's propitary platfrom. In effect it's port suffered because it *WAS* a port, and not a rewrite of the engine. The FF1/2 code is *EXTREAMELY* portable. (These both use the same engine, with different data, it's why they are always bundleled togeather). On the flip side FF6's rewrite, using the SNES engine program flow as it's base, was still a rewrite and not the same engine as the remakes of FF5, 4, or 1-2

It was, at the time a good business desision, but bad timeing on chosing FF7. They should of waited and ported FF9 to the PC as it as it was just beginning deveopment at the time.

Locutus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005-01-19 06:32:49 »
First Cyberman . I see that you like saying everything precise. anything said generaly is wrong

1) Square soft did not port FF7 OR FF8 to the PC  and yes FF7 was a really nasty port :)

Maybe not Square but someone made ff for pc for Square and Square aproved that ff version

3) Starting with the PC first and porting to the PSX can have mixed results.  It's better to leave things open for later porting than code for one platform and then attempt to port to another.  It's a difficult situations irreguardless to make the game that way.

I was speaking here about media,graphic. When you have high resolution backgrounds,movies,textures on pc then it is easy to convert them to low
resolution psx. From low resolution media you can't make high one.
You need to render them again in high resolution. People creating pc version has got generaly psx media . (only movies in ff8 were rendered again in 640x480) or maybe they had high res movies in first place and encoded them to psx native resolution.

4) I know a LOT about the FF7 model information there polycounts I suppose I could give you exactly if I took the time to gather statics from them.  I could also give animation count texture size (if any) etc.  Been playing with them for well over a year now (scarey now that I think about it).

I am also playing ff7 models for long time and i was speaking generaly. I was not speaking about exact numbers.  From watching ff7 models and few ff8 models i got felling that they could be better on pc becouse pc is not limited by strict specifications like psx (of course pc is limited by economical boundries).  For example - today no one can release game that is playable only on geforce 6800 ultra .( one can release such game but will not earn much from it)

Ok so you basically have no interest in the project.  That's cool. :)

What is cool about it?  I don't know . You know this is as cool as saying that nick 'Cyberman" is cool becouse word  cyber  is in it (not that i do not like nick Cyberman). no offense but i heard little flaming in your words.

Synergy Blades

« Reply #49 on: 2005-01-19 07:54:13 »
I for one don't want to see a remake with half-assed fan made models. It'd be a great challenge to make a new engine with Square's original content that has greater compatibility.