Author Topic: Soundfont handling in FF7pc  (Read 5075 times)

Rubicant

• View Profile
Soundfont handling in FF7pc
« on: 2002-12-16 06:13:40 »
I'm just wondering...Since FF7 comes with 4 soundfonts, and all 4 are used evenly through all 90 or so songs, is it possible to change which song uses what soundfont? With that said, is it possible to add new soundfonts to the ones that are used for use with new/improved songs? I'm thinking of soundfonts for each song, or at least a greater variety to make it closer to OST. Has this been discovered yet, or am I re-rambling about something that has already been explained?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: 2002-12-16 08:39:28 »
Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-12-16 12:25:32 »
The "soundfont for each song" idea was actually kind of a broad example. I was mostly talking about adding in a few soundfonts to make each song's "needs" in instument compatability to be fulfilled...not neccesarily a soundfont for each song. You're right, nobody is probably that dedicated to make 90 or so different soundfonts. However, forced labor has always worked in situations like this...J/k

The ff7music program that fice released doesn't work for some people (including me), and no matter what I do, I cannot get it to work. Even with older versions, I can't get mp3's to play, let alone start FF7 without it giving me a "microsoft patented illegal operation". And since fixing that program for people who have problems with it isn't on ficedula's near horizon, anyone who has problems with FF7Music will probably have to wait awhile to finally get the program working. If you're one of those lucky individuals who have gotten it to work...I envy you!!

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-12-17 00:14:26 »
Ok, another question. Exactly WHAT does music.idx do? I've tried messing around with it, but I've gotten no indications that it actually does anything.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: 2002-12-17 00:49:46 »
Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-12-17 01:48:41 »
I've been wondering what bank, exactly, does lb2.sf2 get loaded into, anyway?

I've been thinking that since I don't really have soundfont support, I could emulate what it would have sounded like (note, I'm trying to do this outside of the game, thru Winamp preferably) by doing a SF2->DLS conversion, but I need to know what bank I need to load the file into, so that the instruments in the MIDI file match up correctly.  It looks to me, though, that FF7 isn't loading it into bank1, as far as I know....

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-12-17 01:55:11 »
Ok, another question. I unpacked the xg midi files from the lgp, and listened to a few select ones. There are some in there that are sound effects, like a heartbeat, wind, and I think the sound from the Seto sequence from cosmo canyon. Now, if you look inside the "music" directory of ff7's data directory, you will notice that there are some wav files. These sounds are: heart.wav(heartbeat), wind.wav(wind), sato.wav (sounds from seto sequense), and sensui.wav(from the submarine?). I also viewed the music.idx to find that there are songs named the title of the wave files listed. That's right...heart.mid, wind.mid, sensui.mid, etc...

Then, I look inside each of the midi lgp files with my trusty hex editor. I resolve that only xg.lgp and ygm.lgp contain the midi file versions of these wavs. What does this mean? In case you haven't figured it out already, I'll explain anyways. This means that the general midi and soundfont versions of ff7's music didn't contain the hearbeat, wind, seto, and submarine(?) sounds built in. They use the wav files to make the sounds, instead of using midi, like xg synth does. The xg synth midis can use the synthesizer sounds instead of the wav files for a better effect.

However, when testing to see if this really works, I am dreadfully disappointed. I go into the game using xg midi data, and FF7 uses the wind.wav file for the "wind" effect in the bottom of the northern crater. I can tell that the wav file is being used because I replaced some rock music with the wind sound inside wind.wav. Instead of using the synthesizer's sound with wind.mid, which is obviously loaded into memory, FF7 uses the wind.wav file just for the hell of it.

Now, can someone please explain why this happens? They go through all the trouble of adding in midis to enhance the sound effects, yet they aren't even used during the game. Has anyone gotten the xg synth effects to run instead of the wav file subsitiutes?

Hey, in case you don't understand my post, don't fret. This is actually kind of hard to explain...

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #7 on: 2002-12-17 02:32:40 »
FF7.sf2 loads into bank 1, with several instruments loading in banks 2-6, one instrument in bank 7, one in 8, and one in 9.  LB2.sf2 is loaded on top of that in bank 1 right before the battle with Safer Sephiroth.

As far as I know, there is no way to get the SoundFonts to auto-load in Win2k/XP.  You have to load them manually into bank 1.  (I created a new version of FF7 for SBLive a while back, when I was playing through FF7, that incorporates lb2.sf2 into ff7.sf2 without messing up any other songs.  That way, you can manually load the font in Win2k/XP without missing the Sephiroth Choir . . . weather or not I'll ever upload it is another thing . . . )

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-12-18 15:51:16 »
When I first played FF7 I didn't ever get the soundfonts to auto-load in my older windows 98, for some weird reason. So, I manually loaded FF7.sf2 and the music sounded pretty decent, just not OST. Believe me, the music in the lost capitol sounded very interesting when using FF7.sf2. Finally, I get to the last boss song, and there are no voices. It'd been pointed out to me beforehand that the song does have voices. If I hadn't been told before, I never would have known, because it sounds okay without the voices anyways. Besides when
Spoiler: show
Sephiroth
does that "supernova" move, I  put on "Powerman 5000 - Supernova goes pop.mp3" on in winamp and continue the battle like that. Definately fits in.

Ok, about that Yamaha thing..anyone?