Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1258355 times)

Thisguyaresick2

Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2300 on: 2013-11-11 02:07:45 »
Then that means I can choose?

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: 2013-11-11 02:54:44 »
That's entirely up to you.

Personally if King Behemoth made no sense in English I would consider changing it, but as a direct transliteration makes perfect sense (considering it isn't even a Japanese name) I don't see any reason to.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: 2013-11-11 04:08:02 »
At the end of the day, a localization has to be natural within the confines of the original intention and work.  So Scorpion King is preferable to King Scorpion.  It doesn't really matter either way, as long as it sounds natural and doesn't change the meaning. When I first started this project I was very very strict with weapon names and so forth, but you simply can't be that rigid for it to work properly.

For example, "Double Head"  might be the name of a monster but to an English audience it sounds rather crap.  So Twin Head is perfectly fine.  Most times the original Japanese names (which are generally already in English) work fine, but sometimes small changes need to be made.

The general rule of thumb I use is "Would I be happy with this change, if this was my work".
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 06:08:29 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2303 on: 2013-11-11 11:23:57 »
Okay. Guess I'll use "Behemoth King" in my translation. That's how I'm used to anyway.

But is "King Tail" gramatically correct? Normally, kings have no tails. I think it should be "King's Tail".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: 2013-11-11 11:46:57 »
The king in this case is the Behemoth, he whips its tail at you.  Either King's or King is fine for a move name, but perhaps King's works better grammatically.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 11:48:53 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2305 on: 2013-11-11 15:30:24 »
Okay.

About the Megathrust attack, I don't think that's a good name choice. The attack is Earth-elemental (according to Proud Clod), and both "Tremor" and "Violent Earthquake" are very suggestive. "Megathrust" doesn't suggest the element, so I think you should pick a better one.

Found typos in your list, in "Brachioraidos" and "Bahamut Zero" (last column).
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 15:38:40 by Thisguyaresick2 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: 2013-11-11 16:14:49 »
Brachioraids is not a typo.  That's what I have localized it to (from the Brachiosaurus and the word "raid").  Bahamut was a typo in the document you are right.  Fixed.

As for megathrust:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megathrust_earthquake

I did not pull it out of thin air.  The literal is Violent Earthquake, and this works perfectly fine.  Tremor does not suggest a violent earthquake, and Violent Earthquake is far too literal.

« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 16:16:29 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2307 on: 2013-11-11 18:02:54 »
Ah, I see.

May I ask you something? Why did you change the Grand Spark attack to simply "Jibashiri"? You left no explanation about it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: 2013-11-11 18:40:59 »
It's an established move.  I forget where it is found, possibly ninja clans.  In other words, Jibashiri is a real life move.   Same for Katon and Kamaitachi.  If a name is established in real life or in another fiction, it has to be kept.  That's why we say Murasame and not Village Rain, because it is a name and that name must be preserved.

Look up Jibashiri in google.  I've forgotten where it is from.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 18:51:37 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2309 on: 2013-11-11 20:00:50 »
I didn't find anything saying that Jibashiri is a real life move. The results I find with Google are related to animes, the first ones being Inazuma Eleven and Naruto. But if you're going to keep it, I don't mind.

I already knew about Kamaitachi and Katon.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: 2013-11-11 20:09:15 »
If it is part of a fiction it is also kept, since it is still a name, but I definitely remember it being used somewhere.  Luksy can shed light on that.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: 2013-11-11 21:26:22 »
I had to look this one up again, historically the term seems to have been used to refer to certain dancers in matsuri, and more recently to refer to the way ninja run or for certain attacks that run along the ground, which is what the word literally means ("close to / running along the ground").

Italian has "rasoterra" but I can't find a single English word that fits, other than "hedgehop" which only refers to planes. Seeing as the enemies that use the attack itself have nothing to do with Japan we might want to consider changing this one if a suitable translation can be found.

Oboro Muramasa has a very similar move that was translated as "Earth Runner", sounds a bit crap though IMHO.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: 2013-11-11 21:41:14 »
If this isn't an established name, something like Ground Spark would work, since it is a spark attack along the ground.

petafeng

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: 2013-11-12 15:25:34 »
Hi DLPB, i created an account just to thank you and your team for your efforts. From reading your first post, i can already tell how much 'abuse' you and your team has to go through to bring this awesome mod to pass. Shame on those who prefer to argue than to really help u with your mod. I'm glad (and with many others), that your dedication to make this game better has bring this to pass and to the delight of many. Awesome! and thank you!

I read through the faq and was just reading about the part of installation that allows you to choose certain features. for example the 9999 limit. does it mean if I tick the option during the install, i can break the 9999 dmg and hp limit? if yes, is it possible to disable half-way through the game without running the whole installer?

If I can be of any help, do let me know, i'll help the best i can.
maybe I'll list down my skills and u can decide if I can be of any help:
I'm an IT administrator, handling desktops, servers.
able to write batch files (used in backup jobs)
have some knowledge in visual basic in excel (wrote a simple finance program for my school project, many years ago)
some experience in Diablo2 modding (where u extract .txt files from .bin files) then i modify the txt files direct to add some features like diablo2 items/aura/mercenaries graphics) one of my works is here: d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56900&p=446375#p446375)

i'm willing to do boring tasks (renaming, reading long texts and modify them), pick up new skills if you have the time to teach me to help u.
just drop me an email gjfeng@yahoo dot com
« Last Edit: 2013-11-12 15:51:43 by petafeng »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: 2013-11-12 16:31:54 »
I read through the faq and was just reading about the part of installation that allows you to choose certain features. for example the 9999 limit. does it mean if I tick the option during the install, i can break the 9999 dmg and hp limit? if yes, is it possible to disable half-way through the game without running the whole installer?

The mod was created by Dziugo, you can disable half way but you'd have to rerun the installer with the option off.

As for help, it is much appreciated.  The only thing that you and others will need to do (because this is now almost complete) is run through the finished game and give any suggestions and/or corrections. What I do need more than anything else is someone else who has a good grasp of Japanese and English to do a proof check of the work.
==============

Also:

http://onbu.net/www/ninja/en/jutsu_jibashiri.shtml

http://inazuma-eleven.wikia.com/wiki/Jibashiri_Kaen

It seems that some people are localizing it by keeping the Japanese.  It depends how we want this.  Either something unique that sounds cool, or something that is fully localized.  I like either Jibashiri or Ground Spark.  It's up to you. Remember that Zantetsuken is not an established name, it is only established in ff7 canon because the literal sounds crap. "iron-cutting sword". So sometimes leaving Japanese is simply a matter of preference.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-12 16:36:12 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: 2013-11-12 21:56:37 »
I think the issue here is that jibashiri in a ninja context can be left well alone, but as it's used literally in this case it might not make sense. I would translate it for Inazuma Eleven for instance, given that I could even come up with anything decent.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: 2013-11-12 22:14:38 »
That's a pretty sound argument.

Maybe Ground Spark or Ground Runner then, I guess? 

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2317 on: 2013-11-12 22:55:49 »
I'd choose "Ground Spark". And I agree with luksy. "Jibashiri" wouldn't make sense.

I agree with you on Zantetsuken. Its literal translation just sucks. But "Zantetsuken" doesn't make much sense either, if you think for a while. Odin is a god of the Norse mythology, how can he have a Japanese sword?

I guess this is where the Zantetsuken came from. Not sure if you already saw it, but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goemon_Ishikawa_XIII

This is the only thing I found about it. The rest of the search results just lead me to Final Fantasy.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: 2013-11-12 23:03:53 »
Sometimes it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense for a Japanese word to be there, it is simply a matter of it sounding good or establishing something unique.  In most cases it doesn't occur but exceptions don't ruin anything.  Jibashiri would still work, especially if was used continually across the franchise for the same move.  I won't be using it here though.  :)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-12 23:07:24 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: 2013-11-13 01:00:03 »
So...delving deeper into Odin and Zantetsuken... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram_(mythology)

Gram was forged by Wayland the Smith and originally belonged to Sigurd's father, Sigmund, who received it in the hall of the Völsung after pulling it out of the tree Barnstokkr into which Odin had stuck it where no one else could pull it out. [...] After it was reforged, it could cleave an anvil in twain.

I think it's highly likely this is what they were trying to get at with Zantetsuken, in which case it might make more sense as Gram/Balmung/Nothung/Balmus; as Thisguyaresick2 points out it's a little ridiculous that Odin wields a Japanese sword.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: 2013-11-13 08:02:36 »
Gram/Balmung, the sword that Odin struck into the Branstock tree which only Sigmund the Völsung was able to pull out. It broke in battle with Odin but was later reforged by Sigmund's son Sigurd/Siegfried and used it to slay the dragon Fafnir. After being reforged, it could cleave an anvil in half.

It was reforged later after Odin.  But if it is the same sword, Gram or Balmung would have worked.  Sadly they went with "Iron Cutting Sword" hahaha

If I had to choose, I'd definitely go with Balmung.

It does make an appearance elsewhere....

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Balmung

You could use Gram or even Wrath.
===============

However, it could be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrfing

Then he forced them to forge a sword with a golden hilt that would never miss a stroke, would never rust and would cut through stone and iron as easily as through clothes.

In fact I'd say this one is the more likely.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-13 08:12:04 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2321 on: 2013-11-13 12:31:35 »
Changing the Zantetsuken's name is entirely up to you guys. I'll keep it as "Zantetsuken" in my translation, just because it's part of the recurring stuff.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: 2013-11-13 13:09:32 »
I'll probably also keep it because the error is entirely on their part and it's become a Final Fantasy unique thing.  But if I were to change it, I'd probably use Tyrfing, given it's probably referencing the magic sword.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: 2013-11-14 00:02:36 »
As far as the wiki article is concerned, Tyrfing doesn't seem to have been used by Odin surely? Splitting hairs anyway, I think we can agree that both Zantetsuken and Steel-bladed sword are rather crap considering we're talking about one of the more important figures in mythology.

The Japanese wiki has a better entry though

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/斬鉄剣

apparently the word was used to describe certain swords made by Yasuhiro Kobayashi I, who died only about 25 years ago.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: 2013-11-14 04:11:02 »
The mod was created by Dziugo, you can disable half way but you'd have to rerun the installer with the option off.

As for help, it is much appreciated.  The only thing that you and others will need to do (because this is now almost complete) is run through the finished game and give any suggestions and/or corrections. What I do need more than anything else is someone else who has a good grasp of Japanese and English to do a proof check of the work.
==============

Also:

http://onbu.net/www/ninja/en/jutsu_jibashiri.shtml

http://inazuma-eleven.wikia.com/wiki/Jibashiri_Kaen

It seems that some people are localizing it by keeping the Japanese.  It depends how we want this.  Either something unique that sounds cool, or something that is fully localized.  I like either Jibashiri or Ground Spark.  It's up to you. Remember that Zantetsuken is not an established name, it is only established in ff7 canon because the literal sounds crap. "iron-cutting sword". So sometimes leaving Japanese is simply a matter of preference.

Just going slightly offtopic, about Inazuma Eleven: one move could be known in the general fandom by 4 slightly different names. The wikia linked up there generally uses literally translated japanese names. Then there's the DS/3DS official localization (which in terms of the actual script/move names is good, but the distributors -not the actual localization team- decided to pull a Captain Tsubasa and give everyone very English names even though it's clearly set in Japan, which is jarring in this day and age and makes everyone seem straight out of Merseyside). Then there's the unofficial translation of the DS version (as opposed to the 3DS version in Europe, Nintendo literally held off the release of a 3-year old DS game just to hawk more 3DSes) of Inazuma Eleven 3, used in the Youtube video posted in that article, that translates Jibashiri Kaen to "Ground run Blaze(sic)" (this translation isn't very good since it was done by people who don't speak English very well, but it's workable at least). Then there's the only English fansub group that translates the anime... all of them use slightly different variations on names.

So I'd really advise against using Inazuma Eleven as a source. If I had a 3DS and the 3DS version of Inazuma Eleven 3 I'd check the official translation, but seems like the fansubbers translated it as "Ground Running Blaze".