Author Topic: FF8 World Map Texture Update  (Read 10681 times)

Crestian

• View Profile
FF8 World Map Texture Update
« on: 2014-07-20 20:51:59 »
Hello, Ive been following this Site for a while now. I'm a 3D artist by trade and naturally Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game, so I want to extend my services in improving the game's appearance. My strengths are Modeling and Texturing environments or characters.

I would like to know if anyone has made progress on extracting the World Map textures from FF8, and more importantly would like to know if the textures would be able to be used with Tonberry once they have been updated/upressed/upscaled.

I've had no luck getting the PuPu extractor to work on my PC, (literally have read on all info on being able to extract textures from the ff8 folders but to no avail) so I have retired the idea of extracting them myself.

My perfect scenario would be if someone could find them contact me and allow me to help work on a visual update for the World Map textures.

Thanks, and forgive me if my posting etiquette is awful or just wrong I have never posted before.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: FF8 World Map Texture Update
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-20 21:05:18 »
I'll see if I can extract them for you. Need a day or two to find some time.

Crestian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-20 21:18:21 »
Awesome thanks! I check here a few times a day and work the rest haha.

Also if anyone would need help in modeling/texturing hit me up for either FF7 or FF8.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-20 21:24:11 »
I'm not sure if only new textures would be enough. Something has gone wrong when they converted the mesh for PC:

Even if this was present in the PSX version, which I doubt it is, we need to fix it somehow. I can imagine that the walkmesh has some bad interactions.

Also if anyone would need help in modeling/texturing hit me up for either FF7 or FF8.
Well there is plenty stuff to do but Mayo Master has ask for help first:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15382.0#new
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 21:28:30 by Kaldarasha »

Crestian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-20 21:52:48 »
I've noticed the flickering on the meshes. I've even seen texture loss on the Forests and such after I enter a battle, they seem to blur a little and only a reload of the game gets them back to there less blurry original lol..

But, I have noticed that most of the flickering on the meshes are for the towns and building of the World map.
maybe once model manipulation because available (hopeful for a breakthrough) we could look at the models and fix them up as well. It's almost like the meshes got duplicated on top of one another. but what do I know haha?

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-20 22:07:28 »
I believe the world map textures are dumped through the Tonberry debug folders, so obtaining a full set of them will be the first step. Taking the ragnorak around every area should dump most everything. It would be nice to have some high res seamless wm textures!

Crestian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-26 01:02:53 »
Any luck on WM texture extraction? I have a free weekend, thought I'd give it another shot.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-26 02:09:53 »
Any luck on WM texture extraction? I have a free weekend, thought I'd give it another shot.

LoL no one wants to go get the textures ;)

It's a time consuming process, but a rewarding one.

Someone has to follow the Tonberry debug instructions and then fly ragnarok everywhere they can like Omzy said.
Then they need to sift through the images and delete any duplicates.  (delete uneccessary images as well.)
This will then give you the textures you need - make a copy of them, send them to Omzy and then retexture them.  After that, Omzy should be able to help you with the release.

Good luck. :)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-26 03:01:48 »
It might be a better idea to load up the game and fly around one specific area, dump those textures only. That way you aren't digging through hundreds of unique 20x20 pixel grass, dirt and water textures. I remember from the ff7 wm retexture project how silly it was trying to figure out where each texture went in the game. When we got down to the last few, we would go on a search for hours trying to find the black 'dummy' texture to identify it's placement. Some of those were pretty darn hard to find  :evil:

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-26 11:52:56 »
What textures do you guys exactly need? I could find some time in that afternoon. However, I always thought that the ugly effect in the worldmap was caused by the mesh used to tiling the textures.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-26 12:11:36 »
There is something wrong with the mesh, even on PS2 with activated linear filter the game didn't looked that ugly. I really believe that the walkmesh is interfering. This could explain why the seams are so noticeable.

Crestian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-26 20:39:15 »
What textures do you guys exactly need? I could find some time in that afternoon. However, I always thought that the ugly effect in the worldmap was caused by the mesh used to tiling the textures.

I'm just looking for Any/All World Map textures that can be put into Photoshop, up-scaled, then touched-up. Then I'll send to Ozmy for release. I cant get them to extract is why I was looking for "someone" to extract them.

I make things pretty, I dont make them work.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-26 21:29:38 »
I haven't got the debub files form Tonberry yet but I've found those textures; not sure that's all but you can get a sneak peek on how the world map textures looks like.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5hn35h

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-26 23:18:47 »
I gave it a try but I think I didn't found anything useful. The only thing that could be used is something that appears to be the ragnarok texture. If it appears in noreplaced nomatch folder it means that it wasn't upscaled by anyone, isn't it?

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-27 13:08:17 »
I've been unable to find balamb towns textures, I found part of garden texture mixed with completely different textures, but that was without having ragnarok maybe certain actions trigger them I'm not sure

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #15 on: 2014-08-05 21:17:26 »
I've been unable to find balamb towns textures, I found part of garden texture mixed with completely different textures, but that was without having ragnarok maybe certain actions trigger them I'm not sure

I'm pretty sure you have to dump the backgrounds before and after certain world events : balamb before it's change/after etc