Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1834505 times)

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Edit for the FFVII Remix 2.5.1
« Reply #75 on: 2011-07-31 17:57:16 »
The NSIS installer needs to launch the separate installers for each mod.
Extract the .rar, .7z or .zip; find and launch the .exe if it exists; wait for that mods proprietary installer to finish; copy the files to where they belong; and apply any fixes before continuing.
The trickiest part I've encountered so far is reading all the file names.
Some of the mods have single quotes, tons of spaces and even some foreign characters in the names.
A sparkly installer will be nice!

-PitBrat

pico

« Reply #76 on: 2011-07-31 18:57:16 »
Hi PitBrat,

Thanks for making this much-needed program! However I am having some problems ...

I have downloaded all the files into the same folder with bootleg.exe. When I run it as administrator, I see the ASCII art flash briefly onscreen before the window closes. I am running Win XP Pro, do you have any idea why it might not be working for me?

The only thing I can think of myself is if a download for one of the numerous mods quit halfway-through or something like that. Would incorrect file sizes cause a problem with bootleg.exe?

Anyway, I have read through the readme and the thread here, and I think you may need to remove the "Millenia's Custom Weapons.exe" from the file listing below the download link for the bootleg, because it should be contained within cloudswords_installer.rar, right? Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-31 19:22:30 by pico »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-08-01 15:28:10 »
Bootleg runs on XP.

EDIT: An issue with Gjoerulvs' Hardcore Mod may prevent that installer from running on XP.  The Bootleg continue without the Hardcore Mod.

The file ff7102zx.zip must be in the same folder with Bootleg.exe.
You must already have a fresh install of FF7 to one of these folders:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\
or
    C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\

The Bootleg will NOT work if FF7 is installed elsewhere.

Thanks, I removed the extra file from the list.

-PitBrat
« Last Edit: 2011-08-01 15:34:48 by PitBrat »

pico

« Reply #78 on: 2011-08-01 18:02:13 »
OK, well I have followed all these instructions to the best of my ability, but it still isn't working. There are some odd quirks with my machine though; there could be a problem on my end, for example with dual-booting and windows un-recognized drive partitions. Maybe I will try again when I get around to fresh-installing everything. For that matter, would your bootleg work under Linux?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-08-01 23:18:01 »
The main engine behind the Bootleg is a .bat file.
Anything that supports a Windows NT or later CMD window should run the Bootleg.
The main requirements are:
    A fresh install of FF7 to the default location on the system drive
        .\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\
       or
        .\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\
    The official 1.02 patch
        ff7102zx.zip

I'm currently implementing the ability to pass the FF7 installation directory as a command line argument.
That should allow support for non standard installations.

EDIT: Bootleg installs to a custom Final Fantasy VII install folder with the /D switch.  Bootleg searches for mods in the folders specified with the /F switch.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-03 13:07:10 by PitBrat »

shadowfox

• Hold My Beer
    • View Profile
    • Shadowfox Productions
« Reply #80 on: 2011-08-01 23:47:07 »
Shadowfox,
I think the cause of the model glitches you're experiencing is most likely that you've added files that belong in high-us.lgp, world_us.lgp or flevel.lgp into char.lgp.

Thanks,
-PitBrat

I am thinking the same thing, I have been going over my install one step at a time and hadn't been checking back *chuckle*. I'm going to dump the install and start over with everything new from your new BAT. Unlike everyone else here though I have all of the original files now /wink  :)

Oh by the way I meant to ask; The install process has taught me ALOT about modifying the files in FF7, do you know of a complete list of file names for each character in battle and field files? This would help in identifying what needs to be fixed and pming/posting fixed files to be passed around to get it done faster.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-01 23:48:56 by shadowfox »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2011-08-01 23:58:59 »
I've tried the Bootleg on multiple machines here at home with no problem.  I believe the biggest hurdle is making sure every one of the mods is in the same folder as Bootleg.  And that each mod's file name remains unchanged from the original download.

The next release of the Bootleg (Beta 4) has fixes for Barret's flickering face and for the HQ Aerith flickering face.

I'm debating whether to release it tonight or hold off until I implement the ability to enter a different FF7 install path via the command line.

-PitBrat[/b]

shadowfox

• Hold My Beer
    • View Profile
    • Shadowfox Productions
« Reply #82 on: 2011-08-02 00:01:55 »
I'm currently implementing the ability to pass the FF7 installation directory as a command line argument.
That should allow support for non standard installations.

ya know.... one of the things I hated most when I came to these forums first off was "your install HAS to be in the default...." I never asked why, I didn't care to know why, i still don't want to know why. I just hated it. I thought to myself wow this community is awesome, but we can't get out of the default install directory rofl.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-08-02 00:06:53 »
Most mods that use nsis with my code or other similar code will install to any ff7 directory, wherever it is.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-08-02 00:13:31 »
I use a single variable to store the FF7 install path, so it is simple to change.
I only enforced the default path to maintain compatibility with some of the older mods.
Here's a bit of the sloppy code.  This was a quick fix that I never intended to leave unchanged.
Code: [Select]
SET BootSource=%~dp0
SET BootlegTemp=%temp%\Bootleg_Setup\
IF NOT EXIST "%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe" GOTO x86
SET FF7Path=%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\
GOTO BootlegBegin
:x86
IF NOT EXIST "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe" GOTO EndBootleg
SET FF7Path=%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\
:BootlegBegin

I'm working on an NSIS installer for the Bootleg.
I'll have an NSIS front end ready before long.
I'd like to have it download missing mods on the fly during installation.

EDIT:I'm a bit stumped as to how to get NSIS to download a file from places like mediafire or google docs.

The Bootleg really doesn't install much.  It's a script that runs through all the other mods' installers in the most compatible order.
The only thing the Bootleg installs are the fixes required to make all the mods work together.

EDIT:Bootleg .0002 now installs to a non standard path using the /D"D:\Games\Final Fantasy VII" switch.  The only hiccup is that some mods require that you enter the correct FF7 install path.  Bootleg notifies you of exactly what path to enter.

-PitBrat
« Last Edit: 2011-08-02 04:06:26 by PitBrat »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-08-03 03:35:19 »
Shadowfox,
This forum topic offers a nice listing of FF7 files: FF7 File Reconstruction Project
Here is a direct link to the spreadsheet: Excel Spreadsheet

I've updated the Bootleg with switches to change the install path (/D) and to add search paths for mods (/F).
I hope someone tries it and lets me know the results.

-PitBrat

shadowfox

• Hold My Beer
    • View Profile
    • Shadowfox Productions
« Reply #86 on: 2011-08-04 07:54:19 »
Shadowfox,
This forum topic offers a nice listing of FF7 files: FF7 File Reconstruction Project

I've updated the Bootleg with switches to change the install path (/D) and to add search paths for mods (/F).
I hope someone tries it and lets me know the results.

-PitBrat

OMG how did I not find this post :( My google fu sucks apparently. Thanks much appreciated yay!

Installer worked fine off the default will try a few different long named directories to try and screw it up

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-08-04 08:03:31 »

This is excellent! This must have taken ages to make.

shadowfox

• Hold My Beer
    • View Profile
    • Shadowfox Productions
« Reply #88 on: 2011-08-04 08:09:19 »
This is excellent! This must have taken ages to make.

yeah I was checking out the forum thread, i can't believe I never saw that thread. I need to go out and shoot myself, afk a bit....

StrayOff

« Reply #89 on: 2011-08-04 16:19:18 »
EDIT:I'm a bit stumped as to how to get NSIS to download a file from places like mediafire or google docs.
That could be solved by integrating this http://svn.jdownloader.org/projects/show/jd into setup. It would be a huge programming task to do but it should be possible. but i think it's easier to make some download container (as i did, look below) as  prerequirement for installing because there's the problem that often downloads aren't stable. Sometimes they get removed because hoster changes something, file is illegal or file wasn't downloaded enough.

The other possibility could be to host all the mods on one place. Im not sure if somebody of the qhimm modders really set up a copyright to his project (i can't imagine). so making ff7 more beautiful it would be common sense to host them up on one source right?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-08-04 21:37:31 »
Pitbrat:

This is a nsis function that will enable you to download files off the 'net.

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Builtin_NSISdl_plug-in

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-08-04 22:02:22 »
Pitbrat:

This is a nsis function that will enable you to download files off the 'net.

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Builtin_NSISdl_plug-in
It won't work with sites that give some sort of a confirmation screen, such as MediaFire; you need to be able to download directly. Some file hosting sites give this feature with paid accounts.

FileDen allows direct linking, and up to 5GB total transfer per month on a free account; this is probably not enough for what you're doing, though.

StrayOff

« Reply #92 on: 2011-08-04 22:35:54 »
The problem are the captchas, the password requests, ... on those websites. nsis only won't work. so you need a tool executing on installation performing the download like jdownloader program. something like that could work with an nsis execution.

i also searched something like a share hoster link converter but i think there's nothing in the net

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-08-04 23:56:17 »
Is it possible with NSIS to create a list of up to 5 radial buttons; when the user selects one button, the other 4 are deselected and an image is displayed?

That would make choosing between variations easier when starting a Bootleg install.

I'm updating Bootleg with the ability to read from an .ini file.
This will allow more control over mod file names and paths.
I've also considered adding download locations to the .ini.
The installer can update the .ini file to keep current with changing download links.

It would be nice to distribute everything as one package.  A torrent is the only feasible method of distributing a 6.5GB package though.

-PitBrat

CGalaxy

« Reply #94 on: 2011-08-05 00:06:41 »
After having a ton of problems with the world map textures from the remix installer, I decided I'd give this a shot. I have all of the necessary files downloaded into the Bootleg folder, including bootleg.exe and the 1.02 patch. Bootleg.exe starts up okay, asking me about what patches to install. But then when it goes to install the 1.02 patch, it says the patch is missing and that I need to start over. I'm not sure what the issue is, since the patch is there. I downloaded the 1.02 zip file from the link Pitbrat posted, and I also tried one that I found elsewhere, but the result was the same.

Any ideas? Thanks!

StrayOff

« Reply #95 on: 2011-08-05 01:01:50 »
downloading torrents also require external programs as the installer itself. maybe we could push the mods to something like this: http://kiwi6.com
it's a hoster with direct linking and unlimited traffic

Is it possible with NSIS to create a list of up to 5 radial buttons; when the user selects one button, the other 4 are deselected and an image is displayed?
sure it's possible - i didn't try this but it seems to be an easy one:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/RadioButtons

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-08-05 01:03:56 »
CGalaxy,
What version of Windows are you using?

This version of Bootleg requires Windows NT with all the services packs or a newer version of Windows.

CGalaxy

« Reply #97 on: 2011-08-05 01:39:18 »
Thanks for a  pretty quick reply. I'm running windows 7 professional, 64-bit. It has service pack 1 and all current updates installed.

EDIT: Maybe this is unrelated to the reason you ask, but I just realized that from my picture it probably looks like I'm running an old-school windows os. I just prefer the classic look to the newer eye-candy they've put in the UI. 
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 01:46:27 by CGalaxy »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-08-05 04:02:52 »
EDIT: Bootleg 0002B4 works with mods in the starting folder and in paths specified with /F.

DOWNLOAD BOOTLEG

I also added these mods:
    ff7_enhanced_movies_1.zip                       Trojak          Another Movie Pack part 1               Qhimm FILE
    ff7_enhanced_movies_2.zip                       Trojak          Another Movie Pack part 2               Qhimm FILE
    fcondor_rmk_v1.0_05-08-2011-strayoff.rar        Strayoff        Condor Mini Game Texture Pack           Qhimm FILE

CGalaxy, yes, I noticed the vintage look of your screen cap.

I broke something when I added then /F switch.
I'll have a fix up soon.
  Fixed.
It works when you use the command line switch
    /F"C:\Bootleg"

-PitBrat
« Last Edit: 2011-08-05 05:46:05 by PitBrat »

CGalaxy

« Reply #99 on: 2011-08-05 17:31:16 »
Interestingly enough, last night I just tried reinstalling from scratch with aali's driver and the remix, and now the remix works perfectly. I no longer have the issues with the world map that I mentioned in that other thread, and I'm not getting an error messages. What I did differently this time I couldn't tell you. I haven't retried the bootleg again, though I might soon.

Sorry for sounding ignorant here, but I'm not sure I know what we mean by F "switch." I have a working knowledge of the terminal in linux, but not so much with windows. I see that it's something you do with the command line, but is it something necessary for installing bootleg altogether? The way I've been trying to install it, I've just put the bootleg folder in my root folder (C drive), right-click on Bootleg.exe and choose "Run as Administrator," and answered all of the prompts it gives about choosing what to install, such as Aeris revival, the hardcore mod, and the graphics patches. I've chosen the default answer provided for each question. After that is when it looks for the 1.02 patch and fails.