Author Topic: FF7 all of sudden won't play game  (Read 4495 times)

Abashi76

• View Profile
FF7 all of sudden won't play game
« on: 2019-10-29 15:31:44 »
When I click to start game from the launcher, I get an "exception error". I was able to play yesterday. The only thing I did different was to save "pieces" files from Wallmarket. This should not be happening, random glitches like this shouldn't exist.

Abashi76

• View Profile
Re: FF7 all of sudden won't play game
« Reply #1 on: 2019-10-29 21:54:24 »
I just discovered that I get the same problem after saving with WallMarket.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Buffer cannot be null.
Parameter name: buffer
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer, Boolean writable)
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer)
   at WallMarket.Form1.GUnZip(Byte[]& byteCompressed)
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateChangesPatchWMToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8806 (QFE.050727-8800)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.4.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Import/New%20folder%20(2)/New%20folder%20(2)/WallMarket145/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8806 (QFE.050727-8800)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5495 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8771 (QFE.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2019-10-29 21:59:44 »
It's not WallMarket's fault. Stop trying to blame it. If creating change patches doesn't work, don't do it.

Abashi76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-10-29 23:29:08 »
It's not WallMarket's fault. Stop trying to blame it. If creating change patches doesn't work, don't do it.

In that case, I had a computer problem this mourning. I got this weird thing with the colors on my screen and it causes a bunch of randomly colored pixels all over the place. I always thought that was the reason.

Is it a computer virus? It's not happening now.

Do I need to backup the .exe?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2019-10-30 02:22:46 »
That’s called artifacting and it can happen for a number of reasons. It’s not likely related either, but it usually indicates a mechanical failure between your video card and monitor like a contact losing connection or a frayed wire.

Abashi76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-10-30 14:35:09 »
That’s called artifacting and it can happen for a number of reasons. It’s not likely related either, but it usually indicates a mechanical failure between your video card and monitor like a contact losing connection or a frayed wire.

Yeah, I bet. I currently do not know any programming languages. I don't understand why certain complex old games like this cannot use a better programming language for PC/Steam versions, as they were modified more recently.

But, what do you think is the reason for the error? I have a backup for the .exe. Should I just use replace the file with that one? I havn't edited the .exe file until after the error happened, it's been a long time since I used WhiteChocobo. I never made any changes that cannot be done with in these programs.

I'm going to try that now. If it doesn't work, i'll edit this post to inform someone of the failure. This is sad, it was working so great two days ago that I was actually able to change the stats of the enemies and their attacks while playing the game and even experiencing the changes while playing. Yet, some how, everything went back to hell.

EDIT:
No, it still didn't work. What could be the problem.

I noticed that I am not able to make certain starter weapons sell-able even though the option exists in Wallmarket. Often times, Wallmarket will forget entire saves when it remembered them before. The changes that the program seems to forget are text changes and/or the file will even revert back to the changes I made in the past regardless what save functions I use (such as pieces). Because of that, i'm inclined to think that Wallmarket might have compatibility issues on my Windows 7 64-bit computer.

From Wallmarket every time I try to save:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Buffer cannot be null. Parameter name: buffer
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30 18:23:11 by Abashi76 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2019-11-01 13:37:00 »
Yeah, I bet. I currently do not know any programming languages. I don't understand why certain complex old games like this cannot use a better programming language for PC/Steam versions, as they were modified more recently.
Except they are not modified at all. Most games like this are kept with all original code intact and then run with a sort of emulator that redirects certain hardware calls. It's kinda like waxing a used cannon ball to go into a cannon it wasn't designed to be used in so it comes out more accurately. I understand entirely how it works, but I'm not really sure how to explain it to someone without a technical background so that analogy might be a bit weak.

But, what do you think is the reason for the error? I have a backup for the .exe. Should I just use replace the file with that one? I havn't edited the .exe file until after the error happened, it's been a long time since I used WhiteChocobo. I never made any changes that cannot be done with in these programs.
Why are you bolding things? I guess it's slightly better than caps lock, but only just.

From Wallmarket every time I try to save:...
Then you are:

A) Not Editting the KERNEL.BIN in the correct location
B) Attempting to edit a file that WM doesn't have permission to edit
C) missing the zlib1.dll in a location that WM can access

WM was written on a 64-bit Win7 machine. That's not the issue. Don't use the "Create changes Patch" menu item or whatever the label is. You want "Create KERNEL.BIN"

Abashi76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-11-04 19:14:01 »
Where is the zlib1.dll file? I don't remember ever moving or deleting it.

Should I just replace the Kernal.bin file with a backup (and update)?

BTW, is it okay to put my back up files in an empty folder (such as data/kernel)?

EDIT: Now my computer is not running the game every time I click on either the FF7 icon or even the Steam icon.

The problem occur'ed after I was trying to change equipment names and texts. They were already changed before, and I wanted to change them again. For some reason, that is when the game finally broke.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-10 19:55:59 by Abashi76 »

Abashi76

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-11-10 19:50:02 »
The game actually no longer even responded after I clicked on it. I deleted it from my computer, but my computer says it still exists. I am also unable to uninstall the game now from Control Panel. I deleted the entire folder (game comes from Steam). But for some reason my Control Panel says the game still exists. I backed up the folder in another folder that is not a part of any of my installed programs from Steam.

I probably shouldn't have deleted it since it's probably not the kernel.bin file if the game somehow stopped loading up after it used to say there was an 'exception error'.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-10 19:53:12 by Abashi76 »