Author Topic: Swear Filter  (Read 34848 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Swear Filter
« Reply #25 on: 2011-04-09 18:40:27 »
Now is also a good time to explain that I don't like people using 'gay' to mean 'lame, effeminate, silly'. So don't do it.

So you're going to use your mod power to push your linguistic prescriptivist views on everyone else? Naughty! :mrgreen:

I don't like that usage, but not for any reasons of offense, but simply because it's stupid and confusing. It can lead to misunderstandings when used in this form: if you call a person "gay" meaning anything but homosexual, somebody's gonna misinterpret it for sure. Clarity is always a good thing in written language.

As a general rule, when "gay" is used in that way, it's referring to inanimate objects and abstract concepts, so such confusions is rare. Example:

This thread is gay

The meaning is clear.

Now, as for "faggot", there we can leave ourselves open to confusion. If I say "OP is a faggot", it really could mean two different things.

gay means happy

No.

The English language, and the meanings of the words therein, has been changing at a frightening pace ever since Hengest and Horsa were first spotted at the Kentish shore.if you argue that "gay" means happy, then you're committed to asserting that all kinds of words are being used completely wrongly.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-09 18:44:56 by Kudistos Megistos »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-04-09 20:26:39 »
The meaning is clear.

Now, as for "faggot", there we can leave ourselves open to confusion. If I say "OP is a faggot", it really could mean two different things.

Been battling a 4chan user for quite some time on my site, he uses these words!? What does "OP" stand for? I am pretty sure I know what f****t means :/

Such a strange culture, but very distinctive...You can tell they are from 4chan just by reading one of their posts.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-04-09 20:34:29 »
original post or poster.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-04-09 20:39:57 »
original post or poster.

This doesn't make sense!? One time I got "OP f-- here you are a --- and a a------" or something of the sort! Is the person referring to himself/herself as a f--?

Why would they do this? I think it stands for something else right?

EDIT: Looked it up you are correct...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-04-09 20:43:24 »
This doesn't make sense!? One time I got "OP f-- here you are a --- and a a------" or something of the sort! Is the person referring to himself/herself as a f--?

Why would they do this? I think it stands for something else right?

EDIT: Looked it up you are correct...

Yes, it's common to use the word "fag" (usually as a suffix) to refer to oneself on *chan sites. This is particularly common when talking about one's nationality: Britfag, Ausfag, Amerifag etc.

Although I don't recall ever seeing anyone call themselves OPfag. That's unusual.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-04-09 20:51:20 »
OP has different meanings depending on context. For example, if someone says "Knights of the Round is OP", they probably mean overpowered.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-04-09 20:53:46 »
"Knights of the Round is OP"

Ahh this makes sense, as I do not remember the exact context word for word...heh

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-04-09 21:50:02 »
I think this isn't too bad of an idea, as not everybody uses swearing for insults.

Example, on other forums for something really cool I might go:

" :o That shit is fucking amazing"

Of course I'm not saying we should all excessively curse, but I think It's a good idea to have a filter that's toggleable. After all, It's not like we have a swearing filter embedded in our ears.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-04-10 10:46:30 »
Gay

2 dated light-hearted and carefree:Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face
3 dated brightly coloured; showy:a gay profusion of purple and pink sweet peas

Oxford dictionary.  It is more of an authority on spelling and meaning than you kud ;)  Gay means exactly what is above and did originally, but can also mean a homosexual person or

4 informal not impressive, stylish, or attractive:he thinks the obsession with celebrity is totally gay
----------

It depends on context nowadays but the word was hijacked.  It still retains its original meaning in context, or the flintstones is wrong.  The flintstones is too cool to be wrong, so am I and so is the oxford dictionary.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-10 10:48:52 by DLPB »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-04-10 12:51:36 »
Notice how the word "dated" comes before the definitions.  It may as well mean that those definitions no longer apply, unless the context of the word takes place in a time when it did apply.

It's not a good idea to use the word "gay" for its original meanings as they has been phased out in favor of the newer, more unfortunate meanings.

I'm feeling very gay today.  I'm feeling very happy today.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-04-10 12:53:22 »
It still applies.  Words have multiple meanings.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-04-10 12:54:12 »
But what does it matter, if no one uses it for that context?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-04-10 13:04:06 »
Well that is just my point.  It has been hijacked.  But the bottom line is, it can still mean what it did originally and is OK for use in that context.  If people have a problem with that they should make a new word up and use that for "to be a homosexual".

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-04-10 13:47:17 »
They should, but they won't.  People suck.  They never do what they should do.  They just follow whatever appears to be the norm :-\

EDIT: When I say "people suck", please don't take me too seriously.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-10 13:49:01 by The Seer of Shadows »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-04-10 13:53:26 »
I agree.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011-04-10 15:51:19 »

Oxford dictionary.  It is more of an authority on spelling and meaning than you kud

Good thing that it agrees with me. As The Seer of Shadows said, it is marked as dated and therefore inappropriate in normal speech. In contemporary, standard English, gay means one thing and one thing only, and that thing is "homosexual". It has meant this and only this since before you were born. Its change of meaning is an example of natural semantic change and not some hijacking. If you were to complain about hijacking, you'd be better off complaining about its use as an insult, but even then you'd be like Cnut giving orders to the sea. Don't try to fight against language change. I wish it were possible to do so, but it is not.

It still retains its original meaning in context, or the flintstones is wrong.  The flintstones is too cool to be wrong, so am I and so is the oxford dictionary.

This Flintstones was made in a different time, when there was still some ambiguity as to the word's meaning. I also imagine that they were trying to get a laugh out of whatever innuendo was there, a la Are You Being Served? and Mrs Slocombe's wet pussy. You might therefore be glad to hear that neither the Flintstones nor the OED are wrong ;D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-04-10 19:29:27 »
Well so we all know, that once again, you are right and the experts are wrong.  I'll have to throw my oxford dictionary out it seems, and get the one from kudford.

:mrgreen:

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-04-10 19:36:06 »
Well so we all know, that once again, you are right and the experts are wrong.  I'll have to throw my oxford dictionary out it seems, and get the one from kudford.

^What this fuckin' guy said

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-04-10 20:35:12 »

Except I agree with the experts. They say that the use of "gay" to mean "happy" is dated, i.e. inappropriate in modern speech and thus should only be used when one is seeking an old-timey feel. I also say that he use of "gay" to mean "happy" is dated, i.e. inappropriate in modern speech and thus should only be used when one is seeking an old-timey feel. You don't need to throw away that dictionary just yet, it says the same thing that I say!

BTW, I'd rather you used facts and evidence than sarcasm in your replies. It's very uncivil.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-04-10 20:47:23 »
Bosola's comment - Really sorry, I modified rather than quoted! The buttons are right next to each other! You might want to edit this back to its original content

nah it is OK, I do that all the time on my own forum.   :mrgreen:

Well I supplied my evidence, it was the dictionary stating multiple meanings for the word Gay.  You simply stated it wasn't true and because the word is outdated in that context, it is not allowed to be used as such in modern usage.

Which is, I am afraid, false. You can spin that any way you like... but you are wrong    Yet again though, I am arguing with you over something that is a blatant fact and just for the sake of you wanting an argument, so I will stop here and let you show us all the proof that gay no longer means what is quoted in my previous post, which was taken directly from the Oxford Dictionary.  Also show us proof that it can no longer be used as such... I would like to see "This can no longer be used" or words to that effect, if you can't find such evidence in the Oxford dictionary then you have to concede you are wrong.

You won't but oh well.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-10 21:49:03 by DLPB »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-04-10 21:01:31 »
Well I supplied my evidence, it was the dictionary stating multiple meanings for the word Gay.  You simply stated it wasn't true and because the word is outdated in that context, it is not allowed to be used as such in modern usage.

I said nothing about it not being allowed. I described it's usage, not prescribed it. I don't have the OED's glossary of terms at hand, but when a word is described as dated it usually indicates that it is only likely to be used by old people and that the linguistic community in general considers it to be obsolete.

Which is, I am afraid, false. You can spin that any way you like... but you are wrong :)   Yet again though, I am arguing with you over something that is a blatant fact and just for the sake of you wanting an argument, so I will stop here and let you show us all the proof that gay no longer means what is quoted in my previous post, which was taken directly from the Oxford Dictionary.  Also show us proof that it can no longer be used as such... I would like to see "This can no longer be used" or words to that effect, if you can't find such evidence in the Oxford dictionary then you have to concede you are wrong.

You won't but oh well.

Oh look it's the "I can't prove Kudistos wrong so I'll say he's trolling and his opinion can be ignored" argument again!

I don't need to provide evidence: you've provided it for me! You quoted the OED as saying that the meaning is dated and therefore considered wrong by people not of pensionable age. The last time I checked, you were not in this category. PROTIP: dated refers to words like negro to describe black people. The term will be heard from some people, but it will sound very, very wrong to modern ears. A dated word is obsolete to all intents and purposes; it's only used by the people who have yet to get the memo.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-10 21:38:13 by Kudistos Megistos »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-04-10 21:45:14 »
I tend to agree with Kudistos on this one. While the dictionary term is still a valid use, if you try to use it in speech you will find that what you said and what people think you mean are two vastly different things.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 2011-04-10 21:47:08 »
Words only exist through dint of consensus. And human beings change these words for good reasons - because they need to express things in new ways.

If we're really going to stick to etymologies, are we going to revert back to the 14th century meaning of 'sad' (meaning 'firm' or 'steady')?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-04-10 21:48:46 »
ITT: People being trolled by DLPB

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-04-10 21:53:33 »

If we're really going to stick to etymologies, are we going to revert back to the 14th century meaning of 'sad' (meaning 'firm' or 'steady')?

The word sad has been hijacked by militant bi-polar activists!

ITT: People being trolled by DLPB

Poe's law.

Anyway, shouldn't you be threatening him with your mod powers if he's trolling?