Author Topic: Christian fundamentalists in Britain  (Read 51251 times)

Mako

• View Profile
Re: Christian fundamentalists in Britain
« Reply #100 on: 2011-05-02 20:21:31 »
this is essentially my point I made in the other topic on religion. My arguement however is that we should not pretent to know something that is unknowable at this point. We could easily function in a society that acknowledges the existence of higher beings

This is were we differ, there is nothing wrong with filling that void of "A Higher Power". Would you go without eating? sleeping? perhaps interacting with people at all? All of these things the body needs, some more then others. These are all human feelings there is nothing wrong with artificially filling that void at all. As long as it makes them happy.

Its like starving kids in africa... Wrapping a shirt around there stomach to fool there body to thinking they ate. Same scenario here... Believe in God X and fool the body...of sorts :/

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2011-05-02 20:55:54 »
there is a problem, its called unecissary warfare, fane ingorance, and overpopulation. None of these are the direct result of religion. But religion has presented no real solution to any of these things. Science has, and with science your still allowed to believe in higher beings if you choose to. Essentially science is the evolution of religion in my opinion and we should go with the newer better idea and methodology. You can say that they are free to think what they will because nobody really knows anyway, but I have to agree with Socrates when I say that some things can have absolute forms of truth. Whereas the practice of old religions after new sciences have emerged are necissarily wrong IMO, because they lead to ignorance, and ignorance can lead to any kind of disgusting behavior or mind can possibly imagine. The developement of science is the absolute here, it is the right way to go. No need to cast aside our inner intuition. I believe in a higher power as well. kinda seems ignorant not to considering the size of the universe. but bad ideas will always be bad ideas, no matter how many people, or how long they are supported.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #102 on: 2011-05-02 23:09:31 »
There are religious beliefs, and the type of person someone is because of their beliefs.  Based on most of the posts here, one would think that everyone who believes in a God is a psychotic serial killer.  I have to say that in my own experience, I have met bigoted believers, but I've met more bigots that are just plain idiots...they are idiots independently of their religious beliefs.  Overwhelmingly, the people that I've come into contact with that do hold religious beliefs are good people.  Whether their beliefs are warranted or not, religion can be responsible for producing morally sound, good people (just as it can produce maniacs, but statistically speaking, they are in the minority).  Many people here speak of science as if it is this awesome force of change, but wtf, 10 year olds with iPhones running around on Facebook, using the internet to ridicule homosexualss till they commit suicide is what I see technology doing to humans.  I predict that the latest generation of humans is going to be more selfish and stupid than ever before (Directly because of technology).

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2011-05-04 15:53:23 »
the reason why technology is doing that to humans is because all of the useful tech is kept at bay for monitary profit. There exist batteries that recharge themselves, there are methods of growing inorganic materials organically by manupulating virus and bacteria, there has existed a motor engine that gets over 120 miles per gallon for over 7 decades and before all of these big cities or highways even existed, there was the all powerful telsa coil, but all of these things are deliberately kept at bay for the sake of profit. Things like the iPhone are release however bevause IMO and for the most part they cause a pretty huge distraction and make it easier for the general populous to ignore the world around them. I know that religious people can be very kind, I grew up catholic, hated it, but became a christian, and was til I was about 15. i met a lot of good people, but they all had the same logical fallacies floating around in their heads which is what ultimately led me to form my beliefs for my very own. Logically fallacious thinking, in my own experience, leads to harm, whether it be economically, physically, cognitively or spiritually. Religion supports and nutures these illogical traditions. It should be cast aside for REAL science.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2011-05-04 17:50:13 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2011-05-04 17:59:35 »
whatever what I'm saying is pretty common knowledge for anyone who pays a spec of attention

obesebear

• View Profile

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2011-05-04 18:09:44 »
Yarlson, to me that sounds like paranoid conspiracy theory to be honest....

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2011-05-04 18:10:53 »
whatever what I'm saying is pretty common knowledge for anyone who pays a spec of attention

I don't think that breaking the first law of thermodynamics is common knowledge.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2011-05-04 22:36:16 »
I don't see how the concept of power corrupting is conspiracy theory. you know for a fact that its common knowledge, so why is it every time someone delves into the specifics of it, it is labeled some kind of conspiracy theory? I don't believe in the illumanati or any of that stupid stuff, mostly because there is no proof. I have said it many times, and I'll say it again, I base what I say on facts that can be weighed tested and proven.

dont believe that a battery can be grown just as a cabbage can be?
Watch this
http://www.ted.com/talks/angela_belcher_using_nature_to_grow_batteries.html

kudistos, you yourself were arguing in this very thread earlier that you believe that humanity will one day be able to answer all questions that are now designated as unknowable. You really think we will accomplish this without changing the way we understand things we thought we already knew?

its not even a conspiracy, at least not for the most part. just things that nobody takes seriously, if it was a conspiracy it would be a lot more organized and a lot less wasteful. Its just an utterly retarded rat race for something that has absolutely no real value (money) over all other things that actually have real useful value but are not used because money is deemed more important. In other words, it was a system that was designed by some of the stupidest greediest men who ever lived. Its not theory either, its fact, look up patents for any major car company for example, you'll find that a lot of them have filed patents for various battery technologies. In fact the most highly advanced battery technologies that exist. The reason why they do this is to ensure nobody else will be able to use them and they can still suck the general public dry with these continually rising gas prices and inefficient cars. And in regards to the tesla coil, it is also not a theory, he proved at the 1900 worlds fair that you could easily power anything you'd like wirelessly using a tesla coil. He powered the entire event with one. The latest Family Guy even has a pretty hilarious joke about it so I would assume that a fair amount of people know the story. Also you could check out TED talks and they will openly talk and explain a lot of advanced technologies that a lot of people remain oblivious to. Its more than just some paranoia I'm afraid. I am a college student and also a fairly popular guy, and these are issues that my whole campus is talking about.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-04 22:42:24 by yarLson »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2011-05-04 23:54:11 »
I don't see how the concept of power corrupting is conspiracy theory.

That's not what you're asserting. You're asserting that someone is suppressing technology for financial benefit.

dont believe that a battery can be grown just as a cabbage can be?
Watch this
http://www.ted.com/talks/angela_belcher_using_nature_to_grow_batteries.html

And can she do it in a way that's economically viable? That won't cost more to produce than we'll save by using it? Because unless she can, there's a good reason why these things haven;t taken off, and it's nothing to do with conspiracies.

kudistos, you yourself were arguing in this very thread earlier that you believe that humanity will one day be able to answer all questions that are now designated as unknowable.

I do.

I just don't think that these discoveries were made by hicks in their garages in the 1970s and were suppressed by teh corporashunz.

I think these inventions are actually investor scams.

its not even a conspiracy, at least not for the most part. just things that nobody takes seriously

There's probably a good reason why they aren't taken seriously.

Its more than just some paranoia I'm afraid. I am a college student and also a fairly popular guy, and these are issues that my whole campus is talking about.

Which university's campus?

All of this sounds like stuff that's very convincing to laymen but that people who know what they're talking about know are nonsense.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2011-05-05 03:39:05 »
That video about growing a virus to create different things is nothing short of awesome.

Related note:  I'm working on my HHO generator.  Once I get it installed safely into my car I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2011-05-06 15:53:23 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:22:23 by Jenova's Witness »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2011-05-06 19:19:06 »
That's not what you're asserting. You're asserting that someone is suppressing technology for financial benefit.
yes that is what I am asserting, because its true and is the way in which power corrupts in the modern age at least to a certain degree. I already told you how you yourself could find out. Check the patent office if you don't believe me.  Also do some research on high MPH engine's you"ll come to find that there have existed for quite some time, engines which consume about 500% less gasoline than the standard model most cars use today, these aren't hybrids either. Also, remember that the first car ever made ran on water and vinegar so there is no arguing that since day one there has been a better source than fossil fuel.

As for my knowledge on tesla, I am double majoring in computer science and electrical engineering, if you don't want to believe what I have to say about him then don't. But he's the reason why I want to be an electrical engineer in the first place and I have spent a considerable number of years researching his discoveries. It wasn't easy finding the complete truth about him and there are still many holes in his history. Why? Well you can at least do some simple research and find that after the year 1906, the year they decided to cancel construction of a tesla coil on long island, a partially completed coil that still stands today, almost all record of Tesla and his work goes unmentioned. Meaning nothing substantial is recorded in text books, science journals, newspapers etc. about Tesla and any of his work for literally decades to come after the year 1906, and all patents for the 40 some inventions made by Tesla were given to Thomas Edison some time after 1910.

Why? Because Edison was the first person tesla worked for when he came to this country. The only exception was the tesla coil which JP Morgan itself held the patent to for some time. Find that hard to believe? Do some research, after his exile Tesla spent the rest of his years right here where I am right now, Colorado Springs, he put the entire city into multiple blackouts on several occasions while experimenting for about 4 decades into perfecting his coil technology. His lab is still here and the coil that he sent an electric current across the entire planet with still stands to this day. I have had the priveledge of visiting his lab before. He kept working in exile until his ultimate death. Clearly someone, somewhere, covered up Tesla's life and work deliberately for the sake of profiting off of fossil fiel. This much is clear, whether it was a mass conspiracy or just a greedy family is up in the air, but I put my money on the later.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-09 15:11:32 by yarLson »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2011-05-06 19:40:14 »
yes that is what I am asserting, because its true and is the way in which power corrupts in the modern age at least to a certain degree. I already told you how you yourself could find out. Check the patent office if you don't believe me.  Also do some research on high MPH engine's you"ll come to find that there have existed for quite some time, engines which consume about %500 less gasoline than the standard model most cars use today, these aren't hybrids either. Also, remember that the first car ever made ran on water and vinegar so there is no arguing that since day one there has been a better source than fossil fuel. As for my knowledge on tesla, I am double majoring in computer science and electrical engineering, if you don't want to believe what I have to say about him then don't. But he's the reason why I want to be an electrical engineer in the first place and I have spent a considerable number of years researching his discoveries. It wasn't easy finding the complete truth about him and there are still many holes in his history. Why? Well you can at least do some simple research and find that after the year 1906, the year they decided to cancel construction of a tesla coil on long island, a partially completed coil that still stands today, almost all record of Tesla and his work goes unmentioned. Meaning nothing substantial is recorded in text books, science journals, newspapers etc. about Tesla and any of his work for literally decades to come after the year 1906, and all patents for the 40 some inventions made by Tesla were given to Thomas Edison some time after 1910. Why? Because Edison was the first person tesla worked for when he came to this country. The only exception was the tesla coil which JP Morgan itself held the patent to for some time. Find that hard to believe? Do some research, after his exile Tesla spent the rest of his years right here where I am right now, Colorado Springs, he put the entire city into multiple blackouts on several occasions while experimenting for about 4 decades into perfecting his coil technology. His lab is still here and the coil that he sent an electric current across the entire planet with still stands to this day. He kept working in exile until his ultimate death. Clearly someone, somewhere, covered up Tesla's life and work deliberately for the sake of profiting off of fossil fiel. This much is clear, whether it was a conspiracy or just a greedy family is up in the air, but I put my money on the later.

Come on dude, use paragraphs.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2011-05-06 19:48:37 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:20:53 by Jenova's Witness »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2011-05-07 16:12:42 »
im sorry but its a bitch to type from a phone as it is.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2011-05-07 17:36:35 »

Then don't.

Nothing on these forums is urgent, particularly in CU. Wait until you have access to something with a physical keyboard before you post.

Also, this problem illustrates why anyone who thinks tablets are currently capable of replacing actual computers should be shot. Or left to die of pancreatic cancer.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #118 on: 2011-05-08 14:53:55 »

Does your phone not have a carriage return or something? I mean, honestly. I often type from a Blackberry, and I don't have any trouble.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2011-05-08 15:38:40 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13325845

Another reason you don't want 2 conflicting religions in the same place (take note politicians, you idiots).  Especially a religion which outlaws the other and tells its supporters to rise up and take over.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2011-05-08 18:52:16 »
Does your phone not have a carriage return or something? I mean, honestly. I often type from a Blackberry, and I don't have any trouble.

thats not the problem. The problem is whenever I press return on my phones web browser this text box glitches out for some weird as reason and everything won't stop shaking til I refresh. Even if I wanted to continue typing blindly it will scroll me to the top over and over so I cant see. Don't know why.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2011-05-08 22:19:37 »
thats not the problem. The problem is whenever I press return on my phones web browser this text box glitches out for some weird as reason and everything won't stop shaking til I refresh. Even if I wanted to continue typing blindly it will scroll me to the top over and over so I cant see. Don't know why.

Is there a reason why you have to make posts using your phone?

Phones, even smartphones, aren't designed for this. You should be using a computer.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2011-05-09 15:09:04 »
well right now I can post from a computer because I am house sitting, but my main computer is fried and my backup  comp is a laggy peice of crap so i have been using my phone with wifi for internet usage. anyway i broke my previous post into paragraphs just for the heck of it
« Last Edit: 2011-05-09 15:12:03 by yarLson »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2011-05-09 20:25:31 »
well right now I can post from a computer because I am house sitting, but my main computer is fried and my backup  comp is a laggy peice of crap so i have been using my phone with wifi for internet usage. anyway i broke my previous post into paragraphs just for the heck of it

You should have bought a Mac.