Author Topic: Christian fundamentalists in Britain  (Read 51282 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: Christian fundamentalists in Britain
« Reply #50 on: 2011-04-27 15:02:46 »
In all fairness, there is a difference between believing in a religion and butchering everything it stands for...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2011-04-27 15:18:43 »
In all fairness, there is a difference between believing in a religion and butchering everything it stands for...

Yes there is, and we should be thankful that, in the West, most people completely ignore what the religions they claim to believe in actually stand for and instead adopt a largely secular moral system.

My last post illustrates what happens when people take their holy books seriously instead of just picking out the bits they like and saying that the bits they don't like are metaphors.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2011-04-27 15:32:30 »
Any point in which a person or people become obsessed with something is always bad.  If you're obsessed with your religion you will go on crusades to murder those who are "unbelievers".  You will have protests at the funerals of Soldiers.  You will strap yourselves with bombs, because your religion is the one and only way and you're retarded.

The exact same can't be said about the other side though.  There are no stories of devout atheists killing mass amounts of people.  They are, however, just as insanely annoying as the devout religious types.

We should all just be Hindu

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2011-04-27 15:45:10 »
We should all just be Hindu

There are plenty of ultra-violent, ultra-racist Hindus.

Granted, Hindu extremism and nationalism is usually a little more complicated than simply hating someone because they're of a different religion (as with the Protestant/Catholic situation in Northern Ireland, there are ethnic and social elements to it), and it hasn't been quite as much of a problem historically as Christian and Islamic extremism, for various reasons, but Hinduism isn't the peaceful religion that a lot of Westerners think it is.

Hell, even Buddhists sometimes do violence in the name of their religion. Just look at the mess in Sri Lanka.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #54 on: 2011-04-27 16:31:18 »
Watching that this thread at least started out quite calm and respectful, I was interested in posing a bit of rhetoric to improve my understanding. I'm sure these ideas are not new by any means, so I'm curious what some of the standard counter-points are.

1) From my limited understand, the scientific approach relies on repeatable, observable experiments. There are many things we can't observe directly, so the best we can do is observe the things around them (e.g. fundamental elements of matter, or black holes). Where is the flaw in trying to draw a parallel between this and a "higher power"? 

2) Now to side-step the actual question of if religion is real. It has been accepted by many people that homosexuality is not a choice--it's just the way some people are. It's natural and, so long as it's not hurting anyone, there's nothing wrong with it. Of course this sort of "live and let live" idea can extend to most any inclination people have. What could be said, then, to someone who tried to draw a parallel to that and religious belief? It has been reported by psychological studies that we are hard-wired to have religious belief (e.g. applying meaning to random events). So, if following the natural tendency to believe in religion doesn't hurt anyone, is it any different from following a tendency to be (fill in the blank)?

Like I said, I'm sure these points have been raised countless times by others before me. But I hope some thoughtful feedback can help me grow in understanding.

Observing the observable when talking about a higher power is like trying to learn about the Sun by studying the Moon.  You can learn about the sun this way, but it is not the same as studying the sun itself.

While official psychological organizations have declassified Homosexuality as a mental disorder, the exact process by which an individual becomes (is) a homosexual is more complicated, not completely known, and IS influenced by the environment (the psychological definition of environment).  I mean no disrespect/intolerance, I’m speaking in science – Homosexuality is like a combination of Alcoholism and Sickle Cell anemia in terms of genotypes/phenotypes.  Basically there is a genetic explanation involving alleles, carriers, and expressed traits for homosexuality, however, there is not a 1.0 correlation between identical twins and homosexuality.  For fraternal twins, the correlation coefficient is like .27 and for identical twins it is like .63.  Of course, this is not very PC, so most people never hear about these things.

Religious belief operated independently of genetics (although people with certain genetic profiles are more or less likely to be believers or nonbelievers just as some are more likely to be gamblers).  The very nature of religion and spirituality, is something I believe is influenced by genetics and environment, but not dependent on genes or upbringing.  I’d be interested in knowing specifically what studied you are referring to (are these articles peer-reviewed? Are there any potentially confounding variables?).  Many natural tendencies for behavior DO hurt people.  If everyone followed their natural tendencies, I imagine the world would be a very dangerous and dreadful place. 

Secular Moral System…no better than a Religious moral system (given the fact there are hundreds of each type, each responsible for many horrible and wonderful things).  A person needs to develop their own system of morals, but then again, who the hell trusts people with such a task.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2011-04-28 01:08:25 »
My last post illustrates what happens when people take their holy books seriously instead of just picking out the bits they like and saying that the bits they don't like are metaphors.

As far as Christianity goes (I don't want to run the risk of speaking for other religions as well), that's not 100% true.  Extremists take certain fragments of the bible extremely seriously (hence becoming extremists :P) and seem to be completely oblivious to the rest.

In the example of Christian fundamentalists condemning gay people: Yes, the bible does condemn homosexuality.  I don't know why.  But the bible also tells you very clearly (and it emphasizes this far more than the homosexuality thing) not to judge other people and to "love your neighbor".  The "neighbor" bit, according to what I was taught, actually is a metaphor in this context, and supposedly refers to every person you ever encounter.

If I were God, and I was talking to the guy holding the "God hates fags" sign in your second picture, I would probably say some variation of "Go to Hell and mind your own business."

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2011-04-28 14:39:01 »
As far as Christianity goes (I don't want to run the risk of speaking for other religions as well), that's not 100% true.  Extremists take certain fragments of the bible extremely seriously (hence becoming extremists :P) and seem to be completely oblivious to the rest.

But don't "liberal" Christians do exactly the same thing? The only difference is that they pick different bits to take seriously and different bits to ignore.

And as a rule, the "fundamentalist" types take a bigger proportion of it seriously.

In the example of Christian fundamentalists condemning gay people: Yes, the bible does condemn homosexuality.  I don't know why.  But the bible also tells you very clearly (and it emphasizes this far more than the homosexuality thing) not to judge other people and to "love your neighbor".  The "neighbor" bit, according to what I was taught, actually is a metaphor in this context, and supposedly refers to every person you ever encounter.

And here's the problem. The Bible was written by lots of different people and some parts of it are very vague. As a result, someone can find a Bible passage to justify just about anything.

The reason why that's very bad is because people who are already that way inclined will read the Bible (or the Koran, or whatever) and their prejudice will turn into a crusade, because they see "God" as commanding them to wipe out whichever people or behaviour that they don't like. Taking religion can seriously massively multiply any hatreds a person already has. Homophobes will cease to find homosexuality as merely repulsive and will start to see it as a great evil that will cause the downfall of mankind like it caused the downfall of Sodom and Gomorrah. Antisemites will cease to be merely paranoid and will see the Jews as Christ-killers who are forever cursed and are forever the enemies of Christendom. Muslims who are inclined towards antisemitism will read this:

The Day of Judgement will not come until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say, ‘O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews

This is also in the Hamas charter (note how it says "Jews" rather than "Israelis" or "Zionists"). Apparently, the majority of the Palestinian population sees fit to vote for a party that believes this.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 14:42:00 by Kudistos Megistos »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2011-04-28 15:13:56 »
But don't "liberal" Christians do exactly the same thing? The only difference is that they pick different bits to take seriously and different bits to ignore.

That's quite a sweeping statement you make there.  At least give the benefit of a doubt to these poor people.  There must be plenty of Christians out there who don't knowingly ignore parts of the bible.  (Accidentally overlooking minor details is something else.)

But as a liberal Christian myself, you kinda got me there.  The beginning of Genesis can be loosely paraphrased as "God created the earth in seven days.  Man was created on the sixth day."  Not possible.  Either those "days" are a metaphor lost in translation, or God created the Earth in such a way that it sure damn looks like it took millions upon millions of years to develop (fossils and everything).  Or maybe vast amounts of DMT were involved.  I don't know.

I always excuse this by saying, "... Whatever.  The bible isn't supposed to be a science textbook."  So I guess you could say, on some level, I do ignore some parts of the bible.  Or perhaps I just have such strong faith that I believe in a religion even where it doesn't appear to make sense.  You decide.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2011-04-28 15:43:21 »
That's quite a sweeping statement you make there.  At least give the benefit of a doubt to these poor people.  There must be plenty of Christians out there who don't knowingly ignore parts of the bible.  (Accidentally overlooking minor details is something else.)

Then one wonders why they bother to call themselves Christians, or why they bother to take anything in the Bible seriously at all. If they profess a religion, they should know more about it.

But as a liberal Christian myself, you kinda got me there.  The beginning of Genesis can be loosely paraphrased as "God created the earth in seven days.  Man was created on the sixth day."  Not possible.  Either those "days" are a metaphor lost in translation, or God created the Earth in such a way that it sure damn looks like it took millions upon millions of years to develop (fossils and everything).  Or maybe vast amounts of DMT were involved.  I don't know.

I always excuse this by saying, "... Whatever.  The bible isn't supposed to be a science textbook."  So I guess you could say, on some level, I do ignore some parts of the bible.  Or perhaps I just have such strong faith that I believe in a religion even where it doesn't appear to make sense.  You decide.

I think it might be both.

But why, if people accept that there are obvious flaws in it, do some of them still see it as a good moral guide? Exactly what authority does it have if you accept that it was written by fallible humans and is not actually the work of any God? Why bother with it at all? Why not look elsewhere for a moral guide, to literature that isn't so full of vagueness or contradictions?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #59 on: 2011-04-28 16:26:47 »
I'm going to chime in here not having read what all's come before so forgive me if this has been brought up. I tend to stay away from religious debates because of the close-mindedness of many atheists. I've run into many people whose greatest argument is "There can't possibly be a God and you can't prove that there is" then just ignore everything I have to say about the subject.

The creation story in the Bible is honestly like any other creation story. It attempts to give an explanation of why things are the way they are. It might be largely fictional, especially in the time it took to do certain things. Biblical scholars agree with a large degree of certainty that Moses commissioned Genesis to be written along with the remainder of the Pentateuch. It was all oral tradition passed down in a father-to-son manner. I'm not sure anything can be taken as 100% fact until the story of Abraham. This includes Eden, the Great Flood, and the Tower of Babel. These stories were either made up to fill in a gap of history or composed of some half-truths of what really happened as a way to explain how it all went down.

How could you explain to a bunch of mentally underdeveloped proto-humans that their planets took billions of years to form and for them to evolve into what they are today. They have no concept of "billions" of anything nor evolution. The story of creation basically glosses over all that and just says "God made it in six days". Seven was also a "complete" number to the Israelites so it might mean "God created the Earth [in the fullness of time]" or some such thing. Adam may very well have been the first human that God made contact with. I completely believe that God directed evolution, at whatever speed he chose to do it, to create man and all the other life. Life's mechanics are too intricate and too varied to have developed at random. Evolution without a guiding force has some HUGE problems with it.

The Great Flood likely did occur. There are lots of cultures that developed a story involving a flood that demolished the land. This may have been what happened to Atlantis. Genesis leads us to believe that only one family survived this flood. This might be the case, but if this were so then the entire Earth was not flooded. Just a portion of it was. A problem arose with what happened after the flood to create all the different languages. The Tower of Babel story was written to give an explanation of that too. It was possibly influenced by the tower of Etemenanki and added in to Genesis after the Babylonian captivity. It's never referenced anywhere else in the Bible other than those few verses that tell the story. All the various sources also have inconsistencies in its height too. The story doesn't make much sense later either. If God's purpose was to stop man from being able to all communicate with each other then just giving new languages wasn't the best way to do it. Practically any language can be translated into another language and allow people of different languages to communicate. This happens later in Genesis when Joseph calls for a Egyptian<->Hebrew interpreter.

So why are there different languages? It may have been possible that there once was one language that all men spoke and they've deviated over time. It's more likely that men developed over a wide area of the Earth and just began creating their own languages isolated from each other. But then this view contradicts the Eden story so an explanation needed to be given. Bottom line was it wasn't part of the original writings of Genesis.

Then one wonders why they bother to call themselves Christians, or why they bother to take anything in the Bible seriously at all. If they profess a religion, they should know more about it.

Can you honestly say you know EVERYTHING about science and evolution? Can you explain how gravity works? Maybe you can, many cannot. There are plenty of atheists that know next to nothing about their world-view as well.

But why, if people accept that there are obvious flaws in it, do some of them still see it as a good moral guide? Exactly what authority does it have if you accept that it was written by fallible humans and is not actually the work of any God? Why bother with it at all? Why not look elsewhere for a moral guide, to literature that isn't so full of vagueness or contradictions?

I see this statement as a contradiction. If you think the Bible was written by "fallible humans" (some of it is), then why advocate looking at other literature, written by a different set of fallible humans, as a different moral guide? You'd have to ask the Council of Trent why they included what they did. The Old Testament was compiled as a set of laws and history of the Chosen people before Christ came. After that it requires faith to believe that the New Testament is a faithful account of the teachings of Jesus and what the first century of Christianity looked like. There is a large amount of evidence to prove that there WAS a rabbi named Jesus (other than the shroud of Turin). That's as far as fact can take you. The rest is faith almost in the way that you have faith that the Earth will continue to revolve around the sun. You have no control over that and you just accept that it will continue happening.

If any of these statements didn't make a lot of sense, acknowledge the fact that I'm not a trained scholar or teacher nor do I have the greatest grasp on the English language. I also tend to write things out of order so I may have missed a point that I meant to make and forgot I didn't add it. I know what I believe, but I'm still working on how to explain it to others.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2011-04-28 19:18:22 »
I'm going to chime in here not having read what all's come before so forgive me if this has been brought up. I tend to stay away from religious debates because of the close-mindedness of many atheists. I've run into many people whose greatest argument is "There can't possibly be a God and you can't prove that there is" then just ignore everything I have to say about the subject.

Really?

I hear these stories a lot, especially from Americans: "an atheist said he was 100% certainly right and that there was no way that there could ever be anything that could be called God and then he tried to put me into a gas chamber".

But I have never heard any atheist, in real life, in the old media or on the interbutts, who has said "there can't possibly be a God". All of them agree that the chance of there being a God is lower than the chance of there not being a God, but I've heard none say what you just said.

Clearly, we live in different worlds.

The creation story in the Bible is honestly like any other creation story. It attempts to give an explanation of why things are the way they are. It might be largely fictional, especially in the time it took to do certain things. Biblical scholars agree with a large degree of certainty that Moses commissioned Genesis to be written along with the remainder of the Pentateuch. It was all oral tradition passed down in a father-to-son manner. I'm not sure anything can be taken as 100% fact until the story of Abraham. This includes Eden, the Great Flood, and the Tower of Babel. These stories were either made up to fill in a gap of history or composed of some half-truths of what really happened as a way to explain how it all went down.

I'm fairly sure that nothing before Abraham is true, except for things that might be true purely by co-incidence. Most of the stuff after Abraham is false too. It's interesting that the other literate cultures in the Middle East don't mention the huge, historic events that are mentioned in the Bible. The Egyptians, for example, say nothing about any conflict with the Jews, and Israeli archaeologists have found no evidence for the exodus.

How could you explain to a bunch of mentally underdeveloped proto-humans that their planets took billions of years to form and for them to evolve into what they are today. They have no concept of "billions" of anything nor evolution. The story of creation basically glosses over all that and just says "God made it in six days".

Was the order in which things were created also too hard for these people to understand? Genesis seems to imply that the Earth is older than the sun and that there were birds before land animals.

Evolution without a guiding force has some HUGE problems with it.

I don't see any problems with it at all.

However, I've noticed that a lot of creationists, no matter how intelligent or well-educated, seem to have very little knowledge about evolution and seem to believe that the theory of evolution states things that it absolutely does not state. I therefore can't help but wonder how many people are wilfully ignorant of the theory.

The Great Flood likely did occur.

Indeed it did. One occurred in Japan a few months ago, and in south-east Asia a few years ago. Many must have occurred in the eastern Mediterranean or in areas whose myths would have influenced the Jews. If you're thinking of saying that the kind of tsunamis we see today are not of the same order of magnitude, try to think of how the Japanese tsunami would have seemed to an ancient, primitive people who thought the Earth was the size of Belgium. Then imagine how this story would have been elaborated over time. They'd report the story as if the entire world had been flooded.

Since catastrophic tsunamis are so common, it's no surprise that myths of this kind should exist in many cultures.

So why are there different languages? It may have been possible that there once was one language that all men spoke and they've deviated over time. It's more likely that men developed over a wide area of the Earth and just began creating their own languages isolated from each other.

This is a very well studied topic. There's a whole field dedicated to it. I happen to find philology very interesting. However, in philology, the idea that all languages came from the same source is actually quite controversial. It's perfectly possible that complex language arose after humans split off from each other.

Can you honestly say you know EVERYTHING about science and evolution?

No, but I don't need to. I know enough for me to be confident that they offer a much better explanation of the world than any religious text does.

Can you explain how gravity works? Maybe you can, many cannot. There are plenty of atheists that know next to nothing about their world-view as well.

This is true, but trivial. Many people believe true things for the wrong reasons.

And the fact that many atheists don't know their shit doesn't let Christians or Muslims or Scientologists off the hook. It's merely a tu quoque.

Annnnnd Christians have far less to learn than we do. They only need one book. It's not a fair comparison! >:(

I see this statement as a contradiction. If you think the Bible was written by "fallible humans" (some of it is), then why advocate looking at other literature, written by a different set of fallible humans, as a different moral guide?

Because other literature admits to being written by fallible humans, thus preventing people from saying that any or the views they choose to adopt are in fact the will of God.

There is also plenty of literature that doesn't contradict itself, isn't the work of primitive people and doesn't show massive historical inaccuracies. All moral guides are fallible, but some more than others.

You'd have to ask the Council of Trent why they included what they did.

I've just sent them an email. They haven't replied yet, but I assume their answer will be that they included what was most politically convenient.

The Old Testament was compiled as a set of laws and history of the Chosen people before Christ came. After that it requires faith to believe that the New Testament is a faithful account of the teachings of Jesus and what the first century of Christianity looked like.

It requires not so much faith as double-think.

There is a large amount of evidence to prove that there WAS a rabbi named Jesus (other than the shroud of Turin). That's as far as fact can take you. The rest is faith almost in the way that you have faith that the Earth will continue to revolve around the sun. You have no control over that and you just accept that it will continue happening.

For the Earth to stop revolving around the Sun in the near future would require either an unexpected cataclysmic event, and we have no evidence that one of those is going to happen, or a complete contradiction of everything we know about stars and Newton's first law of motion. It therefore seems to me that believing that the Earth will continue to revolve around the Sun, at least for as long as we are alive, is a very well-grounded belief.

To believe the Gospels means believing a set of miracles, most of which were present in other myths that were popular in that region at that time, and a set of books that not only contradict independent sources (there was no King Herod alive at that time, and if there were, it seems unlikely that no Roman historian would have cared to remark that he killed every newborn baby in Judea), but even contradict each other, and were written 100 years after the events they describe. It also requires believing in the wandering Jew (has anyone found him? He must be tired by now), since Jesus said he'd come back during the lifetime of at least one person present.

To compare believing in all of that to believing that the Earth will continue to revolve around the sun is somewhat questionable.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2011-04-28 19:51:28 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great

I think you will find he did exist.

And I really don't understand why this is a thread based on Christian fundamentalists when they are the least of the religious problems in the UK and europe at the moment.

As I said before, God exists because the alternative explanations for the universe existing can be every bit as fantastic.

Sigh.

Edited to remain civil.

-Bosola
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 21:16:09 by Bosola »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2011-04-28 20:14:56 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great

I think you will find he did exist.  Yes a lot of the bible is fiction but you should do your research before you think you know everything.

I love how you try to take every opportunity to take me down a peg. I also love how your seething hatred causes you to be overeager and make mistakes.

I didn't say that Herod didn't exist, I said he wasn't alive at that time. It looks like he died ever so slightly too early. If he was still alive, he was in his last years and knew it; some Jewish kid from a tiny village somewhere trying to usurp him wouldn't have been a concern since he'd have known that he'd be dead before the child was able to talk.

There is certainly no record of him ordering the mass murder of babies.

As I said before, God exists because the alternative explanations for the universe existing can be every bit as fantastic.  You don't know.  I don't know.  You think you know enough to make an informed opinion but you don't.  End of.

Wait, now you believe in God?

So that's why you were so vexed about my suggestion that humans might one day know how the universe was created! God lives in the gaps, so when we know everything, he disappears.

And I really don't understand why this is a thread based on Christian fundamentalists when they are the least of the religious problems in the UK and europe at the moment.

It's because the programme in question was about Christians.

Anyway, I made this thread because I was surprised that such people existed in such numbers. We all know that there are insane Muslims all over Britain; that isn't news to anyone. But it comes as a shock to many that a significant number of insane Christians exist.

Sigh.

Edited to remain civil.

-Bosola
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 21:16:21 by Bosola »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #63 on: 2011-04-28 20:20:38 »
Faith in the Bible - No
Faith in God - Yes
Faith in man - No
Faith in morality (self) - Yes
Faith in morality (mankind) - No
etc.
etc.

It's hard for anyone to say "Christians this, and Christians that," just as it is hard to say Buddhists this, Muslims that, etc.  For every human being, there is a unique religious belief.  Yes, some beliefs resemble one another more than others, but there are likely as many differences between Christian X and Christian Y as there are between Christian X and Muslim X, or Muslim Y and Athiest X.  They aren't the same differences of course, but they're certainly enough to prevent them from being considered the same.

You're practically denouncing all members of all religions, billions of people in one fell swoop.  "Well, I'm fairly certain not one of these 4 billion people hold any reasonable beliefs."

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 2011-04-28 20:47:16 »
Will you two knock it off? I have better things to do than clean up this crap. Yes, we know the two of you don't like each other. Give it a rest.

admin edit: You are blue dammit, leave red alone.

Fine! I never wanted to be red anyway!

On a more pleasant note, I agree with Kudistos' objection to NFITC1 - very few atheists are as stubborn and arrogant as the ones he has in mind. Most of us keep ourselves to ourselves - but that's why you don't notice us.

In much the same way, the only Christians I've noticed are the aggressive evangelists, or those who keep telling me I'm going to go to hell for my lifestyle. I don't assume most Christians are nearly this nutty, though.

Also, on the matter of 'days' in the bible - the official Catholic position is that 'days' represent 'epochs'.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 21:16:52 by Bosola »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2011-04-28 21:04:07 »
Really?
I hear these stories a lot, especially from Americans: "an atheist said he was 100% certainly right and that there was no way that there could ever be anything that could be called God and then he tried to put me into a gas chamber".
But I have never heard any atheist, in real life, in the old media or on the interbutts, who has said "there can't possibly be a God". All of them agree that the chance of there being a God is lower than the chance of there not being a God, but I've heard none say what you just said.
Clearly, we live in different worlds.
I have never met an agnostic I didn’t like. And I think those are more like what you describe. “We will never be able to prove it, and it's highly unlikely” is their motto.  But the professed atheists I’ve talked to are set on attempting to convert me, once they find out I am not an atheist. I find it as annoying as any other religious person trying to convert me. The ones I’ve met with just don’t want to accept that I don’t happen to believe what they believe.

But I’ll also state that I’ve met with a small sampling of atheists. I am sure there are ones out there not set on conversion. Just like how not all Christians are crazy fundamentalists. I just happen to have been unfortunate in the ones I’ve dealt with.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 2011-04-28 21:18:39 »
More likely: you've encountered lots of atheists, but the ones who don't care about your religion haven't said much.

It's a simple principle. I only remember the people who zealously disagree with me, because they're the only ones who are going to raise my attention by making a fuss in the first place.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #67 on: 2011-04-28 21:26:16 »
Kudistos, I'm not going to ignore you, but you've written too many points for me to logically confront at the moment. I'll get back to you.

On a more pleasant note, I agree with Kudistos' objection to NFITC1 - very few atheists are as stubborn and arrogant as the ones he has in mind. Most of us keep ourselves to ourselves - but that's why you don't notice us.

I'm just going to say that I've met many people that I've mentioned. Even in their casual conversations sometimes they'll go off on why they think God can't exist. Not to say that ALL of them are like that (in actuality they might be in the minority), just the ones that are seem to band together.

In much the same way, the only Christians I've noticed are the aggressive evangelists, or those who keep telling me I'm going to go to hell for my lifestyle. I don't assume most Christians are nearly this nutty, though.

Thank you for not lumping all of us into that category. I disapprove of hell-bound evangelism as well. Christians are called to win people to the faith rather than scare them away from punishment (which, oddly, at the beginning of Acts is exactly what the first apostles did).

Also, on the matter of 'days' in the bible - the official Catholic position is that 'days' represent 'epochs'.

This is the only thing that makes sense. "Epochs" is one of those nice unquantifiable words that means as long as you want it to mean. I don't like that people still teach that it was literally days.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2011-04-28 21:42:36 »
Faith in morality (self) - Yes
Faith in morality (mankind) - No

You're practically denouncing all members of all religions, billions of people in one fell swoop.  "Well, I'm fairly certain not one of these 4 billion people hold any reasonable beliefs."

No, no. I'm sure they hold some rational beliefs. Nearly all of them seem to agree that breathing air is useful, for example.

However, every single one of them holds unreasonable beliefs about the supernatural.

I have never met an agnostic I didn’t like.

I've met plenty.

Of course, I'm talking here about those self-professed agnostics who are unaware that agnosticism is an answer to a completely different question from theism and atheism and is therefore incompatible with neither. These people tend to adopt a very localised scepticism (they aren't agnostic about the tooth fairy) and confuse justified belief with blind faith.

If these people were consistent in their belief, they'd be Pyrrhonian sceptics, since they seem to assert that if one can't be 100% certain about something, one must be in a state of complete confusion. These people are usually first year philosophy students who think they're the world's greatest geniuses because they realised that we can't be completely certain about things.

Little do they know that they are nearly all atheists and that nearly all atheists are agnostics. Ho ho!

There are very few members of the top right group.

And yes, I'm aware that the word "gnostic" usually means something else and that it isn't a commonly accepted word for the position contrary to agnosticism, but it's a useful way of illustrating the concept and I'm commandeering it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2011-04-28 21:45:41 »
I have never met an agnostic I didn’t like.

nor have I, and I am one.  Agnostic is the rational viewpoint when presented with such a lack of facts.  Athiesm is slightly bigoted that it can simply say with almost absolute certainty what is and is not.  (ALMOST I said).  And religionists are the other way, often to the point where they believe fairy tales over logic.

Agnostics imho are the ones with a brain and real understanding because they have reached the conclusion that based on the available evidence there simply is no way to know or reach a conclusion.  I have many ideas and theories, and I have an idea of which are likely or unlikely, but that's all they are... ideas.  Science cannot answer the major questions, it just has ideas.  So do I. So does everyone. 
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 21:47:33 by DLPB »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2011-04-28 21:48:09 »
Athiesm is slightly bigoted that it can simply say with almost absolute certainty what is and is not.

Please explain what's wrong with saying things with almost absolute certainty. I'm dying to hear it.

(ALMOST I said).

Don't worry. Unlike some people, I wouldn't wish to use such intellectually dishonest debating tactics.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011-04-28 21:56:08 »
Please explain what's wrong with saying things with almost absolute certainty. I'm dying to hear it.

Because you can possibly be wrong in your statement, the almost being a margin for error ? If you ask me what's the color of the shirt of a person I've never seen, I'm not gonna say things like "it's blue", or "it's red". I'll just tell you that I don't know. It's the same if you asked me if a god exists : I'll tell you I don't know. I completely agree with DLPB here.

Also, this pic you posted (sorry for having to quote a pic, but it's hard not to in this case) :

is hardly clever. Being agnostic doesn't mean you're dumb, you know. I do know that apples grow on trees and that the Easter bunny doesn't exist. Doesn't keep me from saying that I don't know whether a god exists or not. The funny thing is, I was mostly agreeing with you until you brought up agnosticism :P So you can actually put me in the agnostic atheist category.

And the nice thing when you're an agnostic, is that you can be friend with both sides ^^ (if you can endure the fact that they'll try to convert you to their beliefs)
« Last Edit: 2011-04-28 22:17:27 by Armorvil »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2011-04-28 22:15:47 »
Because you can possibly be wrong in your statement ?

That's where the "almost" comes into play.

If you ask me what's the color of the shirt of a person I've never seen, I'm not gonna say things like "it's blue", or "it's red". I'll just tell you that I don't know. It's the same if you asked me if a god exists : I'll tell you I don't know. I completely agree with DLPB here.

In that situation one could not say anything with any certainty. But that's not a comparable situation to anything we're talking about.

Being agnostic doesn't mean you're dumb, you know. I do know that apples grow on trees and that the Easter bunny doesn't exist.

How do you know that apples grow on trees? Can you disprove Descartes evil demon?

And how can you know the Easter Bunny doesn't exist? We all know that the Easter Bunny avoids being seen. Surely you're not saying that the fact that there is no evidence for the Easter Bunny and that the idea sounds silly is a reason to believe it doesn't exist? Because the same logic could be applied to God.

You can actually put me in the agnostic atheist category.

Then what is the problem? The picture is about people who would refuse to be put in the agnostic atheist category because they define themselves as superior to atheists.

BTW, I've noticed a pattern over the past few years

The self-proclaimed agnostics don't like the idea of degrees of certainty. To them, unless you can be 100% certain, then it's blind faith and you're an idiot and a faithhead for not sitting on the fence. They set up a false dichotomy between absolute certainty and useless guessing. There isn't; there's a continuum between very rational beliefs that are grounded in evidence and/or logic, and can be held with confidence, and completely idiotic positions of blind faith.

Most epistemologists today are giving some ground to scepticism. They admit that we can't have certainty. But they also say that we can have beliefs that are, to all intents and purposes, as good as knowledge. It's immature to throw a tantrum and say that if there's even the slightest possibility of being wrong, we should just say "I dunno lol" and adopt a position of complete bewilderment.

Actually, I've noticed something else, too.

A lot of agnostics assert the position that we can't know whether God exists with such certainty that it becomes a faith position. As I said to Seifer earlier, aren't you claiming to have knowledge if you say that we can't know something? After all, the implication is that you know that we can't know something. That's a claim to knowledge like any other. The most outspoken agnostics hold a faith-based position that we can't know certain things. It's hilariously ironic.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2011-04-28 22:23:53 »
That's where the "almost" comes into play.

So you're not an atheist ; you're an agnostic. An atheist is someone who is 100% certain that god doesn't exist.

In that situation one could not say anything with any certainty. But that's not a comparable situation to anything we're talking about.

Actually, it's a lot more comparable than you think.

And how can you know the Easter Bunny doesn't exist? We all know that the Easter Bunny avoids being seen. Surely you're not saying that the fact that there is no evidence for the Easter Bunny and that the idea sounds silly is a reason to believe it doesn't exist? Because the same logic could be applied to God.

With this logic of yours, you can also put the "YUO CAN'T KNOW!!1" cap on the theist and atheist regarding this question.

Once again, if you have "degrees of certainty", then you're also unsure about this fact and thus, also an agnostic.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2011-04-28 22:25:45 »
So you're not an atheist ; you're an agnostic. An atheist is someone who is 100% certain that god doesn't exist.