Author Topic: New Battle Backgrounds!!!  (Read 12372 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
New Battle Backgrounds!!!
« on: 2010-05-30 03:36:50 »
Looking ULTRA good right now, I'm talkin realism BEYOND BELIEF....maybe too much lol,to me ingame it just looks great, I mean GREAT.I only have the floor and most upper textures done, just need the second most upper, forebackground, and backbackground(termed it like that for lack of a better way of saying it, call the grammar nazis for this one)

Ill post some screens later.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-30 09:57:50 by jeffdamann »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: Working on the first grass world map BattleBackgrounds
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-30 06:07:22 »
Any battle background redone with the new battle models and text in the battle is enough to make the game look its best. :) Why is the screens later?? Make it now!! ;D

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Re: Working on the first grass world map BattleBackgrounds
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-30 09:56:25 »
Any battle background redone with the new battle models and text in the battle is enough to make the game look its best. :) Why is the screens later?? Make it now!! ;D

As you wish....

Got a lot of touch-up to do tomorrow, but I can do a semi-realease of what may be a battle scene baclground change project if anyone would like...

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: New Battle Backgrounds!!!
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-30 11:16:01 »
That's really busy. I can't see anything....

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-30 13:09:50 »
I've gotta agree with halkun.   I think the background looks really good, but the grass is a little too much.   

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-30 14:20:21 »
Well as you said in your first post. Maybe too much?? :) I can see that maybe if you tone the color down a little it will look good. Still nice work if you ask me. :D

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-30 15:09:40 »
steal the grass from the WMRP that i made, and tone it down a bit.  Photorealistic textures for the lose...im sorry but no one is going this direction with FF7. If you are planning on getting into the TA release, try and stay true to the original material, and go as high quality as possible.

lee

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-30 16:26:11 »
Wow, this is harsh. It sure looks busy, but blame the screenshots for that. I believe that in-game, with camera movements and all, those textures will look great.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-30 16:28:26 by Armorvil »

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-30 16:59:40 »
Hmm I myself think its great too but I think the battle models don't go with the background because they're kind of "shady" or dark. That's only for me though.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-30 18:07:53 »
Remember guys, this is final by no means, this is only my work for like 2 hours I had at the end of last night, finished my rough draft, took some screens, and went to bed to await criticism.

Didn't really understand what you meant by busy, but my wife said you meant it was too detailed and drew your attention away from the rest of the scene. If this is so it is easily correctable,

Is the grass your only problem with this?(As I said I'm missing half of the dirt hills behind the fight,will be fixed and redrawn(they are the original dirt hills lol))

How about the grass with the dirt hills overlaid on it? Its diff grass than for the floor?

How about the mountain/sky... Gimme suggestions and I'll fix it today.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-30 18:09:56 »
I like the mountains and sky, but your wife is correct.   The grass draws your attention away from the fight, when it should be complimenting it

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-30 18:10:31 »
There are mountain textures in the worldmap retexture project too that looks good. But don't take my word for it I don't know much about backgrounds.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-30 18:19:38 »
By way of curiosity, is there a way to re-render the image using maybe filetrs or such to actually rerender the image pixel by pixel with some minor changes? That would be a very nice function to actually redraw the entire image with filters.(In photoshop or any other editor)

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-30 18:58:23 »
Would it be possible in the new driver to generate the shells and fins for a fur/grass shader?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-30 19:06:22 »
Now that would be a very nice approach..just have a base texture underneath and then do that. And the fur would make MANY creatures look better, but I don't see this happening soon..

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-30 19:17:28 »
Well at least the method you said can be done on texturing TA new Red XIII model. That would look awesome! ;D

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-30 19:25:33 »
After you said that I imagined red with awesome fur so I scrolled up to my screenshots, and it looked as if someone had shaved Red like a poodle with a mohawk lol..(Maybe he was Mr T's dog?)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #17 on: 2010-05-30 22:22:09 »
lol i think the problem is its to good, it makes the models look bad (well... badder, compared to what we got nowadays)

still, tis beautiful, well done :D

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-05-31 01:59:07 »
Pretty good, like the others said though, it's too busy and doesn't fit with the models Maybe have a cleaner grass, with less random foliage.

Remember, this is FF7, not crysis you know.

Hell, it would probably fit well here :lol:

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-05-31 02:19:03 »
steal the grass from the WMRP that i made, and tone it down a bit.  Photorealistic textures for the lose...im sorry but no one is going this direction with FF7. If you are planning on getting into the TA release, try and stay true to the original material, and go as high quality as possible.

lee

I agree, photorealism doesn't suit the style of the game at all. Try the WMRP textures for world map battle backgrounds.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-05-31 05:48:25 »
I think semi photo realism is ok. But not with the ff7 graphics engines. Sorta why I've been teaching myself unreal developer kit. If I can master it enough to semi recreate ff7 that would be slawsome (ok if anyone could guess which PSP game slawsome came from, you get a cookie)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-05-31 07:57:02 »
I think semi photo realism is ok. But not with the ff7 graphics engines. Sorta why I've been teaching myself unreal developer kit. If I can master it enough to semi recreate ff7 that would be slawsome (ok if anyone could guess which PSP game slawsome came from, you get a cookie)

Brooktown High

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-06-10 00:46:46 »
It looks like the problem is that it looks GREAT from the top down view but most of the time the battle is watched from an edge-on, side view.
So find (or make) a texture that is similar to the original, isn't complicated, and looks really good from all angles (especially the extreme ones).

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-06-10 03:39:28 »
Zoom out the grass textures and you'll probably get a good result.
Right now a grass "leaf" is bigger than a foot.