Author Topic: FF8 - Enhanced Videos  (Read 8856 times)

seifertemp

FF8 - Enhanced Videos
« on: 2009-07-28 04:26:39 »
Same as FF7 project really, except this one depends on how and if aali proceeds.

In any case this is just here as a reminder of the difference betwen the original and these new video's which can be resized with video enhancer and then have colour placed back in with sony vegas and then encoded to h264

You will noticed the difference immediately with far less pixellation and since the PC movies are 640*448 to begin with, they are much better than the crappy FF7 PC Vids which were themselves encoded off the PSX 320*224 Str Video.

The test file is here >

http://rapidshare.com/files/260856878/FF8-fmv_enhanced.avi.html

==MOD EDIT==
That apostrophe was annoying me :P
« Last Edit: 2009-07-30 09:18:34 by halkun »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: FF8 - Enhanced Video's
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-28 04:39:39 »
Have you finished the FF7 ones?

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-28 04:42:44 »
Yeah i'd like that, I use grimmys, But for the ones Grimmy doesn't have, I need better ones haha

seifertemp

« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-28 04:51:19 »
Have you finished the FF7 ones?

havent started.  I dont want to start it for noting and im not sure if or when aalis driver will do it....

But I may start to update them anyway but there are so many things to do

Cait sith
Retranslation

I think I will start the reencoding of 7 fmv soon :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-28 05:01:16 »
Oh, right.  H.264.   I think if you mix H.264 with MP3 it will work... I can't remember if that's possible or not though.

I mean really, unless you have the ORIGINAL videos that Square made in '97, the videos will never be perfect.  At some point good enough really is good enough.  And XVid is good enough

seifertemp

« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-28 05:21:07 »
its always better to go with newer formats.  Xvid is wishy washy.  Not up to the standard of a proper organisation like sony.  At lower bitrates h264 outperforms the lot.

Aalis driver is broke for h264 completely with new releases sadly....

But I await the day when its back to working :P

and you are right.... we will never have perfect so long as they have the original files.  Eidos must have them too....
« Last Edit: 2009-07-28 05:22:43 by seifertemp »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-28 06:25:07 »
Oh, right.  H.264.   I think if you mix H.264 with MP3 it will work... I can't remember if that's possible or not though.

I mean really, unless you have the ORIGINAL videos that Square made in '97, the videos will never be perfect.  At some point good enough really is good enough.  And XVid is good enough

I agree.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-28 06:39:32 »
yes H264 is completely broken in releases after 0.6.2b (0.5 to 0.6.2b work with H264 without audio or with different audio). But H264 isnt the only codec that doesnt work, Lots of more codecs dont work like Snow, Theora, MSU and lots of other codecs (although some of them arnt supported by ffmpeg anyway but Snow and Theora are) and there are also some audio codecs that crash as well like AAC seems to crash the program and so do other variations like flaac and Apple lossless etc. I spent around 9 days working on different codecs and encoders and have found that so far Xvid, H263+ and Sorenson are currently the best codecs for encoding the videos with compression (a few lossless codecs do work but the comparisson isnt even worth talking about since you would end up with a 350mb+ opening alone) until H264 is supported, Also i did managed to once get X264 working with the latest driver but the things i had to do to get it working seemed to be random and the quality sucked but the video did work which was kind of strange and it wouldnt work with audio either.

seifertemp

« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-28 13:30:39 »
Yeah it is def unstable....  kudos on your work kramner....  8-)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-28 21:41:29 »
Upscaled video is good, but the FF8PC videos weren't as bad as the FF7PC ones were to need fixing or upscaling.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-28 22:19:59 »
i would also agree the FF8 videos arnt as important as the FF7 videos since like you say the quality on them is pretty decent already but i still think its worth doing at some point because there is always room for improvment and with custom resolutions the quality may look bad on higher resoultion moniters (i only play games on my 1280x1024 max res moniter so to me the original video and a upscaled video will only look slightly better but on somone who really high res's it may not look as good).

Also on the subject of FF7 video i have also discovered that X264 video can work on certian settings for around 30seconds but the quality is really bad (and thats being nice, Its pretty much a blur and you cant even tell aries face is her's) and there isnt any sound so its proberly not worth doing but i thought you might want to know anyway. But for now i will be sticking with Xvid if i make any releases and H263+ for myself since it can do nearly as good as H264 (its not as good but it can come pretty close if i make the output about 10mb bigger then the H264 by increasing the bitrate and other settings),

I am also currently looking at seeing what i can do with the FF7 PS3 Tech Demo video as well, I have looked around the net but so far there appears to only be 1 source and that is the camera source and modifyed versions of the camera source (like IGN and gamespot), You can tell they are all from the CAM because of the artifcats on the video and also i think the clapping at the end of the video sort of gives it away as well. But anyway i am working on trying to remove some of the artifacts and also remove the color noise since there is actually a suprising amount but its hard since i am having to do nearly every frame by itself and there are over 2000 frames to the video.

seifertemp

« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-29 01:40:01 »
yup, this mod is simply for those with high res screens.  It looks very poor on a 1280*1024, way too much pixellation and what is more, the player ff8 uses (or decoder if you will)  is a bit shoddy.

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-29 10:28:38 »
This is great!

Looks very good on my laptop, 1280x800 screen

Congrats for the work, looking forward to see more

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-07-29 11:00:50 »
the sample seems to be down right now (rapidshare limit), I also agree the player in FF8 isnt very good but then again for its time it proberly was but i have personally never been a big fan of .BIK movies (mainly because most encoders and decoders cant read the format apart from Radtools which is the offical program for bik's). I just hope that when Aali's driver for FF8 is done that we will be able to play custom movies (and i mean custom AVI movies and not custom BIK movies)

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-07-30 08:19:27 »
I want more...  :-P