Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts 1 vs KH2  (Read 7299 times)

meesbaker

• View Profile
Kingdom Hearts 1 vs KH2
« on: 2014-12-11 22:05:52 »
I got back to playing Kingdom Hearts 2 some days ago and I must say that the level design is kind of disappointing. I remember Kh1 had levels that were difficult to get through despite the combat there was platforming, places where you could fall of, small puzzles, basically more areas and ways to go...

Now in kh2 you never need to think the slightest bit. Every field in every world is perfectly guided by virtual walls, you basically go the linear main way and do the battles. Run and fight, that's the whole game.

Of course kh2 has much better combat, characters and a really cinematic feel to it that is greatly designed but just remembering how much there was to find only in traverse town and amazing levels like tarzan jungle, netherlands and the huge labyrinth that hollow bastion was endgame I'm not sure if I really prefer the 2nd one. Endgame was almos as long as the other worlds combined, on the 3h world record speedrun hollow bastion starts after 2 hours.

kh2 has no single level like this, also I liked the arena much more in kh1.

Now Im surprised what you think my friends ;) For me kh2 is still better because I mainly like story/chars and soundtrack much more but kh1 had a LOT of stuff I'm missing. Also the annoying oxiii battles from final mix are no near a replacement for battles like kurt zisa.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11 22:07:42 by meesbaker »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Hearts 1 vs KH2
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-11 22:11:54 »
I find KH1 almost unplayable thanks to its unwieldy mess of a camera. KH2 is better, but the combat is still bland. I always liked the stories, but the series didn't become fun IMO until Birth by Sleep, which made the battles far more strategic.

Moving to General, since this is a Square Enix game.

vayneruel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-11 22:43:28 »
For me, KH1 has a better history than KH2, but KH2 has a better battle system than KH1.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-11 23:50:07 »
Interesting, I heard that bbs was great many times now. I know that a java based psp emulator exists so maybe I should test that. I must ask once more, am I the only one who found the level design degenerating hard from kh1 to kh2? I mean kh1 had climbing, jumping, small puzzles while kh2 is changing screen and fight, I found kh1 much more difficult but that may be partly the camera as Covarr mentioned.

Furthermore I loved the titan battles in kh1. The kh2 arena has only cerberus and the ff characters use the same as in the first one. Also platinum match was a horrific challenge while kh2 sephiroth can be looped and trinity/limit form shot. I also find that kh2 is the overall better game but they cut a lot of stuff and made things easier. And that I do not appreciate.

I will try bbs if I get a psp environment to work.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-11 23:56:32 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:31:32 by dkma841 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-12 02:22:46 »
I know that a java based psp emulator exists

I will try bbs if I get a psp environment to work.

If you're talking about jpcsp, don't use it. Use ppsspp instead.

Also yes, BbS is really awesome. I finished 1/3 of it.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-12 04:48:25 »
I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1 more in every way (Story, worlds, atmosphere, main villain) except for the improvements to combat made in KH2. I look forward to playing BBS for the first time in KH 2.5.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-12 09:05:20 »
I agree that KH is better then KH2. KH has a simple cute story, not to complex but with good story twists, great for kids and those who love Disney films. In KH2 they wanted every thing bigger. The problem: they made the character relationships ways to complex and one story twist after another and you ending up entirely confused. The ridicules thing is that this is intestinal but the denouement of the mysteries isn't satisfying and often came up with other questions. So in the end I didn't know if I have played a game for kids or grown ups. Maybe they did it this way to be able to make more games with this franchise.
The reason why I hate the friendship theme is that they focus on it too much and ignore other motivations the heroes could have. Sora, Rikku and Kari are old enough to feel love. Even worse is Axel with his obsession for Roxas, which let him look as if he has tender feelings for Roxas. If they made the story more for a grown up audience then they have to expand the variety of motivations for each characters action. I'm sigh of playing seven games of the franchise and they are all about friendship and emotional sissies.
Squarenix has proven that they can do it better with The World ends with you. Where a question is 'what is friendship'. A great game.
KH could be so much better if they hadn't focused on it so much. I do love the games, but only because of Disney and the battles. The story is always the same: someone is fake and then he's Ansem, then is this Ansem fake and the true and not true Ansem, which is in fact Xehanort all the time, from different time periods will appear and in the end we see a bay with moon with its mirror on the see and one person says to another 'Wait, you are Ansem?'.  :-X

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-12-12 09:56:49 »
@Kaldarasha
Don't you think Sora and Kairi are in love? Is that never worded this way? Also I agree with most of your points it really always turns out like you said :D Only I wonder, did you not like that kh2 felt more adult? Sora gained some little coolness, the hardest thing for me to replay kh1 would be those high pitched voices and chibi-chars with babyfaces. ^^

Thx to all of you for your opinions and Vgr, that emu looks good.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-12-16 23:42:37 »
Mees for BBS I would wait for 2.5 remix if it isn't out yet they have the final mix one included.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-12-18 01:12:49 »
Yes, 2.5 is out but I do not like buying a game twice for the sub-content that is bundled. I have kh2 fm and it is technically stronger on pcsx2. I saw the comparison, 1080p and 60fps is impossible to beat with just some upscaled faces and a washy ost, pcsx2 produces a sharper image and much sharper animations. Like watching hobbit 3 in hfr vs dvd.

Mortael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-12-19 00:27:47 »
When I played KH1, I was challenged to play expert mode on my first blind-run... I lost count of how many times I died, but I succeeded, and I felt very achieved/accomplished, with KH2 however... I felt disappointed with the gameplay a little... I found it to be easier, and also, Sephiroth was more of a pushover than in KH1

However... KH2 had a less tedious grind, KH1 felt like it took forever

Overall though..? KH1. It was challenging, perhaps one of the most difficult games I've ever played, albeit a blind expert play!

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-12-19 03:08:21 »
Cool, I see. It's a little offtopic but as you seem to look for a serious challenge I suggest you try witcher 2. Many people take its dark mode for a bigger challenge than dark souls. Insane is a little simpler but requires a perfect run without dying. I finished both runs and feel like I can play pacman for the next two years now :D