Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII+  (Read 7091 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VII+
« on: 2013-01-01 18:21:08 »
I've been thinking about this for a while now. What I want to do, is combine a few mods/ideas together to make a new experience. What I was thinking was:

Aeris patch -  Optional, she will need to be "resurrected" through a side quest

Cloudless party - Play with any character you want, except for certain scenes

ATE's from FF9 - Moogles next save points if an ATE is available. For example one in Wall Market to show you what Barret and Tifa are up to.

Battle square Dissidia mode - fight the other party members. (Is that actually doable?)

I wanted to get some ideas/feelings from you guys first before I did anything. I think this will be a big one to do, so I may need a team. Anyone up for it?

This time I want to discuss things through first to get a clear idea of what people want.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Final Fantasy VII+
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-01 23:40:32 »
Cloudless party - Play with any character you want, except for certain scenes

While you would only need to edit the save to add cloud to the list of people allowed to be placed in the PHS to enable the player to have a party without cloud. there is a small problem with the way this works in stock FF7. the game only allows the player controllable model to be cloud, tifa or cid. this applys to both the field and world maps areas. the games does not crash just if you don't have cloud, tifa or cid in your party you see no model.

The ATE's would be a nice addition, not sure how you would do that. (mostly field script changes i would think). this could be have a slight problem if the cloudless issue above is not fixed first.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-02 01:49:15 »
ATE isn't too difficult. set a location, if location is hit, set a bit and activate a scene change and an automated scene ( there are many in the game already ) and then back to the initial location. since the bit is now set, and the location checks against this it wont trigger again

this sounds like Nightmare done differently, more like a total conversion than just an enhancement.

Cloudless party works if you add animations and models and stuff to every field but thats a massively boring thing to actually do.

battle square I have no idea.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-02 14:07:38 »
Battle square Dissidia mode - fight the other party members. (Is that actually doable?)

I am envisioning some incredibly complex AI at play here. At best it wouldn't quite turn out the way you'd expect it to. You'd have to add each character to the scene.bin and assign them to different battle formations. You can't dynamically create one (terrible shame) during game-play by any known means.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-14 01:43:21 »
While you would only need to edit the save to add cloud to the list of people allowed to be placed in the PHS to enable the player to have a party without cloud. there is a small problem with the way this works in stock FF7. the game only allows the player controllable model to be cloud, tifa or cid. this applys to both the field and world maps areas. the games does not crash just if you don't have cloud, tifa or cid in your party you see no model.

This is partially correct. I tested this a long time ago (check my post history or something if anyone is interested) and in scenes where a character has a path mapped, the last party member swapped into the party will be the controllable one. For example, in Cosmo Canyon you're able to control any character in the first screen of the town, but if it's someone like Yuffie they'll start off at the candle. When you try to go into another screen they'll be invisible.

Occasionally you can control the character even when they're invisible, and occasionally when they're visible they won't be able to trigger the transition between screens (meaning you can enter a town and become completely stuck. This happens with Aerith in Kalm.) It's a pretty messy area to be honest, it seems to work differently in almost every place.

Also note that having Cid or Tifa in the party doesn't mean the game will default to them being displayed on the screen (except on the world map, where even if none of the 3 leaders are present Cloud will appear). The exact mechanics aren't really clear. Battles work flawlessly without Cloud but this kind of thing will need some serious field editing to work. It'd be an excellent mod but a lot of tedium would be involved.

In short, don't untick Cloud's "unswappable" box in Black Chocobo unless you've backed up your save and can be bothered with experimentation.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-14 09:29:54 »
would this work with the new version of FFVII?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #6 on: 2013-01-14 17:23:51 »
I've also seen much of the quirky aftermath of eliminating Cloud from the party.  But Kalm and Cosmo Canyon both seem to be places that generate such issues with high frequency.  I've had instances where I was literally incapable of entering Cosmo Canyon regardless of whom was in my party, what model was showing up on the screen, whether they were invisible or not - this occurred after traveling from Costa Del Sol to Corel without Cloud in the party (got to the operator's box for the bridge on the train tracks - hidden menu optioned Cloud into the party temporarily and then kicked him back out).  Upon making it to Cosmo Canyon, everything would happen normally until I tried to cross through the gates into Cosmo Canyon.  I suppose something else could of have caused this, but it seems like if you don't have Cloud in the party when certain switches/flags are being activated or deactivated, it will cause you problems later in the game.

You (ultima espio) seem to be well-versed in field modifications so I'm sure you could get it done - it just might be one of those seemingly simple issues that turns into a nightmare for whatever reason.  I imagine others could shed more light on this as I really don't know what I'm talking about other than anecdotal experiences.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2013-01-14 18:57:06 »
I've had some problems when entering towns without Cloud. The easiest way to fix it is to remember who you replaced Cloud with. Before you enter a problem area swich Cloud back with the one you replaced him with.

Example:
You leave coste d sol with Cloud in party.
Switch Cloud for Red XIII.
Approach Cosmo Canyon.
Switch Red XIII out with Cloud.
If you want Red in your party now switch him for someone other than Cloud.
Enter Cosmo C.

I think this would work. The problem is that you forget who you replaced Cloud with. And if you yet again replace this character with another, this character now works as Cloud and should be the one Cloud replaces to avoid gitches. Basically, in a nutshell, the game remembers (kinda) what slot Cloud (or party leader) is in. At least I got the impression it works like this. I dunno if it's in the savemap though.