Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3025353 times)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R01)
« Reply #525 on: 2014-08-24 20:44:33 »
I have purposely not played FF7 since DLPB started this project, and I couldn't be more excited to play it through with the new translation. I can only imagine the amount of time and work this must have taken you guys. I know ETA's have been thrown around in the past, but do you guys think that you are about ready to call this thing "done"?

My body is ready.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 2014-08-24 20:53:58 »
I thought we had all this done and dusted months ago, but the reality is it is much harder than it seems.  I went through all dialogue like 4 times before the main playthrough, and that threw up 255 questions for Luksy.  And then Covarr went through it, and I did again...  and then a further playthrough still threw up another 47 questions for Luksy and numerous for Covarr.

But it's now at a point where I can consider it as close as it will ever really get.  I mean, if I spent another 10 years on it, it would be better... but the margins are now so close that it would largely be a waste of time to go through it again.

Is it perfect?  No.  And I am sure people playing through may find some errors.  They should be very few and far between in the next release, but any small things can easily be corrected.  Overall, it's what I would call professional. And it is certainly 300% better than the original.

I am giving it the status "done".

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 2014-08-24 21:12:37 »
Then R02 must be around the corner!

Congratulations!

And thanks Covarr for a very interesting behind the scene, other than for contributing to the project.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 2014-08-24 21:45:13 »
When I started this project I only intended to improve "the bad bits", because I knew what a task it would be otherwise.  And it became apparent almost immediately that you can't just polish the odd part here and there.  Way too many faults for that.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #529 on: 2014-08-24 22:37:52 »
Man, I love hearing about the nitty gritty of fan translations. Not so much on fansubs these days, but on video games cause there's so much more that goes into it in my experience. The professionalism you guys have shown reminds me of the Mother 3 project, which took a rather long time due to similar issues (the dreaded coding side of video game fan translations that separate it so strongly from fansubs) and is of roughly equal overall quality in my opinion.

You have totally replaced the Mother 3 project as my favorite fan translation and I wish I could better express my appreciation. Never really dreamed something like this would actually happen. :D

(Not that I shouldn't still learn Japanese there are quite a few games that will never get this level of dedication that I'd like to play... anything Woolsey ever touched and some of the Tales of games that never made the import list top the list.)

Kindo

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 2014-08-25 22:39:36 »
I am in the progress of replaying FF7, and now I find out that there's finally a completed relocalization of the entire game! Unfortunately, I have the Steam version of the game, and any attempt at converting it to the '98 version has ended poorly, with all kinds of graphical anomalies and what not. Am I right in assuming that there are no current plans to make Reunion and/or Beacause to work with the Steam version of the game?

Either way, thank you so much for all your hard work. It's truly impressive.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 2014-08-25 22:47:28 »
The next release will support Steam

Kindo

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 2014-08-25 22:55:22 »
Goodness! Thank you for replying. I shall endeavour to sit tight and wait for the next release, then - or maybe plan for two playthroughs.  ;)

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 2014-08-25 23:18:50 »
I have been searching for a bit, but I have not found my answer. So I will just ask. Have you elected a modder for Iscar? I would love to do it. I think I have shown some skill in ground up creation. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 2014-08-26 00:11:15 »
It's a tough one this... I can get script done but will need help with other stuff if im gonna complete this.  I do have a model already but i'll contact you in pm tomorrow.

Kindo

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 2014-08-26 00:33:27 »
In connection to my previous question: What's the easiest way to be notified when R02 is released? Any social media on which you announce these kind of news, for example?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 2014-08-26 00:34:08 »
Here.  Although I will be going around a lot of forums when this is done.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #537 on: 2014-08-29 00:44:48 »
By the way, is there any documentation for the mini game models so we can make other models compatible with them?
« Last Edit: 2014-08-29 00:47:05 by cmh175 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 2014-08-29 03:30:59 »
The corruption seems to be an issue with lgp tools, I repacked the lgp files and everything works again with 7H. There is also an unneeded file in the Chocobo.lgp which should be harmless but shouldn't be there (sorry this is my fault  :-[) I guess it was 0.rsd ... :|

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 2014-08-29 07:47:34 »
Luksy's lgp tools update works better :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: 2014-08-30 14:17:58 »
We're entering the final stages now.  I am just waiting for one fix to ts, and for the last of the questions to be put to bed.  I've been sorting some inconsistencies today with town/city and so on.  I've also made a few script fixes (like Cloud and Aerith both saying "The Promised Land!!" at the same time. This is approaching release day very soon.

In meantime, another of my favourites:

Old
Code: [Select]
The Shinra people told us
that everyone would be happy
once the reactor was built.
But all it brought us was sadness…”
------------------------------
“Tell me, young man.”
“Can't we be happy without
having to sacrifice anything?”
“Can't time pass
without unhappiness?”

New
Mayor
“The people at Shin-Ra said
  that a Mako reactor would
  bring us all happiness.”{NEW}
“And yet,all it ever did bring
  us was grief.”
#xy 216 32
Mayor
“Tell me,young man…”
#xy 171 32
“Can we not attain
  happiness without sacrifice?”
#xy 208 32
“Can we not live life
  without suffering?”
« Last Edit: 2014-08-30 14:21:12 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: 2014-08-31 13:15:20 »
Another fix.  This time the soldier on the right at the bridge of Mt Nibl never got to have his dialogue seen, because the soldier on the left ( Cloud in the true story) is blocking his way.  I've moved them into better positions so both dialogues can be seen, and at the same time still making sure the player can't leave the area.  The lost dialogue is:

old
{TIFA}
“It gets harder from here!
Follow me!”

“I'm all right.
You be careful too, Guide.”

new
{TIFA}
“Okay,from here on it gets
  a lot tougher. Keep up!”
“We're fine. It's her that
  needs to be careful.”

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: 2014-09-01 21:16:03 »
OK, so...  all that is left now is the questions for Luksy, and the update to ts.  Luksy is busy with work at the moment, so in meantime I'm seeing what else I can fix up.

The retranslation is done, all checking is done, it's not going to be improved much now at all.  I'm not ever making any full revisions to the text again.  The only changes after R02 will be minor, and largely by others spotting them (I'm confident these errors are an absolute minority if they exist).
« Last Edit: 2014-09-01 21:18:17 by DLPB »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 2014-09-02 05:25:13 »
Great news all around!

Let's hope you can push this one out and that it can be a huge success! I am also hoping that the new retranslation will one day be fully voiced! That's be great!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 2014-09-06 10:38:16 »
While I'm waiting for Luksy I've decided to start the 99 1:35 Soldier quest.  It's very simple really...  the problem is the time it takes.  A lot of it is just copy and paste, and Mystere could maybe cut that down a bit too, but even then I'm thinking of perhaps doing this by editing the files by hex in batch rather than Makou Reactor... if it's possible, since this is entirely a duplication effort.  The only things that really change are the savemap vars and the soldier coords.

It really is just a 1:1 copy.  Of course, the fun part is choosing the locations.  I've already got one of them done.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 2014-09-06 14:45:55 »
While I'm waiting for Luksy I've decided to start the 99 1:35 Soldier quest.  It's very simple really...  the problem is the time it takes.  A lot of it is just copy and paste, and Mystere could maybe cut that down a bit too, but even then I'm thinking of perhaps doing this by editing the files by hex in batch rather than Makou Reactor... if it's possible, since this is entirely a duplication effort.  The only things that really change are the savemap vars and the soldier coords.

It really is just a 1:1 copy.  Of course, the fun part is choosing the locations.  I've already got one of them done.
99 is a lot.

Kindo

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: 2014-09-06 21:40:32 »
I'm looking forward to this so much.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 2014-09-10 14:05:10 »
Luksy has agreed to make me a small program to add in the 99 Soldier quest. Since all this is duplication it can be done without affecting any other mod, and can be patched to any flevel without conflict (assuming a modder hasn't used the same vars I have.  Nightmare 7 doesn't).

Luksy is doing the annoying (and hardest) part of creating the program to edit flevel, and I'm supplying him the script  to use , the fields to add the script to, and the coords of the soldiers (the longest and most fun part).

It should be a fun little mod when done :)
« Last Edit: 2014-09-10 20:25:17 by DLPB »

Zenrei02

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: 2014-09-11 13:39:57 »
I'm waiting on this. I will buy the Steam version once you guys are done. What's the status on the Iscar mod? Is that ready to go or will that need to be added later?

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #549 on: 2014-09-11 16:26:10 »
Luksy has agreed to make me a small program to add in the 99 Soldier quest. Since all this is duplication it can be done without affecting any other mod, and can be patched to any flevel without conflict (assuming a modder hasn't used the same vars I have.  Nightmare 7 doesn't).

Luksy is doing the annoying (and hardest) part of creating the program to edit flevel, and I'm supplying him the script  to use , the fields to add the script to, and the coords of the soldiers (the longest and most fun part).

It should be a fun little mod when done :)

I just hope someone does a guide. I've never been able to perfect complete anything but certain platformers (Mario, 1st Gen Spyro, Banjo Kazooie, etc) without a guide so... XDD