Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008079 times)

AssailantLF

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #4650 on: 2019-06-13 21:05:36 »
Clearly, I'm not going to start reprogramming and rehashing on the basis of a few disgruntled people with the most bizarre complaints ever. You are free to use the mod or not - but I am not going to cater to your whims. I'm free to make this mod how I see fit.
It's unfathomable to me how anyone can look at all the benefits in the changes, pick out a few ridiculous niggles, and then come here demanding change.  I'd use stronger words, but then I'd be moderated again.

Whoa, I just want to be clear that I didn't/don't intend to sound indignant or demanding in any way, and if I did I truly apologize. My intent was to test and elaborate on what Tails said, since I wasn't sure what he meant at first. As you say, it is your mod that you can do what you please with, and I'm grateful that it exists at all. This is easily one of my favorite modding projects that exists.

That said, I completely disagree that these complaints are bizarre or outlandish at all. Looking back, the only thing I regret/changed on is calling the menu transitions a "big issue" in bold, and saying that you should necessarily fix it in the next release.

As for the speed, I am not sure what exactly you're seeing but it isn't in line with what I am - or the vast majority of people. Not only is menu access the same speed for items, when using page up and down, it's actually faster - as it has 4 items per page and not 3. Clearly, your install isn't right.

As far as I can tell, the only thing he could've meant by 'slow menu' is the menu transitions taking a fraction of a second, rather than being nearly instantaneous as he's used to.

You state it's a fraction of a second different for opening menus (due to making it smooth transition) and yet you seem to think this translates to losing or winning a battle.  Utter nonsense.
I'm not going to be changing it.

Unless the battle logic is paused/unaffected by the pause caused by smooth menu transitions, then it absolutely could cost you a battle, especially if the enemy has strong enough attacks, or if your team is set-up poorly, or if you just make a human mistake. Now, I practically agree with you that this is a trivial non-issue, but for someone like Tails apparently it is. I don't think his experience is invalid, unless he was mistaken in some way.

Also, you never addressed the lack of the red-triangle 'all' indicator. Is there a rational behind removing this? Whatever the reason, it is similarly a small/trivial issue, but I don't think it can be denied that it provides useful information at a glance. Its absence means you have to scroll over a spell to verify it has 'all', or you have to remember which spells have it.

I hope the 'stronger words' bit didn't have to do with making constructive criticism and suggesting optional features.  Again, I'm gonna go out of my way to say that I find all of these issues trivial in the grand scheme. This mod(pack?) is huge and has far more benefits and features than I'm even aware of. My nitpicks are made out of love and a desire for the project to be as complete and appealing to the most people as possible.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13 21:14:59 by AssailantLF »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: 2019-06-13 21:29:01 »
It's never going to appeal to everyone. I learned that a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

It's not your post that really bothered me.  It's his.

I'd need a whole lot more than "menu fraction of a second slower" to consider changing it.  I mean, think about the logic of what you're saying.

And I've not made changes without considering them.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13 21:31:11 by DLPB »

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: 2019-06-13 21:56:30 »
It's not your post that really bothered me.  It's his.

Fair enough, sorry for my wall of text.

I'd need a whole lot more than "menu fraction of a second slower" to consider changing it.  I mean, think about the logic of what you're saying.

I'll try to argue for it less abstractly. Let's say you're in a battle and you intend to start off by using a summon, but you accidentally scroll down one too far and pick items instead, so you back out, scroll up, and pick your magic at last. Without the menu enhancements, you can do a much faster sequence of button inputs to get this done, whereas with them you have to wait for the transitions in-between some inputs, and the battle is taking X fractions of a second longer (where X is how many times you open a magic/sum/item menu), which could lead to additional enemy attacks (unless the battle timer is paused during the transitions).

...But, to argue against myself, I bet one could play through the entire game on the fastest battle speed and active ATB with menu enhancements and have no issues, which is why I consider this trivial. Still, it makes a difference, however slight.

Omnislash

• View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: 2019-06-13 23:43:16 »
Hello.
I've had my eye on this project for years, friends who played it loved it. I've been set on replaying VII with this relocalization (And the mod that improves the backgrounds, not sure if it's made by the same people) after finishing college since the beginning of it and, now that i did and the remake is just around the corner too,  it's the perfect time. From what i gather R07 is going to be THE version to look out for. Should we expect it to be out in 2019? I'm sure it's going to take as much time as it needs to take, but for me atleast it would help to know if it's realistic to expect to have R07 before the remake.

Thank you to everyone behind this project, in special the translation, it really needed it. I'm Japanese Brazilian and i barely understand Japanese, but my cousins always told me the english version was quite inaccurate.
I wish someone would do the same for Xenogears.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4654 on: 2019-06-14 07:18:37 »
[JOKE-MOOD-ON] DLPB here you must answer like Kitase-san "We don't know ourselves". :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: 2019-06-14 09:53:29 »
Haha ;)

Cloud’s Stripe

• View Profile
[FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #4656 on: 2019-06-14 10:30:45 »

@Tails: Does this look like anything you have in mind? (btw my picture of the menu is cut off, not the menu itself)
I am using The Reunion r05c with the translation, without the menu overhaul (no transparant dialog boxes even & with original names: cfr dialog box layout) along with Remako’s menu upscale (as well as Satsuki’s field & movies, music mod, Sega Chief’s no mouth mod & a Reshade crt filter). I am not using the 60 fps mod beacause it stutters on my end and i’m getting graphical inconsistencies as well. Everything runs perfectly fine, and I can’t believe how good it looks, sounds and plays. You can tweak it to be as ‘original’ as you want, by ticking some boxes during the Reunion r05c installation. I share your dislike of the menu overhaul, but it’s entirely optional. I played a PAL psx version of FFVII in ‘97 so i guess i didn’t even notice any slowdown in the menus ;)

ps: @DLPD i’m sorry if this has been adressed before (could hardly find anything about it by searching qhimm though) but would you take Tim Rogers video translations into account in future Reunion updates? (i.e. Aerith stating ‘It was the first person I could imagine being together with’ about Zack on the playground and Barret’s non-gendered sneer at Cloud hanging from the bridge instead of saying ‘Stop acting like a girl.’? The insane work he produced making those vids seems like a terrific source/reference for your insane undertaking of translating the game and I am curious how you feel about them? Please ignore this if this is discussed elsewhere, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 2019-06-14 14:14:46 by Cloud’s Stripe »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: 2019-06-14 12:56:22 »
Gendered insults are left alone if they work for the character in context.  I'm not doing any thought police political correctness.  It depends on context and on Charlie Beer's proof read.

Charlie is actively noting things from Tim Rogers as he works through.  The things Tim's found that we haven't are minimal - but we do add them if need be.

Cloud’s Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: 2019-06-14 14:56:04 »
I replayed the first five hours without the translation, and now with. I can only thank you all for clearing up the often incomprehensible dialogue, even in those first few hours (Tifa running up the Shin-Ra stairs had me thinking she had to pee, instead of catching Barret looking up; the search for Cloud’s wig indicating Big Bro is ‘into that’ instead of a whole gym,...).

fyi: I checked Tim’s (literal) translation of the bridge segment:

I know you’re not aiming to make a literal translation. But it’s great to hear Charie Beer is taking Tim’s videos into account, even those two examples: the way Aerith phrases a first crush and Barret’s remark - however few the differences may be- sure add to their character and paint a fuller picture. I love all of this stuff and look forward to your future release(s)!
« Last Edit: 2019-06-14 21:40:08 by Cloud’s Stripe »

Tails

• View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: 2019-06-14 19:38:13 »
@Tails: Does this look like anything you have in mind? (btw my picture of the menu is cut off, not the menu itself)
I am using The Reunion r05c with the translation, without the menu overhaul (no transparant dialog boxes even & with original names: cfr dialog box layout) along with Remako’s menu upscale (as well as Satsuki’s field & movies, music mod, Sega Chief’s no mouth mod & a Reshade crt filter). I am not using the 60 fps mod beacause it stutters on my end and i’m getting graphical inconsistencies as well. Everything runs perfectly fine, and I can’t believe how good it looks, sounds and plays. You can tweak it to be as ‘original’ as you want, by ticking some boxes during the Reunion r05c installation. I share your dislike of the menu overhaul, but it’s entirely optional. I played a PAL psx version of FFVII in ‘97 so i guess i didn’t even notice any slowdown in the menus ;)

Wait, how can you use the translation without the menu overhaul? When I install it, I can only do it alongside Beacause. But yes, this looks perfect!(I also use Remako, but never looked at the other mods you listed.

@DLPD, I only posted that way because you answered someone else after I replied to you, skipping me. First, I only want to be able to use the translation without the menu overhaul, no need to reprogram everything. Second, please take criticism better. In no way I'm being unreasonable and demanding you to cater only to my whims, I'm just stating my dislike for a feature without sugar-coating it. If it bothered you, I'm sorry.

I believe AssailantLF's testing of the menu. Even if the menu overhaul is just a few frames slower, it FEELS off, and it's noticeable. Just like a piece of animation that was made originally in 24 FPS being run at 60 FPS by interpolation, it loses it's "snappiness" and feels weird and slow (it's just an analogy though, I'm not referring to the 60 FPS option or anything regarding the game's FPS).

It's ok if you wont change it, but I do wish I could use only the translation mod and nothing else.

Cloud’s Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: 2019-06-14 22:50:15 »
Wait, how can you use the translation without the menu overhaul? When I install it, I can only do it alongside Beacause. But yes, this looks perfect!

Well, you’re looking at the Reunion menu in those pics. I presumed your (and my) personal dislike concerned the optional restylized menus. All i did was follow this guide (https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/3022387599798577530/) and make sure to check ‘fixed length character names’ in the Reunion setup. As this thread isn’t concerned with other mods, i suggest you take a look around the forums. I hope this helps you out!

ps: As an utterly clueless noob i spent about two weeks reading and searching to get this setup together. Stuff failed a lot, it was interesting! After everything these people do, it’s a miracle they reply even once imo (concerning problems with their program they’re aware of, reiterating with every influx of new users, for whom they’ve written extensive guides ^^)
« Last Edit: 2019-06-14 22:51:57 by Cloud’s Stripe »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: 2019-06-14 23:49:49 »
What you ask might sound easy to you, but it takes an awesome amount of work on my part. Do it yourself with the tools available.  R06 may make it easier for you. Those check boxes above aren't magic.

What on earth makes you think that it's sane to come and gripe over something that small and that it might go down well with me?  Do you know how irritating it is to make thousands and thousands of changes over countless hours to have a post like yours come along?  And if I changed it, there are dozens who'd disagree with you.  Your criticism isn't remotely constructive - and it certainly isn't reporting a bug.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-14 23:55:07 by DLPB »

Tails

• View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: 2019-06-15 04:27:49 »
Well, you’re looking at the Reunion menu in those pics. I presumed your (and my) personal dislike concerned the optional restylized menus. All i did was follow this guide (https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/3022387599798577530/) and make sure to check ‘fixed length character names’ in the Reunion setup. As this thread isn’t concerned with other mods, i suggest you take a look around the forums. I hope this helps you out!

Thank you very much for your help.

What you ask might sound easy to you, but it takes an awesome amount of work on my part. Do it yourself with the tools available.  R06 may make it easier for you. Those check boxes above aren't magic.

What on earth makes you think that it's sane to come and gripe over something that small and that it might go down well with me?  Do you know how irritating it is to make thousands and thousands of changes over countless hours to have a post like yours come along?  And if I changed it, there are dozens who'd disagree with you.  Your criticism isn't remotely constructive - and it certainly isn't reporting a bug.

I will do that.

Sorry once again, then. Good luck with R06c.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4663 on: 2019-06-15 10:07:12 »
Hello.
I've had my eye on this project for years, friends who played it loved it. I've been set on replaying VII with this relocalization (And the mod that improves the backgrounds, not sure if it's made by the same people) after finishing college since the beginning of it and, now that i did and the remake is just around the corner too,  it's the perfect time. From what i gather R07 is going to be THE version to look out for. Should we expect it to be out in 2019? I'm sure it's going to take as much time as it needs to take, but for me atleast it would help to know if it's realistic to expect to have R07 before the remake.

Thank you to everyone behind this project, in special the translation, it really needed it. I'm Japanese Brazilian and i barely understand Japanese, but my cousins always told me the english version was quite inaccurate.
I wish someone would do the same for Xenogears.
You better wait for R06 which will be at least half proof checked but will bring A LOT of improvements. There is no specific date for anything. But R06 is on the way.

Omnislash

• View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: 2019-06-15 23:38:30 »
You better wait for R06 which will be at least half proof checked but will bring A LOT of improvements. There is no specific date for anything. But R06 is on the way.

Thanks for the answer. Yes, i'll consider R06 depending on the timeline, it's the one with all the translation touches in that document by Charlie Beer, right? It's great stuff, the whole thing about how Red XIII was supposed to be pretending to be older all the way until Cosmo Canyon is fascinating.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4665 on: 2019-06-16 10:44:26 »
Thanks for the answer. Yes, i'll consider R06 depending on the timeline, it's the one with all the translation touches in that document by Charlie Beer, right? It's great stuff, the whole thing about how Red XIII was supposed to be pretending to be older all the way until Cosmo Canyon is fascinating.
Absolutely yes. It is super worth it. And not only that, even Barret dialogues and so many other details that we even cannot imagine. Stay tuned.

I'm also excited about the new way that R06 will manage things with their tool.

ExDuelist

• View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: 2019-06-16 12:10:40 »
Does anybody know how to edit the "04-TransStatusShort.txt" hexes inside Reunion r03e? Specifically, i'd want to translate the english words in italian.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: 2019-06-16 12:43:33 »
That will be far easier with R06 - which is designed to aid people in translating to other langs.  I suggest you don't even try messing with that nonsense in earlier versions. It's too much hassle. 

ExDuelist

• View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: 2019-06-16 13:24:44 »
That will be far easier with R06 - which is designed to aid people in translating to other langs.  I suggest you don't even try messing with that nonsense in earlier versions. It's too much hassle.

What if i remove it completely to get status menus directly with the strings i wrote with Touph script? Would that be a problem?

Mypieyourslice

• View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: 2019-06-17 10:03:45 »
Thank you for creating this and helping people out, hopefully me among them. Unfortunately I have an issue which I haven't been able to resolve after much googling and trial/erroring.

I have the steam version and I've used the GC already. I have "two" mods that I'm trying to get to work. The Remako mod, which works fine, and Reunion mod for Beacause, 60 fps and menu overhaul which doesn't even seem to apply after installing it. I've tried installing it with FF7_en.exe in the folder and I've also tried installing it without that .exe in the folder. When I launch the game through 7H (path set to FF7_bc) I get this:

https://imgur.com/a/o6U3l2v (when I preview the post the images don't show so I am linking to them directly)

The text is the same during dialog and in the menu: letters are very bolded and don't even fit on screen/in the menu. Other problems include graphical glitches (the handrails in sector 8 turn red for example) and even my controls get changed for some weird reason. Also, while not sure, I don't even think the retranslation nor the 60 fps patch are applied even though I check them during the install. The other .exe files don't work either, unless it's the regular unmodded .exe which obviously works fine. I've tried merging the texture and reunion folders but that didn't correct anything either. Any help with this would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: 2019-06-17 10:08:03 by Mypieyourslice »

Hyperthesis

• View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: 2019-06-18 11:09:02 »

Speaking of griping over something small, I still cannot stand "Summon" being truncated to "Sum" in the battle command menu. Yes, the menu overhaul mod is great otherwise, and yes I understand sacrifices had to be made. But I can't abide it. I've tried. "Sum" is just plain ugly and, as a FF7 purist, never something I can get used to.

But I won't be an ass and ask you to change your entire mod around for my sake. However, I would very much  like to know if there will be any tools available to change Sum back to Summon myself when R06 launches. To shrink or replace the text, or resize the command menu, or whatever.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: 2019-06-18 11:12:06 »
I can't change it in that case...  the alternative is 100% worse :P  It doesn't fit the box.  So there's nothing you can do.

Changing the box size means altering LOTS of stuff.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4672 on: 2019-06-18 13:44:39 »
Hi DLPB,

IIRC in the Italian modding scene, there was one tool able to automatically change the window size depending on your translated text. Is that a different case?

AssailantLF

• View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: 2019-06-18 14:22:25 »
Thank you for creating this and helping people out, hopefully me among them. Unfortunately I have an issue which I haven't been able to resolve after much googling and trial/erroring.
Any help with this would be appreciated!

Your main problem is that you shouldn't change the executable (.exe), it should stay as ff7.exe. Using ff7_bc.exe is for R03c.

I'll refer you to my post a couple pages back, which should fix everything:

The OP says:
"Q. I use 7th Heaven, and I have this problem...
A. 7th Heaven issues don't belong here."

but, speaking from my own experience, it is compatible with most 7th heaven mods:

0. Start with a clean slate, uninstall FF7, Reunion, and 7th Heaven, and clean registry keys via FF7-REMOVE-Keys.exe
1. Install FF7
2. Install 7th heaven as you would, including whatever 7H mods you want
3. In FF7's directory, rename ff7_en.exe to anything else, like ff7_en_steam.exe
4. Install R05c via its installer
5. Under 7th Heaven Settings, change the "Aali's modpath" (aka Textures path in newer versions) from [ff7-dir]\mods\Textures to [ff7-dir]\mods\Reunion

If you have further issues, I recommend making a thread in the 7th Heaven subforum, as this isn't supposed to be a 7th Heaven help thread.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4674 on: 2019-06-18 16:36:29 »
Hi DLPB,

IIRC in the Italian modding scene, there was one tool able to automatically change the window size depending on your translated text. Is that a different case?

Yes. Dialogue box =/= command box. There was the Hex Documentation around here though... which allowed people to fiddle with a lot of stuff like text spacing, boxes and whatnot. I used that to make "Elemosina" (Zeninage) fit in the command box (among other changes) but i can't seem to find it now.