Author Topic: [FF7PC] Nightmare 7 - Total Game Conversion (1.02)  (Read 275806 times)

johnsonnd

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] Nightmare 7 - Total Game Conversion (1.02)
« Reply #400 on: 2014-09-27 23:19:23 »
I went into the trainer to find omnislash and death spiral also don't work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2014-09-27 23:41:20 »
since the Reunion patcher destroyed my flevel and the backup was just another reunion flevel all the while I had no flevel option whatsoever tagged in the installer

If this is a bug with the installer I need to know what you did and how it "destroyed" your flevel.  Reunion does not edit flevel code (it does replace some fields but this is with Weapon only and only very few files as of R01), it only really changes text.  The backup file would have been there for sure if you had run the installer once before on your changed flevel.  It does not overwrite it a second time, by design, to stop accidental overwrites.

The way you have worded your post seems to be directly stating that the Reunion installer is broken in some way.  The final thing is that your whole project should never have been put in this predicament to begin with, as backups should have been made far far away from the ff7 root folder, and certainly before running an installer on the game.  I have 5 backups of Reunion.  One is here in Sweden with me on datapen, one is on Google Drive, one is on a hidden harddrive in my house, one is on my main computer harddrive, and one is on blurray disc.

I still need to know how the Reunion installer broke your flevel, though, because if it did, that is certainly something that needs looking at, backup or no backup.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #402 on: 2014-09-28 05:31:08 »
That it doesn't overwrite the backup is something that's not obvious (and if you've worked with other stuff that does auto-backups, it either automatically creates a backup(1) or overwrites backups instead of skipping over it) but I concede that's my fault.

However, when you run the installer and deselect everything but menu overhaul itself (no extra MO options or tweaks) not only did it backup everything (FF7.exe, battle.lgp, char.lgp, chocobo.lgp, coaster.lgp, condor.lgp, high-us.lgp, world_us.lgp, kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, window.bin, scene.bin and flevel.lgp) it also started unpacking the flevel with ulgp (which crashed at field 45, because that's the first custom field apparently and ulgp is still not something one can use with modded flevels) which then resulted in a pretty broken flevel. It returned the flevel all the way to the state of the backup flevel in my case which obviously was a disaster. I managed to salvage about 20% of the work by using the windows previous version function since I didn't expect the installers would mess with the files inside the flevel when I had no actual flevel function selected. (Unless MO wants to go and edit all the textboxes, which in itself would make it completely incompatible with any flevel changing mod like NT or N7 and definitely needs to be an extra option)

I pretty much accepted the loss and moved on. I still want to fix the .exe issue but then I'm probably gonna leave the mods for a while.

I'm using 2-1
Last modified 12/31/2012 (BootLoader.exe)
Steam re-release 2012

No, I mean the FF7.exe
The re-release could be an issue but I won't know until you give me the actual FF7.exe modified date

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 2014-09-28 07:55:35 »
MO option alone should not use ulgp (R02 doesn't, but I'll check R01 at later time), and ulgp should not have any issue with modded flevel....  But even so, a crash during that process should also not touch flevel.  In case it does, I'm unclear where your backup was...  from what you're saying, your main flevel and only backup was in data/field, the exact place where the game loads flevel from.-
The backup issue is mentioned in the readme, it's designed to stop people running the installer twice and eliminating the first backup.  For example, if using Reunion on a clean game, all files are backed up in the backup folder and are the clean versions.  They stay there until you manually delete them.  In order to make sure Reunion is backing up the current install, the folder has to be deleted beforehand.  This can prove a real hassle... because installing twice can lead to issues with some mods.  That's regardless of my mod, it's simply the nature of editing an already edited exe-flevel etc with newer versions. Reunion will restore all files from the backup folder before it begins the install process. 

I don't think there is any better way of really doing this...  the real issue here is that installing mods twice over the same files, and mixing mods together, can be a nightmare.

In this case you certainly needed a backup outside of ff7 root folder before installing.  It's an easy and costly mistake to lose your files by forgetting.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-28 08:00:29 by DLPB »

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 2014-09-28 12:32:42 »
10/5/2012 FF7.exe

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #405 on: 2014-09-28 15:43:28 »
MO option alone should not use ulgp (R02 doesn't, but I'll check R01 at later time), and ulgp should not have any issue with modded flevel....  But even so, a crash during that process should also not touch flevel.  In case it does, I'm unclear where your backup was...  from what you're saying, your main flevel and only backup was in data/field, the exact place where the game loads flevel from.-
The backup issue is mentioned in the readme, it's designed to stop people running the installer twice and eliminating the first backup.  For example, if using Reunion on a clean game, all files are backed up in the backup folder and are the clean versions.  They stay there until you manually delete them.  In order to make sure Reunion is backing up the current install, the folder has to be deleted beforehand.  This can prove a real hassle... because installing twice can lead to issues with some mods.  That's regardless of my mod, it's simply the nature of editing an already edited exe-flevel etc with newer versions. Reunion will restore all files from the backup folder before it begins the install process. 

I don't think there is any better way of really doing this...  the real issue here is that installing mods twice over the same files, and mixing mods together, can be a nightmare.

In this case you certainly needed a backup outside of ff7 root folder before installing.  It's an easy and costly mistake to lose your files by forgetting.

The first time I ran the installer, about a week ago when I first noticed the .exe issue and hoped the MO option would fix it, I already saw that the R01 installer messed with the flevel but since it put my current flevel into the backup folder, I figured it would always do that. It didn't so technically my backup was that backup that wasn't created.
The agreement in the installer is nearly unreadable due to that sephiroth model that's placed over it btw and there was no other readme included until after the fact.

10/5/2012 FF7.exe

that's a terribly old ff7.exe and judging by that you probably also have all the other mod files terribly outdated.
Download the core-files from the first page and the flevel from twitter and follow the instructions.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 2014-09-28 15:58:50 »
That would be the exe included in Bootleg 040, I believe.

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 2014-09-28 16:20:39 »
Yup I used bootleg 40

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #408 on: 2014-09-28 16:24:30 »
I can't recommend using Bootleg anymore at this point or even support the version it installs because it's so extremely outdated it's not even funny

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 2014-09-28 17:21:55 »
I did everything you asked and the limit break still does not work. 

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #410 on: 2014-09-28 18:14:58 »
Then I'm at a loss. The target data is correct. The formula is correct. Animation data is right. It works for me, too. I tested the 1-3 and 2-1 version just now.
What you encounter sounds like the target data is corrupted
Can you actually back out of the limit targeting by changing characters?

edit: I went and checked the .exe I uploaded too and it works for me there as well
So there is some sort of conflict on your end
Do you have any other mods installed?
« Last Edit: 2014-09-28 18:21:14 by Tenko Kuugen »

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 2014-09-28 18:37:57 »
I can cancel by switching characters and no I don't have any other mods installed

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 2014-09-28 18:42:16 »
I think I should reinstal without using bootleg.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #413 on: 2014-09-28 18:49:34 »
That shouldn't break anything (At least I hope so)
If the issue persists after manually installing the first page files, it's a conflict with the 2012 version

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 2014-10-01 14:38:21 »
I tried re-installing manually and I ran into a lot of problems.  I did as much as I could manually, but I'm running on a 64bit Windows 8 and 2012 re-release so I couldn't use Aali's custom driver to install the aeris revival pack.  I tried doing everything with bootleg again and I made sure that no new textures were added this time, and I still got the same result. 

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 2014-10-01 14:51:30 »
You should never run a Bootleg install over a previous Bootleg install. It will not work. It is possible to replace the Nightmare files Bootleg uses by the newer ones, just make sure they have the same filename. Unless Kuugen changed the way Nightmare installs (I doubt so), it will work without any problem.

-Vgr

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #416 on: 2014-10-01 16:38:09 »
What are you even doing with the aerith patch? Just follow the first page instructions. It doesn't say anything about installing other mods. I even supply a char.lgp so people don't have to install the aerith mod.

I run 64 bit win7 on the 1998 version and with or without driver, you just paste the files I uploaded on the first page in the right folders.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #417 on: 2014-10-01 16:38:51 »
You should never run a Bootleg install over a previous Bootleg install. It will not work. It is possible to replace the Nightmare files Bootleg uses by the newer ones, just make sure they have the same filename. Unless Kuugen changed the way Nightmare installs (I doubt so), it will work without any problem.

-Vgr

"I doubt so"

DOES NOBODY READ THE FIRST PAGE?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 2014-10-01 16:49:58 »
"I doubt so"

DOES NOBODY READ THE FIRST PAGE?

The answer is no they don't.  People on at least two other forums have made the claim that my Retranslation mod forces them to accept the correct translation for names and places instead of so-called canon.  This, despite the fact I have made it clear for well over two years that this is not the case.  It's also there on the main posts.

People are lazy.  The other day I recall someone asking me a question about my audio mod when the answer was on the first page.  It happens relentlessly and you are best off just ignoring people who ignore the main page and readmes.  Your last few posts indicate you are heading for a coronary.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #419 on: 2014-10-01 16:56:34 »
No, screaming and ripping people's head off is actually less stressful for me than trying to calmly solve their problems.
But I'm just gonna keep a few stock answers around which I will copy paste from now on if people blatantly ignore instructions.

johnsonnd

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 2014-10-01 18:01:13 »
That's my fault. I read one little line wrong where it says "incorporates these mods:"  I thought it said incorporate as in I needed to install these mods. Sorry about that guys. If it makes you feel better I've already tortured myself trying to get all this to work but it should help if I learn to read.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #421 on: 2014-10-01 18:22:27 »
I am removing that line from the OP

YippleDipple

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 2014-10-04 22:14:00 »
I'm sorry that happened Tenko. :-\ As an extremely amateur modder (teaching myself to edit FFVII projects - yours mostly) I partly understand the frustration of losing what you were currently pumping hours into. I thoroughly appreciate your work, and all who are involved in this project.

invie

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 2014-10-08 05:36:18 »
I found a bug, unless this was an intentional or not.

But using potions, Ethers, Etc... Outside of Battle/Combat stat, Heals Normally Example..

A potion heals for 100,  But in battle stat, it will heal 200 Hp as it describes as. same with other items like those.

Unless I did something wrong within the Installation process which is a possibility
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08 05:38:15 by invie »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #424 on: 2014-10-08 05:40:27 »
No, healing items heal LESS outside of battle by design. So yes this is intentional.