Author Topic: System requirements  (Read 8553 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
System requirements
« on: 2009-12-30 04:59:56 »
This may seem like a silly question, or be a question that has been asked already, but does anyone have an idea what the system requirements might be for running FF7 in higher resolutions when the project is finished, and is it likely that FF7 modding will ever reach the point where more than a small number of people will need to update their graphics cards?

I don't play graphically intensive PC games, so I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I wondered whether the amount of detail being put into the models and textures would make it taxing for lower end graphics cards (i.e. ones that currently sell for about $50) to play at resolutions like 1280x960 or 1600x1200.

Of course, I wouldn't want anyone to worry about this; making FF7 look so good that people once again have to think about their systems when choosing which resolution to play it in would be quite an achievement for Team Avalanche :-D

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: System requirements
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-30 05:54:36 »
Well we could always set up a team to use the Crysis dev kit to remake the game.  That could make a ton of people upgrade their graphics card.

But with Aali implementing a cache system in the custom driver, you would have to have a really old card to not be able to play the game in high def.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-30 17:50:34 »
With the texture cache it all really depends on the file size of the final project. I would assume that anyone with a 512mb+ card would be able to run the game just fine with all textures preloaded into the video memory. But that is just a rough guess at this point.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2009-12-30 20:05:42 »
I would be *very* surprised if a card was able to, say, run the SOURCE engine without running the 'new' FF.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-31 03:08:07 »
I would be *very* surprised if a card was able to, say, run the SOURCE engine without running the 'new' FF.

yeah, lol
Code: [Select]
======================
1. System Requirements
======================
Final Fantasy VII has the following minimum system requirements:
Pentium 133 w/ supported 3D accelerator card (4Mb video memory or greater)
    or P166 w/out supported 3D accelerator card (see below)
Intel or 100% Intel-compatible CPU
32 Mb RAM
4x CD-ROM drive
Windows 95
DirectX 5.1 (included on Installation CD)
DirectMedia 5.2 (included on Installation CD)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-12-31 21:55:00 »
32MB of RAM and 4MB of VRAM for a 3D game?

Ah, those old programs were able to make do with so few resources :-D

I predict that in 10 years time, we'll need 10GB of RAM to run notepad.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2010-01-01 02:12:36 »
Yeah, it's a bit silly, really.

That said, I recently got an old 500Mhz machine with 128mb RAM running a small linux variant called Puppy, for a friend's kids. It surfs the internet, deals with OpenOffice, and does just about everything they need a computer for - on completely free, ancient hardware. Makes you wonder how much money and resources we waste just to keep performance up on ever-ballooning applications (being bloated, most of the time, by features we'd never need anyhow).

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-01-01 03:12:53 »
Yeah, it's a bit silly, really.

That said, I recently got an old 500Mhz machine with 128mb RAM running a small linux variant called Puppy, for a friend's kids. It surfs the internet, deals with OpenOffice, and does just about everything they need a computer for - on completely free, ancient hardware. Makes you wonder how much money and resources we waste just to keep performance up on ever-ballooning applications (being bloated, most of the time, by features we'd never need anyhow).

The most insane thing at them moment is that a normal laptop CPU alone uses 35W alone when the GPU uses around 14W, and if you think about it, even a 5W CPU would do the tasks you need but a 35W GPU would let your lappy play some awesome games. As another example I have a cheap&old AMD dual core 45W and a good HD5770 and I'm able to run every new game MAXED. And yeah I tried to make the explanation simple so don't ask too much or the conversation will get too extensive. :P

Most of the blame of all these insanities starts with the new OS's (Vista+) and screen makers (no, really, why would everyone need a 1920x1080 screen on a 15' laptop besides making it impossible to read a single word when the GPU on those machines sometimes struggles to run a slightly more intensive application at 1024x768), i got XP PRO SP2 running quite nicely on a 92MB RAM Pentium 75MHz and 4GB HDD before.

Regarding FF7 the game was originally developed for a console (Playstation 1) that had a 2x CD reader, 33.8MHz CPU, a max resolution of 640×480, 2MB of RAM and 1MB of Video RAM.
Of course during those days, console games were usually optimized for the system they were built for (not that much anymore tho since the XBox360, PS3 and Wii came out) and took 3~5 years (takes 1~3 years nowadays) to develop.
So... yeah the requirements 'couldn't be worlds apart higher than the original system.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-01 03:19:15 by InuRa »

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-02 15:39:51 »
Well we all know that anyone with a working computer has the ability to run FFVII basic but I think it's safe to say almost any computer made in the past 5 years will handle the overhaul without any hiccups whatsoever.
Also, Happy 2010!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-02 17:26:25 »
Well we all know that anyone with a working computer has the ability to run FFVII basic but I think it's safe to say almost any computer made in the past 5 years will handle the overhaul without any hiccups whatsoever.
Also, Happy 2010!
Interesting story, I have a computer from '98. It's got Win98SE on it, 350MHz Pentium II, 64MB ram, and a nVidia Riva 128ZX. FF7 is about the only game it'll run decently, but something tells me it wouldn't be able to handle the overhaul. Probably not even Aali's driver, I don't know what kind of OpenGL support it has.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-02 18:20:36 »
Also, Happy 2010!
Interesting story, I have a computer from '98. It's got Win98SE on it, 350MHz Pentium II, 64MB ram, and a nVidia Riva 128ZX. FF7 is about the only game it'll run decently, but something tells me it wouldn't be able to handle the overhaul. Probably not even Aali's driver, I don't know what kind of OpenGL support it has.

Probably not too well, the overhaul with the cached driver aali is talking about would take up approx 50mb of space i would imagine with the texture compression.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-10 02:19:23 »
Haha well I hope that isn't your only computer.  12 years is a little due for an upgrade in my book.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-10 17:20:57 »
Haha well I hope that isn't your only computer.  12 years is a little due for an upgrade in my book.
Nonono, I barely use the thing anymore. My current computer is about a year old (as of last week), has a Core 2 Duo E7300 2.6GHz, Geforce 9800GT, 4GB RAM, and Windows 7.