Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Shalua Rui: A rebalance (0.3)  (Read 46771 times)

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
[FF7PC-98] Shalua Rui: A rebalance (0.3)
« on: 2010-03-04 00:20:16 »
Version 0.3 has been released!! :-D

http://www.mediafire.com/?ebd7y3qccu7ra07

Videos
---------

Aps battle: http://youtu.be/UzP75GfNsGk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its taken sometime to prep and time to write a batch installer(my first foray into trying to program anything, nothing too fancy but I am learning :P) but I am happy to say that the project is alive and gathering steam.  I have pasted an abridged readme to give a good idea of what the project will bring.  The actual readme goes into more detail about specific spells and such, I just don't want to clog up the forum with it.  If anyone has any specific item questions just let me know.

INSTALLATION
-------------
If you are coming here after the installer has finished, skip this part :-)

TO INSTALL: The installer backs up the files you will be patching(flevel.lgp, kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, scene.bin, and ff7.exe)  for you but it would not hurt to do so yourself.  Move the entire Shalua Rui folder AS IS(Don't extract the files inside the folder, just move the folder) into your Final Fantasy VII folder.  The installer assumes your directory is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII.  If that isn't yours for some reason let me know I will offer some secondary instructions if needed. Otherwise go inside the Shalua Rui folder and then into the flevel folder and double click install.bat.  The installer does most of the work, you will just have to press a key after each file is patched, and click to confirm the patching of kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, scene.bin, and ff7.exe.  I highly recommend patching all 5 files as it will mess up the balance big time if you don't.

INTRODUCTION
-------------
Shalua Rui is my attempt to reblance Final Fantasy 7.  I am sticking with PC for now, with the possibility of PSX support in the future.  I am more concerned with finishing the project at this point.  This readme will go through the version history and explain the major changes in the modification.  If you are really itching to find all the changes you should thouroughly explore the files, I have listed most things I can remember here.

VERSION HISTORY:
----------------------------------
v0.1 and 0.2 were my original changes but they got severly revamped into the current state.

v0.3: Up to the Mythril Mine 98% to my liking and playable.  Many changes that are outlined in this readme.  Additional changes past the readme will be individually listed in future version history. 

v0.4 Preview: I will probably be increasing enemy damage in the beginning for the next release as I had increased armor defense and forgot to compensate.  Nothing too major though.

Tifa's limit breaks will be tweaked more, probably a reduction in power.

I plan to have up to Rocket Town completed.

KNOWN BUGS
------------------------------------------
-There could be some weird text gaps in some items and item descriptions.  This is just something I think Wall Market does sometimes when compiling the kernel. I fix them as I see them so just let me know if you encounter this and I will fix it.

-Even though I have set charaters empty materia slots to have no materia, there is a weird purple placement materia that stays even in slots that are not available on equipment.  Its a little annoying, just discard or sell them for now. I can't get rid of this but I will try to find a way.

-The steal and drop tables have acted weird since I have changed them.  There is a possiblity you may get a weird drop or steal that is just a placement item with no use.  I have edited these chances out for the most part but just let me know if you encounter it so i can fix it.

GENERAL CHANGES
---------------
I can best break this down by file.

Kernel and kernel2.bin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALOT.  I have changed probably 99% of the equipment in game.  The goal is to make physical attacks more viable early in the game and to make every item somewhat useful in a certain scenario.  I have made all weapons have a certain purpose, an example being everyone has a "mage" weapon, a "defender" weapon, and a "warrior" weapon.  There are many variations of course but this is a generalization. 

I have made a couple brand new armor and everyone besides Aeris has their own special armor they can equip, as well as their own accessory.  Not really an OP thing, just makes them all unique and useful in certain situations.

The significant accessory change other than that is that Ribbon no longer prevents status ailments.  This will provide for more significant planning with added effect combos and other accessories, maybe even certain party combos.  There may be times when you have to deal with certain status effects.

Materia changes:
------------------
Most materia growth is increased, some for right now really hard to master.  I have removed master materia as I see them as OP, in their place in game I have place the W item, summon, and magic materia.  In those materia's place in game I have made 3 new materia: strength, vitality, and spirit plus.  I have also added status effects to most summons, in and out of battle, and altered a few specific materia.

-There are brand new items.

-Hyper and tranquilizer are pretty rare items as I find that Fury and Sadness are pretty OP ways of dealing with enemies.  There will be certain situations where they will be very helpful and this is when you should use them.

I have also created throwing items to benefit from the Throw materia. My hope is to make it more viable but I will decide based on my tests.

Character changes
-----------------
-Cloud starts at level one and everyone else starts at average party level except for Yuffie who seems to be on her own little curve.
-Stats are lined up a little better, balancing everyone out
-EXP curve tweaked to match the exp gains I was looking for.  This is open to more tweaking as the game unfolds
-Limit breaks don't come as often and are more than a bonus when them come as opposed to something you depend on coming frequently.

Except for Vincent, Tifa and Barret everyone starts with some type of materia.  You will be able to come across 1 of each materia without having to buy them.  You won't be able to afford it anyway.

scene.bin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I have changed all enemies in one fashion or the other.  This is just not simply doubling all enemy stats as it requires a bit more balancing than that.  Status ailments are present in attacks of a lot of enemies, some enemies have really high magic or physical defense, certain weaknesses, etc.  Sense materia is somewhat useful but eventually its not really going to help as it won't work on much.  Until you get it, you only have so many options anyway so it shouldn't be too hard to figure things out.  I hope to make you think at least a little bit.

-EXP is drasically decreased especially in the very beginning.  This isn't a LLG or anything it is just that it fits the level curve.  You should be around 10 when you leave Midgar and leveling picks up a bit after that.  -I left gold just about the same, maybe a little less.  I originally had it pretty low as well but then I don't want you to have to grind a lot so there will be some points when fighting a bit for gold won't be a bad idea, but nothing drastic.
-AP has increased a bit but not so much that it outweighs the increase in AP needed.

I have also changed encounters, some bosses may have an extra enemy or two and some encounters have been changed so that you are able to fight some enemies easier.  I like the mix so far.

flevel.lgp and ff7.exe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite edits personally...there are no new item locations, just what you get has been changed in a lot of places.  I like the change as it is refreshing to not know what may be in that chest, or what materia you will get. I have also fixed a couple little things, one being that the soldiers that you get Potions from in the very beginning actually drop them individually, you can't get both from one of them(A weird bug I thought)

I have edited shops and limit breaks a decent amount.  Limits are tweaked to make them a little less powerful, but useful in certain situations.  Shops are a big change, you can find many new items in shops.  They are placed there because you will probably find use for them, and should buy a couple.  Also if you see some new status ailment curing item, its probably a good idea to buy a couple.

Overall this is harder than the original but not hardcore.  However some battles will be pretty tough.  I am trying to make something that requires you to really think about your planning, not just OP materia combinations= You win.

CREDITS:
-----------------
I just want to say I could not have done this without the members of Qhimm.com who have created the programs for me to modify the various files:

For modding:
Squall78 for Loveless text editor
NFITC1 for Proud Clod and Wall Market; scene and kernel.bin editors
Bosola for LIBRE limit break editor
titeguy3 for White Choco shop editor
myst6re for Makou Reactor field editor

For my own testing:
Aali for his graphics driver
sithlord48 for Black Chocobo save editor

For installation
Aali for lgp/unlgp
« Last Edit: 2014-07-21 03:40:05 by Covarr »

idl12

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] The "not-so hardcore" FF7 mod
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-04 01:12:27 »
good luck friend i can't wait, this would really be nice if you could balance the difficulty so we could actually get to see that elusive game over screen but at the same time not get to acquainted with it.          :lol:

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-04 01:42:35 »
Alright I'll lend a hand and test it when you release Midgar part  8-)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-04 03:51:37 »
I'll be happy to test run it, if im done with my own rebalanced/harder... er.... mod. Just let us know when you want us to test it out, and what you want us to test :P

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-04 11:28:50 »
I am already producing a rebalance. Do your own damn mod ; )

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-05 03:53:59 »
Well, I have all the way till Aps finished, so the mini-release will be soon, just thought I would let you all know :D  Also thanks to those who said they would give it a shot.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-05 10:35:59 »
You can try this and this one as a reference. If I understand you correctly, something in the middle is what you should aim for.

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-06 04:39:54 »
I had your mod in mind when I was making this as well :D

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-06 11:10:11 »
Awesome, would love this.
Will this difficulty be incorporated as an option in gjoerulv mod installer?

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-06 14:09:31 »
Honestly at this point I am just trying to get a working version version that people can test, for all I know it could suck :P  It takes me some time because I test the parts myself as well.  Basically I am aiming to be mostly finished with up to midgar by tonight.  I can't work on it right this second because this is the weekend that I have my kids. 

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-03-06 18:24:14 »
That's what babysitters are for xD. Just kidding. Either way, good luck with this, and when you wanna release a beta, I'll definitely check it out.

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-03-07 06:38:43 »
Testing beta released!  All the info is in OP.  Thanks again in advance if any of you happen to test :)

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-03-07 06:55:39 »
Well, I'll hop on it later. I'm gonna crash for now, as it's almost midnight here. But, I'll look into it when i get up tomorrow.

Question: Why everyone, EXCEPT Yuffie?....
« Last Edit: 2010-03-07 06:58:10 by Immortal Damyn »

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-03-07 14:36:47 »
Question: Why everyone, EXCEPT Yuffie?....

Well basically for 2 reasons.  For one, the level modifier for Yuffie in Wall Market is 0.5 which I think means to put her at the average party level.  Since this modifier is unique to her and you get her at different circumstances than the other characters I don't know if it will have adverse effects on the game if I change it.  Secondly I plan on making the actual Yuffie fight difficult and giving her some more starting materia.  I guess a decent reward would be for her to start at a better level.

I have a plan as far as materia is concerned for the mod.  This will take full effect is titeguy3 is able to help us edit shop prices :)  Ideally you will be able to get one of any materia that are in shops(besides the ones you find) as part of someones initial equipment.  At first this may seem to be unbalanced but I plan on substantially increasing materia prices.  I feel like the original game made you rely too much on materia, mainly by letting you get multiple copies at low prices.  This puts physical attacks really at a disadvantage, and makes them mostly pointless until endgame.  You will still be able to get multiple copies but at much higher prices.  This will also force you into more strategic situations especially in the beginning where you don't have alot of materia.

EDIT:  I forgot to also mention that limit breaks charge up alot slower, this is a good balance because this way they don't come around so often that you can abuse them.  In my experience testing they come around when you actually need them and are a help.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-07 14:48:27 by Auraplatonic »

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-03-07 17:47:14 »
Yea, I tried installing this, but the installer is an updater. And because of this I can't install as there are no files to update. Or so the installer says, which means i can't use this....

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-03-07 21:44:06 »
You have to take clean kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, and scene.bin files(from your FF7 install disk if you don't have them anymore on your computer) and copy them to the default destination folder(C:\mod), or one of your choice.  It updates those files.  I can't give away copies of the actual bin files, because that would be illegal. 

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-03-07 21:57:59 »
Yea, I know about the legal issues. I've just never done this kind of upgrade...

****EDIT****

OK! So I got this working. And I have to say, it's pretty hard. One thing I didn't like was the sleep guy I ran into while I still had only cloud. I had to restart 3 times before I got to the point where Barret was part of the party, simply because I kept dying to the combo of a guard hound with sleep, and an Shinra guard guy. I could usually only get 2 attack in to the battle, 3 if lucky. And that didn't matter 'cause it took 3 just to kill the dog. And by then i was 1 hit from death. So I'd say nono on the dogs causing sleep...>> personally. Also, is there anyone in the first part that drops antidotes? 'Cause I find it kinda annoying that I get poisoned by the boss, and the only way to heal poison is to die and then phoenix down. I'd have to say this is the first time I've ever died to the scorpion. Mainly cause I just wanted to see what he could do, and wasn't prepared because I'd just wanted to test him out. But damn, I died in no time xD. Still, I think we should avoid status causing enemies at least until we have the ability to heal the statuses they cause...>>. Also, I think starting at lvl 1 kinda nuts it all up. 'Cause yea, level one you don't do shit damage, but I'm gonna prolly have to get to at least 8 before facing the guard scorpion again. And at the rate I'm gaining strength, the enemies will likely die in one hit all over again just because I'll be strong enough to take out the boss, but too strong for basic enemies. Also, I like the idea of starting at a higher level for storyline purposes. Cloud was in SOLDIER, why the hell is he such a pussy when fighting the guards and dogs? The scorpion sure, but a dog?
« Last Edit: 2010-03-07 22:58:49 by Immortal Damyn »

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-03-08 02:27:33 »
actually, cloud never made soldier, he only thinks he does, but he doesn't..
you will know this if you finished final fantasy 7 and crisis core..  ;D

http://www.armchairempire.com/Previews/PSP/final-fantasy-vii-crisis-core.htm

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-03-08 02:30:05 »
Thanks for the feedback :) I ran into the same problem you did with the guard hounds, but I think I will keep it for now.  You can get antidote drops from the guard hounds.  As far as for guard scorpion he is beatable without any grinding at least for me in multiple tests.  Part of another of the goals I have with this mod is to minimize the amount of grinding you have to do.  Although in the case in the reactor fighting a few battles to get some potions may be a good idea.  Also conserving your magic will be good idea as well.    

I guess all in all my perspective of the bosses is different because I already know what the strategies are.  What I will do is upload some vids of me fighting bosses to give everyone some perspective on what to expect.

EDIT: I uploaded a video of the guard scorpion for anyone who is interested, its in OP.  Airbuster to come! :)
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 03:25:58 by Auraplatonic »

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-03-14 16:45:19 »
Alright so I finally have midgar balanced pretty much the way I want it.  Barring a quick retest I will upload a more updated version and start to work on the rest.  Also a couple more boss videos to come as well.  Stay tuned!

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-03-14 17:17:03 »
Awesome, keep it up!

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-03-22 02:32:41 »

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-03-22 02:53:16 »
actually, cloud never made soldier, he only thinks he does, but he doesn't..
you will know this if you finished final fantasy 7 and crisis core..  ;D

http://www.armchairempire.com/Previews/PSP/final-fantasy-vii-crisis-core.htm
Yes, but he, through thinking he's Zack, essentially DID make solider 1st class. And even if he didn't, we was part of Shinra army, so he had to have SOME experience. Also, I DID finish both Crisis Core and FFVII.

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-03-22 02:57:19 »
OK, so I have done pretty much all I want to do with the game up to leaving Midgar.  Here is the best testing version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hkmy2z4levz

The only thing I really need to add are the shop edits but that would require patching FF7.exe.  That isn't a problem except I am trying to figure out which would be the best version to use as a baseline to patch.  I am thinking just a clean 1.02 FF7.exe but that might make it more trouble than its worth if people have to repatch and all that.  Any thoughts?

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-03-22 17:26:55 »
OK, so I have done pretty much all I want to do with the game up to leaving Midgar.  Here is the best testing version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hkmy2z4levz

The only thing I really need to add are the shop edits but that would require patching FF7.exe.  That isn't a problem except I am trying to figure out which would be the best version to use as a baseline to patch.  I am thinking just a clean 1.02 FF7.exe but that might make it more trouble than its worth if people have to repatch and all that.  Any thoughts?

Awesome work. I think that should be fine, do people usually patch the .exe? I think the only time I have done it was with the 9999 limit breaker patch to use with the Hardcore Mod, but since this is 'no-so hardcore', that wouldn't really be necessary.

Yes, but he, through thinking he's Zack, essentially DID make solider 1st class. And even if he didn't, we was part of Shinra army, so he had to have SOME experience. Also, I DID finish both Crisis Core and FFVII.

What do you mean he essentially made 1st class soldier? He didn't even make 3rd class.
Actually it makes sense that he be weak.
He was a grunt whose minimal experience was limited to a gun. The reactor mission would be the first time he even uses the buster sword.
Not to mention the obvious mental and physical toll that the experiments had on him.