Author Topic: Q-Gears v0.20  (Read 14336 times)

Akari

• View Profile
Q-Gears v0.20
« on: 2011-08-09 18:33:18 »
Version 0.20 was just released. Full changelog are

Code: [Select]
================================================================================
Q-Gears v0.20 (2nd alpha ui) | 2011-08-10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011-08-09
----------
* [Content] Add begin and main menu prototype. Add idol screen to show UI posibilities. [Akari]
* [UI] Add spetion parameter start == -1 to play_animation so start it from very end. [Akari]
* [UI] Add script functions set_alpha and set_z. [Akari]
* [UI] Add z depth to widgets. [Akari]
* [UI] Add text_align attribute for <text_area> tag. now text can be centered. [Akari]

2011-08-04
----------
* [UI] Add set_colour to script functions. [Akari]

2011-08-03
----------
* [UI] Rename xml param show to visible. [Akari]
* [UI] Add fucntion is_visible. [Akari]
* [UI] Rename fucntions show and hide to set_sivible( bool ) as in Entity class. [Akari]
* [UI] Remove on_show and on_hide script calls. [Akari]
* [UI] Ui debug draw now has 2 stages (with names and without). [Akari]
* [Script] Rename on_pressed to on_button and add one more param to function - event_type (Repeat, Press). [Akari]
* [UI] Add colors for each corner of Sprite. Tag "colours" in xml description. [Akari]

2011-08-02
----------
* [Script] Improve debug draw. now all functions in queue displayed along with their priorities. [Akari]
* [Script] Add button events "on_pressed". [Akari]
* [Script] Add posibility to set argiments to calling functions. [Akari]
* [UI] Fix starting of default animation. [Akari]
* [Data] Add BeginMenu (new game screen from FFVII). [Akari]

2011-08-01
----------
* [Application] Add quit console command. [Akari]
* [Script] Scripts now added only if this table or function exist. [Akari]
* [Script] Add on_update callback to all entities. [Akari]
* [UI] Add UI debug draw. [Akari]
* [UI] Fix prototype loading without name. [Akari]

2011-07-31
----------
* [UI] Add prototypes tags and posibility to define prototype. [Akari]
* [UI] Add shaders support for UiSprite. Thet can be assigned with "vertex_shader"
       and "fragment_shader" in xml. [Akari, Cloudef]

2011-07-30
----------
* [Console] paint error messages to red and warning to yellow. [Akari]
* [Application] Add setting Z to debug draw to enable depth sorting. [Akari]

2011-07-29
----------
* [UI] Ui drawn under debug draw. [Akari]
* [Console] Make green colour for autocompletition. [Akari]
* [Console] Console moved to debug draw. [Akari]

2011-07-28
----------
* [UI] Add xml support for Ui Texts. Add colour tag to change colour of Ui text. [Akari]

2011-07-15
----------
* [UI] Add font classes to manage our custom UI fonts. [Akari]
* [UI] Add fonts for english and japanese characters. [Akari]
* [UI] Add text manager. [Akari]

2011-07-10
----------
* [UI] Add text widget. Add "text_area" tag with fields text and font. [Akari]
* [UI] Make widget try play default animation if default anim state is set. [Akari]

2011-07-07
----------
* [UI] Add animation play functions to lua script. [Akari]
* [UI] Add animations to widgets. Translation, rotation and scale. [Akari]
* [UI] Separate colour and alpha. And move them to widget class. [Akari]

2011-07-06
----------
* [UI] Add tag show="true" to enable visibility right on start. [Akari]

2011-07-02
----------
* [UI] Add widget transformation support. Scale and Rotation. [Akari]
* [UI] Add parent scissor test. Tag scissor="true" in screen description file. [Akari]

2011-06-30
----------
* [UI] Add sprite support. load it with <sprite> tag in screen xml. It has colour and image fields. [Akari]

2011-06-29
----------
* [UI] Added posibility to set x, y, width and height in percent and pixels altogether. [Akari]

2011-06-28
----------
* [UI] Make widgets relative to their parents. [Akari]

2011-06-27
----------
* [UI] Fix error with height in %. [Akari]
* [Camera] Add free camera speed multiplyer when shift is pressed for faster movement. [Akari]
* [Application] Add screenshot console command. Take screenshot and save it in the same directory as exe file. [Akari]

2011-06-26
----------
* [Application] Add resolution console command that allow change resolution on fly. It allow switch between fullscreen and windowed also. [Akari]
* [UI] Width and height now all relative to basic 1280x720 resolution.
* [UI] Add horizontal and vertical alignment. Add width and height of elements in % and pixels. [Akari]

2011-06-25
----------
* [Script] Fix that function "print" was output to console only when log level was set to 3. [Akari]
* [Console] Fix error on autocompletition of commands. [Akari]
* [Application] Rewrite tokenise function to work with escape characters to allow inner quotes. [Akari]
* [Console] Add script_run_string command to bind scripts to buttons. [Akari]
* [UI] Widgets how hide it's children when hided. [Akari]

2011-06-24
----------
* [Script] Rename global UI and Entity tables in script. Now Entity (was map) and Ui. [Akari]

2011-06-23
----------
* [UI] Add XML loaders for UI. [Akari]

2011-06-22
----------
* [Script] Rework script managet to allow work with nested tables. [Akari]

2011-06-21
----------
* [UI] Add colors for Ui widgets test draw. [Akari]

2011-06-20
----------
* [UI] Add test draw for UI widgets. [Akari]

2011-06-17
----------
* [UI] Add placeholder for UI. [Akari]

Images are

Video for release here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyqVlWUPNYE

Release itself can be downloaded for windows here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/q-gears/files/q-gears/

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Q-Gears v0.20
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-09 19:09:21 »
Astonishing. I can't wait to see this running with our custom field models. Even if it's still buggy :P

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-09 19:45:45 »
Yay, for v0.20 \o/

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-17 05:59:40 »
Congratulations, Akari! ;)

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-18 17:35:08 »
If i could only learn programming, i would try to compile this with FF8  :lol: .

of course, that's assuming such a thing is possible, i know that 8 was a bit of a programming departure from 7, but i know not how much, i just want to try to remodel, and retexture, everything i can.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-18 17:49:27 by handlandj »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-19 13:05:18 »
If i could only learn programming, i would try to compile this with FF8  :lol: .

of course, that's assuming such a thing is possible, i know that 8 was a bit of a programming departure from 7, but i know not how much, i just want to try to remodel, and retexture, everything i can.

It's not that simple to add some game. You can't compile with it or something. You need to create exporters from all data this game has to Q-Gears. now q-gears is mostly framework that can load models, music, scripts and allow some iteractions between them. it's still a lont way until this can be real game. Next milestone must allow anyone run through few start maps of all 3 games I want to support.

Exporters from FFVIII is posible, but it's a lot of work. I'm not a big fan of FFVIII so i won't do it. I work with FFVII FFIX and Xenogears. you can help anyway. There are a lot of things that anyone can do.

Someone can create all menu's from FFVII for example. It's not that much work =) I create just two windows.

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-19 13:25:15 »
so i would have to fork from your source to do a FF8 version...gotcha. well i might much later, so i guess i have to work with 7, 9, and xenogears first. ;D

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-27 14:21:41 »
so i would have to fork from your source to do a FF8 version...gotcha. well i might much later, so i guess i have to work with 7, 9, and xenogears first. ;D
You do realize that's a fairly BIG arena. Also last I checked chrono compendium had made progress with Chrono cross.
It's not that simple to add some game. You can't compile with it or something. You need to create exporters from all data this game has to Q-Gears. now q-gears is mostly framework that can load models, music, scripts and allow some iteractions between them. it's still a lont way until this can be real game. Next milestone must allow anyone run through few start maps of all 3 games I want to support.

Exporters from FFVIII is posible, but it's a lot of work. I'm not a big fan of FFVIII so i won't do it. I work with FFVII FFIX and Xenogears. you can help anyway. There are a lot of things that anyone can do.

Someone can create all menu's from FFVII for example. It's not that much work =) I create just two windows.

Akari do you keep incremental source snap shots for when you make  a version change? I was muddling at that just a bit ago and it appears your versioned releases are binary only, (which I can't use since I'm on Linux these days). I'll have to just 'get the source code' hopefully you won't break anything in your updates so I can test it at least.

<opinion>
FFVIII was a big change, but for some reason I liked it better than FFIX
</opinion>

Erstwhile I was considering the addition of a pipe of spoken text to Qgears for speech (not recorded voice but synthesis). I haven't messed with microsoft speech tools but I have found a reasonable library for doing so apart from MS. MS tools are based on CMU's work (the licensing allows them to do this).  It appears they had professional voice actors to generate the based data and did some editing. All in all it would be about a few months of work by them from what I could analyse. Erstwhile I'll have to see what sort of DB engine you are using as well.

Source code peering time, I presume you use Code blocks?

Cyb
« Last Edit: 2011-08-27 14:36:09 by Cyberman »

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-27 21:56:16 »
My makefile and linux fixes should still be there, just run make on the src folder and you get QGears binary to the output folder.
Make sure you have the deps tho.

data/config.cfg shows the keybindings. Just keep in mind that OIS likes to grab a lot of input under Linux, so you need to use the exit keybinding on config.cfg to quit or exit to virtual terminal and kill the process.. Or compile custom OIS like I did.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-27 21:59:31 by Cloudef »

thegreatpower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-31 12:26:27 »
How can I help you in this?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-01 10:37:16 »
How can I help you in this?

Yes. Contact me on ICQ 175522907.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-15 14:20:52 »
Got a round too it.
Hmmm there is no cmake .configure etc. running make of course generates lots of complaining but it does build 'stuff' :D

installing openal and OGRE was easy enough there seems to be issues with "OIS" which I have no clue what is.

It almost compiled took 5 minutes to do that much. The big problem was figuring out how to use mercurial to clone q-gears.

The main page needs an update. I suppose I should reactivate my sourceforge account huh?

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-11-18 09:23:43 »
Got a round too it.
Hmmm there is no cmake .configure etc. running make of course generates lots of complaining but it does build 'stuff' :D

installing openal and OGRE was easy enough there seems to be issues with "OIS" which I have no clue what is.

It almost compiled took 5 minutes to do that much. The big problem was figuring out how to use mercurial to clone q-gears.

The main page needs an update. I suppose I should reactivate my sourceforge account huh?

Cyb

What are issues with OIS? I thought I fixed mouse on Linux.

Now slowly work on 2d backgrounds. Didn't commit anything for few month. Maybe it is time =)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-11-21 00:06:46 »
What are issues with OIS? I thought I fixed mouse on Linux.

Now slowly work on 2d backgrounds. Didn't commit anything for few month. Maybe it is time =)
To be EXACT my problem was I didn't know what it was. I hunted down the library and installed it today. I can't do everything at once, don't even try these days.

Perhaps an INSTALL file for unix type systems?

I may make an 'gentoo' emerge package for it. So that If someone wants to build it under Gentoo linux it will be able to automatically grab the libraries necessary to do so. As for getting the 'official source' for Q-gears that is a different matter. I don't want it's source in a gentoo repository it's simpler to have the one location instead of duplicating stuff all over and 'fiddling around' with it. So I'll have to see how I can set up the 'emerge' script to do something a bit 'special' to build Q-gears (IE fetch the code from a NON gentoo repository). That is a VERY long and complicated discussion I doubt you really care to hear (LOL).

My current failure is here:0
Main.cpp:53: error: no matching function for call to 'Ogre::Root::setRenderSystem(std::vector<Ogre::RenderSystem*, std::allocator<Ogre::RenderSystem*> >&)'
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRoot.h:278: note: candidates are: void Ogre::Root::setRenderSystem(Ogre::RenderSystem*)
Main.cpp:88: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'DebugDraw'
core/DebugDraw.h:13: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'DebugDraw':
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRenderQueueListener.h:67: note:   virtual void Ogre::RenderQueueListener::renderQueueStarted(Ogre::uint8, const Ogre::String&, bool&)
Main.cpp:104: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'UiManager'
core/UiManager.h:15: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'UiManager':
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRenderQueueListener.h:82: note:   virtual void Ogre::RenderQueueListener::renderQueueEnded(Ogre::uint8, const Ogre::String&, bool&)
make: *** [Main.o] Error 1

Which specific version and libraries of Ogre does it rely on? I need to make a list of libraries it wants I suspect.

I thought the 2d back ground code existed already? Or am I missing something? Probably am wouldn't be a surprise there! :D

Cyb
« Last Edit: 2011-11-21 00:18:59 by Cyberman »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-11-21 11:01:38 »
To be EXACT my problem was I didn't know what it was. I hunted down the library and installed it today. I can't do everything at once, don't even try these days.

Perhaps an INSTALL file for unix type systems?

I may make an 'gentoo' emerge package for it. So that If someone wants to build it under Gentoo linux it will be able to automatically grab the libraries necessary to do so. As for getting the 'official source' for Q-gears that is a different matter. I don't want it's source in a gentoo repository it's simpler to have the one location instead of duplicating stuff all over and 'fiddling around' with it. So I'll have to see how I can set up the 'emerge' script to do something a bit 'special' to build Q-gears (IE fetch the code from a NON gentoo repository). That is a VERY long and complicated discussion I doubt you really care to hear (LOL).

My current failure is here:0
Main.cpp:53: error: no matching function for call to 'Ogre::Root::setRenderSystem(std::vector<Ogre::RenderSystem*, std::allocator<Ogre::RenderSystem*> >&)'
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRoot.h:278: note: candidates are: void Ogre::Root::setRenderSystem(Ogre::RenderSystem*)
Main.cpp:88: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'DebugDraw'
core/DebugDraw.h:13: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'DebugDraw':
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRenderQueueListener.h:67: note:   virtual void Ogre::RenderQueueListener::renderQueueStarted(Ogre::uint8, const Ogre::String&, bool&)
Main.cpp:104: error: cannot allocate an object of abstract type 'UiManager'
core/UiManager.h:15: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'UiManager':
/usr/include/OGRE/OgreRenderQueueListener.h:82: note:   virtual void Ogre::RenderQueueListener::renderQueueEnded(Ogre::uint8, const Ogre::String&, bool&)
make: *** [Main.o] Error 1

Which specific version and libraries of Ogre does it rely on? I need to make a list of libraries it wants I suspect.

I thought the 2d back ground code existed already? Or am I missing something? Probably am wouldn't be a surprise there! :D

Cyb

Q-Gears uses Ogre3d 1.7.2.
It seems that all errors come from wrong Ogre version.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-11-21 23:08:15 »
Q-Gears uses Ogre3d 1.7.2.
It seems that all errors come from wrong Ogre version.
So you are using the last build suit? I don't know how Ogre's versioning system works, and I know that 1.8 is due in January. However 1.6.5 is consider stable, 1.7.XXX was not.  I was going to ask that question but it seems to be self evident. You appear to like to use the latest and greatest. That can create some dependency issues (IE people have to go around grabbing newer version of software). My version of linux is a pain to use the latest and greatest with because it's considered unstable by the maintainers. I don't know if that is true however there are a huge number of bugs listed which relate to the 1.7.XXX and they don't specifically have to do with Ogre, mostly with the libraries it wants to use they have bugs that lead to security issues apparently.

It's a chronic problem with Linux one can end up having to update there entire library suite just to run one application only to find that those libraries make about 100 applications die horribly because the new versions are either incompatible or contain bugs that haven't been fixed that prevent them from playing nice.  I could build OGRE 1.7.3 however as I just noted that can create a long list of other problems (like I experienced with GTK 3 for example). Java apps API do not play nicely with GTK 2/3 and throw up with lots of green relish and onions. (LOL) Although none of my other GTK based apps complain just anything using teabag. Sigh things just got a whole lot more complicated for me.

Hmmm you use code blocks right? Can that generate an automake or cmake config script?

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-11-22 04:59:09 »
So you are using the last build suit? I don't know how Ogre's versioning system works, and I know that 1.8 is due in January. However 1.6.5 is consider stable, 1.7.XXX was not.  I was going to ask that question but it seems to be self evident. You appear to like to use the latest and greatest. That can create some dependency issues (IE people have to go around grabbing newer version of software). My version of linux is a pain to use the latest and greatest with because it's considered unstable by the maintainers. I don't know if that is true however there are a huge number of bugs listed which relate to the 1.7.XXX and they don't specifically have to do with Ogre, mostly with the libraries it wants to use they have bugs that lead to security issues apparently.

It's a chronic problem with Linux one can end up having to update there entire library suite just to run one application only to find that those libraries make about 100 applications die horribly because the new versions are either incompatible or contain bugs that haven't been fixed that prevent them from playing nice.  I could build OGRE 1.7.3 however as I just noted that can create a long list of other problems (like I experienced with GTK 3 for example). Java apps API do not play nicely with GTK 2/3 and throw up with lots of green relish and onions. (LOL) Although none of my other GTK based apps complain just anything using teabag. Sigh things just got a whole lot more complicated for me.

Hmmm you use code blocks right? Can that generate an automake or cmake config script?

Cyb

Now 1.7.x is stable. 1.6.x is previous stable. I use 1.7.2 because it is lastest SDK for mingw. Previously Ogre uses even versions to mark stable releases and odd to mark development version. Now they drop this practice and all versions are stable.

Codeblocks generate makefile.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-01-04 15:02:26 »
Just a bumpish thing asking how everythings been going.Curious :P

Hope you had a good holiday and new years! :D