Author Topic: Replacing the title screen with a completely new image.  (Read 6300 times)

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
This is a follow up to the following threads:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16824.0

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16930.0

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17015.0

I replaced the graphic in "OPENING_17.data" with a completely new graphic. But it only shows up for a short shot, then a completely black blank space stays there instead.

Trying to change this title screen is turning out to be a huge convoluted mess.

I suspect a CLUT problem, but I have yet to solve it.

What could I be doing wrong?

If I send someone a test file of what I am trying to replace it with, would they be so kind as to find out what is wrong and teach me the right way to do it?

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Replacing the title screen with a completely new image.
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-04 21:15:03 »
Can you show a video or a screenshot of what is happening when you try ? Also if you post a sample picture i can try (no promises) and see if i can insert it to opening_17.data like i did before (although previously i only used a edited original picture, if its a full new picture it may be harder)

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-11 02:59:11 »
Hello Kranmer.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with IRL matters, and in a few minutes I will have to step away from the computer again. :(

Here is a sample image of what I am trying to replace the title screen with:

Eventually, I'll write up in detail how I inserted this into the game, and post a Fraps ePSXe recording of the failure. I just have a bad headache right now.

Thank you for offering your help! I wish to learn more about FF7 hacking, even if it is difficult.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-11 18:18:41 »
Hello Kranmer.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with IRL matters, and in a few minutes I will have to step away from the computer again. :(

Here is a sample image of what I am trying to replace the title screen with:

Eventually, I'll write up in detail how I inserted this into the game, and post a Fraps ePSXe recording of the failure. I just have a bad headache right now.

Thank you for offering your help! I wish to learn more about FF7 hacking, even if it is difficult.
Hey NERV Agent, no problem IRL matters should always come first :)

Anyway onto the matter at hand, i tried replacing the image just as you did and i saw what you mean, most tim converters produce a TIM that makes the screen either flicker or just black, or if you use tim2view it just uses the old cult and makes the wrong colours appear (but the image does display), after a few hours of testing i think i am getting close to a way of getting it to work (just need to run a few more tests), i will edit this post shortly if i am successful.

EDIT:-
OK i think i have got it fully working now, i would need more test samples to be sure but it seems to be working, i think i figured it out, other images aren't working by default because when you change the TIM or make a new one you change the CULT and IMAGE VRAM, these need to be the same for the image to work correctly, so after editing the TIM to have the same as the original it works fine :), so just make sure once you made a TIM image that the CULT and IMAGE VRAM settings are the same as the original (they are displayed in tim2view at the bottom left once you open a TIM).
Here is the example you posted above converted to TIM that works in FF7. (below is the opening_17.bin of the picture you posted BEFORE LZSS compression)
https://www.mediafire.com/?w69uhi9kar6ts7i
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-11 19:27:33 by Kranmer »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-13 03:38:26 »
Thank you for the response Kranmer.

I plan to set some time aside tomorrow after my day job to work on this.

However, I have some questions.

By "CULT" am I to assume you mean "CLUT"? If so, did you alter it per Maki's steps? I know Tim2View can edit the CLUT, but it seems that it requires changing each and every one of the 256 entries one by one (and possible arthritis). I need a faster way of changing the CLUT for 256 color images that I might implant in the future.

As for VRAM, it doesn't seem that Tim2View can edit that. Also, there are 2 field values for "VRAM (X/Y)". Am I to assume that I am supposed to follow Maki's steps, but when I convert my custom ".BMP" back to ".TIM", I need to enter specific values in the following TIM Viewer window?

Because I didn't enter anything and just used to default values it has. What values should I change to what?

Thank you for the help.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-13 07:31:46 »
Sorry yeah i did mean CLUT (I'm not used to image editing terms, sorry)

And i don't know that program but it should work fine (i used img2tim to do it but any program that can edit those fields should work), the boxes you have shown, enter the original values into those, leaving them at the default is what is causing the problems, to see the original values open the original TIM in "Tim2view" and at the bottom left corner it lists what the Image and CLUT vram should be, then enter it into those boxes (in this case you would enter 320   256 in the IMAGE boxes and 0   510 in the CLUT boxes) then it *SHOULD* work.

EDIT:-
OK i made a small video showing the me using img2tim to convert your sample picture into one that works ingame and showing it working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QBELkbaBs
In the video i use the command
Code: [Select]
img2tim -plt 0 510 -org 320 256 -o opening_17.data test_256_black_bg_left_chunk.png
in img2tim and that converts the sample PNG you provided into a tim named "opening_17.data" (i use BAT files to do it in the video, its the same as using the program in command line but saves time).
The -plt part sets the CLUT VRAM and the -org sets the Image VRAM to what the original opening_17.data is then the rest is output and input.
Let me know how you get on :)
« Last Edit: 2016-07-13 21:15:30 by Kranmer »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-30 04:41:50 »
I've been AFK due to computer problems, but I'm back and tried this right now.

It works like a charm! Also, your new procedure is simpler than the previous one! 8-)

Hopefully all this will help other newbie FF7 hackers who find these threads and your movies.