Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007655 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
With the help of Kenneth, I've managed to zero in on this annoying music bug.  Fixing it will take time.

There's also a random crash bug at end of battle caused by a slight tweak to aali's original code. Please backup your aali.dll and then try this one as a test> 

Please let me know also if it fixes the victory music bug (it shouldnt - but it should fix the "eviction" message.   If it doesn't, I have another to try).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15As2DVHU24CbI3AW94FmXqTObrmiZra0/view?usp=sharing

skyhawk

• View Profile
There's also a random crash bug at end of battle caused by a slight tweak to aali's original code. Please backup your aali.dll and then try this one as a test

but it should fix the "eviction" message
A very quick playtest is still logging lots of ERROR: texture cache is full and nothing could be evicted! messages. It hasn't crashed yet, but I haven't played it enough to give it a chance to crash yet, so that means nothing.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
Questions for DLPB:

• Is there a way to deactivate analogic on the joystick? (to play instead with D-pad only) - Solved, check JoyToKey
  • Is there a way to have the cursor automatically selecting the character with lesser HP during battle while using a potion type item? - Why I'm asking this: before it was possible to use potion and see directly the HP of the party member while now you must press "cancel" button to check party's HP
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 08:01:00 by Kuraudo. »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The crash issue with textures is unavoidable [only solution is to do what True Odin has done - make textures go black when not loading and also have slowed down game].  I've spoken to True Odin about this too and the bottom line is having 4k textures in this game is insane.  It's a 32 bit program designed in 1996.  The solution is for the maximum texture size to be 4x as large as the original game as a maximum.

Hence 320 *224 becomes  1280 * 896 as a maximum.  Anything more than that and you're breaking fundamental limitations of the game.  It won't ever work.

To get the most out of the memory, setting cache size to 2 GB may work better but aali always advised 1 GB as max.

As True Odin points out, most field textures are 256 * 256 so the maximum this game will support without error is 1024 * 1024 when that's the base size.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-03 13:11:49 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
03.Mar.2020   Everyone   Aali.dll   Game will crash due to textures that "cannot be evicted" [see app.log].  This is a limitation of a 1998 ported 32 bit game and cannot be resolved in any other way than to have a maximum texture size of 4x the original.  NOT 4K.  Modders will need to adjust their texture packs.   Cannot be resolved

tom servo

• View Profile
But arent upscaled texture packs a thing since the 2000's? Why would they be causing crashes all of a sudden right now and only since r06c?

Edit: Just had a random thought. Ive been using remako with r06 and it never crashed, also in the remako description it says that they are 4x textures which is in the limits of what you are talking about. So i thought that one thing you changed for r06b(or c) is that you made magic effects etc work correctly, so i'm wondering if the introduction of hd spell effects is what pushed the memory limit over the edge in r06c when in previous versions it wasnt crashing. I'll test it after work.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-03 14:07:16 by tom servo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Because they weren't 4K. And everyone is using very high res textures which they shouldn't be.  It should be 4x size only.

magitek

• View Profile
I use satsuki's textures, but all fields are only 4x (1024x1024). I still get this error.

Maybe this tool can help?
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
RE4hd project is using it for the memory errors. I'll try using it to see if I still get errors.

@Kuraudo.: About d-pad, I'm using Xpadder so I can map the arrow keys to the d-pad (so that I can use d-pad and analogue), and I can map the L2/R2 to the trigger buttons as well. But it would be awesome if reunion could incorporate something like that, without the need to use external tools.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-03 15:31:14 by magitek »

skyhawk

• View Profile
@DLPB - In relation to the texture crash/messages, can I ask for a bit of elaboration on a few options?

I'd like to know a bit more about what these options do and how they interact:

texture_cache_size - sounds straightforward enough, but the setting seems to make no difference. Is this measured in KiB or MiB?
compress_textures
save_textures - Creates a disk cache, but ignore textures in Mod_ID

@Kuraudo - I'm using the 1998 disc version of the game, and I launch it through Steam, which has wonderful controller mapping support.

Wiseman

• View Profile
skyhawk, DLPB said the game ignores the Steam settings with Reunion. I wasn't able to map my X-input controllers through it with Reunion activated.

skyhawk

• View Profile
skyhawk, DLPB said the game ignores the Steam settings with Reunion. I wasn't able to map my X-input controllers through it with Reunion activated.
The game ignores Steam Achievements with Reunion. The controller mapping is not done via Steam API hooks, and works perfectly. I was playing it an hour ago with my XBox controller, as mapped via Steam.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
Is your d-pad working fine skyhawk? For me only analog.

I'm testing xpadder atm. Anyway will continue in pvt

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I'll be looking at config side when I get time.  Id suggest trying joy2key until ive gotten to grips with this.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
Working fine with joy2key, thanks!

obesebear

• View Profile
All hail DLPB, the mighty finder and smasher of bugs!

Recordings of Yuffie's oddly slow casting/summon animation - All were captured at 60fps

I apologize for the awkward framing - I was planning on splicing them together and making some slick presentation with timestamps on the side. Then I remembered that I have no video editing software and the video editing skills of a potato.

Mode 0 - 205 frames
Google Drive

Mode 1 - 208 frames
Google Drive

Mode 2 - 272 frames
Google Drive
I believe I have fixed the issue (it was interpolated twice to 120fps) and sent the fixed file to DLPB.  If you have any concerns or questions regarding the animations using Mode 2, please DM me and I will fix them and inform DLPB if there's a correction I need to make
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 01:02:30 by obesebear »

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
another retranslation mention:

In Icicle Inn, in the room where you find the map, if you take the map before talking and getting permission to take it he says "What a nerve!  You've already torn it down!"
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 03:25:50 by Orichalcon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
He was referring to another bug, Obesebear :p  Your bug needs to be added to database and hadn't been fixed at that point.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
another retranslation mention:

In Icicle Inn, in the room where you find the map, if you take the map before talking and getting permission to take it he says "What a nerve!  You've already torn it down!"

I'm not seeing the issue there :P?

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/139377/how-to-explain-i-think-it-should-be-tore-down-is-incorrect?rq=1

Are you saying it should be tore or am I missing something.

torn it down is fine.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Hotfix 9 is out. May fix a few of the crashes and should definitely fix the victory music issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgKLQR1bDTKBcz1UpZ9GOIDtNWwBMeM9/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 05:21:09 by DLPB »

skyhawk

• View Profile
I'm not seeing the issue there :P?
Torn down is fine. 'What a nerve!' is not. 'What nerve!' would work. Here's hoping this doesn't degenerate into another "Spare me the speeches" debate.

[Personally, I would argue that 'Spare me the speech' or 'Spare me the lecture' sound much more correct, but I'm not going to poke that bear]

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/What+a+nerve!

It's perfectly normal English.  Please use Google before posting things like that as it clutters up this thread.  Though to be honest, grammar issues alone should be left until R07.  Only definite mistakes with spelling / translation should be noted.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 04:22:27 by DLPB »

tom servo

• View Profile
So yesterday i used DLPB's new dll and removed the magic upscale mod(leaving only remako) and managed to play for 2 hours with no crashes and no errors in app.log.

CrazySteve88

• View Profile
When I apply hotfix 9 the thunder animation glitches. The game still works but there's like some transparency issue going on.

At first I thought this was because I was using Satsuki's texture pack but even after I disabled that it still didn't work. So I disabled Reunion in the options and it worked again.
I deleted everything and started fresh, reapplied R06c and once more thunder worked. However as soon as I applied the hotfix it glitched again.

I started a whole new game to make 100% sure it wasn't something to do with the save. I also disabled fancy transparency and a few other options to see if that would fix it but nothing helped.

*EDIT* Man hotfix 9 is buggy. Shortly after escaping from the reactor and talking to Aerith the game loads a completely different map when leaving the area. I haven't played the game in a while but you can see Cait Sith standing by some stairs. My character's stuck and I cannot proceed. Disabling Hotfix 9 fixes this.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 09:40:09 by CrazySteve88 »

morffi

• View Profile
Encountering the same problem with Hotfix 9 as CrazySteve88 did.

After finishing the bombing run and talking to Aerith, the next loaded area is incorrect.
The area has Cait Sith jumping on the stairs (could be a scene from the event in Disc 2), and Cloud spawns on top of the background scenery and is unable to move at all.

« Last Edit: 2020-03-04 14:53:56 by morffi »

SkolaMC

• View Profile
Definitely a new issue with the hotfix 9, im after the aps fight and going that way thru the train graveyard's final screen with the movable trains. upon moving to the "train station" screen i'm instead taken to a scene MUCH further in the game where tifa is chasing cloud against a black background then to when she remembers finding him at the train station, then im tifa waking up in doctors office goddamn meteor is here and im lvl 10.. Must be some issue where game is registering future scenes maybe? I'm only guessing that because of the scene with tifa finding cloud at the train station instead of where i should be in the story, walking past the train station on way to warn everyone that shinra is dropping the plate on sector 7, this is steam version with only reunion installed. Its a damn shame because this hotfix seemed to have perfectly fixed the victory music loop bug