Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread  (Read 309574 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread
« Reply #100 on: 2012-07-05 20:19:24 »
dun worry. We could all use TEXMOD and make our own HD textures.

That'll require anything we want to texture to... have textures. FF7 doesnt do that very much...

GeekRichieUK

• I haven't completed Final Fantasy IX...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2012-07-05 21:23:16 »
It still looks nothing like FF13 which is what people are going to expect when they see "HD" rerelease. 

Nono, At very best, we can expect 60fps animations and 'reoptimised' characters (IE/ Original models rather than ones that were poly-reduced for PS2 optimisation) - This would exceed expectations for everyone.

At very least we will simply get 1080p rendering (which lets face it, makes a ton of improvement on even FF8 PSX emulation on PC, so on PS2 FFX characters will be fantastic)

Frankly, I don't care if it doesn't look like FF13, I'm happy that I get to play it upscaled as the models are held back by the standard resolution it was designed for, not the other way around like FF7 and 8 (Dare I say FF9 might look better HD upscaled too).
« Last Edit: 2012-07-05 21:27:24 by GeekRichieUK »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2012-07-05 22:51:19 »
I still doubt they are going to do 1080p rendering but i suppose it is possible but likely to be 720p..if they do 1080 it will look something similar to this video of ff7 on an emulator at 1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgvYq49lIQ

Mobile YouTube is annoying. Replaced that with a regular link (still the same video). ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-07-06 01:37:23 by Covarr »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2012-07-06 06:17:01 »
I'm kind of a purist, I don't really care for the mods as much as fixing what was broken... Actually to me nothing beats an old CRT and the PS3 combo.

Don't get me wrong, some of the mods are pretty neat! But some bugs in the PC version just is a deal breaker. Even with heavy mod/s the game has some glaring flaws, such as the minigames, and the already mentioned pixelation. =/

You do realize the backgrounds are the same res as the PS1 version right?

...so if you were to run it on a monitor that uses the same native resolution that FF7 was designed on, it would look just as clear as the PS1 version.

And if you ever noticed the PS1 version always had pixelation issues. You can't even see that the characters have mouths on the PSX

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2012-07-06 07:32:27 »
Purism is insanity. It can lead to things like this, especially in games. Preferring an inferior product for reasons of nostalgia alone... the PC version in its current form is superior to the PSX version in almost every single way.  Also, Mako... I agree that many of the mods for PC are lousy, but you don't have to install them all.  The minigames have been fixed and fully working for a while (aali's driver + my minigame fixes for aalis next release. The snowboard and coaster one are released as separate fixes already.).
« Last Edit: 2012-07-06 07:45:37 by DLPB »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #105 on: 2012-07-06 07:41:26 »
purism is not always the preference of an inferior product for nostalgia
maybe in this specific case, yes. but you make it sound like you're generalizing it.

it should be obvious even to an ape that a version that can be easily modded is always gonna be superior to a version that can't.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2012-07-06 07:42:10 »
I will amend that sentence... not that it will make much difference.  Oh and

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12799.0

Aali broke the snowboard game by assuming it was supposed to run at 30fps... when it is supposed to run ay 60.  Also, same with Coaster game except there the aimer was also running wrong speed which I have corrected.

The coaster and snowboard minigames are unplayable as is compared to the originals...  but I've sorted that issue!
« Last Edit: 2012-07-06 10:49:36 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2012-07-06 14:29:08 »
I am sure this thing will be rittled with DRM as are all games these days. Hopefully we can crack it and use our mods.

even if we can't. if a tool is made to rip out high quality stuff (assuming there is one..) i'll just play the modded up original :p

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #108 on: 2012-07-06 18:56:05 »
that is assuming there is anything worth ripping in there in the first place

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2012-07-06 20:43:31 »
You do realize the backgrounds are the same res as the PS1 version right?

...so if you were to run it on a monitor that uses the same native resolution that FF7 was designed on, it would look just as clear as the PS1 version.

And if you ever noticed the PS1 version always had pixelation issues. You can't even see that the characters have mouths on the PSX
Resolution aside, the models were 'enhanced' on the PC version. The images are interlaced on the psx version (i'm sure it's the same for PC) therefore look smooth and even crisp on my old CRT. However, plugging the same PS3 into my 28" monitor makes it look terrible. 

GeekRichieUK

• I haven't completed Final Fantasy IX...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2012-07-06 22:37:32 »
REPLY FORKED TO NEW THREAD

Purism is insanity. It can lead to preferring an inferior product for reasons of nostalgia alone...

Purism is exactly that, loving an original concept because of the purity of the memories you recall with it. 

One thing we all want, is a good completed HD mod for FFVII complete that doesn't otherwise tamper with that nostalgia, but no offense to the modding community here but that is not going to happen soon, the logistics are too much for any size of fan project.  Therefor, rather than getting nostalgic with patchy improvements that are open to criticism from individuals with different tastes/memories, a 100% consistent lower quality original can be much better for some people to become immersed in the world they want again - hence the existence of the purists you look down upon.

If Square truly cared for their fans rather than generating quick cashflow they could support and engage the community more rather than milking it, maybe put some of the profits from the re-release into helping to organize and bring support to modding efforts.  Just think at what a devoted and loyal fanbase can do for a company when they are embraced, Minecraft, Steam and League of Legends are HUGELY creative, and supportive (and we throw money at them too).

The sooner Square learn this, and stop trying to follow the EA and Blizzard/Activision demons the better - for purists, for modders, for the franchise and the company. 

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2012-07-07 08:52:15 »
do you think it will be moddable?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #112 on: 2012-07-07 09:23:26 »
unlikely
even if it is, why would you use the steam version over the one you can run without DRM
because steam is DRM

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2012-07-07 09:47:55 »
Yes, Steam is DRM in that it's required to launch the games, many games bought through Steam can still be launched without Steam running though, but it's not annoying, over complicated, buggy, broken, limiting or intrusive like say, SecuROM and StarForce have been known to be, I bought F.E.A.R day one, took me weeks to get it working because SecuROM either wouldn't recognise my DVD drive or would bug out and crash the game on start up while reading the DVD.

I'll most likely buy it off Steam is it does end up being customisable, so I won't have to send out a search party for my CDs after each format.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2012-07-07 18:25:41 »
This isn't coming to Steam. The website says it's exclusive to the S-E store (which is awful and makes Origin look fantastic, BTW).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2012-07-07 18:37:53 »
Resolution aside, the models were 'enhanced' on the PC version. The images are interlaced on the psx version (i'm sure it's the same for PC) therefore look smooth and even crisp on my old CRT. However, plugging the same PS3 into my 28" monitor makes it look terrible. 

The images are not interlaced... the TV interlaces everything since that's what it works by.  By the same logic, watching a progressive movie on your tv means the movie data is interlaced.

The reason ff7 looks a little better on a TV is partly because TV and old CRT resolution is inferior to today's standard.  If you play FF7 at 640*480 you will see that it looks pretty good and at 320*240 it will look amazing... because that is how small ff7 original resolution is.  It has nothing to do with interlacing.

You do not suddenly get  a "better" image with CRT's...  it is the same data in both.

As for models... the PC uses much better rendering and no dithering either on field maps.  It is the same game as the PSX except the hardware allows better rendering and display.  Why would you want to keep a PSX version (which is the same as PC) that has inferior display methods ?
« Last Edit: 2012-07-07 18:43:07 by DLPB »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #116 on: 2012-07-07 19:39:20 »
This isn't coming to Steam. The website says it's exclusive to the S-E store (which is awful and makes Origin look fantastic, BTW).

they got the letters backwards. and forgot another S at the end
E-S-S
extreme shit store

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2012-07-07 20:15:04 »
You do not suddenly get  a "better" image with CRT's...  it is the same data in both.
Well cause the 'data' is meaningless in this issue. Does a CRT look sharper/crisper then a LCD, yes. Question is: Why would you trade a buggy game, broken minigames, and super pixelated backgrounds to have a slightly sharper character?

Keep in mind even the minigame issue is a deal breaker for me. Besides... I don't like the sharper characters (or at least the way they look) he looks angry.

Q: But Mako, the data's the same.
So it looks better.

Q: But Mako the resolution is 1754332x123153554 p
So, it looks better on a CRT.

:)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-07 20:55:32 by Mako »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2012-07-07 20:33:57 »
The old console games look so much better when displayed on a CRT.
Not even an emulator running in hi-res can beat the fuzzy warm glow of a CRT image.

Some of the CRT shaders come close to recreating that good old feeling of radiation in the face.

CRT Pixel Shader Filter for SNES Emulation
Recreating CRT's

I suppose it's too much to ask of Square to add a feature that allows us to switch between new and old graphics like LucasArts did in the Monkey Island SE's.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2012-07-07 20:55:36 »
It is the same data... and I don't think the image looks better no.  You get pros and cons.  The cons would be the blurred picture (all the time, not just games), the fact that you are stuck with dithering effect and lego models and basic rendering of 3D items.

FF7 PC is better than PSX.  If the designers today had access to the original data and could make higher resolution versions of the graphics, they would not have left FF7 PC with the PSX low res data.  Why would anyone want that?

And back to the main point, the PC game is superior to PSX in almost every way now thanks to aalis driver, FMV updates and better rendering of the models.  Not to mention upscales of the backgrounds if blockiness bothers you.  Staying with PSX makes no sense to me.   It is like staying with Tape when you have Blu-Ray. 

The old font and menu items for example look bloody awful and are completely misaligned.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-07 21:06:50 by DLPB »

Troopermanaic

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2012-07-09 23:16:42 »
does anyone know the release date?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2012-07-10 00:00:15 »
does anyone know the release date?
No, a release date has not been announced yet. Chances are pretty good even Square-Enix doesn't know for sure yet, otherwise they'd have announced it and be building hype right now. There's probably some sort of boring bureaucracy stuff in the way, maybe an audio engine or codec that they didn't properly license (I dunno how much they changed, but these issues are especially common delays in downloaded games).

Then again, I wouldn't expect this to be using bink or fmod. Kinda overkill for something like this.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2012-07-10 00:43:52 »
Actually, FF8 PC uses Bink.

yoshi314

• View Profile
ff7 remade with today's gaming standards in mind
« Reply #123 on: 2012-07-10 08:12:20 »
I mean, that's a joke right?

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_en/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

Features

The RPG classic FINAL FANTASY VII returns to PC, now with brand new online features!

Achievements – Whether you´re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

Cloud Saves – If you´re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off (Requires Internet Connection).

Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Optimized for PC – FINAL FANTASY VII has been updated to support the latest hardware and Windows Operating Systems.

that sounds absolutely ridiculous. Has the gaming fallen so low already ? Or maybe someone hacked the website?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: ff7 remade with today's gaming standards in mind
« Reply #124 on: 2012-07-10 13:16:44 »
Achievements – Whether you´re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

"Congrats, you just rode a Chocobo!"  "You picked up some Materia!"  "You didn't die at a mandatory boss!" :P Achievements are lame.

Cloud Saves – If you´re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off (Requires Internet Connection).

I get that this is a "feature" of most steam games nowadays, but since the main character's default name is "Cloud".....

Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

WHAT?!!?! If you're having problems with a part it's called "difficulty curve"! It's part of all RPGs. It's not meant to be easy to the first time player. After you get the hang of it it's almost TOO easy. But THIS? It ruins the entire game for you. Gil really isn't that much of a problem if you're leveling up properly.

Optimized for PC – FINAL FANTASY VII has been updated to support the latest hardware and Windows Operating Systems.

Yeah, it REALLY needs that DirectX 11 interface. :P