Author Topic: gyptNEW - tutorial  (Read 102196 times)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
gyptNEW - tutorial
« on: 2005-08-22 21:54:18 »
Read this first

A fix that usually works, and which renders this program useless:
Hi, first post here  :-D, ok, i was having the exact same problem and i had k-lite codec pack installed, maybe you are on a similar situation

the game apparently has some incompatibility with the avi splitter, a filter that comes with some codec packs. you can either uninstall it or disable it, in k-lite codec pack this can be done by acessing the Codec Tweak tool that comes together, under "disable filter" tab find Avi Splitter (Gabest) and check it, there you go, hope this helps  :-)

In a case that it didn't work for any reason, read the tutorial. You got any questions / problems? Read it again. You might not get an answer to your problem if you ask for anything that is already covered here.

Tutorial - Part1

I've been told, that my gypt *could* be a mystery to some of you, and it's usage to most of you :P. There you go - a tutorial (with screens :)) to use it which covers skipping the gondola crash.

First of all: We need a copy of FF7 that hangs up when playing some of the FMVs, so if your FF7 runs OK, you'll need to change your PC or OS to the correct one :) (seriously, if you're the lucky one and don't experience those crashes, you can stop reading now).

Ok... how to use it? First of all, download it here:

Link to gypt

...and run it. You'll see something like this:

You can forget about that proggy for a while. Run FF7 and load your save-game. Play as normal as you can :P When you get to this point:

(if you don't see this image, it's Cloud and Aeris in the GhostHotelRoom just before the date)

You have to press Ctrl+Shift+F11.

You *should* hear a Beep coming from your Speakers (if your OS is configured to play those :P).

Again, play normally as before. After the GreatPlay, when your Date normally suggests a gondola ride, you should see something like this:

(this is kinda cool, that FF7 just handles this instead of hanging up)

As Aeris says...

...press Ctrl+Shift+F12 and the gypt should stop. You should also hear a Beep again:

gypt is inactive. Save as soon as possible and restart FF7 (you can close gypt now).

Tutorial - Part2

This part of tutorial will cover the usage of the program without using the shortcuts (Ctrl+Shift+F11 and Ctrl+Shift+F12).

Download the program (link above) and run it:

Launch the FF7. Now Alt-Tab from the game, press the "Refresh" button, and you should see something like this:

If the "Previous Window" and/or "Next Window" buttons are active, it means, that you run more than one instance of FF7. Use these buttons to choose the correct FF7-Window:

When you're sure, that this is the correct window, press the "Guard" button.

It caption will change to "Stop" (could be seen above). To stop the guarding, press that button again.

Part3 - Questions and Answers

Q: When to use gypt?
A: Basically it should be activated just before going to Bugenhagen to see his demo and before the date in Gold Saucer.

Q: When closing gypt it says something like "Address wasn't know, please send the debug.dat to the author of the program". What to do?
A: Send the file that had appeared in your gypt directory. It will contain your save-game. Send it to me only if you're ok with that. Sending that file ensures the future gypt-compatibilty with your version of FF7.

Q: Link is dead. Can't download this program. What to do?
A: PM me.

Q: gypt doesn't work with TheSaiNt's HighRes patch. I like this patch and don't want to uninstall it. What to do?
A: It has been fixed. Be sure to download the latest version.

Q: I downloaded some file, but I can't run it. Why?
A: The program is rar-compressed. You need a program to decompress it. Google for RAR.

Q: I have a problem that wasn't mentioned above. What to do?
A: Post it here. I'll try to answer it ASAP.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-07 06:47:29 by dziugo »

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-23 07:50:39 »
Very nice work, this shoud hopefully solve some peoples problems :)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-23 08:16:45 »
That is handy, nice work. It's definitely has useful features a pure save file editor couldn't do now. (btw, that's on its way too)

ttanis

gypt didn't work...
« Reply #3 on: 2005-09-20 07:52:06 »
Let's see...

I am using standard 1.2 patch version with
[The_SaiNt] Hi-Res patch
Chocobo Patch

and I am stuck at Cosmo Canyon.

Process:

I load my saved game.  I have spoken with Rex's father already and have selected my group.  (Ares & Berret)  I run gypt.  I click refresh an no character information appears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #4 on: 2005-09-20 12:17:31 »
Thanks for info.

The SaiNt's patch changes the FF7Window's Caption, and gypt simply can't detect it... It has been fixed and should work with future releases of HighRes patch...

dziugo

ttanis

Thanks!
« Reply #5 on: 2005-09-21 02:01:20 »
I thought that it was an active window naming issue.  

Thank you for the great work you've done on this.

tl2e3le4f

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-05 03:25:40 »
It works for me at the Gondola part, but I have a question. Why does everything move very slowly after I activate gypt (ctrl + shift + f11)? Is it supposed to be like that?

dziugo

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-05 08:38:21 »
Thx for info.

I changed the priority of the guard-thread to normal for some reason (debugging? :P) and forgot to set it back to some lower one... This will be corrected in a few hours...

dziugo

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-05 18:57:17 »
...might what to add a Q:
Q: What is a *.rar file?
A: it's like *.zip file. Find and install a program called Winrar to decompress.

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

tl2e3le4f

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-05 20:46:02 »
Cool. Well thanks for fixing it, gypt helped me get by lots of places.

prtyfli4naznguy

Omg
« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-08 10:19:26 »
THis was beautiful! Thank you so much. I was going to post my 2 gil worth on here about the Cosmo Canyon freeze but this worked wonderfully.

Threesixty

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-12 18:18:51 »
I was wondering...does this program work with all FMV related crashes or just the Date, and the Observatory ones?

The reason I ask is because I still hear a few people having problems with the Bronco FMV.

dziugo

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-13 07:52:37 »
It's coded to bypass CosmoCanyon&GoldSaucer crashes, however, some people say it helped them with other crashes too. I would code it to support Bronco crash, but (thanks go to Larken) now I (probably :P) know what's causing those problems, so I'm working on some "ultimate-fix" :lol:.

dziugo

ancient_heart

Junon...
« Reply #13 on: 2005-10-13 09:11:01 »
It doesn't work on the part in Junon, where Weapon is coming to attack.  :(  Where the fat guy starts running then he stops... Blink! Blink! Can you please do something about this?

dziugo

• View Profile
Re: Junon...
« Reply #14 on: 2005-10-13 12:49:26 »
Quote from: ancient_heart
It doesn't work on the part in Junon, where Weapon is coming to attack.
It's not coded to do so... You can send me your save-game if you want, and I'll get you past that part of the game.

dziugo

prtyfli4naznguy

Question
« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-13 17:39:34 »
Is this the same part where Tifa and Barret have been arrested and are to be executed when all of a sudden weapon attacks and Hiedegar and Rufus are talking? If so, I am having the same issue. If I were to post my save file, would you pass it to the next for me? Much appreciated.

http://www.cjb.cc/members/orderofodin/personal/FF_DISC/save00.ff7

Active e-mail is the same as on forum profile. =(^_^)=

Threesixty

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-13 18:26:01 »
Heh...that's why I quit offering to playthru. You get over-runned.

tonye

gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #17 on: 2005-10-19 15:07:02 »
heys i'm having the same prob as ancient_heart (our game crashed at the junon part where tifa woke up) i was wondering if anyone could help me go pass that part save on a new block.

my save  :   http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2O6AH3DQZ74YY066N60BGDSHPF

dziugo

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #18 on: 2005-12-18 11:40:51 »
Bump (or, should I say, reviving?) & Update:

Bug reported by Jearom had been fixed. There is one unique combination of plot progression variables which gypt didn't recognize. Fixed. Download link hadn't changed (Edit: or maybe it had...).

dziugo

redcloud

gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #19 on: 2006-01-29 09:31:33 »
when's the exact time i have to use GYPT in cosmo canyon??

dziugo

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #20 on: 2006-01-29 10:26:42 »
Just before going to Bugenhagen to see his "demo". Make sure you have 3 characters in your party.

dziugo

redcloud

gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #21 on: 2006-01-30 16:19:15 »
but it doesnt work with me...."GUARD" didnt change to "STOP" whenever i click it...is there something i missed? i already clicked REFRESH and it recognizes my FF7 but it still doesnt remove the crashed fmv..

thanks!!

dziugo

• View Profile
gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #22 on: 2006-01-30 16:33:09 »
The best thing to do is:

1) Run gypt and don't touch anything (even the "refresh" button)
2) Run FF7 & Load your save-game
3) Press Ctrl-Shift-F11
4) Press Ctrl-Shift-F12
5) Save
6) Close FF7
7) Close gypt

5 & 6 are optional, but FF7 doesn't really like Alt-Tabbing. Still doesn't work? Send me your save-game...

dziugo

redcloud

gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #23 on: 2006-01-30 16:45:19 »
still doesnt work for me....there's still no "BEEP" in here...it doesnt responds to CTRL+SHIFT+F11.....heres my save game,its in the 2nd slot..

http://www.exoload.info/106/1138643056.rar

redcloud

gyptNEW - tutorial
« Reply #24 on: 2006-01-30 16:50:17 »
it still doesnt work for me..

heres my save game..

http://www.exoload.info/106/1138643056.rar

thanks a lot!! :)  :)  :)