Author Topic: The Art Topic  (Read 13603 times)

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
The Art Topic
« on: 2007-06-24 11:04:03 »
Well.

I mentioned last time that I am not much into art/drawing.  I had just started drawing again after a 7-year break from high school and the WIP (work-in-progress) I posted back then has only just recently been finished, after over 6 months.  I didn’t have the urge to work on it for 5 months of that time.

I had a reason for starting drawing again back then.  I figured my desire to draw would quickly fade as it always does.

But I got a lot of support and a lot of people liked some of the things I had done.  Your support has kept me going this long, and I thought I would share some of my recent works (though there are not many).

Anime:
Sitting Rei Drawn back at age 15.

Showered Misato Drawn back at age 15.

Portraits:
August This was a WIP from last time.  Finally finished it.  I am really lacking in the dedication department, but I always finish what I start.

Panda 3 This is my current WIP.  I plan to sell this when done.

Other:
Velociraptor This is a drawing from when I was 12.  I was very much into Jurassic Park back then.  This was my first and last colored drawing.

View the rest here.

Thank you all for the support that keeps me going.

Of course, feel free to share your own works.  Hopefully there are more things to show since last time right?
So let’s see them!

L. Spiro
« Last Edit: 2007-07-05 08:05:46 by L. Spiro »

ice_cold513

• View Profile
Re: The Art Topic
« Reply #1 on: 2007-06-29 11:26:20 »
Very nice drawing's there, i liked Above Rei and Asuka.
Here are my one's that i do from time to time, to beat off boredom.

Drawing's

What you think??

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-06-29 13:21:22 »
its passworded.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-06-29 18:05:39 »
Sorry, try it now

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-06-30 04:28:10 »
Looking good, especially Roger Rabbit!

L. Spiro

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-06-30 18:12:10 »
Thank you
I know that on some of them, i could put more detail
I'm not good on life like drawing's,

I do like your life like drawing's L. Spiro

What you next drawing going to-be?

My one is going to be me Manga style

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-01 05:36:27 »
I have a few in mind.

Most of my drawings are from references.  All the portraits are from photos.
I think my next big portrait will be something entirely from my mind.  I will create a new Asian human and name her Six.
Last night I was sick and got a bunch of pain killers at the hospital.  This morning, while very much on drugs, I got a clear vision of this woman in my head, and I want to put her onto paper as soon as I can.

Some people say that drawing from photos is lifeless and only represents technical abilities.
So, for those people, I want to show true creation.

But that will take a while, just as Panda 3 is taking so long now.
So in the meantime I plan to do a few drawings on computer.  I practiced a bit on how to make solid lines.  My lines are still a bit rough but I am getting there.

Also, portraits come in 2 parts.  That is, people have 2 reasons for looking.
People look first to admire the skills of the artist.  They look at the pencil lines and appreciate.
But eventually people get over it, and then they only have one more reason to look at the portrait: the subject.
I have seen people draw photographic portraits, but for some reason mostly of men.  They do not sell so well because once people get over the fact that it is a drawing, they are left looking at some guy’s crooked nose and ugly face.
When you have a portrait that is both drawn well and has a beautiful subject, people are more inclined to buy it, even hang it over their T. V.’s.
Currently my main subject is Panda, a friend of mine in real life.  And people are already waiting for Panda 3 to be finished so they can buy it (deviantArt allows you to sell your art, and someone randomly bought me a subscription, so I can change the prices and make a lot more).

So when Panda 3 is done I plan to talk to Panda about going out and taking some photos that might be more tempting for people to buy, and we can both make money from it.
If that works out well I would plan to start looking for other beautiful subjects to add variety into the gallery; people will probably only buy Panda once or twice and then be hoping for someone new.

L. Spiro

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-07-01 07:27:13 »
i do use references some time's too, when i can't remember or just don't know what they look like.
well, i like Panda 3, 1

I did see that you can sell your drawing's, have you sold any?

I would not mind seeing some W.I.P shot's of you next drawing

You are right about the 2 reason's, but there is a 3rd if the portrait of them self.

Any-way good luck to you

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-07-05 08:10:03 »
I have not sold any from there but I have sold commissions.

Here is the latest portrait.
A commission from someone online, sold for $50 (I was told this is far too cheap but I don’t know how to price art).
J+L

L. Spiro

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-07-05 09:15:10 »
Made some money way to-go

$50 too cheap, i would think that was a-bit high never-mind

good work on the sale

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-07-07 02:13:14 »
I'm actually quite the crappy lolicon (non-hentai) artist. My headshapes sucks and My body proportions are off. And I started a week ago. :p Any tips on proportions?

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-07-07 07:38:00 »
If proportions are your problem, anime is the way to go.
Proportions are virtually a nonissue in anime.
Your heads can be as big as you want or you can have huge arms or whatever.
Pick a style of anime that more closely matches the prportions you have.

After that, benefit from reading a few proportion books or anatomy references online.
For example, the tips of the fingers reach down to the middle of the leg, between the knee and hip.  Most references for proportions can be found sitting in your chair.
Even if you have a huge head like my friend Matt’s.

For most people it helps to simply look down, but when I was 3 I always drew huge thumbs (twice as wide as all other fingers, half as long) on people because that is what I have.  When I was 4 I looked at my mother’s long thin thumbs and aksed her why her thumbs were so messed up.
I then found out that 99.9999% of all of you have those weird long thin thumbs.
Freaks.

L. Spiro

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-07-14 15:54:39 »
This is another work in progress.

A Japanese model.

As always, no smudging in any part of the drawing.

L. Spiro

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-07-15 08:33:43 »
Very good

i might have to draw some-thing, base on a real person.

Maybe Bruce Lee

Good job L. Spiro

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 2007-07-29 07:39:52 »
If that was me, after spending all that effort drawing Panda, it would be hard for me not to feel somewhat involved with the subject.

I hope she adores you in real life for doing this.

Brokenheart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-07-29 16:16:46 »
i've always been bad at drawing until last year when i got grounded for a week. Then i started to draw chcracters from video games and movies. I can try and get at least one of my pictures on the computer. Btw has anyone ever watched full metal alchemist? (As i drew a picture of the main character) if not i can show you a picture of him ^^;;;....

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-08-02 04:27:15 »
If that was me, after spending all that effort drawing Panda, it would be hard for me not to feel somewhat involved with the subject.

I hope she adores you in real life for doing this.
I showed it to her recently and she loved it (even though it is not done).
She agreed to give me other pictures of her to draw from when she did some modeling for an album cover for a band.  These are more professional shots and of a more sensual nature, which should help the drawings sell better.

As for involvement, well, in the beginning it was easy to keep my distance.
A minor issue is her boyfriend (though they have broken up a few times).
The major issue being that, unfortunately, she smokes (though she promised me she would quit after graduating).
Also, I plan to stay single until getting into Japan (which is very soon now).

But as I knew her more and more I found she is my type more than I would have thought.
She is pretty sweet and very sincere, and very faithful.  She told me a story about two little bunnies she had just bought, and one night one of them came up to her and cuddled against her leg.  The next morning, for no reason, that bunny had died, and she told me she cried all day.

Now I am a bit sad to be going to Japan, as I will probably never get to call her or meet her again.
But I will be happy I could know her and I will be content as long as we can at least remain friends and keep contact via e-mail.

L. Spiro

Brokenheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-08-02 10:31:18 »
awesomeness i wish i were as lucky as you but that could never happen to me.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-08-02 11:29:54 »
LOL I can honestly say your the only other person I've heard use awesomeness but me :-P

And Spiro man thats some deep stuff, good luck with the whole japan thing.

Jari

« Reply #19 on: 2007-08-02 12:05:04 »
awesomeness i wish i were as lucky as you but that could never happen to me.

Don't feel too bad. Spiro is made of lies and bullsh*t after all - and multiple personalities too, so chances are that the only honest thing in that post was his pseudonym.

Not that I'd care, but I do enjoy being mean to liars and holier-than-thous, and especially to our dear Spiro. :D

EDIT: That reminds me, hey Spiro, you were bragging so much how you already had counter arguments ready for that certain post of mine. They never materialized. What happened to them, your dog ate them, or something? :-D
« Last Edit: 2007-08-02 12:07:19 by Jari »

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-02 12:21:03 »
Wow I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming... lol

Brokenheart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-02 21:35:54 »
LOL I can honestly say your the only other person I've heard use awesomeness but me :-P

And Spiro man thats some deep stuff, good luck with the whole japan thing.

I've been using awesomeness for many years. and that was a little unexpected possibly?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-13 18:45:26 »
Very nice work!!  :-D

One of mine.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-24 17:10:45 »
Not bad, though I am not sure I get the message (if there is one to be gotten).

Well my drawing of Panda does not look as though it has progressed much, but in fact I went over basically every part and touched up tons of things, added the hair to the left side, and had it professionally scanned at Fujifilm, a combination that I felt worthy of a progress update.  Plus I have some news.  But first the picture.

Panda 3 WIP 7 (9 months and counting [when will I get off my lazy ass and draw?]).  Click image for full view and story.

Now some news.
This picture is to appear in an art book, later this year I believe.  I am in contact with the publisher already, and assuming Panda grants her permission, and assuming I finish by the end of September, it will appear in an art book.
Depending on where it is used in the book I should receive $1 for each issue sold (per picture).
My drawing of August will also appear and falls under the same guidelines.

Assuming both girls grant their permissions (and they should, especially Panda who has done modeling for band album covers and magazines already), I will enter a contract and have 2 pictures in the book and make $2 per issue sold.

The book is called Book of Art.  A pretty straight-forward name I would have used myself had I decided to publish an art book (think of my software named Memory Hacking Software).
I will know more details about it later and I will give details as to where it can be purchased and how, for those interested.

Now if I can just sit my ass down and finish Panda 3…
It’s really taking a toll on my sanity since I would rather be programming or playing a game or playing piano.  I have to force myself to sit and draw each time when I want to be doing other things.
But with the prospect of money hopefully I will feel more inclined to work on it.

L. Spiro

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-26 11:31:31 »
Not bad, though I am not sure I get the message (if there is one to be gotten).

No... No message... Just remember to not run out od TP... Thats pretty much it.